Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-13 10:41:24

ylvs
Mantis

Bullet Journal

Daughter1.1 came up with this back in January and I followed suit in March. It is an awesome way to keep track of your calendar/to-do-lists/important notes/stuff.
Here is a short introduction and there are a gazillion entries on instagram and youtube. Daughter1.1's instagram. Mine is much more minmalistic as hers of course. I am so happy I found this. It helps stupid brain to be much better organised than it was with all electronic devices.

So now I want to know: is anybody here bullet journaling as well? What are you doing beyond the basics?

#2 2017-05-13 12:09:37

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Bullet Journal

I am! I started mine in February.

I have found that the monthly log and short term log are pretty useless to me, but I love the daily list ongoing. It helps me set priorities at the start of the day, and I use it as reference for my evening long-form journal. I also log symptoms I'm having if they were out of the ordinary. (When I had the flu, I tracked my temp and symptoms, which was SO helpful when I went to the dr. And could barely think!)

I think the index format is genius! Everyone should be taught that in elementary school, for every notebook!

Things I store in my Bujo: current knitting stitches I'm working on, podcasts I want to listen to/keep up with, dog training progress, a mindful eating section (and a page on fave food combos), ongoing mom supplies, pretty much anything I want to be able to get my hands on regularly.

I took it to a speech the other day, and was so glad I had a place to write down all the great advice and inspiration.

Looking at my index now, I have a few random things I haven't looked at much, but I'm glad they are there!

#3 2017-05-13 12:23:24

ylvs
Mantis

I somehow knew you'd be doing this, Marian. Cool.

#4 2017-05-13 15:13:25

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

You know me. :-)

I hesitated, because between my calendar planner and Habitica , I thought it would be a bit redundant. And it kind of is. But it was an excuse to buy a new Moleskine, so why not? :)

I also bought gel pens, because it's much more fun colorful. *nods*

#5 2017-05-13 16:41:33

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Me too, kinda. I keep a very simplistic one for work. It's not indexed, as I wasn't sure that was important for me. Really, I use it to keep my head on straight and not let tasks get continually bumped without progress. I use it in conjunction with my outlook calendar. I don't remember when. I started it, I'll have to go back and look! But it's about halfway full :)

Eta: I think I'm gonna break down and buy a moleskine for my next one. Better lines and spacing, and there's just something more satisfying about writing in a slightly nicer notebook!

Last edited by Ad1tu (2017-05-13 16:43:11)

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#6 2017-05-14 00:56:03

ylvs
Mantis

Moleskine is muchly overated.
I higly recommend Leuchtturm1917, better paper, numbered pages & the only one that has proper index pages.

#7 2017-05-14 08:34:40

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Ooo that does look like a nice notebook...

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#8 2017-10-16 12:31:12

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Okay, as of now, I'm pretty much over the bujo. I think I'll still use it as a reference item for the topics above (and home d├ęcor, or whatever comes up next!), because I really like the index and knowing where to find my notes on just about everything. But as far as using it every day to-do lists, I'm switching back to my weekly planner.

It was a few weeks ago, when I was looking at bujo printables on Pinterest, and all the fancy things people do in their bullet journals, when I realized people were going to an awful lot of trouble to create... a calendar. To print out monthly and weekly calendar layouts that would fit in their bullet journals. It just seemed incredibly silly to me all of a sudden.

If I had really long lists every day, or used the monthly log or future planner, it might be more helpful to me. But my daily lists are usually limited to 5 or 6 items each for work and home, and that will fit fine in my weekly planner.

#9 2017-10-18 12:42:27

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Hmm I only have ~40 pages left in my notebook (that's counting front & back). Maybe I'll run out this weekend to see if I can find something. I need pens, too...

Tamishu's Ramblings

#10 2017-10-18 13:50:54

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

I did pick up some habits from using it that I like, like a dotted list and color-coding my lists for work and home. I'm still doing that.... Just in my calendar. :)

#11 2017-10-23 09:24:18

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Bought a new notebook. Really want to use it... Oh maybe I can convert my current one into message-notebook, therefore I can justify starting to use my new one! Yeah, I like that idea!! lol

I ended up buying something that is a "weekly planner" but is relatively blank inside. There's a couple index pages in the beginning, and there's yearly calendars and lists of holidays, but the pages are all blank, with spaces to fill in your own date. I think the reason I avoided "planners" for so long was I had such a hard time finding one that either had the right amount of space per day (not a ton, but not nothing either) AND also wasn't more of an appointment book, with the times listed out.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#12 2017-10-23 12:12:08

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Yeah, I have a similar problem with planners! Like I'm not a CEO who needs every minute planned out, but I do like some space to work with.

#13 2017-11-04 02:10:17

ylvs
Mantis

Ad1tu wrote:

I think the reason I avoided "planners" for so long was I had such a hard time finding one that either had the right amount of space per day (not a ton, but not nothing either) AND also wasn't more of an appointment book, with the times listed out.

See? This is why I love my bujo. I decide for myself how much space I need where. And I do not spend much time on creating the spreads. They are very basic and utile. Does take less than five minutes. But I love having the space to put in other stuff in between, like pics from Smarchmoots or vacation or things I want to remember and thus create a kind of a diary of my life as well. And having everthing in one place is so very handy.

Board footer