Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-17 03:04:44

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Game of Thrones Season 7 (SPOILERS)

I just watched the first episode. Not much in the way of surprises. Arya deals justice to the Freys, and comes upon a merry band of soldiers. Sansa deals wisdom to Jon and he's not quite listening. This was my favourite part of the first episode, when she told him he must be better than Ned and not make the same mistakes. Otherwise he does seem pretty much exactly the same as Ned. So I like this little story line. Disgusting sequence with Sam, sheesh! What was the point of that... Anyway, important discovery there in the end, and a surprise return from a certain character in the dark. I liked that too. Euron courting Cersei, so he will of course meet his niece and nephew in battle on the sea somewhere. What did I see in that giant map on the floor though, is the sea freezing on the north west and creating new passages for the army of the dead? The Dog and Berric Dondarrion, I guess it was the same cottage the Dog and Arya stayed in... nice to see him with a conscience, but too little too late if you ask me. And the army of the dead is walking past the wall by an arrow-head-shaped mountain, is that on the west side then? The dragon comes home to roost... on top of a cache of dragonglass. How appropriate.
Did I forget or miss anything important?

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#2 2017-07-17 23:46:57

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Game of Thrones Season 7 (SPOILERS)

Kenan wrote:

I just watched the first episode. Not much in the way of surprises. Arya deals justice to the Freys, and comes upon a merry band of soldiers.

I really liked that short scene, with the singing and the stories, fleshing out the soldiers. We haven't seen nearly enough of that in a while.

Sansa deals wisdom to Jon and he's not quite listening. This was my favourite part of the first episode, when she told him he must be better than Ned and not make the same mistakes. Otherwise he does seem pretty much exactly the same as Ned. So I like this little story line.

I like this storyline, too, and I love seeing the Starks finally reunited and holding their own (well, two of them, anyway). That scene is something I've waited for, for fifteen years. And even though it will likely never happen on paper, I'm relieved to see it anyway.

Did you notice: the interplay between Jon and his sister Sansa mirrored the discussion between Cercei and her brother Jaime.

Disgusting sequence with Sam, sheesh! What was the point of that...

I loved it. It felt very realistic. This show has never shied away from gritty realism. Now it's just sh***y realism.

Anyway, important discovery there in the end, and a surprise return from a certain character in the dark. I liked that too.

Yeah, the inmate in the infirmary? Sad to see the progress.

Euron courting Cersei, so he will of course meet his niece and nephew in battle on the sea somewhere. What did I see in that giant map on the floor though, is the sea freezing on the north west and creating new passages for the army of the dead?

I wasn't sure if the painting was just still unfinished, but I suspect you are right.

The Dog and Berric Dondarrion, I guess it was the same cottage the Dog and Arya stayed in... nice to see him with a conscience, but too little too late if you ask me.

I'm glad he has a bit of a conscience. He's grown, and I like that.

And the army of the dead is walking past the wall by an arrow-head-shaped mountain, is that on the west side then? The dragon comes home to roost... on top of a cache of dragonglass. How appropriate.
Did I forget or miss anything important?

My quibbles:

1) Why was Dragonstone completely abandoned? Did Stannis really pull everyone from his capital to march in the tundra? Where are the womenfolk and children? Where are the servants and the elderly? Strategically, what would be the point of moving everyone out of a place you hold?

Unless everyone left afterwards... but why? Surely if you have a home, why leave it for parts unknown? Where did Stannis' elderly, infirm, and too-young go? There should still be people there; otherwise, he was never a king, just a general waging war.

2) How is Arya able to impersonate Walder Frey's voice?

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#3 2017-07-18 00:57:32

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

I wasn't sure if the painting was just still unfinished, but I suspect you are right.

I think they were actually updating the painting?

1) Why was Dragonstone completely abandoned? Did Stannis really pull everyone from his capital to march in the tundra? Where are the womenfolk and children? Where are the servants and the elderly? Strategically, what would be the point of moving everyone out of a place you hold?

Unless everyone left afterwards... but why? Surely if you have a home, why leave it for parts unknown? Where did Stannis' elderly, infirm, and too-young go? There should still be people there; otherwise, he was never a king, just a general waging war.

Good point. And if it was empty for a while, others would have moved in and seized it.

Well, because otherwise it wouldn't work!

