Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-08 12:37:03

Magpie
Mantis
Website

My great adventure!

So. Some of you know about this already, and I'm tired of keeping this a secret - I would have preferred to wait until it's all signed and sealed, but we're all treating it as a thing that will happen now, we just need to figure out all the details...

My bosses are retiring at the end of the year. And since their daughter has nothing at all to do with horticulture, and their son (Herr Journeyman) is too young and inexperienced and also wants to work in a different field eventually -

I'll be taking over the nursery.

I'll be renting it from them, and the plan is that they'll still be around for advice and occasional help at least during the first year. Since we get along very well, I'm pretty confident that will work well.
And the regulars all know me and like me (except for a handful of very rude ones, because I have a lot less patience for their behaviour than my boss), so that should not be a problem either.

At the end of May, we have an appointment with an advisor to figure out all the legal stuff, but in other ways it's already starting to become official - today we changed the listing in the phone book, so the new one that comes out in autumn will have my name in it already.

I think I will make a blog for all the things related to this, a password protected one because I would rather not have all the details of this out in the open. You'll all get the password, of course!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#2 2017-05-08 12:45:11

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Re: My great adventure!

Oh Magpie, this is awesome news! Congratulations! I am happy for you. :)

This is indeed an adventure. You will be your own boss. This is so cool. My best wishes for a successful and happy business. :)

I would be happy to see your blog about this!

#3 2017-05-08 13:13:05

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Oh, Magpie. I'm so, so, so happy for you.

You've worked very hard to finish your education. And you've worked very hard to make a name for yourself at the nursery. I've come to count on your advice just as much as your customers.

It must be very sad for your bosses to give up the business they built. But they've entrusted it with you, so it's in very good, capable, dirty-nailed hands. Congratulations, Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#4 2017-05-08 13:32:03

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I am so happy for you!

This is wonderful news.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#5 2017-05-08 13:36:51

Magpie
Mantis
Website

So, blog is here: nettlenursery.wordpress.com

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to password protect the whole blog, so I have to do it for the individual posts (but I'll probably keep the same password for all posts).
Merenwen, Firs, Olaf, I'll PM you the password - and of course I'll do the same for everyone else here.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#6 2017-05-08 14:07:36

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Congratulations again!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#7 2017-05-08 15:06:40

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

This may have been a slightly smaller secret to keep than a new tome of Tadness, but... Wheeeeee!

May your grand adventure be exciting yet enjoyable and entirely free of Kilpa and Bukken, though the latter might till the soil for you and I do not doubt you could tame them or dispatch them with shovel or axe. Should you need an eye or an ear on a contract or numbers, I'm happy to provide whatever assistance I can render.

*big warm hug*

Oh, and... password please? *makes puppy eyes*

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#8 2017-05-08 15:22:09

ylvs
Mantis

So, it is finally official!

*pouncy huggles*

I am so happy for you Magpie, you'll get what you deserve!

And Firs, I don't think it is sad for the old bosses. They'll see their business thrive instead of being closed or ruined by some knows-nuthing.

#9 2017-05-08 16:17:44

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

Congratulations Magpie!

Best wishes on a long and successful business!

#10 2017-05-08 16:18:10

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Omg!!!!! That's so exciting! Congrats, Magpie! It is sad they are retiring, but how awesome that they trust you to be the one to take over!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#11 2017-05-08 16:55:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

And Firs, I don't think it is sad for the old bosses. They'll see their business thrive instead of being closed or ruined by some knows-nuthing.

Well, if I sold my house, I would miss my trees. Even though I knew they'd be going to the very best new owner (and I'd make sure of that).

But I digress. This is a great solution for all involved.

The blog photos are really lovely, Magpie. That shop is beautiful. I can see why it's fun working there. Those hanging pots would never last here; during April and May, the winds are just too strong. Those pots would be a shattered mess.

Where are the trees? Regardless, I want to shop there!

And here's another silly poem, dedicated to you, Magpie, based on the song in The Hobbit:

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.
Today and tomorrow are full of flower beds.
The chances, the changes are all yours to make.
The tools of your life are your spade and your rake.

The greatest adventure is there if you're bold.
Your nursery will prosper; your plants will be sold.
You'll garden your treasures, and sell those bouquets.
It's time you start thinkin' 'bout seizing the day.

This woman's a dreamer and never gives up.
Her books and her plants make her tougher than tough.
She's worked with a passion, she's worked through some pain.
She waters the plants when there's no sign of rain.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.
Today and tomorrow are full of flower beds.
The chances, the changes are all yours to make.
The tools of your life are your spade and your rake.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#12 2017-05-08 17:14:32

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Come to think of it, I've been in the neighbourhood, because I drove there to drop off Mr. Apprentice after Stuttgart (and pick him up before Stuttgart as well, I think), but I have yet to visit the shop!

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#13 2017-05-08 17:21:28

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Come to think of it, I've been in the neighbourhood, because I drove there to drop off Mr. Apprentice after Stuttgart (and pick him up before Stuttgart as well, I think), but I have yet to visit the shop!

Sounds to me like a mini-moot is in order!

#14 2017-05-08 17:30:42

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*applauds the Duke of Poetry*

#15 2017-05-08 22:08:16

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Great news Magpie! Congratulations and best of luck to you! *hugs*

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#16 2017-05-08 22:44:48

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Thanks, everyone! I'll send you all the password in a minute.

Peter, I might take you up on that offer at some point. And yes, we did drive right past there on the way back (on the way there, we picked him up from the train station, I think). Now that I have a key, we could actually stop there and I could show you around, even if it's late at night again.

And of course, the next time there's a Smarchmoot at my place, you're all getting a tour anyway.

Firs, that poem is awesome! Thank you so much! (But alas, we do not sell any trees...)

- Tad

#17 2017-05-08 22:58:21

cyan
Mantis

Dearest Magpie,

I am SOOOOO happy that you can finally announce this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Greatest Adventure

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#18 2017-05-09 01:23:01

Merenwen
Pilgrim

The nursery looks lovely. Such a nice place to work at. :)

#19 2017-05-09 08:42:56

Maladroit
Pilgrim

What wonderful news - Congratulations Magpie!!

#20 2017-05-09 08:45:29

Pandy
Pilgrim

This is FANTASTIC! 

Oh my goodness, it is delightful to read this!

Magpie, many conga rats to you!

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
"I think Pandiqegabenikananoomookmannaq sounds even better." -Firs
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#21 2017-05-09 11:08:13

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

Congratulations!

I remember very early talk about this being something that might be an option to be considered at some point in the future, so I know how long the road has been to get here. I can imagine the excitement along the way as this was getting more and more real.

A piece of advice for your first year: Don't be afraid of taking full advantage of their offer of being around for advice! Try to make it something regular - an hour every other week to talk over whatever has come up recently. Even with as long as you've been around, witnessing the day-to-day activities there, they'll still have so many decades of experience, of failed attempts and lessons learned and decisions on why and how things work best in the way they are done - and there'll be tremendous value in learning about that background when you're the one faced with having to make all the decisions. Obviously you won't have to make the same decisions, but understanding of the road taken, will help a lot with charting out how to go forward.

I also hope you'll be able to hire some very reliable help to cover for your absences whenever you need to be away to attend a smarchmoot! :D (And, speaking as someone who's self-employed himself, do realize it'll be even more necessary to take time off and be away from it all when you're the boss then it is now! A trip away might seem to cost "twice as much", because it's the cost for the travel, plus the lack of direct income - and so you might be tempted to skimp on such time away. Don't fall for that trap! Any investment in your own long-term well being will always pay off!)

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#22 2017-05-09 12:27:32

Magpie
Mantis
Website

It's not so much the decision-making I think I'll need advice on, as remembering to do all the things at the right time. And possibly how to keep all the technical stuff working correctly.

Yeah, finding reliable employees will be very important. Hopefully I'll find someone who'll be willing to work the occasional weekend, because I would like to sleep in sometimes or go away for a weekend. And of course, they must be willing to cover Smarchmoots.
The biggest problem for me is not even so much the lack of income, it's the fact that someone must always be around to keep the plants alive, and the shop open, and I think trusting someone else to do all of that correctly won't be easy...
(I mean, it's already not easy now. Because every time I'm away for a few days, I come back and find things that have gone wrong or been done wrong or been forgotten...)

- Tad

#23 2017-05-09 13:18:44

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

In short, you'll need someone who'll be for you what you are to the outgoing owners. Someone competent, reliable and trustworthy! I hope you can find such an employee :-)

#24 2017-05-09 15:41:12

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

I am so, so, SO happy for you!

#25 2017-05-09 16:05:05

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

It's sooo awesome that it's now sure enough to be out in the "open"...

Big huggles... and you know you can count on me if you need any help which does not include knowledge of actual flowers!!!

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

Board footer