Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-30 23:59:56

Sahi
Mantis
Website

QM - The Shadowmarch Fair

Welcome one and all! To our very own lovely fair! People from all over the world have come here to sell their wares and crafts, to mingle and enjoy themselves. Have a good time!

You can watch tumblers, hawkers, musicians, and puppeteers. You can buy food and trinkets, clothes and books. If you can't find it here, it plain doesn't exist!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#2 2017-07-31 01:43:07

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM - The Shadowmarch Fair

*waves good morning*

Do I need a costume for this Mint? :D

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#3 2017-07-31 01:43:59

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I've been at work since 8am, waiting for the window company to fix a window that wasn't closing properly, even though they should all have been serviced a few weeks ago.

All done now.

As usual when at work this early, I bought breakfast and ate at work... so much unhealthy, delicious breakfast food (one bacon-cheese-roll thing (all baked in)), 2 croissants and now I am munching on blueberries.

Last edited by Peter (2017-07-31 01:45:31)

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#4 2017-07-31 01:51:22

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

*waves*

Nice mint, I like it!

Hope everyone is doing well.... This is my last day at home before leaving for England and coming back on Monday. Going to the lake district, this time bringing the SO. Wish us some rays of sun between the showers ;)

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#5 2017-07-31 02:04:53

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Have fun Kenan!

Blueberries sound healthy, Peter! Are you sure it's an unhealthy breakfast? ;) Enjoy!

Oh, and you can wear any costume you like (including just jeans and a t-shirt).

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#6 2017-07-31 02:06:07

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I am sure the blueberries make up for the unholy amounts of fat in the other things I ate :D

#7 2017-07-31 02:08:03

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I'm sure they do, Peter :) Love blueberries too...

#8 2017-07-31 02:17:25

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Have a nice trip, Kenan!

Sounds like you'll be hunting for pictures?

#9 2017-07-31 02:19:26

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

This week is going to be hot. Literally. 28°C and it's only 10am... the predicted peak temperature this week is 38°C. Yikes.

#10 2017-07-31 02:56:25

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*sends some of her cooler air over* Most of the country doesn't quite reach 20 degrees C.

And I would _really_ love a nice sunny weekend!

Scrollbearer

#11 2017-07-31 02:58:01

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Just discovered that any and all work I would do for the customer is useless, as I have no clue which branch of our code I would have to build it on. They have a very old branch in production. The newest branch (that I would have to use to talk to their test systems) is not scheduled to go live for another half a year or so...

Scrollbearer

#12 2017-07-31 03:14:25

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

That sounds pretty frustrating :/

And I'm all for mixing the air a little, we'd both have ~30°C then.

#13 2017-07-31 05:34:44

Sahi
Mantis
Website

So I've announced to the manager that all work is now ceased. I'll probably help Operations with some other issues that have come in.

But right now I don't really care, I'm just counting down the days. :)

Oh, and the highlight of today was going out for lunch with colleagues. Pancake with apple. Omnomnom!

Scrollbearer

#14 2017-07-31 06:06:16

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*sleepy waves*

Stayed up too late reading last night (again) after not really catching up on sleep this weekend (again) so I'm dragging a bit this morning...

Saturday we went down to my best friend's house for her & her husband's "30th birthday / pool / housewarming party". It's about a three hour drive. Originally I was planning on going and spending the night, but then husband was able to go too, but since he had to work early on Sunday, we only stayed for a few hours and then drove home. (Of course, part of the other reason I didn't want to stay is that they invited a couple people we went to high school with that I didn't want to see, and maybe it's for petty reasons by this point and I'm just holding a grudge, but I didn't want to put myself in that situation and I didn't want to put them in a difficult position by telling them all this...)

And yesterday I made bread! 1 loaf and 1 batch of 8 rolls. They were an attempt at hamburger / sandwich rolls, but I baked them a couple minutes too long. On the plus side, we now have delicious rolls for buttered hard rolls in the morning!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#15 2017-07-31 09:17:04

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I'll regret this, because I still have so much to do, but I'm going to the lake. Because I'm melting.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#16 2017-07-31 09:56:32

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I hope you enjoyed the party for the couple hours you were there, Ad1tu?

Sahi, were those apple slices surrounded by pancake dough and then fried?

#17 2017-07-31 11:47:44

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

I'll regret this, because I still have so much to do, but I'm going to the lake. Because I'm melting.

OK, no, I don't regret it (yet), because I feel so much better now.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#18 2017-07-31 11:49:13

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Yay :)
Had a good long swim and cooled down a bit afterward?

#19 2017-07-31 12:27:45

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Usually it's a pancake with thin slices on top that are baked along, but this one had loose pieces of fried apple on top.

Scrollbearer

#20 2017-07-31 12:45:53

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

This is what I meant:
https://www.ichkoche.at/gebackene-apfel … zept-12050

I think the dough is somewhat similar to pancakes, but not the same.

#21 2017-07-31 13:19:42

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Ah, no, that's not it at all. This is what is common, but as I said in this case the apple was in small thick chunks that were just lying on top of a regular pancake.

Scrollbearer

#22 2017-07-31 13:20:27

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Yep, that looks quite different. Nothing I've seen here.

#23 2017-07-31 13:58:27

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Peter wrote:

Have a nice trip, Kenan!

Sounds like you'll be hunting for pictures?

Oh yeah, hunting for pictures whenever we travel, but even more so when visiting places of nature rather than cities. But I'm just looking forward to walking the landscape. Hope to scale some of those fells (none above 1000m, don't laugh at me you mountain people)

#24 2017-07-31 15:35:57

Magpie
Mantis
Website

And now I regret all the choices I have ever made. All of them. Except possibly signing up for Smarch. Except that did lead to crazy costume ideas and always leaving all the work until the last couple of days...

- Tad

#25 2017-07-31 16:13:59

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Including these choices:
- instead of buying fabric for the shinies costume, deciding to use some cheap white fabric I already had and just buying dye
- not wearing gloves to dye the fabric, because "I'll be careful, I won't get it on my hands".

Hah. *is blue*

- Tad

Board footer