Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-11-30 04:45:41

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: My great adventure!

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

I am too stupid to figure out what the password was.

PMed you.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#52 2017-11-30 04:47:37

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Merenwen wrote:

Wow, that really is a lot of stuff going on, Magpie. I would be overwhelmed as well. Fortunately you have people at your side to support you and help you with figuring all this stuff out. I am sure you can go through this and everything will be fine in the end. Good luck! :)

Yeah, I would not dare to do this if I didn't have bosses who I can trust completely. And LG and his friends are helpful as well.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#53 2017-11-30 04:50:07

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Sahi wrote:

Well, at least a website is something that can wait for a little while. There will be no major red alert if that isn't in place on the first of January. *hugs*

Yeah, that is not the biggest thing I'm worried about.

Right now, it's mainly the contract stuff. Because as predicted, the boss was not too pleased to hear that I want to talk to someone else (not because he wants me to sign a bad contract, but just because he, like me, wants all of this to be done and over.

- Tad

#54 2017-11-30 04:55:45

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

LG seems to have a lot of friends with useful knowledge!

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#55 2017-11-30 05:09:31

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*hugs again* Yeah, at such times adulting is really hard.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#56 2017-11-30 05:35:07

Magpie
Mantis
Website

- Tad

#57 2017-11-30 05:55:15

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves pom poms*
Sounds like a very successful day already!

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#58 2017-11-30 14:23:23

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

You're doing the right thing with the contract. The only true purpose for contracts is to make certain you never need to refer to anything that's written in them, and for that, it's essential to think about all the worst things that'll never happen, and make certain that they'll deal with them in the best possible ways - and yes, that always takes more time than you'd prefer.

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#59 2017-11-30 17:36:52

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Echoing Aan's reply. Yes, going back and forth and back and forth on contracts sucks horrifically, but speaking as someone who does billings based on contracts, it's so much better if you get all the details hammered out and written down and everything is as explicit as possible. I can't tell you the number of times we've had clients dispute their bills because we (as a company) assumed something, but the client assumed something else, and turns out they never actually talked about it, so everything gets delayed while higher-ups figure out what's going on.

It's awesome to hear that you have so many resources at your disposal to help you figure things out, though! That's a huge help.

And I would say that since you have such a great relationship with your boss(es), that the transition between their company and yours will likely go very smoothly. Yeah, there will probably be a few things that fall through the cracks, but honestly, it sounds like you've got most of your bases covered, at least the really important ones. I know I don't really have relevant experience, being in another country and another industry completely, but in my experience, there are very, very few things that can't be fixed. And it's not the end of the world if there are things that got goofed up in the very beginning.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#60 2017-11-30 20:43:38

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Congrats on the progress, Magpie! Transitions are always tough, and because Herr and Frau Boss have been there forever, it's just going to be tough to disentangle them from the business, like ivy that has wrapped itself in a fence over many years. It sounds as though progress is being made, which is good. So even though the progress is slow, it's much better than just ripping the ivy out as quickly as possible. That's what I think.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#61 2017-12-01 05:27:45

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

So much progres, Magpie.... Awesome... And I get the scary as well....
But with contracts (with which I worked for five years), it's the best thing to make sure everything is exactly as you want it and no surprises can come and bite your butt later...

*huggles muchly*

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#62 2017-12-03 02:36:49

Magpie
Mantis
Website

And another blog post
Planning to write/finish another one today, but since it's on a different topic, I figured it would make more sense to post this separately.

- Tad

#63 2017-12-03 02:57:19

Sahi
Mantis
Website

You're awesome!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#64 2017-12-03 05:39:28

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

That is such a difficult decision... And I so get your two sides about it.... But also awesome if she does make it work....

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#65 2017-12-03 06:07:31

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Sahi wrote:

You're awesome!

Seconded :)

#66 2017-12-03 13:34:28

Magpie
Mantis
Website

- Tad

#67 2017-12-03 15:54:44

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*hugs*

That sounds really stressful :\ I understand a lot of your concerns, how perfect does this have to be vs. I just want this to be done and over with. I have more to say, but I'll shoot you a PM, just to keep the specifics off of a public forum...

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#68 2017-12-03 23:53:38

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*hugs*

Scrollbearer

#69 2018-01-04 13:18:10

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Just to be sure, are you now officially the boss?

Scrollbearer

#70 2018-01-05 01:30:11

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

*hugs*

If you haven't already, talk to other business owners you know. How do they look upon those issues?
Best of luck, fingers crossed, and all!

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#71 2018-01-05 01:34:04

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Also, isn't there an official nursery "boss" hat/cap/headband that you can wear so people know who to thank (complain to). I know it shouldn't be needed, but... sometimes the solution you need isn't what you deserve.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

Board footer