Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-07-03 18:48:14

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Re: TWC - favourite new characters

Can we have a least favorite character thread, too? I'm really, really struggling to like Morgan. I get it, he's growing, he's been isolated and protected, he's a teenager, of course he's going to be surly. But oh my. Actually I think I dislike his "friends" Astrian and Olveris more. They are just a bad influence.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#27 2017-07-03 19:03:53

ajl3
Pilgrim

I actually don't mind Morgan, considering he has PTSD-like symptoms and seems to have a good heart (the way he acts with his sister, about to jump in during the bar fight while his friends just watch, etc.) but yes, his "friends" are not a good influence on him. He's also not my favorite, but I could see him improving as we find out more about his time as a kid and he grows up.

#28 2017-07-03 20:06:56

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

Can we have a least favorite character thread, too?

Done and done!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#29 2017-07-03 20:35:19

Outsider
Pilgrim
Website

ajl3 wrote:

There's honestly a lot more new characters I like than not, so it was a hard pick.

Though I would say if Gom Garr had a POV he might snatch it for me: almost every line he has had has made me chuckle, and his bit about his family was genuinely sad.

I forgot about him! He's a close second because he's more complicated than i thought at first glance

"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire
"Bring back meat, we are not Zida'ya, to live on flowers and bee's milk." -- Kemme

Follow me on Twitter

#30 2017-07-05 09:38:19

Daughter of Lluth
Pilgrim

I was Team Little Snenneq right up until he agreed to keep Morgan's secret. He's Binabik's apprentice, he should know what a monumentally bad idea that was.

I'm not sure I have a favourite new character, most are ones to watch - a few could be love or hate depending on their next actions. I'm thinking of Nezeru, Jarnulf, Unvar... Hopefully Jesu will have a bigger role too.

#31 2017-07-05 09:51:23

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Daughter of Lluth wrote:

I was Team Little Snenneq right up until he agreed to keep Morgan's secret. He's Binabik's apprentice, he should know what a monumentally bad idea that was.

Indeed. Welcome, Daughter of Lluth! Thanks for coming out from the Taig to come visit us! :)

I'm not sure I have a favourite new character, most are ones to watch - a few could be love or hate depending on their next actions. I'm thinking of Nezeru, Jarnulf, Unvar... Hopefully Jesu will have a bigger role too.

No favorites, yet?

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#32 2017-07-05 09:57:47

Daughter of Lluth
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Daughter of Lluth wrote:

Indeed. Welcome, Daughter of Lluth! Thanks for coming out from the Taig to come visit us! :)

No favorites, yet?

I don't think so, but I only finished reading it four hours ago! I think it needs to settle in my mind for a bit. At the moment I'm too distracted by saying hello (and goodbye) to old friends to think about meeting strangers.

#33 2017-07-06 03:27:50

RS
Pilgrim

Up to Chap. 14 : Nezeru, Jarnulf and possibly Viyeki (we will see how he evolves).

#34 2017-07-06 11:57:55

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

More votes for Nezeru and Jarnulf!

#35 2017-07-10 06:08:43

pixiejen
Pilgrim
Website

After ruminating for a couple days after finishing, I have to say Jarnulf - mostly because I always really like the survivor-type/solitary badass.  Every time.  I am not sure I like his fervor of faith behind his hatred of the Norns, but yeah the Norns are fucked up - I'm with Jarnulf on his angle.  BUT at the same time, Nezeru challenging his perceptions is awesome, and I think there is going to be a lot of thick, good story there - with some knotty choices.  He is doing the same for her.  It's a great bit of story, that arc.

I am (not really) sorry to say that I actually like Morgan quite a lot.  I see Simon all over him and as someone else said in the "least favorite" thread - he is Simon if Simon had been brought up a Prince.  Spot on, that. His POV chapters are my favorite of the new characters by far.  He is vastly more complex a character than most of the others and I cannot wait to see where he goes.  Senneq and Qina are charming and I hope they find Morgan again in Aldehorte.

I know they aren't new but - can we just have a little moment to enjoy Simon and Miri as married adults?  LOVE it so much.  Miri is kinda a bitch though :p. But she always kinda was, right?  I still love it :)

Thirdly, and I may rue this because I am uncertain about his motives, I like Pasevalles.  He's mercurial and smart as hell.  I want to say he's on the High Ward's side, I feel like he just has ambition.  But whoa, whoa - who knows, time will tell with this one and his story has me most tied up in knots.

Every damn storyline ended on a cliffhanger.  Murderous!! haha

"When the windows of perception are cleansed, man will see the universe as it truly is - infinite."

-W. Blake.

pixiejen.com

#36 2017-07-10 07:28:29

Daughter of Lluth
Pilgrim

I think I've finally decided, or at least got it down to two.

Tzoja, because even after everything she's been through she hasn't lost her spirit, she's still trying to escape. It also gives a new perspective on the Norns and lets us find out more about them in 'normal' life.

Overall though it's Morgan. I think I resisted because it's too obvious for the protagonist to be your favourite, and wanted to come up with more of a 'cool' choice. But I fet so sorry for him throughout, still just a kid who hasn't got over his dad's death, is still having nightmares about him, and who didn't seem to have anyone who cares about him for himself, rather than for his position. Simon and Miri never had the chance to be grandparents to him, they were by turns trapped by worry about the crown or overwhemed by their own grief.

