Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-08-21 01:01:55

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Game of Thrones Season 7 (SPOILERS)

Seitherin wrote:

Oh, oh.

You said a mouthful!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#52 2017-08-21 12:54:21

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

As soon as the Hound looked at that first stone I thought: don't do it!

Epic episode! Didn't see an ice dragon coming about _that_ way. Sad.

What now, time for the queens to meet? What do you think will happen? Cersei will say "I'll join you, if you give me a dragon"?

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#53 2017-08-21 18:20:41

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

Ahahaha! Same here!

As soon as he sunk into the water, I said to myself, "now if these WWs are smart, they'll reanimate that dragon..." Sadly, they are quite crafty WWs.

What now, time for the queens to meet? What do you think will happen? Cersei will say "I'll join you, if you give me a dragon"?

No idea. But if she agrees, the price will be very high.

Maybe the ice dragon will attack King's Landing, and then she'll realize they all have to work together.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#54 2017-08-22 01:16:23

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Kenan wrote:

Yes! Although I applauded when he hit that undead right in the face. :D I really like the hound. And Tormund. Their conversation was great. I feared for Tormund's life when he was surrounded by enemies. I know, we are quite used to lose characters, but I want Tormund and Brienne and their giant monster babies to happen. :)

I agree. This sudden death really hit me. I was hoping that he survives and saves Jon when he was left behind, but now that the White Walkers have him, they are in serious trouble.

Maybe they are a bit faster now that they have a dragon. It bothers me that every character travels around Westeros in no time, while that Night King seems to only make one step in every season.

Another thing: They really seem to fall for Littlefinger's bullshit. It hurts to see Arya and Sansa distrust and argue with each other that way. And well, I really start to dislike Sansa.

#55 2017-08-22 01:46:37

Hertje
Pilgrim
Website

Just finished EP 07.. Amazing season.. Wonderinging how the war will end and who is sitting on the iron throne. Wondering how many episodes this season has.

#56 2017-08-22 02:06:08

ylvs
Mantis

There will be one more.

#57 2017-08-22 02:10:27

ylvs
Mantis

Ah well.
While it had stunning images and moments of glory and tenderness on a whole I must say the further the show is on its own the less credible it becomes. First the utterly stupid plan to go and catch a wight and then Dany flies in to safe the day and lose Viserion. Why didn't she in the first place to get that wight if it was that easy? This season does seriously underwhelm me ...

#58 2017-08-22 02:22:05

Merenwen
Pilgrim

I think Viserion was cut off because we only have two known Targaryens (I just count Jon as one) that could ride them. I still believe we get another dragon rider, and that would be Jon. It is possible that I am entirely wrong of course.

But yeah, one thing that bothered me about the recent episodes were the travel times and distances too. Some characters seem to be able to warp through Westeros.

Also: Why didn't the White Walkers and Wights attack when they surrounded Jon on the frozen lake? Why were they standing there the entire time without doing anything? So that Dany could safe the day of course, but still, this seemed kinda illogical.

Last edited by Merenwen (2017-08-22 02:35:48)

#59 2017-08-22 04:03:03

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Merenwen wrote:

Also: Why didn't the White Walkers and Wights attack when they surrounded Jon on the frozen lake? Why were they standing there the entire time without doing anything?

Because the ice was very, very thin, and it barely supported the feet of a few men; an entire army walking over it would definitely break the ice, and the undead have difficulty swimming, as we saw at Hardholm. So they waited overnight, and the ice thickened up in the cold. When the Hound threw the rock, it was clear the ice had thickened up. So then the army of undead gradually moved in, starting a few at a time, and then gradually moving in en masse when it was clear the ice would support the weight of thousands.

#60 2017-08-22 04:04:46

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

I must say the further the show is on its own the less credible it becomes.

I do agree, but as it's likely the only ending we'll ever get, I'm just going with it. Better than no ending at all.

#61 2017-08-22 04:06:25

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Merenwen wrote:

Also: Why didn't the White Walkers and Wights attack when they surrounded Jon on the frozen lake? Why were they standing there the entire time without doing anything?

Because the ice was very, very thin, and it barely supported the feet of a few men; an entire army walking over it would definitely break the ice, and the undead have difficulty swimming, as we saw at Hardholm. So they waited overnight, and the ice thickened up. When the Hound threw the rock, it was clear the ice had thickened up. So then the army of undead gradually moved in.

