Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-10-19 13:53:30

Diorna
Pilgrim

Re: QM - The Moot Recovery Station

Merenwen wrote:

Diorna wrote:

I'm hoping with you!

(And please tell me, it's not breast cancer!)

It is breast cancer. I don't know how bad it is yet, because she has the appointment to speak about it with the doctor tomorrow. I messed this up, I thought it was today.

Oh no. :/
My mother-in-law is going through the same right now. She was in surgery last week. The waiting for the 100.000 doctors appointments is almost the hardest part.

Last edited by Diorna (2017-10-19 13:56:11)

#52 2017-10-19 15:06:59

Merenwen
Pilgrim

I am sorry to hear that, Diorna. How is she? Does she get a chemotherapy as well?

#53 2017-10-19 15:17:13

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Looks like I have a talent to ruin the mood with bad news here... Please, feel free to go on with your conversations. I just came up with it now because Diorna addressed the topic.

#54 2017-10-19 15:27:46

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I may not always know what to say, Merenwen, but I think we would all much rather give you the space here to talk about these things that have you bottle them up.

*hugs again and falls into bed*

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#55 2017-10-19 22:26:12

cyan
Mantis

Merenwen wrote:

It is breast cancer. I don't know how bad it is yet, because she has the appointment to speak about it with the doctor tomorrow. I messed this up, I thought it was today.

Diorna wrote:

Oh no. :/
My mother-in-law is going through the same right now. She was in surgery last week. The waiting for the 100.000 doctors appointments is almost the hardest part.

I spent most of 2015 being treated for breast cancer.  I was diagnosed in February 2015, and then 4 months later, my sister (5 years my senior) was also diagnosed with breast cancer.  So I have experienced being treated for breast cancer while simultaneously trying to be there for my sister being treated for the same thing, and she for me.  The good news is: we're both fine and healthy now!

Merenwen, Diorna, I am very sorry that your mother/mother-in-law are/will be going through this.  Know that breast cancer is survivable and treatment isn't as arduous as it used to be.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#56 2017-10-19 23:26:47

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*hugs merenwen* we all spill the good things and the bad things in our lives. It's not your fault if there isn't much of the good bits to tell! Please keep sharing!

I'm going to be preparing for my niece's visit tonight. She'll be staying two nights. *bounces excitedly*

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#57 2017-10-19 23:30:55

Diorna
Pilgrim

cyan wrote:

The good news is: we're both fine and healthy now!

Merenwen, Diorna, I am very sorry that your mother/mother-in-law are/will be going through this.  Know that breast cancer is survivable and treatment isn't as arduous as it used to be.

Thank you for that encouragement!
And I'm glad you and your sister both made it through!

Merenwen wrote:

I just came up with it now because Diorna addressed the topic.

I wasn't sure whether you wanted people to ask, but it sounded just so much like it.

Merenwen wrote:

I am sorry to hear that, Diorna. How is she? Does she get a chemotherapy as well?

She won't for now. They'll start her on radiation, because it has already spread, but the prognosis seems to be good altogether. She is incredibly strong and brave and positive - most of the time, of course sometimes it gets to her, but all in all. And last week on top of everything else her own mother died, of old age, without suffering and we were expecting it for some time now, but still. And yet she is the one who is comforting her children more than the other way around!

#58 2017-10-20 01:25:50

ylvs
Mantis

Gmaen Mint.

Hit fully by post-moot depression now. I don't even want to get up and make coffee ...

#59 2017-10-20 01:44:26

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Mee, too.

I am staying in today. Reading, sleeping, being lazy...

But I have had coffee and will have more :-)

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#60 2017-10-20 02:11:30

ylvs
Mantis

Managed coffee as well by now. New challenge: getting dressed and packing, Train back leaves in two hours.

#61 2017-10-20 02:12:16

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Have a safe trip back home....

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#62 2017-10-20 02:22:43

ylvs
Mantis

Thankee, Olaf.

