Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-07-09 03:42:25

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Re: QM - Lost and Found: Brains and Dragons

*waves*

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#27 2017-07-09 04:32:23

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

*waves* Gmaen mint!

Yesterday my best friend and I met at the local wellness place for some evening wellness. Since it's school holidays at the moment and we started at 7pm the place wasn't crowed, which was really great. We brought yummy food along, went to the sauna and had a few swims in the outdoor pool. It was the best girls-spa-day in a long time *is all relaxed and happy*

...The time I didn't spent for food preparation or sleeping in  was spent with TWC (^______________^)

#28 2017-07-09 07:23:53

Magpie
Mantis
Website

So far, I've spent all of today staring at useless things on the internet (no cameras so far). Finally dragging myself out to water some plants, now.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#29 2017-07-09 08:17:50

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*blink blink*

Stayed up late last night. Woken up earlier than desired, but with the promise of food and coffee, so it's not a complete waste. Trying to decide what to do next, as it all requires moving that I'm not sure I'm up to yet ;)

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#30 2017-07-09 08:35:30

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

*thud*

G'maen Mint & 'ers. Swelteringly hot here today, I can't bring myself to do anything outside. I shall spend it looking at apartments and townhomes/condos on the internet and narrowing down the search.

Ted Kennedy in a speedo is just another sign of the coming apocalypse.
-wiked
"He who smelteth it delteth it O LORD."
-bandit

#31 2017-07-09 08:43:52

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Very hot here, too, and humid, and I want to hope it means we'll get a thunderstorm, but it has felt like this too often, and then all we got was five drops of rain and a puff of hot wind to dry them right up again.

*collapses on the couch*

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#32 2017-07-09 09:16:04

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves all around*

Sounds like you had an excellent day, Kia!

Miiru, are you looking for a new place to stash your gold in?

I can confirm the hot weather and spent the day at my sister's place to celebrate my niece's 4th birthday. Lots of presents, which were unpacked in seconds to be ignored in favour of a balloon. People were ignored too, as it should be.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#33 2017-07-09 10:35:42

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Staring at cameras and understanding nothing...
I'll go and do laundry. At least I understand that...

- Tad

#34 2017-07-09 10:56:18

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Well, I'm doing a bunch of staring as well. I have been looking at reasonably compact cameras (no more than 4cm thick, no more than 300g), that can at least do 1080p video (which excludes the really cheap cameras).

Sony does not seem to have updated its lineup much, so the models are largely the same as last time around. Still looking at a few details there.

Canon does seem to have updated almost everything, so they are a lot more competitive now. Picture quality looks better in the lower price brackets than Sony, but I have not checked all the details like battery life, etc. yet.

Nikon doesn't seem to sell anything like that.

There are some cameras with enivronmental protection (no zoom lens sliding out, thus much smaller zoom ranges, but they are water proof and thus dust proof as well). They will be more expensive, have less zoom range and more weight on average.

Some more questions:

Zoom: I was not suggesting cameras without zoom, but zoom ranges vary dramatically. Your current camera has a 20x optical zoom, some of the higher quality models only offer a 3-4x zoom. This is enough for most purposes, but if you zoom in on a flower from range, you may need more. Is 20x enough, do you want more, is a little less ok?

Image quality: Is image quality by day / night good enough? The higher quality models are *dramatically* better at night. It's not even close. By daylight there's still a difference, but it won't be too apparent at web blog resolutions.

Battery life: Is it enough, do you need more, or would less still be enough?

Size and weight: The width and height will generally be in the range of your current model, but most are a little thicker and up to twice as heavy. How important is that? How much heavier and thicker can they be?

Anything else you particularly like or want?

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#35 2017-07-09 11:08:58

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Well, I'm doing a bunch of staring as well. I have been looking at reasonably compact cameras (no more than 4cm thick, no more than 300g), that can at least do 1080p video (which excludes the really cheap cameras).

Sony does not seem to have updated its lineup much, so the models are largely the same as last time around. Still looking at a few details there.

Canon does seem to have updated almost everything, so they are a lot more competitive now. Picture quality looks better in the lower price brackets than Sony, but I have not checked all the details like battery life, etc. yet.

Nikon doesn't seem to sell anything like that.

There are some cameras with enivronmental protection (no zoom lens sliding out, thus much smaller zoom ranges, but they are water proof and thus dust proof as well). They will be more expensive, have less zoom range and more weight on average.

Some more questions:

Zoom: I was not suggesting cameras without zoom, but zoom ranges vary dramatically. Your current camera has a 20x optical zoom, some of the higher quality models only offer a 3-4x zoom. This is enough for most purposes, but if you zoom in on a flower from range, you may need more. Is 20x enough, do you want more, is a little less ok?

I don't need more, but having gotten used to this, I don't really want less. (The zoom was the first thing to die yesterday, and oh my god was it painful to take pictures without it.)

Image quality: Is image quality by day / night good enough? The higher quality models are *dramatically* better at night. It's not even close. By daylight there's still a difference, but it won't be too apparent at web blog resolutions.

