Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-28 16:04:44

ylvs
Mantis

TWC - favourite new characters

Let's play:

On reddit Firs said Nezeru, Brother Etan and Tzoja.

I said Little Snenneq, Jesa and Unver.

What say you?

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#2 2017-06-28 16:13:01

Ostrael Firsfronson
Pilgrim

Re: TWC - favourite new characters

Nezeru, Brother Etan, Jarnulf, and Tzoja!

#3 2017-06-28 16:33:47

ylvs
Mantis

Hey, one never can have four.

*pouts*

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#4 2017-06-28 23:29:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Jesa!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#5 2017-06-29 01:13:55

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Nezeru and Jarnulf. Unver has plenty of time to grow on me though...

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#6 2017-06-29 05:47:42

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Does Viyeki count? He's only kinda new, since we saw him in tHoWWL.

I also am interested in Nezeru.

(I'm only through chapter 8.)

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#7 2017-06-29 06:10:43

pennywit
Pilgrim

Pasavelles.

#8 2017-06-29 06:38:18

ylvs
Mantis

Ad1tu wrote:

Does Viyeki count? He's only kinda new, since we saw him in tHoWWL.

Everybody who was not in MS&T does count for me.

I'm only through chapter 8.

Did you cry? I did. That was the moment I was completly and utterly sold.

Scrollbearer

#9 2017-06-29 08:37:39

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Hey, one never can have four.

*pouts*

I can't have four? Fine, then. I'll add Alva! I feel like I already know her anyway...

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#10 2017-06-29 09:00:59

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

ylvs wrote:

It was reallyyyyyyy close, which is impressive, since books in general don't usually make me cry.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#11 2017-06-30 17:27:31

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Anyone else voting? Or shall we say Nezeru wins?

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#12 2017-06-30 21:10:45

cyan
Mantis

Ad1tu wrote:

ylvs wrote:

It was reallyyyyyyy close, which is impressive, since books in general don't usually make me cry.

I cried twice during this chapter, at the beginning and at the end.  I'd happily pay full price for the book just for this chapter.

Also: I'm all TEAM LITTLE SNENNEQ over here!  \m/

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#13 2017-06-30 21:26:14

Jeremy_Erman
Pilgrim

Based on the first half of the book, I'm voting for Thelía. She's been quietly awesome so far. And Tiamak's line about how she could poison him five times over at breakfast from her garden is priceless.

#14 2017-06-30 21:26:51

ajl3
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Anyone else voting? Or shall we say Nezeru wins?

Nezerules.

In all seriousness, I liked all three of the "Norn" characters due to how they interact with each other despite some of them not being present or across vast distances. It makes them stand out because we can get development for one via another character.

#15 2017-06-30 22:06:36

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Jeremy_Erman wrote:

Based on the first half of the book, I'm voting for Thelía. She's been quietly awesome so far. And Tiamak's line about how she could poison him five times over at breakfast from her garden is priceless.

Haha! Good point!

#16 2017-06-30 22:09:56

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ajl3 wrote:

Nezerules.

Yay! Another vote for Nezeru!

In all seriousness, I liked all three of the "Norn" characters due to how they interact with each other despite some of them not being present or across vast distances. It makes them stand out because we can get development for one via another character.

You are talking about Viyeki and Saomeji? Just want to make sure the tallying is correct.

#17 2017-06-30 22:22:19

cyan
Mantis

I don't like Saomeji at all.  While I suspect he will be an important character as the series goes on, right now he just comes across as creepy.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer

#18 2017-06-30 22:26:37

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

cyan wrote:

I don't like Saomeji at all.  While I suspect he will be an important character as the series goes on, right now he just comes across as creepy.

Akhenabi wears a mask made from human flesh. Many characters plot the death of all mankind. Several characters are mass murderers. But Saomeji is creepy? ;)

#19 2017-06-30 22:40:16

cyan
Mantis

cyan wrote:

Akhenabi wears a mask made from human flesh. Many characters plot the death of all mankind. Several characters are mass murderers. But Saomeji is creepy? ;)

To be clear: Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy.

Scrollbearer

#20 2017-06-30 23:00:14

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Hahahahaha!

I have just found my new signature!

#21 2017-06-30 23:45:50

ajl3
Pilgrim

ajl3 wrote:

Nezerules.

Yay! Another vote for Nezeru!

You are talking about Viyeki and Saomeji? Just want to make sure the tallying is correct.

I actually mean Viyeki and Tsoja (hence the quotation marks.) Saomeji hasn't had a POV yet, though I'm sure that would be a pretty interesting one to read.

#22 2017-06-30 23:56:20

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Yeah, I was trying to think of another Norn POV character, and couldn't. Saomeji seemed like the best option. I didn't even consider Tzoja, since it's clear she's no Norn.

#23 2017-07-03 10:08:39

Outsider
Pilgrim
Website

Put me down for Jarnulf. I think he'll have an interesting story.

"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire
"Bring back meat, we are not Zida'ya, to live on flowers and bee's milk." -- Kemme

Follow me on Twitter

#24 2017-07-03 15:56:48

Ostrael Firsfronson
Pilgrim

So far, Nezeru and Jarnulf are in the lead with three votes each. Tzoja, Little Snenneq, Jesa, and Viyeki tie for second; Alva, Etan, Thalia, Pasevalles, and Unver trail behind.

Last edited by Ostrael Firsfronson (2017-07-03 15:57:56)

#25 2017-07-03 16:30:14

ajl3
Pilgrim

There's honestly a lot more new characters I like than not, so it was a hard pick.

Though I would say if Gom Garr had a POV he might snatch it for me: almost every line he has had has made me chuckle, and his bit about his family was genuinely sad.

Last edited by ajl3 (2017-07-03 16:30:33)

Board footer