Ah, that makes sense. Looks like I haven't paid enough attention. :)

#62 2017-08-22 09:56:16

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Uhm, the dead went through the ice like a hot knife through butter until there was a moat surrounding the isle. They had to wait for it to freeze again, and the hound's stone revealed it was indeed frozen and solid again.

#63 2017-08-22 10:55:33

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

Uhm, the dead went through the ice like a hot knife through butter until there was a moat surrounding the isle. They had to wait for it to freeze again, and the hound's stone revealed it was indeed frozen and solid again.

That's what I was trying to say.

#64 2017-08-27 20:28:07

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Winter has come.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#65 2017-08-27 23:37:55

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Well, that was a satisfying episode. I loved every moment of it. Even the teleporting.

Seitherin wrote:

Winter has come.

It has. But the Wolves of Winter are ready for it. I hope.

#66 2017-08-28 09:35:07

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

*does the Gollum* I'm not listening, I'm not listening!*
Hope to watch the final episode toniiiiight...!!!

#67 2017-08-28 12:46:40

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

*does the Gollum* I'm not listening, I'm not listening!*
Hope to watch the final episode toniiiiight...!!!

Steer clear of this thread, me matey. Thar be spoilers off the starboard bow! Arrrr!

#68 2017-08-28 13:04:47

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Oh goodness, that was some intense stuff!

Sneaky Cersei! Of course I didn't trust her a bit when she said she'd send troops north, but to have Euron go and get the Golden Company, very ssssneakssssy! Think Theon will stop him? How? And is Yara still alive at all?
Has Jaime finally said goodbye to Cersei for effin good? Can't believe how much he let her get away with. And may the war for Cersei's c*nt be over.
Things are looking up for Brienne. From being in love with a gay man and laughed at to three possible suitors...? Although, if Tormund survived THAT I'm going to be a tiny bit pissed.
Didn't expect Littlefinger to be brought down quite so fast. But Sansa and Arya playing his own game never allowed him to see it coming.
I thought the dead were going to come around the wall as the sea froze, I didn't really expect the wall to be torn down. Ok, just a tiny part of it, but still. So what do you think is in that dead dragon's breath?
And L+R=J(AT) is confirmed, finally. It probably is one of those theories that everyone can draw for themselves, so perhaps a bit too expected (unlike who is Azor Ahai), but still nice to finally go there.
Cleganebowl is on, but will have to wait a little more...

And I read somewhere we may have to wait until 2019 for the next part of the story? Wth? And don't even mention when the next book might be out.... sheesh.

#69 2017-08-28 15:54:21

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Oh, I've suspected that J was a T not an S since pretty much the start. What I didn't suspect was that he was legit. Don't know why I never made that leap.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#70 2017-08-29 01:28:11

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Finally seen it yesterday. What a great episode! I really did not expect some things.

I think I will have to change my mind about Sansa. I first thought that she really was so stupid to fall for Littlefinger's bullshit again, so Littlefinger's quick execution was a surprise. Can they ever be fooled again with Bran at their side? And I was happy to see Arya and Sansa re-united again.

And Cersei! Can't she just let it be and stop intriguing? I think Jaime is right, whoever wins the war in the north will turn against her next if she doesn't keep her word. My heart stopped for a second when the Mountain was about to draw his weapon against Jaime. I hope he left her for good.

About Euron, I was puzzled at first when he just said goodbye after seeing the wight. My first thought was: Well that is a cheap way to get rid of a character, but I didn't know about the Golden Company of course.

Last edited by Merenwen (2017-08-29 01:45:41)

#71 2017-08-30 02:07:21

ylvs
Mantis

Right, so the finale did reconcile me with the show after the utter stupidity that was the penultimate installment.
I really liked the Reunion of Tyrion and Podrick. The wight played out pretty well after all. I was surprised by  Cercei's scheme (and she is SO NOT pregnant!) but completely saw Sansa and Arya playing Littlefinger coming. For a few eps already I did not believe their quarrels were genuine. The ice dragon rocked, some clunky dialogue did not. And I am annoyed that after suffering through  six seasons of extended rape and violation scenes when it finally gets to consensual sex between characters I invested in it is over in the wink of an eye. Seriously?

Board footer