#4 2017-07-18 11:07:53

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

I think they were actually updating the painting?

Really? I thought I saw a blank area right before Jaime motioned the painter to leave.

Good point. And if it was empty for a while, others would have moved in and seized it.

Yes.

Well, because otherwise it wouldn't work!

Haha!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#5 2017-07-21 16:14:20

ylvs
Mantis

The NYT has it best about Sam:

NYT wrote:

The pot montage was the most disgusting thing I’ve laughed at in awhile.

#6 2017-07-21 22:24:06

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Heh. True.

Is brown soup really the only thing they're allowed to eat in Oldtown?

#7 2017-07-22 14:23:43

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

No other observations? We're almost at next week!

#8 2017-07-22 14:59:33

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Will have to wait to watch episode 2, we're going to Prague for a couple of days...

#9 2017-07-22 15:13:12

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Šťastnou cestu, Kenan!

#10 2017-07-22 20:40:23

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Kenan wrote:

Sansa deals wisdom to Jon and he's not quite listening. This was my favourite part of the first episode, when she told him he must be better than Ned and not make the same mistakes. Otherwise he does seem pretty much exactly the same as Ned. So I like this little story line.

I like this storyline, too, and I love seeing the Starks finally reunited and holding their own (well, two of them, anyway). That scene is something I've waited for, for fifteen years. And even though it will likely never happen on paper, I'm relieved to see it anyway.

Yeah, that was some good stuff.  I think actually that if Jon and Sansa were really as good at this stuff as they think they are, they could put a good-cop / bad-cop dynamic to use.  Let Sansa have the reputation of the stern woman who survived Ramsay Bolton, while Jon is the warm all-father of the nation.  Littlefinger would tell them to discuss that kind of stuff in advance and make it work for them to keep all the houses in line.  If they ever really need to bring down the hammer, Jon can say he's bowing to his sister's counsel, more in sadness than in anger, etc etc.

Anyway, important discovery there in the end, and a surprise return from a certain character in the dark. I liked that too.

Yeah, the inmate in the infirmary? Sad to see the progress.

I'm actually a little bummed that's where he ended up.  I'd been expecting him to go seeking a solution to his problem in Asshai by the Shadow, and maybe bring back some sort of knowledge or artifact into the bargain.

Firsfron wrote:

Dragonstone has no farmland.  When Stannis went north, he took all the supplies.  Anyone left would've abandoned it eventually, or starved.  They might've been able to get a little food by fishing, but why bother?  What's there for them?  It wasn't really their home, they only came with Stannis to occupy the land after Robert's Rebellion -- their homes were in the Stormlands.

And as far as anyone else coming to occupy it -- who's had the time?  The Iron Fleet might have eventually grabbed it and used it as a strategic supply station, but they're too late now.  To assault it they'd need to figure out a way to fight dragons.  (In a clear sky, heavy ballistae on all the ships might do the trick, but the dragons could wait for a cloudy day and just rain fire in the general vicinity of the ships.  Don't have to kill them all at once.

Magic, silly. :-D

Last edited by Auros (2017-07-22 20:43:05)

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#11 2017-07-23 13:35:21

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Auros wrote:

Yeah, that was some good stuff.  I think actually that if Jon and Sansa were really as good at this stuff as they think they are, they could put a good-cop / bad-cop dynamic to use.  Let Sansa have the reputation of the stern woman who survived Ramsay Bolton, while Jon is the warm all-father of the nation.  Littlefinger would tell them to discuss that kind of stuff in advance and make it work for them to keep all the houses in line.  If they ever really need to bring down the hammer, Jon can say he's bowing to his sister's counsel, more in sadness than in anger, etc etc.

I actually wondered, briefly, if they weren't playing good cop/bad cop, but their fight afterwards scuttles that. They're just dysfunctional siblings!

I'm actually a little bummed that's where he ended up.  I'd been expecting him to go seeking a solution to his problem in Asshai by the Shadow, and maybe bring back some sort of knowledge or artifact into the bargain.

Now that would have been cool indeed. Instead, we see he's... just hanging out at the hospital. Not at all what we've come to expect from him.

But that's his voice... unless that was also Arya. ;)

Firsfron wrote:

Dragonstone has no farmland.  When Stannis went north, he took all the supplies.  Anyone left would've abandoned it eventually, or starved.  They might've been able to get a little food by fishing, but why bother?  What's there for them?  It wasn't really their home, they only came with Stannis to occupy the land after Robert's Rebellion -- their homes were in the Stormlands.

