Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-05-31 18:57:16

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Re: What was your favorite book as a child?

Auros wrote:

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

The Book is always better than The Movie. That's the rule.

The True Blood TV series is better than the books.  That's the only exception I can name, though.

Presumed Innocent with Harrison Ford was better than the book, at least for me.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#27 2017-06-01 13:15:18

ylvs
Mantis

The first book I remember loving was Where the Wild Things Are.

Me, too!

*high fives*

#28 2017-06-01 13:20:46

ylvs
Mantis

Auros wrote:

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

Got this for Christmas when it was first published. I was nine. Started reading asap after dinner and prezzies on Christmas Eve, fell asleep over it during the night, continued reading all Christmas Day and was done on the morning of Boxing Day. My first binge read ever. Oh, how I loved this book. And how beautiful that first edition was. Red silken cover and printed in read and green. The most beautiful book. I think it's the first book I ever hugged.

#29 2017-06-01 13:22:14

ylvs
Mantis

As a child I was very much into Lidgren as well. Kalle Blomquist and The Brothers Lionheart were my favs. But I read them all time and again.

#30 2017-06-01 13:26:41

ylvs
Mantis

Oh, and a longtime fav was King Matt the First by Janusz Korczak. Thinking about it now some of my core beliefs are prolly rooted in that book.

#31 2017-06-01 14:23:11

Pretzalz
Pilgrim

Auros wrote:

The True Blood TV series is better than the books.  That's the only exception I can name, though.

Princess Bride?

As for kids books, I don't remember reading a lot of them as a kid. I read a lot of Clive Cussler at a fairly young age on a librarian rec. But mostly David Eddings, Feist, and Calvin and Hobbes if I'm allowed to count that.

Jane: Ohh, you are trying to deal with your loneliness by surrounding yourself with friends, hmm, how's that going to work?

#32 2017-06-01 14:51:52

ylvs
Mantis

Princess Bride is a mighty strong contender (much more than Tru Blood, I think. I enjoyed all the books but got bored with the series duringseason2) but still: rule stands for me.

#33 2017-06-01 16:36:14

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

The first book I remember loving was Where the Wild Things Are.

Me, too!

*high fives*

YAY! *high fives back*

Max sailing away over the ocean for a year has stayed with me all these years.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#34 2017-06-01 16:39:49

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Thinking about it now some of my core beliefs are prolly rooted in that book.

We are definitely shaped by what we read, especially as children.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#35 2017-06-01 16:41:09

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Pretzalz wrote:

But mostly David Eddings, Feist, and Calvin and Hobbes if I'm allowed to count that.

Of course Calvin and Hobbes count. That may be the greatest comic strip ever. It's one of my all-time faves, at least.

#36 2017-06-01 19:48:50

PeterJW
Pilgrim

I read almost anything when I was a child. I read military history, Russian history, German history, British history. (some examples of this was reading about Manfred Von Richtofen, The Battle of Leyte Gulf, and John F. Kennedy and the PT 109 when I was nine.)

The military conflicts I was most interested in reading about were World War I, World War II, the American Civil War  the Napoleonic War, The American Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, plus anything else that garnered my interest at any given time.

The Eastern Front was and still is my favorite aspect of World War II, followed by the Pacific Theatre.  I enjoyed reading anything about the Eastern Front as well as  books about the Battle of Midway and other Pacific theatre battles.  I also spent the summer when I was twelve, reading  "Hitler Moves East: 1941-1943" a longish novel covering the Eastern Front from Operation Barbarossa to end of the Battle of Stalingrad.

I also loved reading books regarding Tintin , Peanuts, Hilda Boswell children's books and Richard Scarry.

I also enjoyed reading articles in Reader's Digest and the newspaper, especially the movie listings.

I also read "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" when I was thirteen which introduced me to my love of Fantasy literature.  Of course, the motivation for reading Tolkien and Fantasy in the first place was the prospect of reading Medieval  style battle sequences.

I also enjoyed reading the books I ordered from Scholastic Book Services when I was in elementary school.

I  read comics as well. My favorites being Richie Rich  and various War comics.

