Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.


You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-03 20:05:51

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23107
Website

TWC - least-favourite new characters

By popular demand.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#2 2017-07-03 20:42:24

Outsider
Pilgrim
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2008-04-29
Posts: 177
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

King Hugh and his lady-friend, Tylleth.

Then Makho. He's an evil bastard. I would say his buddy Kemme, too, but Kemme is just a dumb jock-bully type.

Last edited by Outsider (2017-07-03 20:42:57)


"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire
"Bring back meat, we are not Zida'ya, to live on flowers and bee's milk." -- Kemme

Follow me on Twitter

 

#3 2017-07-04 01:25:56

Kenan
Pilgrim
From: Gothenburg, Sweden
Registered: 2005-06-19
Posts: 8754
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Morgan?


Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

 

#4 2017-07-04 02:07:58

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13269

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Definetly Makho. Despicable git.


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#5 2017-07-04 03:11:14

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23107
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

My least favorites are Makho (a very dumb Norn) and Morgan (a very bratty kid).


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#6 2017-07-04 15:32:00

Pretzalz
Pilgrim
From: USA
Registered: 2001-06-02
Posts: 2256

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

I sided with Morgan in most of his fights with his parents. There were times when it seemed like Miri thought it was harder on her losing her son than Morgan losing his father. Least favorite would have to be some of the non-Unver Thrithingsfolk. Either Drojan or Unver's step-dad Zhakar.


Jane: Ohh, you are trying to deal with your loneliness by surrounding yourself with friends, hmm, how's that going to work?

 

#7 2017-07-04 20:24:38

ajl3
Pilgrim
Registered: 2017-02-14
Posts: 360

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

While it's tempting to say Makho, he's actually a great character in that I want to see him die horribly ASAP - a villain that's fun to hate and whose eventual comeuppance should be satisfying beyond belief.

 

#8 2017-07-04 22:41:30

Ad1tu
Pilgrim
From: Buffysadharc
Registered: 2004-02-22
Posts: 6331

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Thanks, Firs! :)

Ok, so now that I'm all the way through, I'm still waffling on Morgan. I was really glad that he got pulled into the mission to find the Sithi with Eolair, because I was thinking that is just what he needs! To get out into the world and experience stuff! It worked with Simon, it's gotta work with him, right? He has had a very rough life, with his father dying (and that whole thing with JJ wishing Lillia would be born dead! What's up with that??) and being sheltered by Miri, and Simon to an extent.

I definitely don't like Kemme. He's just a jerk, there isn't much too him, and I'm really glad he gets eaten.

But all the other Norns (and half-Norns) are all pretty interesting. I'm really interested in Saomeji. He's referred to as Ahkenabi's favorite (by Mahko?) so I wonder what all he really knows, since Ahkenabi helped engineer the rock-slide business in HOWWL. And I kinda love Ahkenabi, since I'm on the subject. He's creepy and subtle and creepy!

Also, Pasevalles. He's a jerk. He's got depth, and an interesting story, but he's the love-to-hate character, or going to be.


If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

 

#9 2017-07-04 23:54:23

ajl3
Pilgrim
Registered: 2017-02-14
Posts: 360

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Ad1tu wrote:

Thanks, Firs! :)

Ok, so now that I'm all the way through, I'm still waffling on Morgan. I was really glad that he got pulled into the mission to find the Sithi with Eolair, because I was thinking that is just what he needs! To get out into the world and experience stuff! It worked with Simon, it's gotta work with him, right? He has had a very rough life, with his father dying (and that whole thing with JJ wishing Lillia would be born dead! What's up with that??) and being sheltered by Miri, and Simon to an extent.

I definitely don't like Kemme. He's just a jerk, there isn't much too him, and I'm really glad he gets eaten.

But all the other Norns (and half-Norns) are all pretty interesting. I'm really interested in Saomeji. He's referred to as Ahkenabi's favorite (by Mahko?) so I wonder what all he really knows, since Ahkenabi helped engineer the rock-slide business in HOWWL. And I kinda love Ahkenabi, since I'm on the subject. He's creepy and subtle and creepy!

Also, Pasevalles. He's a jerk. He's got depth, and an interesting story, but he's the love-to-hate character, or going to be.

I'm glad that Morgan ended the book ready to go into Tad's favorite training from hell situation: lost in a forest. Barrick from Shadowmarch was easily more annoying to me in Vol. 1+the first half of Vol. 2, but eventually became a favorite (going totally insane helped.) Hopefully Morgan can do the same.

