Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-08-02 05:45:44

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Re: QM - The Shadowmarch Fair

*flops into mint*

Can I just say... "I hate  packing".... nothing works.... *wails*

I should have shipped costumes over earlier.... then I would just need to get my normal stuff....

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#52 2017-08-02 05:48:25

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Miiru wrote:

allo Mint

Hey Miiru!

Making good progress on the house cleaning to prepare for the move?

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#53 2017-08-02 05:49:24

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves at Libra*

Do the costumes take up so much space?

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#54 2017-08-02 06:00:23

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*waves* Yeah, packing. No matter what I do or where I go, my suitcase is always full. I tried to pack light for Helsinki, and it's still full (though not quite you-have-to-sit-n-it-to-close-it-full).

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#55 2017-08-02 06:06:48

Mantis

*waves at Sahi, Peter and Miiru*

Yes, it dramatic.... mostly the steampunk costume for the Saturday.... and with the weather being so unpredictable, I need to have clothes of all warmnesses....

Anyway... I'm procrastinating now.... I suck a bit....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#56 2017-08-02 06:10:50

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Yeah, I'm dreading packing the car on Friday morning. Four people, jumping stilts, a cooler and cart and all our personal bags...

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#57 2017-08-02 06:25:19

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Yep, that sounds interesting in a small car. I guess everyone will have to hold their bags...

And I am very much looking forward to pictures of all the costumes!

#58 2017-08-02 06:57:08

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

And reports!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#59 2017-08-02 07:10:35

Sahi
Mantis
Website

There will be reports and pictures!

Scrollbearer

#60 2017-08-02 10:24:07

Mantis

Wow... two hours of crying and screaming later.....

I had booked myself a cab to take me to Dover.... I have a big suitcase and a massive extra bag, all quite heavy and annoying.... and I have developed ridiculous anxiety when travelling on my own.... so I gave myself a present.... just to get my holiday started. Not cheap, but still reasonably priced. Load up here, get the boat directly... all good...

Then after having done the payment, hearing the payment going through and then rushing off to do some additional little things, I came home and saw several emails from this cab company.... with words like  "fraudulent" "blacklisted" and "cancelled"... utter panic... I don't normally do fraud, so I'm panicking now...

I call them and they won't tell me anything, except for that they've cancelled my booking and voided the payment and I should contact my bank for more info. Now I had just gotten money out of the bank, so I know there are no issues with my bank, so what the hell are they talking about?

I call the bank.... they tell me nothing is wrong on my account, nothing is blocked, it's all perfectly fine. They can see the payment to the cab company in pending state, so can't (for WHAT reason??) do anything now, but they promise me that if the payment is taken, they can help me get it back.

I'm crying from anger right now.... so call the cab company again.... so incredibly annoying that I cry when I get really angry, because I come over as a little girl. I'm asking again for the reason.... the new lady actually gives me something.... turns out that in 2014 my family all went to Portugal for my parents wedding anniversary.... our flight back (siss and me) landed at midnight and my dad decided to pay for a cab for us to be taken from the airport to the house. I created an account (stupid stupid stupid) and he gave me his credit card details to pay for it (stupid stupid stupid)...that payment seems to have been re-charged and therefore I (ME!) am blacklisted for this company. <edited to say> This is my assumption, I have not had any long distance other cabs that I haven't paid by cash... so this is my assumption.</edit>
So they've voided payment and can't do anything else. They won't book for me.

I call back my bank and tell them, please just take the pending status off, as this is not going to happen... they can't do it, but promise me to keep checking the account to make sure it comes back... In the mean time I'm down a lot of money, so can't afford another cab.... Call my mum and break down completely..... trains don't take me there in time, bus takes forever and getting to the bus is going to be a nightmare, Dover port doesn't have a parking so if I would drive it would mean parking at an independent parking garage, which is going to cost me more than the cab fare would have been.... Panic, utter panic....

