Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-08-07 20:22:39

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Game of Thrones Season 7 (SPOILERS)

Auros wrote:

Tonight's episode was pretty great.

* SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS *

It looks like Qyburn's weapon could be pretty effective if it hit the head, or the chest over a critical organ.  But other than that, maybe it stops the target from flying for a bit, but isn't fatal...  Unless he's applied some kind of poison to the ammo, which I wouldn't put past him. :-/

That's a good point. If anyone has access to poison, it's Qyburn. Sure hope that's not the case, though. I want Danerys on the Iron Throne, and Jon as King in the North.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#27 2017-08-08 01:18:29

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

* SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS *

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Auros wrote:

It looks like Qyburn's weapon could be pretty effective if it hit the head, or the chest over a critical organ.  But other than that, maybe it stops the target from flying for a bit, but isn't fatal...  Unless he's applied some kind of poison to the ammo, which I wouldn't put past him. :-/

That's a good point. If anyone has access to poison, it's Qyburn. Sure hope that's not the case, though. I want Danerys on the Iron Throne, and Jon as King in the North.

I would not be at all surprised if the last of Cersei's victories was killing one of the three dragons.  At which point Danaerys would raze the Red Keep, fulfilling her vision of the ruined throne room, from the House of the Undying.

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#28 2017-08-08 13:04:52

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

No need for spoiler alerts in posts, there's one in the subject already.

Anyway, I'm all caught up now!

Arya is ready for killing the Night King! Naw, perhaps not, but at least the white walkers. Valyrian steel got into an appropriate hand if you ask me.

Nice to see a dragon in action again, but oh dear, now I can't like Bronn any more! Wished him into a pile of ash there. I got a word for Daenery's smiths... dragon armour. Was that Dickon saving Jaime at the end?

Firs, looks like you were right about the map in the red keep, looked finished now.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#29 2017-08-08 13:52:53

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

Arya is ready for killing the Night King! Naw, perhaps not, but at least the white walkers. Valyrian steel got into an appropriate hand if you ask me.

Definitely! But now they need to get to mining, and then get the piles of mined dragonglass manufactured into dragonglass swords, post-haste! Or will they just load the glass onto dragons and dump it over invading white walker armies? Would that even work?

Nice to see a dragon in action again, but oh dear, now I can't like Bronn any more! Wished him into a pile of ash there.

Bronn and Jaime are just fighting for the wrong side. Too bad no one could convince them to switch sides.

Was that Dickon saving Jaime at the end?

It looked like Dickon to me, but one site I read said it was Bronn. So I have no idea. Let's see who surfaces next week, so we know to whom Jaime owes a white arrow. Oops, wrong universe.

Also: was that Lord Tarly who was burned by the dragonflames? Or was that me just wishing it was?

Firs, looks like you were right about the map in the red keep, looked finished now.

Yeah, the map is complete, now. I thought, as you said, that it could have been ice. But if so, the ice has suddenly melted.

Sam has become my favorite character.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#30 2017-08-08 14:11:05

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Kenan wrote:

I thought the SPOILERS header was to keep the text out of Active Topics.  (Though did we change the AT functionality so it no longer includes snippets?)

I definitely look forward to her killing a Walker or three.

But I suspect the Night King belongs to John and Longclaw.  Or he may just get roasted in dragonfire.

#31 2017-08-08 14:19:57

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Auros wrote:

Kenan wrote:

I thought the SPOILERS header was to keep the text out of Active Topics.  (Though did we change the AT functionality so it no longer includes snippets?)

I have no idea about this

I definitely look forward to her killing a Walker or three.

But I suspect the Night King belongs to John and Longclaw.  Or he may just get roasted in dragonfire.

I would agree... but perhaps it would make too much sense for it to be Jon, and thereby it would be more fun if it was someone else?
Or maybe it's stuck by Longclaw, toasted by dragonfire, and a shard of dragonglass from Tyrion in some appropriate part of the body, all at the same time.

#32 2017-08-08 14:22:50

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

That sounds like it would end badly for those using melee weapons.

Maybe dragonfire blast just disables / badly burns him, and melee delivers the coup de grace. :-)

#33 2017-08-08 15:36:35

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Auros wrote:

Kenan wrote:

Yes; there is no more post content in Active Topics. That went away years ago. Nine years ago, I believe.

#34 2017-08-08 15:38:11

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

Or maybe it's stuck by Longclaw, toasted by dragonfire, and a shard of dragonglass from Tyrion in some appropriate part of the body, all at the same time.

That sounds quiiiite satisfying.

#35 2017-08-08 16:45:07

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

You know, the Starks need to start utilizing Bran. He sees everything, now, and he should be a powerful weapon. Instead, he's moping under a tree.

He should be able to tell where Cercei's troops will be, so they can send the dragons that way.

Bran says he's the Three-Eyed Raven. Well, then, get to Three-Eyed-Ravening, already!

#36 2017-08-08 19:33:55

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

IK,R?

Sadly he is not very good at three-eyed-raven-ing yet.

#37 2017-08-09 01:33:48

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

*nodnods*

But then, what good did the old three-eyed raven ever do, that we know of? Maybe he's just supposed to sit there and know everything and mope.
Perhaps not, but his eyes (all three) should be fixed north on the Night King and the army of the dead rather than south on Cersei.

Oh yeah I forgot to say about the last episode that I was surprised how much Jon could contain himself upon seeing Theon.

#38 2017-08-09 21:33:42

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Oh, I definitely agree that he should be looking at the Night King. But in just a couple of days, with Bran's powers and Dany's dragons, they could dispatch Cercei, and then focus on the real enemy to the north.

