Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.


You are not logged in.

#26 2017-07-07 12:07:56

Daughter of Lluth
Pilgrim
Registered: 2017-07-05
Posts: 24

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

chamberk wrote:

I feel like Morgan won't be spending too much time in the forest alone - Binabik and Little Snenneq have to be around somewhere close, right?

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER


He's not even alone in the tree, though whether it's a friend or foe we don't know.

 

#27 2017-07-07 12:31:41

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23107
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Ad1tu wrote:

I dunno. Simon wasn't spoiled by any measure, but I don't think Rachel was ever as harsh to him as she might have been to others. And c'mon, climbing Hjeldin's Tower is TOTALLY something Simon would have done.

But Simon only climbed Green Angel Tower! ;)

Besides, Morgan is this trilogy's Simon. It's a young man's coming of age story.

Is it, though? I had thought that maybe it was a little more about the now-aged people in the story... but you do seem to be right. An automated search of the text pulls up the number of times each character is mentioned:

Morgan - 861
Simon - 681
Eolair - 477
Nezeru - 435
Miri - 432
Jarnulf - 358
Makho - 334
Tiamak - 332
Viyeki - 323
Pasevalles - 303
Unver - 212
Little Snenneq - 209
Etan - 172
Fremur - 163
Lillia - 162
Tzoja - 142
Binabik - 136
Jesa - 127
Kemme - 124
Saomeji - 112
Akhenabi - 107
Isgrimnur - 106
Odrig - 103
Jiriki - 101
Qina - 87
John Josua - 77
Hugh - 74
Aditu - 70
Idela - 69
Tanahaya - 64
Utuk'ku - 62


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#28 2017-07-07 12:53:46

Outsider
Pilgrim
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2008-04-29
Posts: 177
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

chamberk wrote:

I feel like Morgan won't be spending too much time in the forest alone - Binabik and Little Snenneq have to be around somewhere close, right?

And didn't they just leave Jiriki? Wouldn't he have heard some scuffle and come to investigate?


"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire
"Bring back meat, we are not Zida'ya, to live on flowers and bee's milk." -- Kemme

Follow me on Twitter

 

#29 2017-07-07 12:58:37

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23107
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Outsider wrote:

chamberk wrote:

I feel like Morgan won't be spending too much time in the forest alone - Binabik and Little Snenneq have to be around somewhere close, right?

And didn't they just leave Jiriki? Wouldn't he have heard some scuffle and come to investigate?

Good points, both of you.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#30 2017-07-07 13:08:29

ajl3
Pilgrim
Registered: 2017-02-14
Posts: 360

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

chamberk wrote:

I feel like Morgan won't be spending too much time in the forest alone - Binabik and Little Snenneq have to be around somewhere close, right?

Well, there's always the Face Fondler to team up with/be eaten by.

Edit: Jiriki left them near their camp, they had to walk the rest of the way, and with how fast he moves he's probably gone.

Last edited by ajl3 (2017-07-07 13:09:57)

 

#31 2017-07-07 23:03:06

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23107
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

ajl3 wrote:

Well, there's always the Face Fondler to team up with/be eaten by.

I think the Face Fondler is a Dwarrow. Or possibly a Forest Dwarrow.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#32 2017-07-08 23:27:06

Pretzalz
Pilgrim
From: USA
Registered: 2001-06-02
Posts: 2256

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Ad1tu wrote:

Thanks, Firs! :)

Ok, so now that I'm all the way through, I'm still waffling on Morgan. I was really glad that he got pulled into the mission to find the Sithi with Eolair, because I was thinking that is just what he needs! To get out into the world and experience stuff! It worked with Simon, it's gotta work with him, right?

Well, Simon was never the self-absorbed, snotty little brat that Morgan is. Yes, he did a few bad things (like forging a document), but he never treated people like crap, or failed to show up at a funeral.

As Ajl3 says, Barrick is a better analogy for Morgan.

Morgan is a self-absorbed snotty little brat because he is depressed over his father's death that the funeral and guy talking about his father brought memories of to the fore? He did show up to the funeral despite not even knowing the man, but he had to leave when he couldn't take it anymore. Funerals are for the living, and people's grieving should never be judged. Miri comparing Morgan's behavior at the funeral to that of the decedant's grandson is something else. While I might add they snark and joke about it. If I were to judge, Morgan's behavior was more appropriate than Simon and Miri's.

And who does he treat like crap? Miri because she never showed him any love because he reminded her too much of JJ? Miri comes out looking at least as bad in that relationship. Morgan is 17, what is Miri's excuse?


Jane: Ohh, you are trying to deal with your loneliness by surrounding yourself with friends, hmm, how's that going to work?