My dad then decided to take matters in his own hands and pick me up.... I feel like a little child.... I really do.... adults really shouldn't panic like this.....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#61 2017-08-02 10:48:38

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Aw *hugs Libra* itll work out!

And crying when you're angry happens, it happens to me too all the time. It sucks, but there's nothing to do about it :/ At least not that I've figured...

Last edited by Ad1tu (2017-08-02 10:49:52)

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#62 2017-08-02 11:03:07

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

*hugs Libra* what a mess! *glares daggers at the cab company for creating such an aweful situation for Libra* Glad you dad stands in to pick you up, but still this is no way to start such a nice trip :-( *hugs Libra again*

my aunt calls these 'angry frustration tears' being 'built close to the water'. Literally it translates as 'weep easily' (at least according to the translator) but I prefer the water idea ...everyone likes to live by the sea, don't they?

#63 2017-08-02 11:21:27

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*hugs Libra*

I'm sorry this is all way more complicated than it should be :/

#64 2017-08-02 11:46:50

Mantis

Thank you guys..... I might even be able to relieve my dad from the entire trip... C has a possible solution...

I'm so angry with these people.... They could have simply let me know that the payment didn't go through in 2014.... they had my email address, my phone number and my address.... but nothing.... just blacklist you and then take your money without saying anything...
I'm terrified that I won't get the money back.... dad is already threatening with lawyers and the police...

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#65 2017-08-02 11:56:15

Sahi
Mantis
Website

And rightfully so, what a ****** company!

In better news, I have bought groceries and ordered the sweet bread at the bakery.

Scrollbearer

#66 2017-08-02 12:04:37

Mantis

Sahi wrote:

And rightfully so, what a ****** company!

In better news, I have bought groceries and ordered the sweet bread at the bakery.

Sweet bread!!! Yum!

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#67 2017-08-02 12:27:56

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*flybyhuggles for Libra*

Busy, busy, busy!

Sahi, I'm going to assume that your phone number is still the same?

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#68 2017-08-02 12:57:29

Sahi
Mantis
Website

It starts with 0614.

We will be at the airport to pick up your luggage, and I will be traveling with you on the train.

Scrollbearer

#69 2017-08-02 13:20:43

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Sahi wrote:

It starts with 0614.

We will be at the airport to pick up your luggage, and I will be traveling with you on the train.

I assume you meant train station when you said airport?

Let me check, we'll be at Amsterdam Centraal at 20:26.

Oh, and Andreas forgot to pack the blanket we talked about.

And yep, that is the number I have.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#70 2017-08-02 13:24:27

Sahi
Mantis
Website

You were coming by plain I thought? I thought you arrived at Schiphol at eight thirty?

Scrollbearer

#71 2017-08-02 13:28:20

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Coming by plain is the only way to get into the Netherlands :p

#72 2017-08-02 13:32:33

Mantis

C just chatted to me.... she thinks there was no outstanding payment at all.... they're just trying to cover up that either the price is too low, or there's no driver.... she knows some people that are cab drivers and they all say that the price I was offered has no sense whatsoever....

Still angry.... she's now calling people to see if she can get me a lift, so my dad doesn't have to drive the whole way....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#73 2017-08-02 13:36:02

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Plain/train confusion cleared up and I've arranged a second car so Ivo can come and pick you up from the train station, while I go and pick up cyan.

Scrollbearer

#74 2017-08-02 13:46:48

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

C just chatted to me.... she thinks there was no outstanding payment at all.... they're just trying to cover up that either the price is too low, or there's no driver.... she knows some people that are cab drivers and they all say that the price I was offered has no sense whatsoever....

Still angry.... she's now calling people to see if she can get me a lift, so my dad doesn't have to drive the whole way....

What a bunch of jerks!!! I can't believe that's a thing, to lie to people about their payments like that.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#75 2017-08-02 14:03:45

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Sahi wrote:

Plain/train confusion cleared up and I've arranged a second car so Ivo can come and pick you up from the train station, while I go and pick up cyan.

Woops.

But glad we cleared it up in time!

- Tad

Board footer