Great point about Jon and Theon. I thought he would have restrained himself much less.

#39 2017-08-11 17:49:08

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I think this is a mostly-persuasive analysis.

I really did wonder why she didn't do a lateral strafe across that line, at the beginning of the fight.  Would've been more effective than just blasting a hole.  And seizing the supplies would've been smart.  (I think he's mistaken about gold -- the dialogue says the gold has already been shipped ahead to King's Landing.)

Last edited by Auros (2017-08-11 17:49:23)

#40 2017-08-11 20:36:52

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Auros wrote:

I think this is a mostly-persuasive analysis.

I really did wonder why she didn't do a lateral strafe across that line, at the beginning of the fight.  Would've been more effective than just blasting a hole.  And seizing the supplies would've been smart.  (I think he's mistaken about gold -- the dialogue says the gold has already been shipped ahead to King's Landing.)

Yes, a lateral strafe would have been much better: more toasted Kingsguards. And of course they should have kept the crops instead of burning them; I suspect they'll regret that mistake later.

#41 2017-08-14 22:09:52

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Oh, my dear Starks, please don't fall for Littlefinger's BS. Please, please, please be smarter than this.

I love Sam. And I love Gilly. They are teh Awesome. But WTF? Sam totally missed Gilly's discovery in the book! It's as bad as the ship scene in MS&T, where the Scrollbearers mention over and over again how they wish there was someone who knew something about the Swords. "What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of those damn Niskies singing in the background!"

#42 2017-08-15 04:06:41

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Oh, my dear Starks, please don't fall for Littlefinger's BS. Please, please, please be smarter than this.

I don't know what that guy is up to again. I couldn't see the message properly, but I could see "traitor" and "steal the throne" and it was signed by Sansa. Is this about Ned Stark? And what could Littlefinger want with it?

I love Sam. And I love Gilly. They are teh Awesome. But WTF? Sam totally missed Gilly's discovery in the book! It's as bad as the ship scene in MS&T, where the Scrollbearers mention over and over again how they wish there was someone who knew something about the Swords. "What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of those damn Niskies singing in the background!"

I know. I was furious when Sam interrupted her. So Rhaegar Targaryen's former marriage was annulled and he married anew. I guess they basically confirmed that Jon is the reightful heir to the throne then? I loved his scene with Drogon by the way. And I am impressed by Gilly's reading skills. She learns fast!

And Gendry finally finished his row! I laughed because even Davos made a joke about this. I think the producers have just forgotton him. :D

Cersei is pregnant again. Didn't the prophecy say she will only have three children?

I am looking forward to the expedition behind the wall again, with Jon and Tormund and the Hound, although I am still waiting for the White Walkers to finally come.

#43 2017-08-15 07:07:39

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Merenwen wrote:

I don't know what that guy is up to again. I couldn't see the message properly, but I could see "traitor" and "steal the throne" and it was signed by Sansa. Is this about Ned Stark? And what could Littlefinger want with it?

Littlefinger is hoping to drive a wedge between Arya and Sansa. As you correctly surmised, this letter was about Ned Stark. Back in Season One, Sansa wrotethis letter:

Season One Sansa wrote:

Robb, I write to you with a heavy heart. Our good king Robert is dead, killed from wounds he took in a boar hunt. Father has been charged with treason. He conspired with Robert’s brothers against my beloved Joffrey and tried to steal his throne. The Lannisters are treating me very well and provide me with every comfort. I beg you: come to King’s Landing, swear fealty to King Joffrey and prevent any strife between the great houses of Lannister and Stark.

Of course, everyone saw through this letter back in Season One. Arya should be able to see through Littlefinger's ploy, but we shall see.

I know. I was furious when Sam interrupted her. So Rhaegar Targaryen's former marriage was annulled and he married anew. I guess they basically confirmed that Jon is the reightful heir to the throne then?

That was my impression... Although, there is a fan theory that Meera Reed is Jon Snow's twin sister.

I loved his scene with Drogon by the way.

Yes, that was nice!

And Gendry finally finished his row! I laughed because even Davos made a joke about this. I think the producers have just forgotton him. :D

Haha! Yes!

Cersei is pregnant again. Didn't the prophecy say she will only have three children?

Yep:

Cersei: Will the king and I have children?
Maggy: Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you. Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.

So she may be lying to Jaime about having a baby.

I am looking forward to the expedition behind the wall again, with Jon and Tormund and the Hound, although I am still waiting for the White Walkers to finally come.

I think it will be epic!

#44 2017-08-15 10:23:36

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Yep:

Maggy: Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you. Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.

Or Tyrion'll throttle her pregnant throat.

#45 2017-08-15 23:04:01

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

Yep:

Or Tyrion'll throttle her pregnant throat.

I've always believed it will be Jaime, at the end.

#46 2017-08-16 02:06:06

ylvs
Mantis

The speed of travel in Westeros becomes truly ridiculous this season. I bet Sam will arrive at the wall in the opnening scene of the next episode.

#47 2017-08-16 02:32:26

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I think what you mean is "the amount of time that they simply skip over has become ridiculous".  There's never any indication of how long they've jumped over between scenes.

#48 2017-08-16 11:43:45

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Yeah I agree with Auros here, the passage of time is not something they have focused on making clear to the audience this season.

#49 2017-08-16 22:08:40

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

The speed of travel in Westeros becomes truly ridiculous this season. I bet Sam will arrive at the wall in the opnening scene of the next episode.

I would not take that bet!

#50 2017-08-20 20:19:06

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Oh, oh.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

Board footer