Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-08-17 08:04:27

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Re: Ruyan's myriad folk *TWC spoilers*

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

kragadox wrote:

Question for all: Do you think the Dwarrows can "sing the Bukken down"?

Maybe.  But it seemed like the Norns sung them up at Naglimund.  Not sure if they were sung up on the Frostmarch when Duke Isgrimnur's men were attacked while camping in DBC.  Somehow they were summoned during Skodi's ceremony in SOF.  And it seems like their default is to attack anything that moves.  The only time that it seemed otherwise was at Naglimund where they attacked the human defenders but not the Norn attackers.  I think when the giant fell into their nest in TWC, they were just maddened and attacked indiscriminately.

You could be right. Shouldn't a Singer know, though, how to sing them into passivity? I don't understand how that was not an option. As you correctly point out, the Norns could control the Bukken in MS&T.

Well, wait, Saomeji is the Singer, right? And he's half mortal. So, conceivably, like Nezeru panicked and froze on the Island and didn't throw her knife at the child, Saomeji might also have panicked. Also, he's pretty young, maybe that's just something he hasn't learned yet.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#27 2017-08-17 10:03:20

kragadox
Pilgrim

I always thought of Morgenes as a mortal as well.  I don't remember anything that would suggest otherwise. 

As for Faiera, I have no idea.  The name does resemble the word fairy or fair.  So, it could be a hint that she is Tinukeda'ya.  In TWC Vorzheva suggested that there was a romantic relationship between Josua and Faiera.  It seems out of character for Josua and seemed more to me like the ravings of a bitter person who has been downtrodden by life.  That said, it's kind of weird that they disappeared at the same time.

The fact that Geloe suggested Faiera as a Scrollbearer makes me think that Faiera was already somewhat older at the time of TGAT.  If Faiera was learned enough to make the list, she couldn't have been super young I wouldn't think.  So maybe she was around Josua's age at that time, 40ish?

#28 2017-08-17 15:58:18

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

kragadox wrote:

I always thought of Morgenes as a mortal as well.  I don't remember anything that would suggest otherwise.

I can see where someone might think he's immortal/semi-immortal: there are one or two obscure passages which mention that Dr. Morgenes is very old. But there are too many passages which talk about his mortality, about him being young when he met Aditu, etc, that just don't jive with that theory. And nothing that specifically stands out and says "Tinukeda'ya", other than his shortness. I mean, he never mentions calming his friends down with song, or begins scraping at a stone wall with a spoon.

As for Faiera, I have no idea.  The name does resemble the word fairy or fair.  So, it could be a hint that she is Tinukeda'ya.

But it is the Keida'ya, the Sithi and Norns, who are considered fairies, not the Tinukeda'ya. And none of the Tinukeda'ya have names that are remotely similar to Faiera's name.

In TWC Vorzheva suggested that there was a romantic relationship between Josua and Faiera.  It seems out of character for Josua and seemed more to me like the ravings of a bitter person who has been downtrodden by life.

She does seem bitter! (But I suppose I would be, too, if I lost both of my children).

That said, it's kind of weird that they disappeared at the same time.

It does indeed.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#29 2017-08-17 15:59:08

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

Well, wait, Saomeji is the Singer, right? And he's half mortal. So, conceivably, like Nezeru panicked and froze on the Island and didn't throw her knife at the child, Saomeji might also have panicked. Also, he's pretty young, maybe that's just something he hasn't learned yet.

Maybe so!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#30 2017-08-18 08:09:31

Outsider
Pilgrim
Website

Hopefully in EoG we get a Saomeji POV and fill in some backstory. Who are his parents? Which of them is mortal and what is their history? How/Why did he become a Singer?

"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire
"Bring back meat, we are not Zida'ya, to live on flowers and bee's milk." -- Kemme

Follow me on Twitter

#31 2017-08-18 15:25:11

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Outsider wrote:

Hopefully in EoG we get a Saomeji POV and fill in some backstory. Who are his parents? Which of them is mortal and what is their history? How/Why did he become a Singer?

Didn't the book say something like... male Norns and female humans were viable, but the other way didn't work? If so, there's your answer about Saomeji's ancestry. Although... I'd like to get more POVs, myself.

#32 2017-08-18 16:26:22

ajl3
Pilgrim

Outsider wrote:

Didn't the book say something like... male Norns and female humans were viable, but the other way didn't work? If so, there's your answer about Saomeji's ancestry. Although... I'd like to get more POVs, myself.

It was halfbreeds we explicitly hear about; with mortals, we only have allusions to women being used to breed (e.g., Akhenabi taunting Viyeki about all mortal women being returned to pens). Which makes me wonder if there's a reveal coming up about someone's parentage.

Last edited by ajl3 (2017-08-18 16:29:28)

Board footer