 

#10 2017-07-05 08:37:12

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23107
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

ajl3 wrote:

I'm glad that Morgan ended the book ready to go into Tad's favorite training from hell situation: lost in a forest. Barrick from Shadowmarch was easily more annoying to me in Vol. 1+the first half of Vol. 2, but eventually became a favorite (going totally insane helped.) Hopefully Morgan can do the same.

Yes. Let's hope being lost in the forest will be a character builder for him.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#11 2017-07-05 08:40:45

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23107
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Ad1tu wrote:

Thanks, Firs! :)

Ok, so now that I'm all the way through, I'm still waffling on Morgan. I was really glad that he got pulled into the mission to find the Sithi with Eolair, because I was thinking that is just what he needs! To get out into the world and experience stuff! It worked with Simon, it's gotta work with him, right?

Well, Simon was never the self-absorbed, snotty little brat that Morgan is. Yes, he did a few bad things (like forging a document), but he never treated people like crap, or failed to show up at a funeral.

As Ajl3 says, Barrick is a better analogy for Morgan.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#12 2017-07-05 08:54:47

Outsider
Pilgrim
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2008-04-29
Posts: 177
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

ajl3 wrote:

While it's tempting to say Makho, he's actually a great character in that I want to see him die horribly ASAP - a villain that's fun to hate and whose eventual comeuppance should be satisfying beyond belief.

SPOILERS, I WARN YOU, SPOILERS
SPOILERS, I WARN YOU, SPOILERS
SPOILERS, I WARN YOU, SPOILERS




Agreed, but is he really dead? Like, dead dead?

He got doused in dragon's blood, sure, and it burned horribly (couldn't have happened to a nicer guy) but didn't Hakatri also suffer that same fate and he lived on for years and years.

Last edited by Outsider (2017-07-05 08:55:11)


"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire
"Bring back meat, we are not Zida'ya, to live on flowers and bee's milk." -- Kemme

Follow me on Twitter

 

#13 2017-07-05 09:25:49

Daughter of Lluth
Pilgrim
Registered: 2017-07-05
Posts: 24

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Lillia. You'd think that after Morgan they'd have tried a bit harder not to raise another brat.

Although I actually have quite a bit of sympathy for Morgan, he's even maligned on the blurb. If he'd just *talk* instead of moping everyone would get along better.

 

#14 2017-07-05 11:03:30

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23107
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Daughter of Lluth wrote:

Lillia. You'd think that after Morgan they'd have tried a bit harder not to raise another brat.

But Lillia's a young child, and she certainly doesn't treat people badly.

Although I actually have quite a bit of sympathy for Morgan, he's even maligned on the blurb.

*shrugs* A wastrel's a wastrel.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#15 2017-07-05 13:29:40

ajl3
Pilgrim
Registered: 2017-02-14
Posts: 360

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Outsider wrote:

ajl3 wrote:

While it's tempting to say Makho, he's actually a great character in that I want to see him die horribly ASAP - a villain that's fun to hate and whose eventual comeuppance should be satisfying beyond belief.

SPOILERS, I WARN YOU, SPOILERS
SPOILERS, I WARN YOU, SPOILERS
SPOILERS, I WARN YOU, SPOILERS




Agreed, but is he really dead? Like, dead dead?

He got doused in dragon's blood, sure, and it burned horribly (couldn't have happened to a nicer guy) but didn't Hakatri also suffer that same fate and he lived on for years and years.

I don't think he's dead at all - I would be shocked if he doesn't die from getting into a fight with Nezeru and/or Jarnulf, either one of which could be a fantastic fight scene. Though I'm not sure how well he will fight with half of his face burnt off, the dragon's blood could make him lose it totally and just fly into a rage. Part of Nezeru's character arc will probably be either killing him or not lifting a hand to help him.

 

#16 2017-07-05 13:35:32

Daughter of Lluth
Pilgrim
Registered: 2017-07-05
Posts: 24

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Daughter of Lluth wrote:

Lillia. You'd think that after Morgan they'd have tried a bit harder not to raise another brat.

But Lillia's a young child, and she certainly doesn't treat people badly.

Although I actually have quite a bit of sympathy for Morgan, he's even maligned on the blurb.

