Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-05-05 02:47:38

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM - The red double decker bus

*crawls into the bus and coils herself up with a blanket in a comfy seat*

Gmaen mint!
learned a few new party tricks in the last days:
1. How to pull a muscle by coughing and
2. how to sleep in an upright position (at least for a few hours)

These are valuable talents, right? right? *grumbles*
I'm just back from my doctor. Looks I will be bedridden for at least another week since my lung is doing funny things *grumbles because she planed a trip for her mom's birthday on Friday and now needs to cancle it*

ylvs wrote:

*plops on comfy seat*

I've actually been a lot on the U-Bahn today. Learned a ton of stuff and now suffer from information overload.
And I bought three dresses during lunchbreak.

Awesome day!

*huggles all and sundry*

these are awesome dresses, ylvs! Good thing Braunschweig is not half the shopping-eldorado Berlin is, otherwise my salary would be in grave danger :-)

Magpie wrote:

Last weekend I planted some flowers in the Unexpected Garden, and put some sticks around them to mark the spots. Today I met the owner of the garden on the train, and she told me that her husband didn't realise the sticks were there on purpose and mowed the flowers together with the surrounding lawn.

poor flowers :-( Is there a chance that they might grow back? I mean, if the roots weren't damaged there might be a chance, right?

#52 2017-05-05 03:37:58

Sahi
Mantis
Website

The suitcase is all packed now. So now I have all day to remember everything I forgot to pack. (But I think I have the most important stuff.)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#53 2017-05-05 04:58:45

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Merenwen wrote:

Haha, unfortunately I am bored and hungry. :D

Find something that is really difficult and slow to eat, so you can fix both problems at once? :D

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#54 2017-05-05 04:59:43

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Kia wrote:

poor flowers :-( Is there a chance that they might grow back? I mean, if the roots weren't damaged there might be a chance, right?

Yeah, I hope they will grow back... but they probably won't bloom this year.
No, better not think about it, or I will feel like crying again.

*throws gold jellybeans at Kia*

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#55 2017-05-05 05:00:25

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Sorry your lungs are funny in an unfunny way, Kia. Can you at least entertain yourself, or do you need to stay in bed?

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#56 2017-05-05 05:14:47

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Well, at least there is no fever involved but since I did not sleep more than 2 hours in a row for the last two days I'm not very good at anything that needs concentration. So gaming or reading is out of question...I will check for some tv entertainment, maybe it will help to sleep :-)

#57 2017-05-05 05:29:57

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*throws even more golden jellybeans at Kia*

This doesn't sound good at all... I hope you will recover quickly. Get well soon!

#58 2017-05-05 05:35:29

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Peter wrote:

Merenwen wrote:

Haha, unfortunately I am bored and hungry. :D

Find something that is really difficult and slow to eat, so you can fix both problems at once? :D

That is actually a very good idea. :D

I had my lunch already, but it wasn't that difficult to eat, so killing some time with it only worked for a few minutes. It is not that I have nothing to do, but my tasks for today are all easy and fast to finish and don't demand a lot of concentration, so I will just end up watching random stuff online again until I go home.

#59 2017-05-05 05:42:50

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Sahi wrote:

The suitcase is all packed now. So now I have all day to remember everything I forgot to pack. (But I think I have the most important stuff.)

Safe travels tomorrow, Sahi! Have fun! :)

#60 2017-05-05 05:57:28

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

That does not sound fun at all, Kia :(
Lack of sleep is super annoying and exhausting.

#61 2017-05-05 07:39:02

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Bleh. My nose has been drippy the past couple days. Not sure if my husband got me sick, or if the weather is just kicking my butt (it's been cold and rainy for, like, forever. Or a couple weeks. One of the two.)

And it's supposed to rain more this weekend! There's actually starting to be some serious side effects from all this rain. People closer to the lake and some of the creeks are having to worry about flooding, as the water level did not drop that much in the 1.5 days we didn't have rain this week. Maybe nature is trying to make us evolve into fish...

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#62 2017-05-05 08:46:08

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

I woke up to a tornado warning, and watched the news as they showed the rotation heading right for my area. But I don't think it touched down.

I learned for the first time today that tornados here aren't the kind you can see, that they are "rain wrapped".

I'm in bed. One of those days I made a list but don't feel like doing anything at all. I wonder if I'll ever want to do anything ever again.

I do want to take a bath today. But even that seems like a lot of work.

KIA, that sounds awful. Did you bruise a rib?

#63 2017-05-05 08:50:09

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Just take it slow, Marian. Take your bath and feel accomplished for that. It sounds like that kind of day. I think I've done enough for all of us today! We even went to Ikea and bought some curtains! Certainly not something I expected to have time for.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#64 2017-05-05 09:13:20

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Thanks, Sahi!

It does sound like you've been productive to a superhuman level.

#65 2017-05-05 10:45:26

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I'm bringing way too much stuff to the UK. I'm glad I'm not flying, I don't dare to put my suitcase on a scale...

Scrollbearer

#66 2017-05-05 11:09:32

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

:)

I've been in bed but with LOTS of Duolingo, so sort of productive. And I am in the process of loading the dishwasher. It's one of those days EVERYTHING feels super hard, though as I said yesterday that's been all week at least. I hate depression. (Or RA or whatever this is.)