But the Stormlands are clearly coastline. The people there are fishermen. No way they would have starved on an island.

Imagine any real-world capital. Would all of the people have left Washington DC, for example? No; you'd have hangers-on, and squatters living in the monuments and buildings. People too old or sick to leave. People tired of moving. People wanting to declare themselves the keepers of the place, in the power vacuum.

And having Stannis leave Dragonstone without any sort of steward makes no sense.

Having the place completely abandoned makes the world feel too small.

Magic, silly. :-D

But the Faceless Men never showed her any magic, so far as we know.

When "Jaqen" uses a face, it is apparently magic: we see the face change in an instant.

When Arya uses a face, we see her pull off a mask. There's no magic involved.

#12 2017-07-23 14:41:19

ylvs
Mantis

But Arya is Walder Frey before she pulls down the face. Composture, hands, voice - everything.

What I actually came back to say: I had funny crossover moment. When the fog rolls in right after the credits and the first thing we see is a lone rider, my first thought was: Deornoth go!

#13 2017-07-23 15:11:23

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

What I actually came back to say: I had funny crossover moment. When the fog rolls in right after the credits and the first thing we see is a lone rider, my first thought was: Deornoth go!

Haha! That's funny!

#14 2017-07-23 19:16:12

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Imagine any real-world capital.

Dragonstone was never a capital -- the island is small.  It was just an outpost during the Targaryen conquest.  They built their capital at King's Landing.

When "Jaqen" uses a face, it is apparently magic: we see the face change in an instant.

Of course there's magic.  If you take a skinned face and stick it over your own, you're not going to look like the living person -- the face won't move as if alive.

She certainly learned how to prepare bodies to provide the masks.  And she "borrowed" a face from the Hall of Faces, once she'd been given access there, in order to disguise herself as a girl young enough to get picked by Meryn Trant (whom she then killed -- I think that may have been the first time we saw the mask effect).

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Arya

Trant is given three girls the next night, who he beats for his amusement. The first two are left whimpering from his beatings, but not the third. Trant dismisses the first two and continues to hit the third girl, to no effect, so he punches her in the gut. Crumpled on the floor, the girl removes her face and reveals herself as Arya.

And then of course she was blinded.  Jaqen tells her that "to someone" (that is, to a person who has not become no one, a person who is not ready to be a Faceless Man), "the faces are as good as poison" -- most likely if she were some rando off the street, she would've died, but as a partially-trained acolyte she was just struck blind.  We also saw the Waif use a mask, when she stabbed Arya.  Every face in the hall carries the magic, and can be used by anyone that's been properly inducted, which Arya was at the point where she got her sight back.  If she hadn't been spiritually ready to join the Faceless Men, the water from the pool would've killed her; instead it made her one of them.  Face magic as practiced by "Jaqen" may be more advanced -- he can wear many faces all at once, and shift between them.

Last edited by Auros (2017-07-23 19:30:39)

#15 2017-07-24 00:26:37

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Auros wrote:

Imagine any real-world capital.

Dragonstone was never a capital -- the island is small.  It was just an outpost during the Targaryen conquest.  They built their capital at King's Landing.

"Just an outpost"? Dragonstone is the traditional seat of Targaryen power. No way should such a jewel -- symbolic or no -- be abandoned completely. There's a reason Stannis built his power there, and to abandon it completely, without even a token guard, makes no tactical sense. (Then again, we're talking about a guy who burned his beloved daughter in a desperate attempt to win a battle. The Stannis storyline makes little sense post-book).

Auros wrote:

Of course there's magic.  If you take a skinned face and stick it over your own, you're not going to look like the living person -- the face won't move as if alive.

She certainly learned how to prepare bodies to provide the masks.  And she "borrowed" a face from the Hall of Faces, once she'd been given access there, in order to disguise herself as a girl young enough to get picked by Meryn Trant (whom she then killed -- I think that may have been the first time we saw the mask effect).

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Arya

Trant is given three girls the next night, who he beats for his amusement. The first two are left whimpering from his beatings, but not the third. Trant dismisses the first two and continues to hit the third girl, to no effect, so he punches her in the gut. Crumpled on the floor, the girl removes her face and reveals herself as Arya.

