Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-10-31 18:00:26

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Re: QM - The Haunted Mint

Apparently my plans changed. I'm now editing photos from my trip and listening to music. There was pizza & candy, though, so that part wasn't different, lol. Will make an imgur album and post some when they're all done!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#27 2017-11-01 00:41:50

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Maen Mint!

Busy day yesterday. First spent all day at the client, and then I had a recorder lesson.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#28 2017-11-01 01:07:14

ylvs
Mantis

Gmaen Mint.

Yes Firs, application was sent, now all cross your fingers for Daughter1.1
Feel kinda sick today. Let's see how the day goes ...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#29 2017-11-01 01:21:42

Sahi
Mantis
Website

There, _now_ I've done some Christmas shopping! I bought the new Lego women from Nasa set. And then a little extra to qualify for the free Lego Christmas set. So I also bought some gift wrapping and a small Christmas set for Ivo.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#30 2017-11-01 02:48:10

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Counting down the hours until the conference season starts. (Mostly because there isn't much else to do.)

T minus 6 hours and 13 minutes!

Scrollbearer

#31 2017-11-01 02:50:20

Merenwen
Pilgrim

elfenthanz wrote:

What I came in to say: Merenwen-mom doing ok so far?

Thanks for asking. She is doing ok so far. There is still pain and she has still problems with moving her right arm, but she tries to go on as before. Actually she is doing a bit too much of the housework again for my taste, but well, neither I nor my father can stop her when we are at work. She is so stubborn sometimes and doesn't accept much help.

We are still waiting for the hospital's call. When I said the lymphnodes weren't affected, it was the result of a quick test during the surgery, but they sent two lymphnodes to the laboratory for a detailed test and wait for the results before planning the next step. If there really is nothing, then it is possible that there are no further treatments necessary.

#32 2017-11-01 02:52:47

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Also: Gmaen Mint!

*crosses fingers for Daughter1.1*

*throws golden jellybeans at Ylvs*

*waves at Kenan* Have fun on your trip! :)

#33 2017-11-01 03:34:10

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

I guess people tend the graves on Allerheiligen because they don't have time at Allerseelen?

I don't know if it's different in the east of Austria, but no, here, on All Saints Day, you create a huge traffic jam in all the villages and tiny towns because everyone has to go to the graveyard at a certain time, and then you have to stand around awkwardly at your grandfather's grave and talk to people who know you, but who you don't have the faintest clue who they are, and everyone looks at the badly-tended graves and whispers about what horrible people they are to not put fresh flowers there, and then I think the priest walks around and blesses the grave, and then you leave and create another traffic jam.
So, yeah, that's the plan for today.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#34 2017-11-01 03:47:02

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*hugs*

Scrollbearer

#35 2017-11-01 03:55:49

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Sounds like a great day, Magpie... :(

#36 2017-11-01 04:21:57

Merenwen
Pilgrim

The mood here at work is great again as well. Colleague is grumpy again and there isn't much talking in the office, so I spend my time with catching up with the Mint and watching the news from Paris Games Week to distract myself from time to time. I have work to do of course, but it is nothing urgent and I can take my time today.

And well, I just watched the new trailer for the PS4 remake of Shadow of the Colossus and am all nostalgic and teary-eyed and hyped and excited for this masterpiece... I know it is stupid to pay the full price for a game I have already played a few years ago, but... I WANT IT!!! (uninteresting news for you, I know, as well as my excitement for the new FFXV DLC trailer - which is probably going to be disappointing again, but my little fangirl heart already jumps. :D)

So, something positive for me at least. :)

Last edited by Merenwen (2017-11-01 04:22:51)

#37 2017-11-01 04:52:29

Sahi
Mantis
Website

We all get excited over silly stuff every now and then! Did I mention I just bought a ton of Lego? *knows perfectly well that she did*

Scrollbearer

#38 2017-11-01 06:11:17

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves in a silly way*
*crashes*

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#39 2017-11-01 06:58:01

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*props Peter up with a mountain of pillows*

My radio has arrived with the neighbors, my banner has arrived with my mom, and my stickers are on their way. (Oh and the Christmas cards had already arrived yesterday.)