By day, it's plenty good enough for me. Could be better by night, definitely, but it's not a high priority.

Battery life: Is it enough, do you need more, or would less still be enough?

It's enough, and I could probably get by with less, although I would not be too happy about it.
(One thing that occurred to me is that it would be convenient if I could keep using the batteries I already have, because it seems a waste to have two perfectly good batteries and no camera to put them in. But that's probably not the most important thing to base my choice on.)

Size and weight: The width and height will generally be in the range of your current model, but most are a little thicker and up to twice as heavy. How important is that? How much heavier and thicker can they be?

I can deal with more weight, thicker is a bit more of an issue - women's clothes tend not to have very large pockets, and even if I will try to be a bit more careful with the new one, I will still need/want to put it in my pocket sometimes.

- Tad

#36 2017-07-09 11:59:37

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Thanks, that gives me a fairly clear picture. I will offer a few options outside of those parameters, but all things being equal that lets me eliminate a lot of cameras.

#37 2017-07-09 12:13:40

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

You're so kind to help Magpie with the camera hunt, Peter!

I'm upgrading my Canon 6D to a 6D mark 2! As soon as it's available...

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#38 2017-07-09 12:15:03

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Thanks, that gives me a fairly clear picture. I will offer a few options outside of those parameters, but all things being equal that lets me eliminate a lot of cameras.

Thank you so much - I don't know what I would do without you! (Be at the mercy of electronics store employees, I guess...)

- Tad

#39 2017-07-09 12:15:09

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I suspect that does not meet the pocketability and price requirements, though it'll score well on battery life, image quality and zoom range :D

#40 2017-07-09 12:21:30

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

So far I've narrowed it down to the Sony WX350 (still available, still the best battery life, very light and compact), Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ58 (the biggest unknown), Canon PowerShot SX620 HS and Canon PowerShot SX710 HS.

So far the SX620 HS is probably the closest to being a better WX350 (slightly worse battery life, but better image quality). The SX710 looks even better in image quality (suspiciously good, need to double check), but has fairly poor battery life.

And as always, the Sony RX100 and maybe the Canon G9X Mark II are worth a look. They are still pocketable and somewhat affordable, but offer dramatically better image quality at the expense of zoom range. The Sony would actually use your battery packs. Zoom is only 4x instead of 20x though, so that might be a no-no. At 340€ this is the cheapest camera that makes truly good images in low light. The SX620 and SX710 already look to be a step up over the WX350 due to better processing though.

#41 2017-07-09 12:21:42

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Peter wrote:

I suspect that does not meet the pocketability and price requirements, though it'll score well on battery life, image quality and zoom range :D

I barely get x20 zoom though, from 17 to 400mm :)

#42 2017-07-09 12:25:59

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

All a matter of pricing and getting the right lenses, right? :D

#43 2017-07-09 12:41:28

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Well naturally :)

#44 2017-07-09 12:49:35

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Maen Mint! Went to my Finnish friend to clean and built a base for my dress dummy. The stand will be made later, as that requires close coordination with the dummy itself (as the height is really important).

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#45 2017-07-09 12:56:54

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I'm finally cleaning a bit.

And it's raining. *crosses fingers that it will keep raining all night*

- Tad

#46 2017-07-09 13:58:25

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Small cameras are still kind of depressing. Very little has changed over the last years in this segment. Apparently newer sensors and image processors don't find their way into this price range.

The WX350 still has far better battery life than anything else and keeps up in image quality with most models.

The Panasonic TZ81 and Canon HS710 beat it by quite a bit in image quality, yet the TZ81 is a bit pricey for what it does and the HS710 has very short battery life. I'd still recommend looking at the HS710, the image quality in the dark is a lot better, mostly due to a newer image processor. If it weren't for the short battery life, it would be quite solid.

The Sony RX100 doesn't have nearly as much zoom and it's a bit more expensive, but it's on a totally different planet in terms of image quality, especially outside of full sunlight. Battery life is fairly good and it uses the same batteries as the WX350.

The Canon G9X Mark II is the main competitor of the RX100 in the low price, large sensor market. A little more expensive, less battery life and even less zoom range, but much more modern features (WiFi among other things).

I can provide links to reviews and sample images if you want.

Last edited by Peter (2017-07-09 14:01:15)

#47 2017-07-09 14:35:26

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

If it's not too much trouble. I could look for them myself otherwise.

- Tad

#48 2017-07-09 15:01:58

ylvs
Mantis

Gmaen Mint.

Am in Zug, Switzerland atm. On our way to the family vacation in Provence (the family Daughter1.1 stayed with for two months last years has invited us). I am a bit afraid of the heat there. 35C these days which is insanly hot for me.

We'll see.

#49 2017-07-09 15:05:31

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Have a great vacation!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#50 2017-07-09 15:19:19

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Magpie wrote:

Peter wrote:

If it's not too much trouble. I could look for them myself otherwise.

Will do tomorrow :)

Board footer