So, in short, I loved reading as a child and read anything and everything that appealed to me.

#37 2017-06-01 21:28:41

cyan
Mantis

A Wrinkle in Time, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L’Engle were seminal for me.  These were the books that started my life-long love of fantasy and science fiction.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#38 2017-06-01 21:53:36

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

PeterJW wrote:

I also enjoyed reading articles in Reader's Digest and the newspaper, especially the movie listings.

I liked a lot of those Reader's Digest articles, too. But I didn't love them.

I also enjoyed reading the books I ordered from Scholastic Book Services when I was in elementary school.

Those Scholastic books were great! I didn't realize they had them in Canada, too. I remember getting Mary Shelley's Frankenstein through Scholastic Book Club, and many others.

I  read comics as well. My favorites being Richie Rich

I never cared for Richie Rich. I was more a Scrooge McDuck kind of kid. That money bin!

#39 2017-06-01 21:55:11

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

cyan wrote:

A Wrinkle in Time, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L’Engle were seminal for me.  These were the books that started my life-long love of fantasy and science fiction.

I read them in third/fourth grade, after Oz and Narnia. I had already caught the fantasy bug.

#40 2017-06-02 06:01:14

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

PeterJW wrote:

Those Scholastic books were great! I didn't realize they had them in Canada, too. I remember getting Mary Shelley's Frankenstein through Scholastic Book Club, and many others.

Oh wait, was that the one that came around and set up shelves in the library and you could order out of the catalogue? I think that might be the "book fair" I referenced in my earlier post. I got a fair number of books that way, only a few of which were really memorable.

I did get my very first Calvin & Hobbies book through one of those. I think my dad was more excited about it at first than I was, because I didn't know what the big deal was. Little did I know... My poor C&H books are quite worn out from being re-read so many times as a teenager.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#41 2017-06-02 06:26:45

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I spent a lot of time reading Thomas Brezina's Knickerbocker Gang and Seven Paws for Penny books, and Enid Blyton's Famous Five - as many books as could get my hands on, and also Blyton's Adventure series.

But the ones I read over and over again, that had a lasting effect on me... mostly Wolfsaga by Käthe Recheis. And Ronia the Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren, too.

Looking over at the books I've kept from my childhood, hm, what else did I read a lot? Höhlenkinder ("Cave Children") by A.Th. Sonnleitner, Die Rote Zora (The Outsiders of Uskoken Castle, according to Wikipedia) (that was the one book I literally read to pieces and had to replace), Malu's Wolf by Ruth Craig (haven't read that in ages, but I remember I chose it for my first ever book presentation in school), Homecoming by Cynthia Voight, oh, and Bianca Vampirutschi, which I mostly remember for the ridiculous superstitions the vampires in it have about humans.

And so many Donald Duck/Mickey Mouse comics. Don Rosa's stories in particular, which I fell in love when I was seven and didn't even know there was more than one person writing/drawing the stories.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#42 2017-06-02 07:47:22

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

Oh wait, was that the one that came around and set up shelves in the library and you could order out of the catalogue? I think that might be the "book fair" I referenced in my earlier post. I got a fair number of books that way, only a few of which were really memorable.

Yes, Scholastic did/does book fairs. But I don't think my schools ever hosted them. Instead, the teacher just distributed catalogs to the students, and we just read through the catalogs and ordered what sounded good.

I did get my very first Calvin & Hobbies book through one of those. I think my dad was more excited about it at first than I was, because I didn't know what the big deal was. Little did I know... My poor C&H books are quite worn out from being re-read so many times as a teenager.

Yep! :)

#43 2017-06-02 08:24:34

Sojourn
Pilgrim

On the lighter side I loved Calvin and Hobbes and The Choose Your Own Adventure series.

#44 2017-06-03 15:39:16

PeterJW
Pilgrim

I read Scrooge McDuck comics as well Firsfron.  I liked his money bin too.  I also enjoyed his adventures with Donald and Huey, Dewey, and Louie.  They worked well as a team and the Junior Woodchucks Guide Book always had all the answers!  I actually learned quite a bit of history from those comics and Scrooge McDuck, Donald Duck and Huey, Dewey and Louie were, and still are, my favorite Disney characters.