And then of course she was blinded.  Jaqen tells her that "to someone" (that is, to a person who has not become no one, a person who is not ready to be a Faceless Man), "the faces are as good as poison" -- most likely if she were some rando off the street, she would've died, but as a partially-trained acolyte she was just struck blind.  We also saw the Waif use a mask, when she stabbed Arya.  Every face in the hall carries the magic, and can be used by anyone that's been properly inducted, which Arya was at the point where she got her sight back.  If she hadn't been spiritually ready to join the Faceless Men, the water from the pool would've killed her; instead it made her one of them.  Face magic as practiced by "Jaqen" may be more advanced -- he can wear many faces all at once, and shift between them.

That wasn't my understanding at all, and I know I'm not the only one. YouTuber Sarah of House Dayne brings up some of my points. "Arya wasn't really capable of changing her face in the books. And from what we saw in the show, she wasn't really trained to do this, either."

We never see Arya being taught to do any magic by the Faceless Men. We see her cleaning up dead bodies, and then being beaten daily by The Waif. If she was taught to be faceless, why didn't she change faces when The Waif tried to kill her?

And it's not a matter of donning a magical mask, either. You say "every face in the hall carries the magic". But Walder Frey's face was never in the hall. How, then, did his face become magical? For that matter, how did Arya assume the face of the young girl when Arya killed Trant? That face, too, was never in the hall. What of the servant-girl whose face Arya assumed to get next to Walder Frey? And presumably, her plan is to kill Cercei using another face. But the faces she picks are of people who were never in the Hall of the Faceless. Not ever.

I'm still open to suggestions on how Arya's facelessness works, but three times already we've seen her use faces that were never in the hall. If the power is in those masks in the hall, why isn't she using those masks? Instead, the masks she uses are of people who are recognizable to her victims.

#16 2017-07-24 13:15:34

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

The power is in any face that has been properly prepared by somebody who has passed through the training well enough to survive the water from the pool.  (And Arya may be something new, unique in history -- she absorbed the training enough to "become nobody", and then became somebody again, while retaining the power.)

My interpretation makes sense of the evidence in the show.  It conflicts with the books, sure, but in the books the Kindly Man is (probably) an entirely different person from the one Arya met as "Jaqen H'ghar".  There's a ton of divergence between the books and the series.

Also, the face that she assumed when she went to kill Trant was from the hall.  (IIRC, she gets caught while returning it.  Or rather, most likely "Jaqen" knew the moment she took it, but didn't bother to catch her until she came back.)

Last edited by Auros (2017-07-24 13:15:49)

#17 2017-08-01 09:05:14

ylvs
Mantis

During ep. 2 didn't any of you think "where the heck does Euron's fleet come from?" He lost his fleet to Yara a the end of season 6 and now he has a new one just like that? Who built it? When? from which wood? Where? This made no sense whatsorever.

#18 2017-08-01 22:41:32

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

During ep. 2 didn't any of you think "where the heck does Euron's fleet come from?" He lost his fleet to Yara a the end of season 6 and now he has a new one just like that? Who built it? When? from which wood? Where? This made no sense whatsorever.

Yes. Huge fleet out of nowhere. I totally agree.

#19 2017-08-02 02:51:59

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Uh, did you guys watch last season?  Yara sails off with a fraction of the Ironborn fleet -- some of the best / fastest ships, but not even a majority.  And then Euron immediately sets about cutting down every tree on the Iron Islands to build his new fleet.  (Which seems unwise in the long run, but he's not a long-run sorta guy.)

Now, the amount of timber that would go into a thousand ships is larger than anything we've ever seen on the Iron Islands -- I found an article that calculated the area of forest you'd need to denude for a thousand ships of the scale seen in recent episodes would be around 1.5x the size of London.  But, well, maybe a bunch of the Iron Islands, enough to add up to that much area, have been left largely uninhabited and tree-covered.  We've mostly seen the capital, Pike.  You can't just visit the urban center of Honolulu, and conclude that the islands of Hawaii have no trees. *shrug*

For the construction, it seems to be implied that virtually every Ironborn knows something about the art of shipbuilding.  So they got their entire population to chip in, over the course of a year or so.