 

#33 2017-07-09 06:34:37

pixiejen
Pilgrim
From: At my desk
Registered: 2008-01-18
Posts: 95
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Just finished last night -- haven't posted in quite sometime but man it feels like walking into a party you weren't invited to but I'm walking in anyway (you all know each other, quite a small tight community)


I don't want to write my Goodreads review yet but just wanted to see if there WAS a character I didn't like.

Mahko, probably but only because he's such a class A villain.  Not sure if he is dead with the dragon's blood.

All the people I hated in the Thrithings ended up dying to Unver, which was great.

I am so worried about Pasevalles.   Is he another Varys? or a Littlefinger?  Only time will tell.

Please don't get mad at the comparison, it's meant to be a good one :). As much as I really don't enjoy Martin's writing style, his stories hook me just as much as Williams' do.  Thank goodness Williams' writing is so beautiful.

As far as Morgan and Lillia go, I've raised three children.  They are grown now and I've got to say that Williams can really, really write children and teens exceptionally well.  These two characters have been spoiled and sheltered by terrified grandparents because of the loss of John Josua.  How these two are behaving is perfectly accurate and normal and watching them change will be a really beautiful thing, even if they don't turn out as we'd hope or expect them to.  I for one also really liked Lillia and Morgan both, I can see both Miri and Simon in them both.  Morgan tugged at my heartstrings in particular.  He is hurting.  Hurting a lot.  My heart just goes out to that boy.   Everything his companions say about him is true.  He has a good heart -- he just needs faith to find it. <3


"When the windows of perception are cleansed, man will see the universe as it truly is - infinite."

-W. Blake.

pixiejen.com

 

#34 2017-07-09 14:18:04

porthuronprincess
Pilgrim
Registered: 2017-03-16
Posts: 12

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Personally my least favorite character is the Widow. Her son Morgan however, is one of my favorites. I think Simon and Morgan have quite a bit in common, personally I think if Simon hadn't had greatness thrust upon him, so to speak, I think that hewould have ended up a lot like Morgan. In fact of Simon had been raised as  the prince, I think he and  Morgan would have been near identical. Both had a tendency to sulk,  and get upset by things they didn't really understand.

Last edited by porthuronprincess (2017-07-09 14:19:09)

 

#35 2017-07-09 14:55:36

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13269

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Nerahia, you are absolutely invited to the party!

Anyone loving Tad's books always is. And while you're right that quite a few of us know each other for ages online and in RL we're always welcoming new peeps around and with the new books people are coming in all the time. The more the merrier. Get to know us and become a friend as well. It's really easy. This is one of the nicest boards around.


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#36 2017-07-09 15:43:19

pixiejen
Pilgrim
From: At my desk
Registered: 2008-01-18
Posts: 95
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

ylvs wrote:

Nerahia, you are absolutely invited to the party!

Anyone loving Tad's books always is. And while you're right that quite a few of us know each other for ages online and in RL we're always welcoming new peeps around and with the new books people are coming in all the time. The more the merrier. Get to know us and become a friend as well. It's really easy. This is one of the nicest boards around.

Thanks :). I haven't been active since Shadowmarch when I was mooning over Ferras Vansen.

Now he's got me mooning over Jarnulf.  I'm 44 -- way too old to be mooning at anyone and here I go :P

Now back to who we loathe!

I forgot about Idela, because what happens to her..... /snerk.   That shocked the bejeezus out of me.


"When the windows of perception are cleansed, man will see the universe as it truly is - infinite."

-W. Blake.

pixiejen.com

 

#37 2017-07-10 21:46:40

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23107
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Nerahla wrote:

Just finished last night -- haven't posted in quite sometime but man it feels like walking into a party you weren't invited to but I'm walking in anyway (you all know each other, quite a small tight community)

Don't worry, Nerahla! We don't all know each other, although some of us do! And we are very happy to have you here.

I am so worried about Pasevalles.   Is he another Varys? or a Littlefinger?  Only time will tell.

Please don't get mad at the comparison, it's meant to be a good one :). As much as I really don't enjoy Martin's writing style, his stories hook me just as much as Williams' do.  Thank goodness Williams' writing is so beautiful.

I think Pasefinges... I mean, Pasevalles, definitely reminds me of Littlefinger.. complete with a "Moon Door" scene.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#38 2017-07-10 21:48:22

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23107
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

porthuronprincess wrote:

Personally my least favorite character is the Widow.

She definitely hasn't done her children any favors. I'm not sure she even loves them.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#39 2017-07-11 00:49:56

pixiejen
Pilgrim
From: At my desk
Registered: 2008-01-18
Posts: 95
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

I think Pasefinges... I mean, Pasevalles, definitely reminds me of Littlefinger.. complete with a "Moon Door" scene.

So that means you're thinking he is after his own motives instead of being for the High Ward?

I *hope* you're wrong but then, we all love our whackado Littlefinger - he certainly makes for a good story.