Actually, Richie Rich and Scrooge McDuck comics were very similar.  They both dealt with extremely wealthy protagonists  and they both had adventures which took them around the planet as well as their respective money storage facilities.

I also agree Ad1tu and Firsfron that those Scholastic Books were great.  The books I ordered dealt with Norwegian children hiding gold from the Germans during World War II, stuff that happened in Canada, the world's greatest mysteries and stories set in deep freeze winter environments, amongst other titles.

#45 2017-06-04 21:06:12

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Sojourn wrote:

On the lighter side I loved Calvin and Hobbes and The Choose Your Own Adventure series.

Oh, I forgot all about the Choose Your Own Adventure books. Those were fun, especially coming to a dead end and having to go back to choose a different path!

#46 2017-06-04 21:09:31

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

PeterJW wrote:

I read Scrooge McDuck comics as well Firsfron.  I liked his money bin too.  I also enjoyed his adventures with Donald and Huey, Dewey, and Louie.  They worked well as a team and the Junior Woodchucks Guide Book always had all the answers!  I actually learned quite a bit of history from those comics and Scrooge McDuck, Donald Duck and Huey, Dewey and Louie were, and still are, my favorite Disney characters.

In 2008, I happened to spot Scrooge McDuck at Disney World, and I had an absolute fanboy reaction.

I also agree Ad1tu and Firsfron that those Scholastic Books were great.  The books I ordered dealt with Norwegian children hiding gold from the Germans during World War II, stuff that happened in Canada, the world's greatest mysteries and stories set in deep freeze winter environments, amongst other titles.

The one I really remember well was a kid from the state I lived in at the time, who was being haunted by the spirits of undead horses, and the kid had to uncover the mystery of the dead horses.

#47 2017-06-05 01:23:13

Tad
Hierarch
Website

For me it's neck-and-neck between Wind in the Willows and the Winnie the Pooh books.  Both were read to me and I then read them later myself, several times each.  I have more recently read them to my kids.

From The Wind in the Willows I learned about wonder, and that Toads were untrustworthy.  From Winnie-ther-Pooh (sp. deliberate) I got my love of irony and my sense that I could find people in books, even if they were animals, who thought about things pretty much the same way I did.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#48 2017-06-05 16:27:23

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

So what you're saying is that you're a bear of very little brain?

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#49 2017-06-27 21:14:07

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

*bumps again*

#50 2017-08-08 15:29:31

Diorna
Pilgrim

Auros wrote:

Auros wrote:

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

I only saw the movie, which apparently was different enough from the book that the author denounced it, and had his name removed from the film.

I found the movie to be enjoyable nonsense, when I saw it in theaters (at age 6 or 7), then my dad read us the book, and it was revelatory -- SO much better.  I've re-read it maybe six times since then, and found new depths in it every time.  (Note that the "Part 2" movie is dreck which should be avoided.)

I totally second that! Never ever touch the second movie! Nuh-uh! But I still like the first one. It is close enough to the book (the first half of it anyway) and enjoyable, like you said. Nothing like the book, of course.

Auros wrote:

I think it was in Book 6 of 10, when I thought, if I have to read one more time, that she wiped the sink until it sparkled ...

Back to favourite childhood books:

Mine was and is Ronia, the Robber's Daughter. I got that for my fifth birthday and learned to read with it. I love quite a few other books of Astrid Lindgren, Madita, Mio, Michel/Emil, Bullerbü, some short stories ... but not so much Pippi (I like it, but I never really loved it.)
Momo and The Neverending Story were frequent rereads.
I liked fairy tales. My mother collected them, so I had access to a lot of different ones. I especially liked a book with Russian Tales from 1918, mainly because the pages were almost falling apart and the scripture was odd (Fraktur).
Oh, and Roald Dahl, especially Matilda (I can't watch the movie, though. Just can't.) and the Witches (nice movie-adaption).

Last edited by Diorna (2017-08-08 15:31:47)

Board footer