I might go get coffee....

#67 2017-05-05 11:32:31

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Sahi wrote:

Sure we can go for book cases!

Works on the railroad tomorrow, so I'm leaving super early not to miss my train from Brussels. But I have books, knitting and crochet along, so I shouldn't be bored. (I'll probably arrive in Brussels two hours early, but if not the next train doesn't arrive until an hour later.)

So I'll probably arrive at Surbiton just before dinner (5PM'ish)

That's fine, we could even load all your stuff in the car, park it and have something to eat at the riverside?!

Ohhhhhh sooooo looking forward to it!!!
We don't have official electricity yet though, but we have plenty that works!!

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#68 2017-05-05 11:33:23

Mantis

Magpie wrote:

Today has not started in a good way for me...

Last weekend I planted some flowers in the Unexpected Garden, and put some sticks around them to mark the spots. Today I met the owner of the garden on the train, and she told me that her husband didn't realise the sticks were there on purpose and mowed the flowers together with the surrounding lawn.
Trying not to cry now...

Oh noooo.... that is so sad.... *huggles*

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#69 2017-05-05 11:34:29

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Sounds good to me.

Scrollbearer

#70 2017-05-05 11:38:43

Mantis

Marian wrote:

:)

I've been in bed but with LOTS of Duolingo, so sort of productive. And I am in the process of loading the dishwasher. It's one of those days EVERYTHING feels super hard, though as I said yesterday that's been all week at least. I hate depression. (Or RA or whatever this is.)

I might go get coffee....

*huggles*
AT least you are doing duolingo, so not all the way unproductive.... and I do think that we should now be at the technological era that self-cleaning crockery and self-cleaning carpets should be a thing.... cleaning is overrated... *nods sagely*

But seriously, I know.... those days are not fun, but the worst is if you beat yourself up about it, so maybe (and I know it's easy to say) try to accept it and "let" yourself not want to do anything...

*huggles more*

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#71 2017-05-05 11:40:42

Mantis

I am just too tired for work today..... finished the call at 3.30am.... had to chill for a moment, so didn't get to bed until 4am.... but stupid body decided that light means day means awake, so woke up at 10.30 already, which really is too little sleep for me.

Dragging me through the day for another 2.5 hours is going to be hard....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#72 2017-05-05 12:12:09

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

But seriously, I know.... those days are not fun, but the worst is if you beat yourself up about it, so maybe (and I know it's easy to say) try to accept it and "let" yourself not want to do anything...

*huggles more*

*huggles* Thank you. :)

The worst part isn't feeling unproductive, it's feeling apathetic about everything. Not being interested in doing things, even things I enjoy. So I'm making myself do some things: put on makeup, read, practice guitar. I know if I give in to laying in bed all day I'll just feel worse later.

Running the dishwasher felt like an accomplishment! :D

I really hope you're able to get more sleep soon!

#73 2017-05-05 13:59:09

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

Today has not started in a good way for me...

Trying not to cry now...

Really sorry about the flowers, Magpie. The mowers did that to my baby Agave americana, even after I pointed it out to them.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#74 2017-05-05 14:17:02

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Trying to think about something else...

A thing that is bugging me about my customers sometimes: giving their children the illusion of choice, and then taking it away. Like, telling them to pick out flowers, and then telling them, “no, that other colour looks better” or “no, those colours don’t match at all” or “no, I don’t like that.”

Then why did you let your child choose in the first place?! And what does it teach your child? That their tastes are crap? That their decisions aren’t worth anything? That they will not be listened to anyway?

There is this one particular mother who lectures her three-year-old about which colours go together, and why the ones he picked out don’t look good, and just - he’s three, he’s not going to understand that! Just let him pick the colours that make him happy! Or pick them out yourself, and don’t pretend you’re going to let him choose if you’re not actually going to do that.

And seeing how disappointed they are is the worst.

Yesterday there was this little girl and her mother who wanted to buy flowers for her friend’s new playhouse. I helped them pick out marigolds because they fit the size/light/care requirements, and are non-toxic in case a kid ends up eating something, and the mother asked the daughter if she wanted yellow or orange ones.

The girl wanted orange ones, and I started picking them out of the tray, and the mother goes, “oh, wait, but yellow would fit better with the pots we have, and with the decorations of the playhouse and…”

This was supposed to the daughter’s present to the daughter’s friend?! So how about you butt out with your stupid adult aesthetics?

The little girl looked so sad…

But then on the other hand, today I looked out to see this tiny little boy picking one of the used trays from under one of the display tables (where we put them for the customers to use), and his mother came out of the greenhouse and put back the tray she had been carrying and told him, "yes, that is exactly the right size for the plants that we need! You have a good eye for that! Look, the one I took is too small for these pots."

And then a bit later I saw them picking out bell pepper plants, and she was showing him how to choose a good plant, in a way he could understand. It made me so happy to see them interacting!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#75 2017-05-05 14:26:18

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Glad you ended up with a good example, but that is really sad about how parents undermine their children without even thinking about the effect.

Board footer