Whatever he turns out to be, whether we end up hating him or loving him, I'll be loving every minute of finding out.  His introduction was one of my favorites because he's so inscrutable - at least for now :)


"When the windows of perception are cleansed, man will see the universe as it truly is - infinite."

-W. Blake.

pixiejen.com

 

#40 2017-07-11 01:04:14

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23107
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Nerahla wrote:

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

I think Pasefinges... I mean, Pasevalles, definitely reminds me of Littlefinger.. complete with a "Moon Door" scene.

So that means you're thinking he is after his own motives instead of being for the High Ward?

Yes, I think so. I think when you start killing random people, you've lost sight of what's best for the kingdom. I think he may have been behind John Josua's death, Father Strangyeard's death (if he's actually dead and not secretly fathering Jarnulf), and may have been behind the disappearance of the black arrows.

I *hope* you're wrong but then, we all love our whackado Littlefinger - he certainly makes for a good story.

Whatever he turns out to be, whether we end up hating him or loving him, I'll be loving every minute of finding out.  His introduction was one of my favorites because he's so inscrutable - at least for now :)

I agree! But if Pasevalles is Littlefinger, who is Sansa? Dun dun DUN!


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#41 2017-07-11 07:45:48

Outsider
Pilgrim
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2008-04-29
Posts: 177
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

If Pasevalles was behind the Sitha Tanahaya's attack, why did he just stop at making the arrows disappear? Wouldn't he have tried to finish her off for good? Add some poison to water in small doses, kill her off while she was in a coma. Smother her or something. He had plenty of time.

I have a feeling that what he is doing, he's going about it the wrong way but he's doing it in the interests of the kingdom, at least he thinks so.


"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire
"Bring back meat, we are not Zida'ya, to live on flowers and bee's milk." -- Kemme

Follow me on Twitter

 

#42 2017-08-01 00:53:05

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23107
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Outsider wrote:

If Pasevalles was behind the Sitha Tanahaya's attack, why did he just stop at making the arrows disappear? Wouldn't he have tried to finish her off for good? Add some poison to water in small doses, kill her off while she was in a coma. Smother her or something. He had plenty of time.

Weren't there maids watching over her? Sending them away and then smothering her would seem suspicious.

I have a feeling that what he is doing, he's going about it the wrong way but he's doing it in the interests of the kingdom, at least he thinks so.

He should know killing Idela won't stabilize the monarchy. In fact, it will likely cause much harm. Her father doesn't strike me as very nice, and he could cause the king and queen all sorts of problems.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#43 2017-08-01 01:19:20

ajl3
Pilgrim
Registered: 2017-02-14
Posts: 360

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Outsider wrote:

If Pasevalles was behind the Sitha Tanahaya's attack, why did he just stop at making the arrows disappear? Wouldn't he have tried to finish her off for good? Add some poison to water in small doses, kill her off while she was in a coma. Smother her or something. He had plenty of time.

Weren't there maids watching over her? Sending them away and then smothering her would seem suspicious.

I have a feeling that what he is doing, he's going about it the wrong way but he's doing it in the interests of the kingdom, at least he thinks so.

He should know killing Idela won't stabilize the monarchy. In fact, it will likely cause much harm. Her father doesn't strike me as very nice, and he could cause the king and queen all sorts of problems.

The poison point still stands, which is one I made in TWC discussion: I do think Passavelles at least snatched the arrows and is likely involved in the attack (he's too suspiciously interested in finding out if she says anything, exactly when she wakes, etc.) but why not kill her?

The maids, at first, are even shown to be not on the ball with watching her and go to flirt with a guard. Smothering her would be suspicious, I agree, but this poison they hit her with, no one knows what it is, not even Sithi (though that bit at the end sounds like they might still be checking into it? still, the best Sithi healers look at it and need to take a lot of time to figure it out, that tells you something right there). Putting more poison in her should be easy and no one would be able to tell that it wasn't just the original dose.

That's why I think it's likely that they want the Sithi alive for whatever reason. Be it the Sithi Traitor theory I came up with, or needing to put them on the Road of Dreams, or so they can torture them later.

 

#44 2017-08-01 02:50:34

Diorna
Pilgrim
Registered: 2017-07-26
Posts: 130

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

He should know killing Idela won't stabilize the monarchy. In fact, it will likely cause much harm. Her father doesn't strike me as very nice, and he could cause the king and queen all sorts of problems.

I agree, that Duke Osric will reveal himself as a very very bad person. It was him, who let a little animal drown (a rat?), even though his granddaughter was asking him to help. That was a characterization that stuck with me.

Vorzheva is still my least favourite person of all the books. (Blood and fire, you madwoman, after sitting around for 25 years, yeah, right! Good idea.) But there is nothing new about that. I just don't like her.
In this trilogy for now it is Makho. Whipping and raping and being arrogant is just too much at once. Followed closely by Odrig. Killing his sweet sister for what, being in love with a guy he doesn't like? Evil.

