Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-05-29 09:22:16

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: QM - Episode 4: A New Home

Peter wrote:

Hope you recover quickly, Magpie!

Has the craziness at work gone down a little with the hot weather?

Yeah, it's a bit quieter now.

I feel a tiny bit better now after some sleep, but still pretty sure I will need to stay home for a few days.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#52 2017-05-29 10:27:36

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

*waves*

It's a holiday here, but I'm logging into work for a few minutes to stave off anxiety about the week ahead. I've had the phone off for much of the weekend, and it felt SO good. Next best thing to being away to a cabin in the woods...

Pretty weather day, so I'll probably spend most of it reading on my balcony.

Glad to hear everyone is progressing, healing, and resting!

#53 2017-05-29 10:32:13

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*waves at Marian*

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#54 2017-05-29 10:47:50

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Hi Magpie!

#55 2017-05-29 10:57:41

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Too tired to do anything, not tired enough to sleep...

- Tad

#56 2017-05-29 11:18:26

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Now that my knitting is done, I've picked up crochet again.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#57 2017-05-29 13:10:38

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I feel hungry, but I don't think I'm up to cooking. Time to order some food, I guess, which I hardly ever do.

- Tad

#58 2017-05-29 13:36:30

Sahi
Mantis
Website

All the more reason to enjoy it now!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#59 2017-05-29 14:12:31

Magpie
Mantis
Website

My food is still not here. :(

- Tad

#60 2017-05-29 14:17:26

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

That seems excessive, especially given the time :/
I hope you can fully recover over the next days, dragging an illness around is no fun.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#61 2017-05-29 14:25:04

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Okay, seriously? The porter of a company that's waaaaay up the street just called me and said the delivery driver is there and asking where he has to go.

It's not like my house is that hard to find.

- Tad

#62 2017-05-29 14:27:40

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Last I checked you have normal numbers.... all three satnav's I've tried found the way.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#63 2017-05-29 14:33:44

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Apparently he read "house number/apartment number" as one number... and he just called again to say he is here, but I don't see him from the window. And I'm not going to go outside in my pyjamas and wait for him, nope. He can f***ing ring my doorbell like a normal person.

- Tad

#64 2017-05-29 14:43:07

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Okay, turns out I can't actually blame the driver... what is the point of having an online order form if it messes up numbers this way? That's what I get for wanting to avoid a phone call... two phone calls and waiting over an hour for my food.

- Tad

#65 2017-05-29 15:09:52

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I hope the food is good at least :(
And online forms should indeed make things better, not worse...

#66 2017-05-29 15:29:04

Magpie
Mantis
Website

It was okay (except that the salad had gotten warm after so much time spent in close proximity to the hot food, ew), but too much. Oh well, leftovers for tomorrow.

- Tad

#67 2017-05-29 17:16:10

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

*drive-by pouncyhuggle*

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#68 2017-05-29 22:35:28

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves at Libra*

#69 2017-05-29 23:35:26

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Maen Mint!

It was too hot last night, so I'm tired now. Didn't get very restful sleep. And then this morning a dream of cleaning up in the house transformed into being somewhere in the UK trying to get a bus to the airport. Involving forgotten luggage, being pushed out of buses, having to transfer multiple times without having a clue where. Ugh.

Scrollbearer

#70 2017-05-30 00:21:44

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Woke up a bit earlier than planned, so I am kind of tired as well. It's quite hot here as well and predicted to be even hotter today.

#71 2017-05-30 00:25:47

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I slept pretty well and feel a lot better now.

- Tad

#72 2017-05-30 00:34:12

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Hurray to feeling better!

I discovered this morning that not all the thermostats in the office were set to maximum cooling. So I fixed that.

Scrollbearer

#73 2017-05-30 01:31:26

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*waves good morning*

Sorry for the food disaster yesterday, Magpie. Such mistakes shouldn't be happening. But apart from the mixed up numbers,  I have made the experience as well that food orders take much longer when you do them online. We always order via phone.

I have another day in a way too warm office without air conditioning ahead of me. On the other hand I have no right to complain. After all, all I do is sitting on my ass while my father has to run around outside all the day, for example.

#74 2017-05-30 02:22:57

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Hmpf, I guess my company can't operate other than in panic mode. I just got an invitation for a presentation the day after tomorrow... Interesting, but I'll be on holiday then.

Scrollbearer

#75 2017-05-30 02:48:52

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I got a small shock as the AC at work decided to operate as a simple fan, despite being set to AC mode. Fortunately restarting it fixed the problem, though the compressor didn't sound great spinning up.

This rooftop office is hell without AC, it was already at 28°C in the morning (on a really hot day it is 30°C with the AC running at full blast).

Board footer