Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-05-04 14:11:17

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: QM - The red double decker bus

ylvs wrote:

Oh, yeah, inlaws when they're still more strangers than family.

*remembers*

After almost 20 years with mine I was sitting in BiL's garden and the whole lot of them were there (about 40 peeps) to celebrate nieces' high school graduation and I suddenly while looking at all of them I realised that those who had been kind of ok then were beloved now and even those I had utterly despised were not a pain anymore. Time does good things, too. Sometimes.

It's not even so much that she's mostly a stranger. It's just that she's a very exhausting person with very... over-the-top emotions, which are not easy for me to deal with. And no self-control that I have ever noticed.

I don't know if LG's parents will be there as well. I should ask, because I think I promised his mother tomato plants.
(And his parents are another category of difficult-to-deal-with, after the things I have heard about how they treated LG and his siblings when they were children...)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#27 2017-05-04 14:24:18

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Magpie wrote:

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

*steps into shiny mint-bus*

Ooooo.... pretty and a new home out there as well!!!

In other news..... I has the package.... I actually cuddled it at work and then made all my colleagues look at it....

*is bouncy*

Today is weird.... meetings at 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm and another at 2am (which of course should be rated under tomorrow, but as I'm not going to bed first - too much risk of not waking up - I will still call it today)

Is that package anything like the package that had me running out of the greenhouse to meet the UPS truck last week?

Yeeeeees!! *bounces*

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#28 2017-05-04 14:33:31

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I've packed most of my stuff, going to dump it in the suitcase before I go to bed.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#29 2017-05-04 14:50:44

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

*steps into shiny mint-bus*

Ooooo.... pretty and a new home out there as well!!!

In other news..... I has the package.... I actually cuddled it at work and then made all my colleagues look at it....

*is bouncy*

Today is weird.... meetings at 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm and another at 2am (which of course should be rated under tomorrow, but as I'm not going to bed first - too much risk of not waking up - I will still call it today)

Is that package anything like the package that had me running out of the greenhouse to meet the UPS truck last week?

Yeeeeees!! *bounces*

Things that package has made me do so far:

Read while walking
Squee while reading while walking
Grin widely and press the book against my face
Tear up
Laugh so loudly that the guy sitting next to me at the train stop asked me what I was reading

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#30 2017-05-04 15:45:34

ylvs
Mantis

Magpie, would you mind if I took a pic from your last post and tweet it? Or you could post it in your blog and I tweet it from there?

#31 2017-05-04 16:04:57

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Go ahead!

Too tired for blog posts already. Nightly book-and-bathtub session done, and now bedtime.

- Tad

#32 2017-05-04 16:26:18

Mantis

Magpie wrote:

Also, those are even more brutal hours than mine.

It's one of those moments where you go... I really don't want to.... but I really should.... but I really really don't want to.... anyway.... I decided I should and now I'm stuck to it.... Good thing... I only work 5 hours tomorrow, 4pm to 9pm.... would have gotten the day off from my director but our US manager is not in...

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#33 2017-05-04 16:27:23

Mantis

ylvs wrote:

*plops on comfy seat*

I've actually been a lot on the U-Bahn today. Learned a ton of stuff and now suffer from information overload.
And I bought three dresses during lunchbreak.

Awesome day!

*huggles all and sundry*

Pretties!!!!

Nice dresses, Ylvs!

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#34 2017-05-04 16:28:23

Mantis

Peter wrote:

Those are waaaaaay too many meetings. I hope the shiny package makes up for those!

It sooooooo does..... makes me grin every time I look at it....

I might end up dragging Sahi around to get my first bookcase, just so I can display this one book!!

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#35 2017-05-04 16:31:11

Mantis

Magpie wrote:

Magpie wrote:

Yeeeeees!! *bounces*

Things that package has made me do so far:

Read while walking
Squee while reading while walking
Grin widely and press the book against my face
Tear up
Laugh so loudly that the guy sitting next to me at the train stop asked me what I was reading

I (a dignified consultant, usually busy with dignified consultant work) ended up bouncing up and down in front of about half my department colleagues squeeing and making all of them look at it.... I was not dignified.... Hahahaha....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#36 2017-05-04 16:34:07

Mantis

I know this will sound ridiculous... but soooooo happy that the decking will NOT be happening tomorrow.... now I don't have to worry about the time I get out of bed, or the possibility that at 8am someone might be hammering just outside my house!!

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#37 2017-05-04 17:08:03

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Sleep is a very fine thing, Libra! I might well turn down decking for it.
If they offered electricity, I'd have to forgo sleep though. There are priorities.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#38 2017-05-04 18:21:39

Mantis

Peter wrote:

Sleep is a very fine thing, Libra! I might well turn down decking for it.
If they offered electricity, I'd have to forgo sleep though. There are priorities.

Oh yes.... I would definitely forgo sleep for electricity!!!!

Half an hour for my call....

Pffff....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#39 2017-05-04 19:00:06

Mantis

Hating vpn.....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#40 2017-05-04 19:56:52

Mantis

Call finally done....

Chilling for half an hour and then off to bed...

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#41 2017-05-04 23:40:43

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Sure we can go for book cases!

Works on the railroad tomorrow, so I'm leaving super early not to miss my train from Brussels. But I have books, knitting and crochet along, so I shouldn't be bored. (I'll probably arrive in Brussels two hours early, but if not the next train doesn't arrive until an hour later.)

So I'll probably arrive at Surbiton just before dinner (5PM'ish)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#42 2017-05-04 23:42:19

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Time to get off this couch and start preparing for my trip. *Bounces*

Scrollbearer

#43 2017-05-04 23:56:20

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Today has not started in a good way for me...

Last weekend I planted some flowers in the Unexpected Garden, and put some sticks around them to mark the spots. Today I met the owner of the garden on the train, and she told me that her husband didn't realise the sticks were there on purpose and mowed the flowers together with the surrounding lawn.
Trying not to cry now...

- Tad

#44 2017-05-04 23:57:28

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*hugs* that's awful!

Scrollbearer

#45 2017-05-05 00:24:35

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

That's sad! *hugs*

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#46 2017-05-05 00:58:44

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Good morning :-)

Sorry about your flowers, Magpie. This has probably happened to everyone who ever worked in a garden with someone else. Husbands and sons are famous for this as well... I hope you can figure out an idiot proof way to communicate it and that unexpected garden husband has good memory.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#47 2017-05-05 01:54:26

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*hugs Magpie*

That is such a pity!

#48 2017-05-05 01:57:01

Merenwen
Pilgrim

ylvs wrote:

*plops on comfy seat*

I've actually been a lot on the U-Bahn today. Learned a ton of stuff and now suffer from information overload.
And I bought three dresses during lunchbreak.

Awesome day!

*huggles all and sundry*

Oh, these dresses look pretty. Such nice colors!

#49 2017-05-05 02:00:42

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Hope you'll be neither bored nor swamped with work today, Merenwen!

#50 2017-05-05 02:39:36

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Haha, unfortunately I am bored and hungry. :D

Board footer