Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-04 11:42:49

Sahi
Mantis
Website

QM - The red double decker bus

Welcome one and all!

The doors open and the driver hands you a ticket. When you circle up the stairs to the top floor, you see a well stocked bar in the back of the bus.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#2 2017-05-04 11:45:45

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM - The red double decker bus

God damn you, Smarchbrain.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#3 2017-05-04 11:46:13

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*limps onto the bus*

*collapses into a seat*

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#4 2017-05-04 11:50:07

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

So now we have two Libra themed Mints, created in parallel :D

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#5 2017-05-04 11:51:51

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

No new posts for a while.
Had a Mint idea.
Double checked if there were any new threads.
Created a Mint.
Refreshed.
Two Mints.

#6 2017-05-04 12:00:27

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I want to say let's close the other Mint, and reopen it if this one is full, but it will make a lot less sense on any other day... on the other hand, if logic is not allowed in the Mint, then sense probably isn't, either...

Or we could try to fill up this one before today is over, but I don't think there's much chance of that...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#7 2017-05-04 12:03:27

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Yeah, that would be slightly ambitious :D

#8 2017-05-04 12:03:43

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Did you see my post in the old Mint?

#9 2017-05-04 12:09:36

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Did you see my post in the old Mint?

Yeah, I did.

Thinking about it. My instinct is always to say, "do I really need this?"

- Tad

#10 2017-05-04 12:29:11

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Yes, you totally do :D . It's sooo much better than my old old phone. And I think everybody I know already has something newer than the S4 mini.

#11 2017-05-04 12:42:04

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

*steps into shiny mint-bus*

Ooooo.... pretty and a new home out there as well!!!

In other news..... I has the package.... I actually cuddled it at work and then made all my colleagues look at it....

*is bouncy*

Today is weird.... meetings at 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm and another at 2am (which of course should be rated under tomorrow, but as I'm not going to bed first - too much risk of not waking up - I will still call it today)

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#12 2017-05-04 12:43:48

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Yes, you totally do :D . It's sooo much better than my old old phone. And I think everybody I know already has something newer than the S4 mini.

Neither of those things mean that I really need it, though. :D

And also the idea of getting rid of a thing that still works, bothers me.

On the other hand, next year it might make sense to have a separate phone for work...

- Tad

#13 2017-05-04 12:45:11

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

*steps into shiny mint-bus*

Ooooo.... pretty and a new home out there as well!!!

In other news..... I has the package.... I actually cuddled it at work and then made all my colleagues look at it....

*is bouncy*

Today is weird.... meetings at 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm and another at 2am (which of course should be rated under tomorrow, but as I'm not going to bed first - too much risk of not waking up - I will still call it today)

Is that package anything like the package that had me running out of the greenhouse to meet the UPS truck last week?

- Tad

#14 2017-05-04 12:46:33

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Also, those are even more brutal hours than mine.

- Tad

#15 2017-05-04 12:48:13

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Depends if you want a different phone number for that.
*shrug*

One phone or another is not going to get used much. Makes more sense to use the new one, because it really makes a difference. It does take usable pictures in good light (even good ones in sunlight), it's way, way, way better at phone smarching and really, just better at everything.

If you don't have a use for the old old phone, I'd keep it as an emergency phone if my phone breaks.

#16 2017-05-04 12:49:09

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

Those are waaaaaay too many meetings. I hope the shiny package makes up for those!

#17 2017-05-04 12:53:40

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Depends if you want a different phone number for that.
*shrug*

One phone or another is not going to get used much. Makes more sense to use the new one, because it really makes a difference. It does take usable pictures in good light (even good ones in sunlight), it's way, way, way better at phone smarching and really, just better at everything.

If you don't have a use for the old old phone, I'd keep it as an emergency phone if my phone breaks.

I was thinking, if I do take the new one, I was going to use that one for my private one, and the old one for work.
And yeah, I would prefer to have separate numbers for that.

- Tad

#18 2017-05-04 13:04:25

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Perfectly fine with me :)

You still need a magnifying glass to Smarch on the S4 mini, but a 30% weaker magnifying glass than before. It will also load the page in less than a minute. Usually. If the Smarch server isn't broken again.

#19 2017-05-04 13:14:06

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Well then. Whenever I next get to Vienna... Might be a while, though.

- Tad

#20 2017-05-04 13:18:07

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Need to get my new one first anyway. And yeah, I expect you will be rather travel challenged in May...

#21 2017-05-04 13:33:19

ylvs
Mantis

*plops on comfy seat*

I've actually been a lot on the U-Bahn today. Learned a ton of stuff and now suffer from information overload.
And I bought three dresses during lunchbreak.

Awesome day!

*huggles all and sundry*

#22 2017-05-04 13:35:19

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Cool, ylvs!

I still need to take a picture of my new dress that I bought on Monday. But that would mean getting back on my poor sore feet, so it's not going to happen today.

- Tad

#23 2017-05-04 13:38:59

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Sounds like you are having a good time so far, Ylvs!

Do you have a quiet weekend planned, to rest your feet, Magpie?

#24 2017-05-04 13:50:13

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Sounds like you are having a good time so far, Ylvs!

Do you have a quiet weekend planned, to rest your feet, Magpie?

I won't have much of a weekend... I'll be working Saturday, too. And then Sunday, lunch with LG's grandmother, which also won't be very relaxing...

- Tad

#25 2017-05-04 14:03:48

ylvs
Mantis

Oh, yeah, inlaws when they're still more strangers than family.

*remembers*

After almost 20 years with mine I was sitting in BiL's garden and the whole lot of them were there (about 40 peeps) to celebrate nieces' high school graduation and I suddenly while looking at all of them I realised that those who had been kind of ok then were beloved now and even those I had utterly despised were not a pain anymore. Time does good things, too. Sometimes.

Board footer