Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-28 07:20:14

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

What was your favorite book as a child?

The first book I remember loving was Where the Wild Things Are. There were many loves after that -- The Hobbit, Oz, Narnia, etc., but that was the very first one; the one that started my love for the written word.

Later, I read the classic Hardy Boys books, A Wrinkle In Time, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, Xanth, the early Shannara books, natural history books about dinosaurs and planets and species (this was a favorite), and then, the ultimate, The Dragonbone Chair (when I was 14).

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#2 2017-05-28 08:36:31

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Re: What was your favorite book as a child?

I've devoured books for as long as I can remember, I don't remember​ a favorite book. I did have favorite authors (Jan Terlouw, Thea Beckman and Evert Hartman, three Dutch writers).

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#3 2017-05-28 08:55:42

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I got my first library card when I was 6 and since then I have always been a voracious reader.

Like Sahi I don´t remember  a favorite individual book, but rather series´of books that I devoured time and time again.

I especially liked children´s mystery series like "Famous Five" by Enid Blyton and books like it, such as the German series "TKKG" by Stefan Wolf of which I read probably 40 volumes between ages 8 and 12. I also liked some Scandinavian series such as "Detective Kim" by Jens K. Holm and "Jan as Detective" by Knud Meister and Carlo Anderson. There was also a French spy series I loved called "Agent Lennet".

However, getting these books from the library was usually very frustrating because I always had to read any series out of order. I had to take what was on the shelf and that was usually not the next book I needed :-(

When I got a little older I loved the German "Mark Brandis" series of young-adult sf books that I read and re-read all the time and at 13 or so I started reading serious books like THE HOBBIT, THE LEFT HAND OF DARKNESS or THE LORD OF THE RINGS. When I discovered Tad, I was already a little older (like 16 or 17).

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#4 2017-05-28 09:06:41

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Sahi wrote:

I've devoured books for as long as I can remember, I don't remember​ a favorite book. I did have favorite authors (Jan Terlouw, Thea Beckman and Evert Hartman, three Dutch writers).

Sadly, I've never heard of these guys/gals!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#5 2017-05-28 09:22:17

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

What I can remember: Mio, My Son, and The Brothers Lionheart, both by Astrid Lindgren.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#6 2017-05-28 09:24:30

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

The first book I bought for myself with my own saved up money was The Wizard of Oz. I was seven or eight at the time. I also bought and read all the Donna Parker books and quite a few of the Trixie Belden books. And at age 12, I discovered Agatha Christie and Charles Dickens.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#7 2017-05-28 09:24:49

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Olaf wrote:

I got my first library card when I was 6 and since then I have always been a voracious reader.

Like Sahi I don´t remember  a favorite individual book, but rather series´of books that I devoured time and time again.

I especially liked children´s mystery series like "Famous Five" by Enid Blyton and books like it, such as the German series "TKKG" by Stefan Wolf of which I read probably 40 volumes between ages 8 and 12. I also liked some Scandinavian series such as "Detective Kim" by Jens K. Holm and "Jan as Detective" by Knud Meister and Carlo Anderson. There was also a French spy series I loved called "Agent Lennet".

However, getting these books from the library was usually very frustrating because I always had to read any series out of order. I had to take what was on the shelf and that was usually not the next book I needed :-(

Haha! I remember that frustration as well. I remember that particularly with the Hardy Boys mystery books. The library would have, like volumes 1-5, but then the next book would be 8, then 10-18, but then be missing 19-24, etc. So Frank and Joe Hardy, the main characters, would refer to adventures I didn't know, or they'd suddenly have a new friend, or a car. I remember that also being a frustration with the Oz books. It was difficult tracking down the missing volumes, but I did it. I got the final book as a reward, at age 10, for completing some math/time problems with the school counselor.

I just remembered that, for about a year, I also read all the Mary Poppins books, around age 8. I also recall The Wind in the Willows was a favorite.

You mentioned getting your first library card at age 6. It's funny because I also remember when my sister and I got our first library cards, too. I was around age eight, and we kept those cards for two years. Then we moved, and had to get new library cards. At age 10, I was allowed to keep my own library card; what a responsibility!

#8 2017-05-28 09:30:03

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

What I can remember: Mio, My Son, and The Brothers Lionheart, both by Astrid Lindgren.

The only Astrid Lindgren I remember is Pippi.

#9 2017-05-28 09:37:16

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Seitherin wrote:

The first book I bought for myself with my own saved up money was The Wizard of Oz. I was seven or eight at the time. I also bought and read all the Donna Parker books and quite a few of the Trixie Belden books. And at age 12, I discovered Agatha Christie and Charles Dickens.