#37 2017-07-10 21:11:59

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Nerahla wrote:

After ruminating for a couple days after finishing, I have to say Jarnulf - mostly because I always really like the survivor-type/solitary badass.  Every time.  I am not sure I like his fervor of faith behind his hatred of the Norns, but yeah the Norns are fucked up - I'm with Jarnulf on his angle.  BUT at the same time, Nezeru challenging his perceptions is awesome, and I think there is going to be a lot of thick, good story there - with some knotty choices.  He is doing the same for her.  It's a great bit of story, that arc.

I definitely agree that Jarnulf is one of the better new characters. I like the Jarnulf/Nezeru scenes.

I am (not really) sorry to say that I actually like Morgan quite a lot.  I see Simon all over him and as someone else said in the "least favorite" thread - he is Simon if Simon had been brought up a Prince.

Simon rescues three members of royalty within a few weeks of traveling through the forest. Morgan can't even bring himself to be civil.

I know they aren't new but - can we just have a little moment to enjoy Simon and Miri as married adults?  LOVE it so much.  Miri is kinda a bitch though :p. But she always kinda was, right?  I still love it :)

The scene that really irked me was when she purposely broke Binabik's dreamcatcher. They were making progress! And that wasn't even her property!

Every damn storyline ended on a cliffhanger.  Murderous!! haha

At least we only have a couple more years to wait...

#38 2017-07-10 21:13:21

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Daughter of Lluth wrote:

I think I've finally decided, or at least got it down to two.

Tzoja, because even after everything she's been through she hasn't lost her spirit, she's still trying to escape. It also gives a new perspective on the Norns and lets us find out more about them in 'normal' life.

I definitely agree with Tzoja, and for some of the same reasons you mentioned.

#39 2017-07-18 14:26:21

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

No other votes, then?

Then Nezeru and Jarnulf win, with five votes each.

#40 2017-07-18 16:09:54

ajl3
Pilgrim

Who is everyone's favorite minor characters? I enjoyed the two Builder back door guards in their short appearance. The one always needing cheering up and both trying to determine who and where they need to fight made me chuckle and I hope they get a few more minor appearances.

#41 2017-07-18 19:08:40

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Hmm, minor characters? How minor is minor? I liked Aelin, does he count? Also, the dragon. I like envisioning the disdain on Tzoja's guards in her first appearance, when they have to follow her around and then carry her purchases back into Nakkiga. Oh, and the corpse-giant!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#42 2017-07-19 15:44:27

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ajl3 wrote:

Who is everyone's favorite minor characters? I enjoyed the two Builder back door guards in their short appearance. The one always needing cheering up and both trying to determine who and where they need to fight made me chuckle and I hope they get a few more minor appearances.

I like Liza the "lady of the night", the strange one.

#43 2017-07-19 15:54:34

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

I like envisioning the disdain on Tzoja's guards in her first appearance, when they have to follow her around and then carry her purchases back into Nakkiga.

Haha! Yeah, that's great!

#44 2017-08-02 14:45:23

Merenwen
Pilgrim

No other votes, then?

Now that I have finished the book, I would go with those two as well. Nezeru alone is quite interesting, and I really liked the scenes between her and Jarnulf.

(Although I must admit, I also loved Jarnulf's interactions with Makho :D)

#45 2017-08-02 22:18:44

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Merenwen wrote:

No other votes, then?

Now that I have finished the book, I would go with those two as well. Nezeru alone is quite interesting, and I really liked the scenes between her and Jarnulf.

Merenwen! Yay! Welcome to the book-finishers' club! :) :) :)

Yeah, I also find Nezeru interesting, and I want to know more about Jarnulf.

#46 2017-08-03 01:26:33

Diorna
Pilgrim

I really like Qina and how she handles her clever clogs. :D

#47 2017-08-03 07:22:51

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Diorna wrote:

I really like Qina and how she handles her clever clogs. :D

So, a second vote for Qina!

#48 2017-08-03 13:13:29

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Merenwen wrote:

No other votes, then?

Merenwen! Yay! Welcome to the book-finishers' club! :) :) :)

Yeah, I also find Nezeru interesting, and I want to know more about Jarnulf.

I am happy that I am finally able to read the discussion threads here. :) There is a lot to catch up on.

I had to laugh about your sig, Firs. :D But I must say, to me these Norn characters are more interesting than creepy or horrifying, especially Ommu and Saomeji. I wonder what is going on with Jijibo, though. To be honest, if I want to call someone creepy, it is this guy.

#49 2017-08-03 20:00:04

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Merenwen wrote:

I had to laugh about your sig, Firs. :D But I must say, to me these Norn characters are more interesting than creepy or horrifying, especially Ommu and Saomeji. I wonder what is going on with Jijibo, though. To be honest, if I want to call someone creepy, it is this guy.

Oh, I agree. Jijibo is creepy. I find Saomeji quite nice, especially in comparison to Nezeru's other Hand-members.

#50 2017-08-03 20:54:54

ajl3
Pilgrim

Merenwen wrote:

Oh, I agree. Jijibo is creepy. I find Saomeji quite nice, especially in comparison to Nezeru's other Hand-members.

I was honestly wondering what Saomeji's "deal" is: he's definitely far nicer (and practical) than Makho or Kemme (he's the one that wants to give Nezeru the healing ointment, calms Makho down over Jarnwulf, etc. etc.) but he is a singer. So will he be a bad guy, good guy, or true neutral?

Jijibo: faking it or not? He reminds me of the Autarch's second in command (forget the name) from Shadowmarch, who is faking being mentally handicap as well as physically handicapped to avoid being murdered.

Board footer