*shrugs* A wastrel's a wastrel.

Exactly, Lillia's a small child who's already telling the adults around her that they have to do what she says because she's a princess. What's she going to be like when she's an adult?

The blurb saying Morgan's a wastrel made me think of a totally different type of character to how he turned out. I was surprised how much sympathy I had for him. His actions are that of a wastrel, but not (most of) his thoughts. Most 17 year olds go out getting drunk, it doesn't make them wastrels, which to me means a total no-hoper.

 

#17 2017-07-05 13:39:19

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23107
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Daughter of Lluth wrote:

Lillia's a small child who's already telling the adults around her that they have to do what she says because she's a princess. What's she going to be like when she's an adult?

This seemed to me something like something a young kid would do; perfectly normal behavior from a kid. Not all all like the crap Wastrel Morgan pulls.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#18 2017-07-05 13:55:25

Daughter of Lluth
Pilgrim
Registered: 2017-07-05
Posts: 24

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Daughter of Lluth wrote:

Lillia's a small child who's already telling the adults around her that they have to do what she says because she's a princess. What's she going to be like when she's an adult?

This seemed to me something like something a young kid would do; perfectly normal behavior from a kid. Not all all like the crap Wastrel Morgan pulls.

I don't have much experience with young kids (probably for the best lol).

 

#19 2017-07-05 14:20:32

Outsider
Pilgrim
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2008-04-29
Posts: 177
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Daughter of Lluth wrote:

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Daughter of Lluth wrote:

Lillia's a small child who's already telling the adults around her that they have to do what she says because she's a princess. What's she going to be like when she's an adult?

This seemed to me something like something a young kid would do; perfectly normal behavior from a kid. Not all all like the crap Wastrel Morgan pulls.

I don't have much experience with young kids (probably for the best lol).

I do, and let me tell you, the best thing you can do to a child like that is to drop her off in a forest and let them make their own way. Worked for Simon.


"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire
"Bring back meat, we are not Zida'ya, to live on flowers and bee's milk." -- Kemme

Follow me on Twitter

 

#20 2017-07-06 03:25:31

RS
Pilgrim
Registered: 2016-10-11
Posts: 72

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

OK I've only gotten as far as the beginning of Chap. 14, but here are my two centimes,

The obvious : Akhenabi and Makho.  Then maybe Hugh as the obvious traitor to be.

 

#21 2017-07-06 12:06:21

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23107
Website

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Outsider wrote:

I do, and let me tell you, the best thing you can do to a child like that is to drop her off in a forest and let them make their own way. Worked for Simon.

Why do people keep saying "it worked for Simon"? Simon wasn't a brat; just naive and soft. He rescued Josua before ever journeying into the forest. He rescued Jiriki after being in the forest for just two weeks. Not one, but two, princes rescued while he was still a soft, young kid. And a princess rescued a few weeks later, though admittedly he had a lot of help on the first and third rescues.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#22 2017-07-06 16:24:11

Ad1tu
Pilgrim
From: Buffysadharc
Registered: 2004-02-22
Posts: 6331

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

I dunno. Simon wasn't spoiled by any measure, but I don't think Rachel was ever as harsh to him as she might have been to others. And c'mon, climbing Hjeldin's Tower is TOTALLY something Simon would have done.

Besides, Morgan is this trilogy's Simon. It's a young man's coming of age story.


If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

 

#23 2017-07-07 09:34:00

RS
Pilgrim
Registered: 2016-10-11
Posts: 72

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Many people seem to be complaining about Morgan but I find Lillia far, far worse (OK I am only up to Chap. 18).

 

#24 2017-07-07 10:01:58

Daughter of Lluth
Pilgrim
Registered: 2017-07-05
Posts: 24

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

RS wrote:

Many people seem to be complaining about Morgan but I find Lillia far, far worse (OK I am only up to Chap. 18).

So glad it's not just me!

I think part of my problem with her is that in this book she doesn't really have an arc of her own. She's purely there to overhear/see things so we find out things we wouldn't otherwise know.

Hopefully that'll change next book, there is one hint it might.

 

#25 2017-07-07 12:00:39

chamberk
Pilgrim
From: Georgia
Registered: 2001-12-29
Posts: 3228

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

I feel like Morgan won't be spending too much time in the forest alone - Binabik and Little Snenneq have to be around somewhere close, right?


"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."  - Bob Dylan

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB