Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-20 03:22:15

Sahi
Mantis
Website

QM - The new office

As it was time for a new Mint and I'll soon be working from a new office...

Welcome to the new office. This Mint looks surprisingly like an office. But don't worry, there is a very large, well-stocked pantry. You might want to open a few cabinets to find the glasses and the fridge and stuff, but it's all there, hidden behind a shiny, new, gleaming facade.

There is also a very comfortable couch in the corner, and a high table with bar stools to enjoy your drink or snack.

Never mind the poor sods sitting behind the desks slaving away behind their keyboards. Some of them might even join in on our discussions in secret!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#2 2017-09-20 04:06:35

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM - The new office

*waves at the poor sods*

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#3 2017-09-20 04:31:03

ylvs
Mantis

*eyes new Mint suspiciously*

Are there comfy chairs?

BWAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

#4 2017-09-20 05:21:32

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*adds comfy chairs to the corner with the couch*

I've sort of modeled this 'office' on my current office, as I think I'll miss it a lot in the near future...

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#5 2017-09-20 05:26:46

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Well, office chairs are usually fairly comfy :)
Much better than what you have in most bars or restaurants.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#6 2017-09-20 06:24:20

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Oh, it's so nice to be home this early. I've already made and eaten some food, and now I'll make more, namely a big pot of chicken soup, since I never have time for that any more, and then while that is cooking, I'll clean some things.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#7 2017-09-20 06:58:08

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Go Magpie, go!

Scrollbearer

#8 2017-09-20 10:08:45

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Repotted/cut back/made cuttings of most of the plants at the kitchen window, planted a lot of winter vegetables on the balcony, and bought new ring binders so I can organise my school things better (because I'll definitely need/want to look some stuff up later, so I'm keeping most of them, but the mismatched binders are making me unhappy.)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#9 2017-09-20 10:40:49

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

*admires the shiny new office* *takes one of the strange-cups-which-always-end-up-in-the-office from the cabinet and brews herself some green tea*

Shiny! *waves at the sods*

thanks to all the meetings and appointments today I had to skip lunch after already skipping breakfast. I'm  hungry. Very much so. *prepares herself for a heavy case of fridge-robbery*

#10 2017-09-20 14:15:50

Magpie
Mantis
Website

And now both the kitchen and the bathroom are all the way clean.

It feels good.

I would love to do more, but it's still good to have done this much.

- Tad

#11 2017-09-20 18:44:45

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Man... I was cranky earlier today. We had to take my husband's car to the dealership for an oil change and have them look at the fuel system, he kept getting a check engine light and "gascap" thrown up on the dash. But we had to take it to the dealer 30 miles down the highway, past the city, in rush hour traffic... So that was fun. Then we get there and find out the factory warranty expired a week ago, so he said forget the check engine light, it magically went away a couple of days ago anyway, whatever. But he was understandably grumpy at driving so far for an oil change. And on the drive back, work started bugging him, so he got grumpy about THAT. So his grumpies ended up rubbing off on me...

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#12 2017-09-20 22:59:24

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I want to go to the recycling center after work today, because I want to get rid of all this broken stuff, but I also... don't want to. I want to hide, and to not deal with places I don't know well, and having to ask where to put anything..

And I realised my period is supposed to start in the next couple of days, which makes the idea of travelling over the weekend even less appealing.

- Tad

#13 2017-09-20 23:23:43

cyan
Mantis

Hello Minters!!!!  *grins and waves*

Magpie wrote:

And I realised my period is supposed to start in the next couple of days, which makes the idea of travelling over the weekend even less appealing.

Yeah, I don't miss that aspect of body function AT ALL.  I didn't want to procreate anyway so, for me, that was the only* positive consequence of chemo.

* The other positive consequence is my hair is growing out curly and I don't know what to do with it.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#14 2017-09-20 23:55:06

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*waves at cyan and the other Minters*

Maen all!

Last day in the office.

Scrollbearer

#15 2017-09-21 04:05:49

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Had a meeting at the Chamber of Agriculture, with several advisors, about contracts and stuff for next year.

- Tad

#16 2017-09-21 04:10:16

Magpie
Mantis
Website

cyan wrote:

Hello Minters!!!!  *grins and waves*

Magpie wrote:

Yeah, I don't miss that aspect of body function AT ALL.  I didn't want to procreate anyway so, for me, that was the only* positive consequence of chemo.

I don't mind it as such, but I do mind that we're expected to just function as normal, as if I'm not tired as hell and uncomfortable at best and in pain at worst, and that we're expected not to talk about it in case we make a man uncomfortable with it.

- Tad

#17 2017-09-21 04:16:53

Sahi
Mantis
Website

The office is already getting pretty empty...

And wouldn't it be awesome if we would all just work for three weeks and then got a week off? If that was default, and the weeks would just alternate... (Not sure how it would really work out, but I'm sure with a bit of effort it could work.)

Scrollbearer

#18 2017-09-21 04:32:22

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I wouldn't even need a week, just two days would be fine. Or just being able to take it easy at work, sit down when I need to, and being able to use a hot water bottle without getting any strange looks.
(Honestly, that is one of the main reasons why I want to move the office at work upstairs, because now it's just a desk that can be seen from the shop. I want to have a place to hide.

- Tad

#19 2017-09-21 06:55:54

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*builds a blanket fortress upstairs* There you go!

Scrollbearer

#20 2017-09-21 08:14:33

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves at everyone*

Bodies are such inconvenient things at times :( .

I have once again completely broken my sleep cycle. Too many naps I guess, though I still don't know why I couldn't sleep until 9am. That's a bit extreme, dear body, could we go back to 4am please?

#21 2017-09-21 08:49:18

Diorna
Pilgrim

Peter wrote:

*waves at everyone*

Bodies are such inconvenient things at times :( .

I have once again completely broken my sleep cycle. Too many naps I guess, though I still don't know why I couldn't sleep until 9am. That's a bit extreme, dear body, could we go back to 4am please?

Whoa! Any idea, why?

Magpie wrote:

I wouldn't even need a week, just two days would be fine.

Yes!

My cold is almost gone, so today I had to catch up on the household. It wasn't that bad, thanks to my medicine-induced cleaning frenzies, but the weekly chores piled up. So most of my day I was cleaning.
This afternoon I finally left the house to drag the children to the playground 100 metres from our garden. (They wanted to play Lego, but I thought fresh air would be good for them and it was!)
When we arrived, I found the whole village assembled, or at least all the moms with children the same age as mine. ALL of them. (There is an optional gym class and afterwards they apparently use to spend an hour at the playground. Why my children don't go to the gym class? At least the older one takes after me: almost as clumsy as Bella Swan. Falls down on flat surfaces a lot. I love him for that. The rest of my family is way to ubersporty.) Entrance me in my cleaning clothes and my messy ponytail and my no-Make-up-and-no-sun-for-ages-Vampire-face. Well, I know how to leave a good first impression.

And I watched Gilmore Girls while being sick, can you tell from alle blahblah?

edit: Is ubersporty a word? I made that up. You know, what I mean, right?

Last edited by Diorna (2017-09-21 08:57:06)

#22 2017-09-21 09:19:00

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Diorna, we make up words as a sport here :D . Might be all the German speaking people using their compound-word-savy.

As for my sleep pattern, I do tend to take naps and sometimes they go a lot longer than planned. Also I lack discipline. So I ruin my sleep schedule all the time (and I can afford to, since I don't have to be at work at any particular time).

But I have no idea why sleep didn't work at all tonight. That was a bit weird.

#23 2017-09-21 09:45:32

ylvs
Mantis

Did some long overdue kitchen shelf cleaning with Daughter2.0. Now to tired to cook. Stupid me.

#24 2017-09-21 09:47:34

ylvs
Mantis

And Diorna. I think a playground is no place that requires makeup or dressup or anyup.

*nods*

#25 2017-09-21 09:57:48

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Lots of cleaning going on around here, it seems! I might do more of that, too, but only after I've watered all the plants, packed for Munich (I still don't want to) and maybe baked something (I have apples that I need to do something with). Oh, and text one friend that I will not have time to meet her this weekend. (I thought about calling, but that always ends up being very time-consuming with her.)

But I've already been to the recycling center. My mother picked me up from work today, and then offered to drive me there as well, which meant I could not decide I was too tired or anything after all.

- Tad

Board footer