Hurray to speedy packages!

Scrollbearer

#40 2017-11-01 07:14:56

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Just found out I hadn't eaten my lunch yet. No wonder I was starting to hunt for snacks... *is now eating sandwiches instead*

Scrollbearer

#41 2017-11-01 08:12:47

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Gmaen Mint.

Yes Firs, application was sent, now all cross your fingers for Daughter1.1
Feel kinda sick today. Let's see how the day goes ...

*crosses fingers, presses thumbs*
Hope you feel better, Ylvs.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#42 2017-11-01 08:38:44

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*waves back at Peter, also in a silly way*

I hope you are enjoying your free day so far?

#43 2017-11-01 08:48:26

Merenwen
Pilgrim

On a side note: My colleagues just said that I am not normal because I am the only one not freezing in our office. I am sitting here with a shirt, the heating is on and the windows are closed and it is actually too warm for my taste, but neither do they want to open the window for a single minute nor turn the heating a bit down. I already went out for walk during my lunch break to get some fresh air, although it was raining. No wonder I start to feel tired in here.

#44 2017-11-01 09:14:57

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Heh, I'm usually in the opposite boat. I'm *always* freezing. So I wear a sweater. Then I get the inevitable "Are you cold?" questions.

The training we were in a couple months ago, I brought my sweater in, because sometimes the room gets too hot so I wasn't sure if I'd need it. But it didn't, and I ended up sitting in the chair with it draped over me like a blanket. Someone (not in our department, but who usually works closely with us) asked if I was cold. I replied, in as dead-pan of a voice as I could, that no, I wasn't cold, I just liked wearing my sweater. And... I'm pretty sure she took me seriously. Everyone *else* knew I was just giving a sarcastic answer, so we all had a laugh about it later.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#45 2017-11-01 10:18:14

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Merenwen wrote:

*waves back at Peter, also in a silly way*

I hope you are enjoying your free day so far?

*waves back back*

Not doing anything special, really. Not doing much at all. I just had some more sleep and am feeling better now, though I may regret this when trying to sleep tonight.

Bit bored, really. I have not gotten into a fresh game, or clawed my way back into the games I already started. Books don't seem to do much for me either at the moment and movies only work some of the time.

#46 2017-11-01 10:21:14

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Count me in on "always cold". Part of it is probably that I am used to high temperatures from my parent's place, but most of it is my strange body.

#47 2017-11-01 11:57:40

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Merenwen wrote:

Sounds like a great day, Magpie... :(

Turns out the graveyard, while drizzly, was actually the better part of the day. Because my aunt and uncle came over to my grandmother's place for coffee and cake, and my uncle and I do not get along. So there were several small clashes, and one point where I almost started to cry (two, really, but only one directly caused by my uncle) and two instances of me categorically refusing to discuss a subject with him.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#48 2017-11-01 12:02:53

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*hugs Magpie*

#49 2017-11-01 12:22:00

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Gmaen mint!

fingers are crossed for daughter 1.1, ylvs! And boooohhh to the approaching cold! *adds some golden jellybeans to some cold bath essence*

*hugs Magpie* Sounds like this was quite a day. Relatives can be soo annoying!

Glad that your mom is doing ok, Merenwen :-)

We had tons of kids coming for treats yesterday. The cutest ones were two little girls (maybe 3 or 4) who were dressed up as pumpkins. They were accompanied by their mom, who was also dressed up - as black cat. What a cute trio they were :-)

#50 2017-11-01 12:27:11

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Okay, I have allowed myself some brainless tumblr-time, and now I must attempt to NaNo. I think I'll cheat and write a blog post and count that towards my wordcount, because I have been meaning to write that for ages.

- Tad

Board footer