Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-07-09 15:19:58

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM - Lost and Found: Brains and Dragons

Enjoy your vacation, Ylvs!
*crosses fingers for pleasant weather*

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#52 2017-07-09 15:21:52

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Enjoy your vacation, Ylvs!
*crosses fingers for pleasant weather*

Seconded!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#53 2017-07-09 15:32:20

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Small cameras are still kind of depressing. Very little has changed over the last years in this segment. Apparently newer sensors and image processors don't find their way into this price range.

The WX350 still has far better battery life than anything else and keeps up in image quality with most models.

The Panasonic TZ81 and Canon HS710 beat it by quite a bit in image quality, yet the TZ81 is a bit pricey for what it does and the HS710 has very short battery life. I'd still recommend looking at the HS710, the image quality in the dark is a lot better, mostly due to a newer image processor. If it weren't for the short battery life, it would be quite solid.

The Sony RX100 doesn't have nearly as much zoom and it's a bit more expensive, but it's on a totally different planet in terms of image quality, especially outside of full sunlight. Battery life is fairly good and it uses the same batteries as the WX350.

The Canon G9X Mark II is the main competitor of the RX100 in the low price, large sensor market. A little more expensive, less battery life and even less zoom range, but much more modern features (WiFi among other things).

I can provide links to reviews and sample images if you want.

Just looking at prices (and availability), I'm leaning towards sticking with the WX350. It's over 100 € cheaper than all the others, and I can keep using my batteries, so I would have two spares. And I think I like my money (and the zoom) more than better image quality.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#54 2017-07-09 16:26:41

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Kenan wrote:

You're so kind to help Magpie with the camera hunt, Peter!

I'm upgrading my Canon 6D to a 6D mark 2! As soon as it's available...

Ooooooo....

I still have so many things I want to get, but I have way more needs that I cant justify putting off (like tires for my car).

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#55 2017-07-10 00:10:22

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Maen Mint!

Back at work.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#56 2017-07-10 03:51:45

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Went to bed at a reasonable time, but still woke up tired.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#57 2017-07-10 04:04:29

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I'm already getting tired again as well and I didn't even do anything. It seems I can sleep all day recently...

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#58 2017-07-10 07:48:04

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Aditu, well I don't have a car, or a driver's license, so it's really easy to save those bucks for something else...

Magpie, that sounds like the right choice for you, hope you'll enjoy the new camera!

Ylvs, enjoy your vacation :)

*waves to Peter and Sahi*

I'm tired too, but from working out... a walk/jog in the hilly woods near here.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#59 2017-07-10 08:08:57

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

Magpie, that sounds like the right choice for you, hope you'll enjoy the new camera!

Well, it'll be the same as what I already have (or had, before I broke it), so it's not new as in "something I didn't have before".

So, Peter, you don't have to look for reviews any more, I'll go and buy another WX350 today (because today I have time, and tomorrow and on Wednesday I don't, and I don't want to go until Thursday without a camera... actually kind of need it for work right now.)

- Tad

#60 2017-07-10 09:51:27

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

ok, but still! :)

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#61 2017-07-10 10:37:38

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I am a little sad that there has been so little progress in this segment, but it does indeed seem that the WX350 is still the best fit.

#62 2017-07-10 11:03:27

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Okay, this was funny. Went to Saturn, waited for an employee to have time for me and noticed that the guy the employee was currently helping was also looking at the WX350, so I told him I'd had it for a few years and was very happy with it, and wanted to buy it again (and explained that I'd been an idiot and broken it). So the employee squeezed me in and got me the camera, and a case to go with it. (So I won't break it again, hopefully.)

And then I figured, if I'm already in the area, I might as well stop by Thalia and see if I could find a book. And while I was paying my usual visit to the Tad display to smile at the books, I heard another customer ask an employee about the new Tad Williams book - so I butted in again and told her I loved it, and had read the manuscript, and answered her questions about it.

It's kind of funny - some days I can't talk to people at all, and today it was so easy.

- Tad

#63 2017-07-10 11:41:24

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

*waves* Gmaen mint!

looks like you are a born 'sales-person', Magpie! Not matter if it are plants, books or a camera (^___^)
But all this camera talks reminds me that haven't taken pictures in a while - too many hobbies...

have a nice vacation, ylvs! *waves-happy-holiday-to-ylvs*

our central boiler had problems with preparing a suitable amount of hot water for a while now. Today, it finally broke down (or so it seems). My shower this morning was cold and still there is no hot water. *shudders*. I called the landlord weeks before so he would check out the boiler but he did nothing *grrrr*. Now, it is time for an 'official' letter....

#64 2017-07-10 12:27:12

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Um. And now laptop seems to have some loose part clattering around inside it??? This seems worrying.

I hope your boiler gets fixed soon, Kia! Cold showers are no fun.

- Tad

#65 2017-07-10 12:33:32

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Aieee, don't remind me that I still have to check if my laptop is alright... (Cause I'm not quite alright. I tripped while running to catch my train, and got quite a few bruises and scratches. I was glad my clothes didn't tear. I even cancelled my therapy session, because of it.)

Scrollbearer

#66 2017-07-10 12:37:29

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Ouch, Sahi! *gently throws golden jellybeans*

- Tad

#67 2017-07-10 12:38:16

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Okay, so laptop started up just fine.

Scrollbearer

#68 2017-07-10 12:44:39

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Do we have jelly beans that fix tech? There seems to be a lot of broken stuff around :/

Hope your landlord fixes the boiler quickly, Kia. Did you give him another call that it's completely broken now? That might speed him up a bit. Cold showers are awful...

I hope all the various laptops and computers here are working and keep working.

#69 2017-07-10 12:52:40

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Do we have jelly beans that fix tech?

*pokes around the Factory*

Not that I can find.

*throws gold jellybeans at laptops and boilers*

Who knows, maybe they help.

- Tad

#70 2017-07-10 13:12:02

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Did we already have copper jellybeans?

Scrollbearer

#71 2017-07-10 13:46:01

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Yes, they are for cleverness.

- Tad

#72 2017-07-10 14:17:39

Magpie
Mantis
Website

It's raining, it's raining, it's raining!

*dances and cries with relief*

Also, this computer-clattering has reminded me that it's high time for a backup.

- Tad

#73 2017-07-10 15:38:35

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Today I had to cut back some parsley plants at work... and brought home all the stuff I cut off. I just spent an hour stripping leaves off the stalks, and now they still need to be chopped and frozen. But I'll do that tomorrow.

- Tad

#74 2017-07-10 16:28:01

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

*drops into mint, head hanging in shame*

Been a long time, I do apologize.... was in a bit of a shit mood and nasty place.... Bit better now....

*huggles smarchers*

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#75 2017-07-10 16:28:03

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

Peter wrote:

*waves all around*

Miiru, are you looking for a new place to stash your gold in?

That is a thing I am doing, yes. We'd hoped not to move again so soon, but the owner of the current house has elected not to renew our lease-- she's decided she'd rather sell the house than rent it out. So we're on the road again, as the wise old sage sang.

In truth, I'm not dreadfully despondent over this. We've been talking about downsizing for a while anyway, and this is probably the kick in the rear we need to actually do that thing.

Ted Kennedy in a speedo is just another sign of the coming apocalypse.
-wiked
"He who smelteth it delteth it O LORD."
-bandit

Board footer