I didn't read any Dickens until age 14, and it was a school assignment: Great Expectations.

#10 2017-05-28 09:47:34

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I don´t remember reading much Lindgren (only Pippi) or any Dickens during my childhood. That came probably later in my teens. Though I have to admit, I never read much Dickens only David Copperfield.

I had the same brown cardboard library card for over 25 years till the library changed their lending system to computers and I had to get a new plastic card. I kind of wish, I held on to my card and kept it a as memorabilia but too late now.

I discovered lots of children classics only as an adult like the Narnia books, Wizard of Oz, the majority of Lindgren.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#11 2017-05-28 22:51:02

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Let's see... I got my first library card also when I was around 6 years old. (Guessing here, could be plus or minus a year.) I went through the Nancy Drew books (never touched the Hardy Boys), a bunch of the Encyclopedia Brown books... I also checked out various nature and space books, albeit mostly for the pictures. I found Brian Jacques's Redwall series, and read the first few books of that series over and over, so those first couple, Redwall and Mossflower definitely rank up there.

Somewhere around this time, I was maybe 8 or 9, the library sort of fell off my radar. I still went once in a while, but for those few years, I used to go almost every week. But I had started reading some books from my dad's collection. He started me on the Xanth series, which was ok but I've never had a desire to go back to, and my first Asimov was The Norby Chronicles, annnnnnnd now after Googling that, I realize that I missed out on a bunch... Reading up a bit, it seems like my dad owned the 3 collections, which only encompassed 6 of the 11 stories. I did re-read those books quite a few times, so those stand out as well.

I also picked up L'Engle's A Wind in the Door because it had this totally awesome cover. I also picked up A Wrinkle in Time and A Swiftly Tilting Planet shortly after, but Wind was always my favorite of the three.

Along the L'Engle lines, a few years later, I found A Ring of Endless Light, and re-read that countless times throughout my pre-teen and teenage years.

I fear I'm getting out of "childhood", so I'll leave you with three more.

I think I picked this one up from a book fair, a book called Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. It's a Cinderella-story, but with some extra fantasy additions. I re-read this book many, many times.

Another series I got into around 9 or 10 years old was The Animorph's series, by KA Applegate. It had kids saving the world from aliens by turning into animals. What's not to love about that? From recent research, I know there are about a gazillion books in the series now. I think I only made it up to book 10 or so in the main series, and a couple of the (kinda spinoff) Andalite Chronicles.

Last but not least... My love for Redwall flipped a switch in my dad's brain, and he let me read his copy of Tailchaser's Song by some guy named Tad. I read that easily a dozen times over a span of a few years. And I recently bought my own copy and re-read it, and it's still awesome!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#12 2017-05-29 00:02:23

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Oh, the authors I mentioned were read when I was about eleven. Going back a bit further, I remember "I'm coming to get you!" by Tony Ross (which I now own, due to a certain painting of a monster that reminded me of it). And I was very fond of a series of scary stories called 'Zoeklicht' (searchlight). Huh, trying to find those books again, I'm finding they were for children with dyslexia? How odd, I never knew that.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#13 2017-05-29 03:11:29

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

Let's see... I got my first library card also when I was around 6 years old. (Guessing here, could be plus or minus a year.) I went through the Nancy Drew books (never touched the Hardy Boys), a bunch of the Encyclopedia Brown books... I also checked out various nature and space books, albeit mostly for the pictures. I found Brian Jacques's Redwall series, and read the first few books of that series over and over, so those first couple, Redwall and Mossflower definitely rank up there.

Somewhere around this time, I was maybe 8 or 9, the library sort of fell off my radar. I still went once in a while, but for those few years, I used to go almost every week. But I had started reading some books from my dad's collection. He started me on the Xanth series, which was ok but I've never had a desire to go back to, and my first Asimov was The Norby Chronicles, annnnnnnd now after Googling that, I realize that I missed out on a bunch... Reading up a bit, it seems like my dad owned the 3 collections, which only encompassed 6 of the 11 stories. I did re-read those books quite a few times, so those stand out as well.

I also picked up L'Engle's A Wind in the Door because it had this totally awesome cover. I also picked up A Wrinkle in Time and A Swiftly Tilting Planet shortly after, but Wind was always my favorite of the three.

Along the L'Engle lines, a few years later, I found A Ring of Endless Light, and re-read that countless times throughout my pre-teen and teenage years.

I fear I'm getting out of "childhood", so I'll leave you with three more.

I think I picked this one up from a book fair, a book called Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. It's a Cinderella-story, but with some extra fantasy additions. I re-read this book many, many times.