 

#45 2017-08-01 05:27:17

xavie
Pilgrim
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2006-01-22
Posts: 1566
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

I'd go with Morgan as well.
Yes, there are many worse characters in the book but they don't have their own POV, so I don't feel obliged to understand or even like them. They are villains or obstacles, they don't bother me. But Morgan! *rolls eyes hard*
I agree that he has an excuse for being so annoying, and both his mother and his grandparents have a lot to answer for. I guess it's also true that he is a lot like Simon was, except that he has some responsibility and expectations to live up to, while Simon was ... yeah, also avoiding his responsibilities, that's true; still, being expected to rule a kingdom or to clean Dr. Morgenes' floor are not quite the same. Additionally, I read MST when I was a teenager myself and was probably not as aware of just how annoyingly immature Simon and Miriamele were being...

I'm also annoyed by Lillia, but more by the way she is written. She sounds to me not like a ten-year-old, but like a much younger child. A bit like Christabel.

 

#46 2017-08-01 08:00:20

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23107
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Diorna wrote:

I agree, that Duke Osric will reveal himself as a very very bad person. It was him, who let a little animal drown (a rat?), even though his granddaughter was asking him to help. That was a characterization that stuck with me.

That scene was a bit like the Pryrates dog scene.

Vorzheva is still my least favourite person of all the books. (Blood and fire, you madwoman, after sitting around for 25 years, yeah, right! Good idea.) But there is nothing new about that. I just don't like her.
In this trilogy for now it is Makho. Whipping and raping and being arrogant is just too much at once. Followed closely by Odrig. Killing his sweet sister for what, being in love with a guy he doesn't like? Evil.

Yeah, Odrig and Makho are just evil and awful.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#47 2017-08-01 08:01:08

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23107
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

xavie wrote:

I'm also annoyed by Lillia, but more by the way she is written. She sounds to me not like a ten-year-old, but like a much younger child. A bit like Christabel.

I know Ylvs said the same thing.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#48 2017-08-01 09:09:57

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13269

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

xavie wrote:

I'm also annoyed by Lillia, but more by the way she is written. She sounds to me not like a ten-year-old, but like a much younger child. A bit like Christabel.

I know Ylvs said the same thing.

Yes I did. Still do (although it is not as bad as it used to be).


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#49 2017-08-01 10:34:31

RS
Pilgrim
Registered: 2016-10-11
Posts: 72

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

I will stick with Makho. An arrogant idiot doubled with a raper and a sadist. What more does one need ?

One could add Odrig, but thankfully he is dead.

Pasevalles is in a completely different category. I still do not understand what is going on with him. He may turn out to be an arch-villain but ... ???

 

#50 2017-08-01 12:54:13

Outsider
Pilgrim
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2008-04-29
Posts: 177
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

ajl3 wrote:

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Outsider wrote:

If Pasevalles was behind the Sitha Tanahaya's attack, why did he just stop at making the arrows disappear? Wouldn't he have tried to finish her off for good? Add some poison to water in small doses, kill her off while she was in a coma. Smother her or something. He had plenty of time.

Weren't there maids watching over her? Sending them away and then smothering her would seem suspicious.

I have a feeling that what he is doing, he's going about it the wrong way but he's doing it in the interests of the kingdom, at least he thinks so.

He should know killing Idela won't stabilize the monarchy. In fact, it will likely cause much harm. Her father doesn't strike me as very nice, and he could cause the king and queen all sorts of problems.

The poison point still stands, which is one I made in TWC discussion: I do think Passavelles at least snatched the arrows and is likely involved in the attack (he's too suspiciously interested in finding out if she says anything, exactly when she wakes, etc.) but why not kill her?

The maids, at first, are even shown to be not on the ball with watching her and go to flirt with a guard. Smothering her would be suspicious, I agree, but this poison they hit her with, no one knows what it is, not even Sithi (though that bit at the end sounds like they might still be checking into it? still, the best Sithi healers look at it and need to take a lot of time to figure it out, that tells you something right there). Putting more poison in her should be easy and no one would be able to tell that it wasn't just the original dose.

That's why I think it's likely that they want the Sithi alive for whatever reason. Be it the Sithi Traitor theory I came up with, or needing to put them on the Road of Dreams, or so they can torture them later.

Passavalles is working with Khendraja'aro to sabotage any mortal/Sithi cooperation behind Jiriki/Simon's back. Not exactly allies but benefitting their own ends? Khendraja'aro wouldn't want Tanahaya killed if it could in any way avoid it so Passavalles is obliging. In exchange Passavalles gets something undisclosed.


"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire
"Bring back meat, we are not Zida'ya, to live on flowers and bee's milk." -- Kemme

Follow me on Twitter

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB