Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#351 2017-11-10 04:18:09

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: QM - The Haunted Mint

I'm cold, I'm cold, I'm cold!

I was feeling pretty good about work today, but then I got a really chatty customer, and spent half an hour talking to him outside, which a.) half an hour in which I didn't get any work done and b.) half an hour outside in the cold without moving.
I literally just ran up and down the stairs until I was out of breath, but I'm still cold, and the "hot" water is barely warmer than my cold fingers, and even though the heating has been on for a while, the shop/work room (where my lunch table is) is still only about 12°C. (Because we're just burning old wooden boxes, which, well, yes, fill up the furnace, but produce very little heat. Not even the furnace room is very warm.)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#352 2017-11-10 04:47:01

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Yes, I finished the living room yesterday. Should do the bedroom today, if my back is up for it. I want to at least get all the dusting and tidying done, even if I skip the floor.

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#353 2017-11-10 07:26:20

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Well, we just had our first snow of the year. And now the sun is trying to peak out.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#354 2017-11-10 07:54:02

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Sounds like your sun isn't sure about this. Is it really safe? Or should she go back behind the clouds?

#355 2017-11-10 10:05:55

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Finally finished the most pressing task at work, despite all interruptions. (Or, well. Mostly finished.)

And I'm enjoying my nanowrimo story so much.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#356 2017-11-10 10:27:53

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Are you still making good progress on that, Magpie?

#357 2017-11-10 11:13:29

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Maen Mint! Back home now, waiting for when it's time they I can get to bed. :)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#358 2017-11-10 11:14:40

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Oh, and today we received our new radio yet again... So now we have two!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#359 2017-11-10 11:19:39

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Are you still making good progress on that, Magpie?

Not as much as I want to (especially since we had dance practise yesterday), but it's going pretty well. I want to say a hundred things about it, but I should probably head over to the Writers' Place for that.

- Tad

#360 2017-11-10 12:20:26

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Diorna wrote:

We are planning our day tomorrow. My husband wants to visit his mother, who is in the hospital (radiation is bad). We won't take the kids inside, because apparantly she is looking horrible (radiation is really bad) and the risk of infection for the patients, so I will spend the day with them and my sister-in-law in Constance. We hit the exact 600-year-anniversary of the election of the pope during the Council of Constance, so there is a procession of reanactors we will probably watch. (My mother-in-law works as a historian in Constance and sewed a few of the historical costumes and is/was pretty involved in all the festivities of this four-year-long anniversary). I just hope, the city will not be too crowded and we will find a place to eat with the kids. And parking. O.o

How is your mother, Merenwen?

She got the test results yesterday. The doctor said that she won't need radiation or chemo therapy, which is great news. However, the tumor cell growth was apparantly influenced by hormones, so she has to undergo an antihormone therapy now. She is going to talk about it with her gynecologist next week. The surgery wound still hurts and a part of the area feels numb, but otherwise she is quite ok.

Sorry your mother-in-law has to go through this. I will cross my fingers for her.

And I hope you will have a nice day with the kids tomorrow.

#361 2017-11-10 16:59:24

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Didn't make a lot of progress on cleaning today (only a good bit of dusting) and spent my time napping and watching tournaments.

Now I'll have a hard time sleeping...

#362 2017-11-10 17:00:34

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I'm glad your mother won't have to undergo chemotherapy, Merenwen. I hope her body won't struggle too much with the hormone treatment.

#363 2017-11-11 04:24:15

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

*waves good morning to everyone*

These are very good news, Merenwen! The hormone approach is much lighter than chemotherapy or radiation.

I meet with some friends yesterday for a St.Martins goose dinner. The restaurant did offer a whole roasted  goose and it was the best I had in many years *rubs her belly*. We were five ladies and we devoured the bird completely. I'm still stuffed beyond all reason :-)

#364 2017-11-11 04:43:42

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves at Kia*

That sounds fabulous! I have similar plans for tomorrow :D

#365 2017-11-11 05:35:59

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I'm always waving pom poms to cheer people onwards... I wonder if they could be used to dust surfaces as well? How is there so much dust in my apartment? Where does it come from? What does it want?

#366 2017-11-11 06:47:46

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*waves anti-dust pom poms for Peter*

#367 2017-11-11 06:55:52

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Finished dusting the bedroom and vacuumed the floor. Still needs some tidying and I should wash the floor as well. If I can get that done today, I'll be happy. Still 2.5 rooms left after that.

#368 2017-11-11 09:35:37

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I think I'll try to take a day off work next week, because I have too many things I want to do, and not enough time to do them.

- Tad

#369 2017-11-11 12:22:10

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Sounds like a good plan, Magpie!

I had a lovely day of playing games.

Scrollbearer

#370 2017-11-11 15:29:38

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Breakfasted with friend today, which was fun. Swapped silly work stories, and frustrating work stories, and regular life stories. Then I ran some errands, and raked some leaves once I got home. Not all of them, by any means, but I did clear out the side of the driveway and the back patio, which are just... Leaf magnets or something. The ones in the yard I will probably mow over. We've had some crazy wind the past week or so, and I think a bunch of our leaves were relocated as a result.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#371 2017-11-12 02:24:39

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves good morning*

#372 2017-11-12 05:13:32

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*waves back*

Scrollbearer

#373 2017-11-12 05:20:23

ylvs
Mantis

Hullo dears.

Was at barcamp in Wiesbaden yesterday. It was awesome, mindblowing even. On design thinking, lean management, agility. Stuff I had no idea about. I went there because one of my Denmark friends (who wa one of the organisators) thought I might be interested and asked me to volunteer which I did. So many interesting peeps. So much energy, so many inspiring sessions. Awesome. Very exhausting as well. I almost fell asleep on the train home.
Today is all quiet. Husband has a bad cold (I still successfully fight mine) kids are doing stuff and I am reading a manuscript. No, not Dog's which is still not done but a short story by Aidan Moher (former a Dribble of Ink) which I volunteered to beta read. This is my true voaction. I which I could beta read for a living ...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#374 2017-11-12 08:04:53

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I'm not feeling great today. Maybe just because it's been a dark, cloudy day, and the weekend is almost over again already... in any case, I just made myself a large mug of hot chocolate, and I'll sit and drink that, and then I'll turn on some music and clean something, and hope that all of these things will make me feel better.

- Tad

#375 2017-11-12 09:21:58

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I've joined the "stuffed with goose" club. I shall not move for a couple hours.

Board footer