Another series I got into around 9 or 10 years old was The Animorph's series, by KA Applegate. It had kids saving the world from aliens by turning into animals. What's not to love about that? From recent research, I know there are about a gazillion books in the series now. I think I only made it up to book 10 or so in the main series, and a couple of the (kinda spinoff) Andalite Chronicles.

Last but not least... My love for Redwall flipped a switch in my dad's brain, and he let me read his copy of Tailchaser's Song by some guy named Tad. I read that easily a dozen times over a span of a few years. And I recently bought my own copy and re-read it, and it's still awesome!

Thanks for this excellent list, Ad1tu! I'm pretty sure I picked up the other L'Engle books at some point, but I just don't remember any more.

I never read, nor even remember hearing, of Redwall, prior to this discussion. And yet they were/are obviously very popular. So that was a boat I missed.

#14 2017-05-30 18:17:25

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

*bump*

Lots of Smarchers haven't participated in this thread, yet... let's see if they will!

#15 2017-05-31 01:33:36

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie
The Just-So Stories by Rudyard Kipling

You may notice a theme here.  I apparently was an extremely meta-textual child.

Last edited by Auros (2017-05-31 01:33:46)

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#16 2017-05-31 09:23:01

Maladroit
Pilgrim

How child are we talking here?

I vaguely recall preferring Go Dog Go and Are You My Mother? by PD Eastman as a small child.

I wanted to be Sam in My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George.

Spending the summers of my elementary years in the local library, where I might have read Lizard Music by Daniel Pinkwater? Might have also read The Phantom Tollbooth at this stage.

Definitely read L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, and A Swiftly Tilting Planet. Loved those.

I get my childhood confused with reading books to my kids.

#17 2017-05-31 09:37:31

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Maladroit wrote:

How child are we talking here?

Oh, you know... child-age child. ;)

I vaguely recall preferring Go Dog Go and Are You My Mother? by PD Eastman as a small child.

I wanted to be Sam in My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George.

Spending the summers of my elementary years in the local library, where I might have read Lizard Music by Daniel Pinkwater? Might have also read The Phantom Tollbooth at this stage.

Definitely read L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, and A Swiftly Tilting Planet. Loved those.

I vaguely remember My Side of the Mountain. I don't remember anything about A Wrinkle in Time, other than I loved it as a kid, and I think it had a pegasus in it.

#18 2017-05-31 09:38:34

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Auros wrote:

I only saw the movie, which apparently was different enough from the book that the author denounced it, and had his name removed from the film.

#19 2017-05-31 10:23:08

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Auros wrote:

I only saw the movie, which apparently was different enough from the book that the author denounced it, and had his name removed from the film.

I found the movie to be enjoyable nonsense, when I saw it in theaters (at age 6 or 7), then my dad read us the book, and it was revelatory -- SO much better.  I've re-read it maybe six times since then, and found new depths in it every time.  (Note that the "Part 2" movie is dreck which should be avoided.)

Last edited by Auros (2017-05-31 10:23:47)

#20 2017-05-31 10:46:24

Sojourn
Pilgrim

Easy

A Wizard of Earthsea and LOTR. I started reading Fellowship around aged 8, and finally got off the Tolkien train, interestingly enough, with The Dragonbone Chair.

#21 2017-05-31 13:10:39

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Auros wrote:

Auros wrote:

I found the movie to be enjoyable nonsense, when I saw it in theaters (at age 6 or 7), then my dad read us the book, and it was revelatory -- SO much better.  I've re-read it maybe six times since then, and found new depths in it every time.

The Book is always better than The Movie. That's the rule.

(Note that the "Part 2" movie is dreck which should be avoided.)

Never saw it. By the time it came out, I was an adult.

#22 2017-05-31 13:11:59

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Sojourn wrote:

Easy

A Wizard of Earthsea and LOTR. I started reading Fellowship around aged 8, and finally got off the Tolkien train, interestingly enough, with The Dragonbone Chair.

You read LOTR at age 8, Sojourn? *is impressed*

I'm still on the Tolkien Train, even though at age 14, I read DBC, and felt like it was even better.

#23 2017-05-31 13:19:00

Sojourn
Pilgrim

Yeah, even though that doesn't mean I understood it. My mom bought me the set, along with The Chronicles of Narnia, in the summer between 3rd and 4th grade.

I've never gotten off the MST train either. And since Tad's added new stops, why get off at all.

#24 2017-05-31 13:27:40

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Sojourn wrote:

I've never gotten off the MST train either. And since Tad's added new stops, why get off at all.

Haha! That is great! It's my new sig!

#25 2017-05-31 15:58:55

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

The Book is always better than The Movie. That's the rule.

The True Blood TV series is better than the books.  That's the only exception I can name, though.

Board footer