And I only know have read this Mint. My thought are with you and your dear ones, Diorna and Merenwen. Cancer is such an asshole.

#63 2017-10-20 02:33:35

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves tiredly*

When the first alarm went off, I was hoping for a mix up, but by the third alarm I had to discard the notion and get up to face the day...

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#64 2017-10-20 02:35:07

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Save the pope, ylvs!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#65 2017-10-20 02:40:41

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Have a safe trip home, Ylvs!

*tiredly waves at tired Smarchers*

#66 2017-10-20 03:07:13

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Diorna wrote:

cyan wrote:

The good news is: we're both fine and healthy now!

Thank you for that encouragement!
And I'm glad you and your sister both made it through!

Yes, I had to think of you, Cyan, when my mother got the diagnosis. I remember the posts about your treatment here on this board and I try to stay a bit more optimistic because of it. The thing is just that my mother is in a very bad physical state in general and I just hope that a chemo isn't necessary.

A couple of years ago she also had bladder cancer. Fortunately the tumor could be removed without any damage and it hasn't come back since then. But then she got the COPD diagnosis and developed a heavy lung emphysema. She has to take a lot of meds and oxygen to get through the day by now, and the meds have really bad side effects that cause other problems too. I don't want to write down her entire health history, but I am just scared that she won't be able to fight against this shit as well. She only weighs 40 kg. It is all a bit too much. 

I wasn't sure whether you wanted people to ask, but it sounded just so much like it.

Well, I actually wanted to wait until I know more myself. But you just hit the mark with your post and I thought it doesn't matter if I would bring this up now.

#67 2017-10-20 03:53:42

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Magpie wrote:

I may not always know what to say, Merenwen, but I think we would all much rather give you the space here to talk about these things that have you bottle them up.

*hugs again and falls into bed*

And I am happy that I have you to talk about it. This isn't easy for me either. I just wanted to encourage you to go on with your post-moot talk and happy conversations nevertheless. I did not want to drag the good mood down. In fact, I could use some Smarch silliness, jokes and just some distracting conversations. :)

#68 2017-10-20 04:35:13

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Okay, here's some silliness, courtesy of Herr Journeyman: "Stop throwing branches at me! Or I will - scowl at you! You are making a very harmless enemy here!"

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#69 2017-10-20 04:45:30

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Magpie wrote:

Okay, here's some silliness, courtesy of Herr Journeyman: "Stop throwing branches at me! Or I will - scowl at you! You are making a very harmless enemy here!"

He'd make an excellent Simon :D

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#70 2017-10-20 04:46:14

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*delivers daily hugs to Merenwen*

40kg is really not a lot :/ .

#71 2017-10-20 05:52:07

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Sorry, not much sillyness here. I've done a load of laundry, did the dishes, and knitted a lot. I'm about to brave the weather to see if my friend's package has had another delivery attempt (hopefully they left some sign of it this time).

Scrollbearer

#72 2017-10-20 05:54:01

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

But that's a silly amount of work you did so early in the day, Sahi!

#73 2017-10-20 06:14:20

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

:(

*leaves hugs for Merenwen*

I'm sorry.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#74 2017-10-20 06:44:52

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

*leaves tons of hugs for Merenwen* I don't know what to say *hugs again*

#75 2017-10-20 09:51:25

Diorna
Pilgrim

*distracting away*

We spent a day in our old life today, with the 5 year old having the rare opportunity to visit his old kindergarden and me chatting away lazily with a friend while the 3 year old took her living room apart. Turned out it wasn't such a great idea. I was expecting the older one to become a bit homesick, but in the end it was the little one who screamed for about half an hour "I want to live in our home again! The new house is not our home, it is only xyz-village! This is our home, I want to live in our home again!" untill he fell asleep on the bus completely exhausted. Then the older one took over, crying silent huge tears, confessing that he liked the new house better, but he wanted it to be closer to the old kindergarden so he could go there. I almost cried with them, even though I don't miss that crammed, badly soundproofed apartment at all.

Board footer