Last edited by Auros (2017-08-02 03:00:23)

#20 2017-08-02 03:17:06

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Auros wrote:

Uh, did you guys watch last season?  Yara sails off with a fraction of the Ironborn fleet -- some of the best / fastest ships, but not even a majority.  And then Euron immediately sets about cutting down every tree on the Iron Islands to build his new fleet.  (Which seems unwise in the long run, but he's not a long-run sorta guy.)

Now, the amount of timber that would go into a thousand ships is larger than anything we've ever seen on the Iron Islands -- I found an article that calculated the area of forest you'd need to denude for a thousand ships of the scale seen in recent episodes would be around 1.5x the size of London.  But, well, maybe a bunch of the Iron Islands, enough to add up to that much area, have been left largely uninhabited and tree-covered.  We've mostly seen the capital, Pike.  You can't just visit the urban center of Honolulu, and conclude that the islands of Hawaii have no trees. *shrug*

For the construction, it seems to be implied that virtually every Ironborn knows something about the art of shipbuilding.  So they got their entire population to chip in, over the course of a year or so.

A maritime historian interviewed by Mashable says they'd need 750,000 trees for 1,000 ships. "If the Iron Islands were really as rocky and desolate as Greyjoy says, it sounds unlikely that he would be able to find enough timber for a 1,000-ship fleet, besides all the workers, iron, rope, canvas and other materials needed," said Friel.

"Given the figures above, Euron's "build me a thousand ships" speech starts to look more and more ridiculous.[...] Ultimately, it's a fault of the script. Euron didn't need to make that speech. He could have hinted at stealing ships as well as building them, or he could have implied he had a bunch left over and only needed to replace the ones Theon stole. He didn't, though. He specifically says "build me a thousand ships" at the end of Season 6, and then he repeats that exact number at the start of Season 7."

And of course it takes years to build an armada of 1,000 ships. "Building a fleet of 1,000 vessels in a short time would require tens of thousands of workers." The experts' opinion is "nope".

#21 2017-08-02 03:35:44

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

That's the same article that says it would take a team of 50 about fifteen months to build Euron's flagship.  (Smaller ships would take less time and material.)

It is not unreasonable to suppose that the adult population across the Iron Islands could be on the order of 50k.  They are a large enough group to have historically posed a significant threat to the more powerful kingdoms.  They're not just some podunk village.

If they really all have at least basic ship-building competence, enough to be dragooned into doing at least a half-day of work on top of whatever else they need to survive, this is easily and adequate workforce to build the thousand ships in, say, 18 months.  (Which could well be the amount of time elapsed between Yara fleeing, and her return to Dragonstone.  The layout of events in the episodes distort time -- they're skipping over a lot of boring stuff -- laying in supplies, planning and executing the logistics of loading ships, etc...)

Also the same article that says "That’s equivalent to 139 Epping Forests or a wood that is one-and-a-half times bigger than Greater London."  And again, if this is an archipelago of several hundred little islands, like the Philippines, there could easily be enough minimally-inhabited rocks with trees on them that the timber could be harvested.  Or some could be brought in from the North -- it's not like the Northmen are spending much effort guarding their forests just now.

The article sets out to say it's unrealistic, but instead actually gives numbers that suggest that the effort would be a stretch, but not outside the realm of the possible.

Last edited by Auros (2017-08-02 03:36:46)

#22 2017-08-06 22:55:54

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Oh, my dear Starks. How I longed to see you home once more in Winterfell. I waited for nearly twenty years. This isn't the happy homecoming I would have wished for you, but it is better than nothing.

#23 2017-08-06 23:36:41

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Tonight's episode was pretty great.

* SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS *

It looks like Qyburn's weapon could be pretty effective if it hit the head, or the chest over a critical organ.  But other than that, maybe it stops the target from flying for a bit, but isn't fatal...  Unless he's applied some kind of poison to the ammo, which I wouldn't put past him. :-/

#24 2017-08-07 18:10:50

Maladroit
Pilgrim

*These are not the GoT spoilers I was looking for...*

(don't have showtime. current tech status precludes most video watching. refuse to buy another book until the series is done)

#25 2017-08-07 20:20:57

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Maladroit wrote:

*These are not the GoT spoilers I was looking for...*

(don't have showtime. current tech status precludes most video watching. refuse to buy another book until the series is done)

But GOT is on HBO, Maladroit! (And now, apparently, also Hulu Plus).

Board footer