Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-07-31 21:29:19

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Re: QM - The Shadowmarch Fair

Peter wrote:

I hope you enjoyed the party for the couple hours you were there, Ad1tu?

Yes, it was still a good time. Chatted a bit, played some badmiton (poorly, and without rules or scoring), got a tour of their new house. And we stopped for tasty food on the way back. New York has some great food, but there are a few chains that are just not here for whatever reason. In some cases, it's statewide, other cases it's just local.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#27 2017-07-31 21:31:54

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Also. I got some distressing news at work. Coworker P, the same one who tricked me into eating the jalapeno!, is off for a few days, and I'm going to have to kludge together a freaking maintenance labor invoice that I've never done before. Oh, did I mention there's about 12 different tax rates across 3 different states that I'll have to account for? Yeah. Super fun. I'm so excited for tomorrow.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#28 2017-07-31 22:19:45

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

After werk, I finished mowing my lawn. It now looks quite good!

(But with all the rain, it will look like a jungle again in three weeks.)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#29 2017-07-31 22:42:51

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Busy, busy, busy. It is really too early in the morning to be this productive!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#30 2017-07-31 23:44:12

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*hugs magpie* *hugs Ad1tu*

Yeah, instead of doing something useful yesterday I first went walking with my mom. (I had somehow managed to forget it was Monday, so she came to pick me up.) And after I came back Ivo wanted to go and walk to the ice cream parlor. And how can I say no to ice cream? So I got nothing done, other than taking my kimono to be cleaned and one load of laundry.

So tonight will be hectic. Oh well, if I can't finish it all, I'll take tomorrow afternoon off.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#31 2017-08-01 01:32:38

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves good morning from the oven*

9:30 and we've broken 30 degrees...

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#32 2017-08-01 03:34:55

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Ugh, spent all morning trying to get an Ant build to work. First I had to install Ant. Then I had to downgrade Java (it's an old project), then I had to reinstall Ant (older version to work with older version of Java). And now it's still complaining that something is not quite right... I haven't even started on changing the code yet!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#33 2017-08-01 03:57:34

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Hm, manually removing and putting back a specific file suddenly fixed the problem. Weird! Oh well, at least I can actually get started now (or so I hope).

Scrollbearer

#34 2017-08-01 04:26:08

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

*waves good morning from the oven*

9:30 and we've broken 30 degrees...

And I've forgotten my shorts at home. *cries and melts*

But I think I'll take the spare trousers I have in my locker (which fit badly and have a hole, so I barely wear them) and just cut them off. Because I don't know how I will survive the afternoon otherwise.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#35 2017-08-01 05:19:04

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Sounds like a good plan, magpie!

It's predicted to 'only' be around 20 degrees C this weekend, so you can cool down a bit again, then.

Scrollbearer

#36 2017-08-01 06:46:16

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Ugh, tired.

Scrollbearer

#37 2017-08-01 09:14:40

ylvs
Mantis

*zooms by to say*

Lovely new Mint!

#38 2017-08-01 11:04:46

Sahi
Mantis
Website

There, the house is as clean as it's going to be. So now it's time to see how far I can get with the decorations of my costume.

Scrollbearer

#39 2017-08-01 11:20:19

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Sahi wrote:

Sounds like a good plan, magpie!

It's predicted to 'only' be around 20 degrees C this weekend, so you can cool down a bit again, then.

That sounds lovely! (Will have to bring something to wear under my "water" shirt, though, since that is sleeveless.)

I went swimming again, with LG this time, so I did not have to go by bike, and am still feeling very thoroughly cooled-off.

- Tad

#40 2017-08-01 12:44:50

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Glad you found time for the lake again, Magpie :)

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#41 2017-08-01 13:03:32

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Sounds like your weather is more like American south than where you actually live. Hope your humidity isn't as bad!

I'm having a really good day. I challenged myself in my group cycle plan today, and felt like it really paid off. Beginner class went well, too.

#42 2017-08-01 13:14:30

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves at Marian*

No, humidity in Austria is typically fairly low, but 35°C is still really unpleasant in the city.

#43 2017-08-01 14:21:58

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Kenan wrote:

*waves*

Nice mint, I like it!

Hope everyone is doing well.... This is my last day at home before leaving for England and coming back on Monday. Going to the lake district, this time bringing the SO. Wish us some rays of sun between the showers ;)

Kenan!! Why are you going to the UK when I'm leaving for the Netherlands??!!

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#44 2017-08-01 14:23:57

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Magpie wrote:

Including these choices:
- instead of buying fabric for the shinies costume, deciding to use some cheap white fabric I already had and just buying dye
- not wearing gloves to dye the fabric, because "I'll be careful, I won't get it on my hands".

Hah. *is blue*

Smurf!!!!

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#45 2017-08-01 16:07:22

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Peter wrote:

*waves at Marian*

No, humidity in Austria is typically fairly low, but 35°C is still really unpleasant in the city.

Yes it is! We're relatively cool right now, but 30+ is usually the norm here for July and August.

#46 2017-08-01 16:20:48

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I always underestimate how long everything will take. Still so much to do... packing will end up being a last-minute thing again after all, despite my plans...

- Tad

#47 2017-08-01 18:15:44

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

*flump*

*waves tired tail*

allo Mint

Ted Kennedy in a speedo is just another sign of the coming apocalypse.
-wiked
"He who smelteth it delteth it O LORD."
-bandit

#48 2017-08-01 23:36:36

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Maen Mint!

For once I'm guessing that I won't be preparing until the last possible minute. Tonight I have to fetch my kimono from the cleaner's and get groceries. Then tomorrow before picking people up from the airport, there will only be some minor last minute cleaning to do.

Scrollbearer

#49 2017-08-01 23:49:34

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I brought my dress and butterflies to work today, so I could staple some butterflies to the dress on the way.

- Tad

#50 2017-08-02 00:02:59

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

*waves*

Nice mint, I like it!

Hope everyone is doing well.... This is my last day at home before leaving for England and coming back on Monday. Going to the lake district, this time bringing the SO. Wish us some rays of sun between the showers ;)

I hope you are having a great time in England, Kenan!

I'll tell you, the time I spent in the British Isles in 2015 (mostly in Ireland, though) was amazing. I hope you both just have the best time ever.

I noticed every major town in the British Isles has its own coffee or tea. Enjoy all your cuppas! And enjoy whatever sun peeks out through the clouds! :)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

Board footer