Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-06-19 15:23:53

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: QM - the Master Gardener's garden

*hands Magpie some basting sauce*

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#52 2017-06-19 15:38:03

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I'm getting so much more done now that I don't constantly think "I should be studying instead" - and then procrastinate because I don't want to do that either.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#53 2017-06-19 15:54:51

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Merenwen wrote:

Oh, I had a most excellent prospect of sunburned arms and pale beer bellies. :D

Tantalizing!
Somehow they never look like in the coke light advertisement :D

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#54 2017-06-19 15:56:13

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Hmm, Crispy Firsfron and Cooked Magpie. This sounds delicious ;)

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#55 2017-06-19 16:01:47

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Don't eat me! Fried firs cause hairballs! A juicy bird would be much tastier...

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#56 2017-06-19 16:17:27

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

*dribbles into mint*

Hi I'm the Libra-Puddle *desperately wishes for the magical change of name as per old-school*

I had an absolutely horrid night last night.... 7 mosquitoes who played the "I shall come and buzz around your head when you're lying down, but hide when you turn on the light" game

By the time all seven were bravely slain, I had gotten into such a rage and crying fit that sleep completely eluded me and I saw it getting light, heard the birds... and then woke up to scorching breathless weather.... and just couldn't cope... so called in sick.... or at least tried to call in to see if I could work from home and had my manager tell me "You never call in sick, so today you will." But of course work goes on and I still spent half the morning fixing things...

It should be slightly less hot tomorrow... So I prepared my car for tomorrow.... with reflecting things and big towels... as my airconditioning is leaky and that costs more than the value of the car to repair...
Work will be dreadful because the airco is actually turned off in my part of the building... "It has to work so hard to cool down our area, that it breaks.." So while the rest of the building gets to have "cool-ish" air... we get the 40-50 degree one... Seriously considering doing the APAC shift the rest of the week.... (11pm - 7am)...

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#57 2017-06-19 16:26:32

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*tries to hug the Libra-puddle*
*watches the puddle flow through his arms*

Sorry to hear about all those issues... hope you can install mosquito nets soon. So many little things to take care of with a new place. And I hope you get all of the sleep tonight!

#58 2017-06-19 17:00:09

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Ha, speaking of A/C, a coworker reminded me of this today... He had to go to one of our client sites Friday and tell them that we were turning off their A/C. There's construction work going on in the same space, so all the piping in the ceiling is exposed, making it the perfect time to replace it. ... Except it's the hottest it's been all year, so they got to be all melty.

In other news, today was freaking lonnnnng and frustrating. I had a ton of stuff to do, but most of it relies on other people getting they're $#!* together, which is of course impossible. Then 15 minutes before the end of the day, I get "so btw [coworker] came over and said his contract that we do x, y, and z for is changing for x but not y or z so those things we talked about earlier might be completely moot." You know, those things we spent an hour plus just today talking about, and the hours of brainstorming for the past month. ... Yeah.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#59 2017-06-19 23:35:36

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*sends icy huggles to all*

My office is not exactly cool, but it's definitely not hot either. Back into the fray of finding out basic stuff that should have just been documented but isn't...

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#60 2017-06-19 23:53:14

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I had an idea last night, about the motivation of the villain in one of my story ideas. It appears my stories are coming back at last.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#61 2017-06-20 00:18:04

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Hurray!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#62 2017-06-20 00:39:52

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Just made cucumber water at work. So I won't have to resort to drinking coke in the afternoon to cool down after my lunch walk.

Scrollbearer

#63 2017-06-20 01:47:26

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Magpie wrote:

I had an idea last night, about the motivation of the villain in one of my story ideas. It appears my stories are coming back at last.

Or you are getting better at thinking like a villain ;)

*waves good morning*

#64 2017-06-20 02:25:04

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*waves back*

Scrollbearer

#65 2017-06-20 03:24:09

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*waves*

Well, so much for having something to do today. The server just crashed again and I am not able to to anything until the problem is fixed...

#66 2017-06-20 03:34:39

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Guess you'll have to spend all your time melting and thinking of construction workers with beer bellies :p

#67 2017-06-20 03:35:26

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I expect to do some serious melting myself in the next days. It's supposed to be well above 30 for a while, so my apartment is going to heat up eventually :/

#68 2017-06-20 03:42:32

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Peter wrote:

Guess you'll have to spend all your time melting and thinking of construction workers with beer bellies :p

Haha, I think I can entertain myself with more pleasant views. After all, I still have normal internet access. ;)

As to the heat, today is more bearable. We have 25 degrees and it is not as humid and sticky as yesterday. But according to the weather forecast, temperatures should rise here again the next days, too.

Last edited by Merenwen (2017-06-20 03:43:08)

#69 2017-06-20 03:44:46

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Guess you're lucky it's just your servers that died and not the internet connection.

#70 2017-06-20 03:49:32

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Yes, it is just the intranet. Otherwise I really wouldn't know how to kill the time here.

#71 2017-06-20 04:33:21

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Magpie wrote:

Or you are getting better at thinking like a villain ;)

*waves good morning*

*waves back*

I'm still not entirely sure what she is trying to do, but I know why she does it, at least.

- Tad

#72 2017-06-20 05:07:17

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Today was a much better day for a lunch walk. It was not as hot to begin with, and there was a cool breeze as well.

Scrollbearer

#73 2017-06-20 05:23:25

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Yes, I just came back from my walk as well. It was much better than yesterday.

#74 2017-06-20 05:43:30

Sahi
Mantis
Website

There, my speaker mentoring program has been launched. Let's see how many people will enroll. :) (It's for a specific conference here in the Netherlands.)

Scrollbearer

#75 2017-06-20 06:37:19

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Magpie wrote:

Ooo exciting :)

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

Board footer