Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-30 17:52:38

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

QM - The Haunted Mint

It's a dark and stormy night. Your chest heaves, your body trying to replenish all the oxygen you spent running away from the inferno. Your pace slows, and you pause under cover of a tree, looking for a new place to shelter.

Off in the distance, a light flickers.

Like a moth to a flame, you set off, hoping to find something with at least a partial roof.

You approach a run-down looking shack. The siding is falling off, the porch is caved in in places, and the roof has a noticeable bow in the center. Is this place really the best you could come up with?

You turn away, despite the rain and cold, not convinced this is a safe place. But suddenly the wind rustles through the trees, and brings with it a faint "Aaaaooooooohhhhhhh!"

Ok, that settles it, this place is good enough.

You run up the stairs, and open the door into near darkness.

A fire is burning low in the fireplace. You stoke it up a bit, ok a lot, higher with the wood piled next to it.

With more light, you can see there is a bar stretching the length of the opposite wall. It is covered in dust, and cobwebs surround bottles of liquor.

You venture behind the bar and crack open a bottle of Kraken. You pour a shot and leave it on the bar. After a long swig, you rummage around and find a couple nails and a hammer. Wouldn't want people to miss this place, after all.

Soon, the door has a sign hanging on it, a bit singed around the edges, but still the same trusty sign, proclaiming this to be "The Quiller's Mint". Hopefully the others will see it.

You close the door and are about to take the bottle over to the fire, when you notice the shot glass on the bar is empty.

Sighing, you fill it back up before turning back to the warmth of the fire.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#2 2017-10-30 18:15:32

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM - The Haunted Mint

*leaves extra beer for Reg*

#3 2017-10-30 18:51:45

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

It is covered in dust, and cobwebs surround

Sounds like my library, these days...

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#4 2017-10-30 18:56:30

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

Ad1tu wrote:

Oooo, palindrome post count, Firs! 23032!

Yay, happy palindrome post count firs!!

Peter wrote:

*sprinkles some glitter on Firsfron*

Awww, thanks, guys!
Well-noticed! We've got to take note of these uber-important milestones, and I appreciate the glitter!

*puts glitter in scrapbook*

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#5 2017-10-31 01:23:05

ylvs
Mantis

Gmaen Mint!

*cleans one of the dusty glasses*

*makes some tea*

*sits by the fire*

Exactly the place I envisioned. Well done, Ad1tu!

I love this extraordinary holiday! Can we have a 500 anniversary of Luther thesis nailing every year now?

Also I wonder why nobody ever discusses how he would have nailed a paper to a metal door ... but it is certainly a better story than "and he sent his 95 thesis to the bishops and cloisters all around."

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#6 2017-10-31 01:40:51

ylvs
Mantis

And now I am gonna bake rolls to make family happy when they wake up ...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#7 2017-10-31 01:58:51

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves good morning*

*cleans his glass on the inside only, to keep the flair intact*

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#8 2017-10-31 04:40:23

ylvs
Mantis

Breakfast done.

Now I am gonna proof read Daughter1.1's application for UWC which has to be uploaded by midnight.

Scrollbearer

#9 2017-10-31 04:43:03

elfenthanz
Pilgrim

*flaps in, looking quite smoked*

Hey there! So, Gmean, since it's morning here :)

I fear I fell asleep in the recovery mint ...

*searches for water*

Both snow and the flower itself were unlikely to have been found in the Holy Land in those days, but that has never hurt the story's popularity.  Prologue

#10 2017-10-31 05:09:17

elfenthanz
Pilgrim

Ylvs! So nice you're in, I want you and everyone in the mint to understand this very precisely:

Oh my God I do not have a problem with you banning me!
You acted on orders! I have no problem with that whatsoever, what were you supposed to do!

Then you even made it go away again, after having listened to me. I am grateful for that.

Kenan, you think arguing in the mint is ok? Fine, then I may tell you: I do not think I deserved that harsh tone. I had just written I shared your opinion that I should shut up about my problem here.

Look, friends, I've just suffered a severe social trauma, or rather the mirroring of old trauma, and I'll just leave you alone until I'm over it, whatever way.

Have an awesome time.

Aditu, this mint is lovely :)

Peter, Olaf, Ylva, Eva, Kia, you're free to share my personal contact data with whomever you please.
Thanks for the lovely times this autumn. I'll be back.

Gnaem

Both snow and the flower itself were unlikely to have been found in the Holy Land in those days, but that has never hurt the story's popularity.  Prologue

#11 2017-10-31 07:31:04

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Lily I’m sorry you thought I was being harsh. I assure you I wasn’t. Only trying to be neutral and to the point. I hope if you read what I wrote again you will see I used no harsh words, and intended no hurt.

Of course arguing must be allowed, as long as it’s done level-headedly?

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#12 2017-10-31 07:36:34

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Nice Mint, Ad1tu!

It is also nice to have an extra holiday today. Not that I do something  exciting, but being able to sleep in is always a plus.

#13 2017-10-31 08:43:32

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Today is a national holiday in Germany? Interesting.
We have tomorrow off in Austria and Schools are closed on Thursday as well.

#14 2017-10-31 09:11:05

ylvs
Mantis

Yep. 500 years of Reformation. In many parts tomorrow is off as well for all Saints but not here ...

Scrollbearer

#15 2017-10-31 09:55:04

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

We celebrate all saints tomorrow. Actually we don't. We just take the day off.

#16 2017-10-31 10:46:50

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*packs up some hugs and sends them after Lily* Take care of yourself!

Today and yesterday have been very busy. Because, no, Peter, we do not just take the day off on All Saints Day, there's still plenty of people who celebrate it by visiting the graveyards, and buying lots of flowers to make the graves look good (because otherwise, what will all the people say?!)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#17 2017-10-31 11:07:45

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

In theory that's for Thursday, right? Which is not a day off for most.

#18 2017-10-31 11:09:51

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Don't get me wrong though, I'm happy buy a lot of plants and flowers from you :)

#19 2017-10-31 11:18:36

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

In theory that's for Thursday, right? Which is not a day off for most.

No, tomorrow. We're going to visit my grandfather's grave, too, to make my grandmother happy.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#20 2017-10-31 12:47:51

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I guess people tend the graves on Allerheiligen because they don't have time at Allerseelen?

#21 2017-10-31 13:23:37

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

*waves from Basel*
Mostly just seen it in the dark of night yet, but seems like a lovely city. We’ve been to the autumn fair and had bratwurst and pretzels, but so far no glüh wein.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#22 2017-10-31 14:40:46

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

*waves from Basel*
Mostly just seen it in the dark of night yet, but seems like a lovely city. We’ve been to the autumn fair and had bratwurst and pretzels, but so far no glüh wein.

Yay!

Enjoy Switzerland, Kenan! And, presumably, France and Germany as well!

#23 2017-10-31 15:13:52

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*wanders back in finally*

Long day. Apparently there was much ... Uhh ... Frustration, I think is the best word, while I was gone from work.

Plans for tonight? Pizza (leftovers), popcorn, candy, and gonna find a scary movie! Maybe The Shining? (Kubrick version) Or maybe I'll find something on Hulu to watch. Decisions!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#24 2017-10-31 15:27:59

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Oh, you're in Basel already? Have fun!

#25 2017-10-31 17:45:33

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Breakfast done.

Now I am gonna proof read Daughter1.1's application for UWC which has to be uploaded by midnight.

Hope it went well!

Board footer