Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-08 13:48:37

ylvs
Mantis

Stuttgart moot with Tad 17/10/18 & 19

Who will come to this?

Me very likely but not 100% sure yet.

#2 2017-04-08 14:49:39

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Re: Stuttgart moot with Tad 17/10/18 & 19

I hope Stuttgart happens too.
I will definitely come.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#3 2017-04-09 03:32:58

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I would love to come to all the moots, but I probably can't take that much time off this close to All Saints' Day...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#4 2017-04-09 11:35:13

Olaf
Mantis
Website

No love for Stuttgart?

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#5 2017-07-02 12:37:54

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Most Smarchers have declared their intention to come to Kassel. Anybody still planning to come to Stuttgart?

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#6 2017-07-02 14:47:44

ylvs
Mantis

Me. Not 100% but a very good chance.

#7 2017-10-18 15:47:02

ylvs
Mantis

Ok, time to revive this thread.

Arrived in Stuttgart at three and was greeted on the platform by Olaf. We then headed for the T&D hotel to meet Deb for a short hello. As she had to get ready for the evening Olaf went to get some food and I hired my first rent-a-bike ever to bring my stuff to my air B&B. I managed to not drop my suitcase off the bike (yay) and was back at T&D hotel in 45 minutes, everybody was ready (Deb looking fab in a dark green dress) and we headed over to the bookstore. We hugged Tad hello and then left him with his fans and went for a beer. Sebastian, the Bard of Osten Ard joined us in the book shop and spent the rest of the evening with us - awesome to meet him in person and I am so looking forward to hearing him sing tomorrow night.
At six signing was done and we went to this very fine Italian place and had an uber tasty dinner. Truffles - do I need to say more? And the wine was excellent as well, Montepuliciano ... hhhmmmmmm.
After dinner Olaf left and the rest of us we took a most exhausted Tad (Deb had had a nap and prolly would have been going on chatting and having wine and stuff) back to the hotel. Sebastian left us at S-Bahn and then the hunt for fags made us stroll around the station for a bit ... Tad ended up buying some from a security guy in the station because we could not find an open tobacco place.
After saying goodbye to T&D Lily and I sat on a bench for a while and talked and then headed off in opposite directions to our places.
I met my host who is very nice and now I will soon fall asleep over the keyboard.

More anon ...

#8 2017-10-18 15:50:36

ylvs
Mantis

#9 2017-10-19 10:02:55

ylvs
Mantis

Livestream of Stuttgart reading at 7:30 CET (90 minutes from now) here:

edited to put in the proper vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZENkgJ_AEc

#10 2017-10-19 16:39:41

Olaf
Mantis
Website

For anyone who missed the live-stream, the video is already archived. Just follow Ylvs link. It was a pretty fabulous event!

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#11 2017-10-19 17:49:53

ylvs
Mantis

It was. And apart from my glasses being broken it was another awesomely memorable smarchmoot day. I even managed to get a short TWC Q&A in on the way back to T&D's hotel. More about that once I slept.

#12 2017-10-19 17:51:06

ylvs
Mantis

#13 2017-10-19 21:09:30

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Oh, and this!

That's so awesome!

Sebastian's music is so good. It's great to see him get a small reward!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#14 2017-10-19 21:10:30

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

It was. And apart from my glasses being broken it was another awesomely memorable smarchmoot day. I even managed to get a short TWC Q&A in on the way back to T&D's hotel. More about that once I slept.

Why were you head-butting people?

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#15 2017-10-20 01:24:24

ylvs
Mantis

I weren't, silly! I wanted to take pics of the very beautiful library. As it is my custom ever since age messes with my sight I put the glasses on my head and blam, they fell off and hit the marble floor in an unfortunate angle ... The upside is that I will get new glasses. I had these for since before Daughter2.0 way born, so time for a change.

#16 2017-10-20 02:30:56

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

ylvs wrote:

Not a good moot season for glasses it seems, between yours breaking and Tad leaving his first pair on a plane and forgetting his second pair in the hotel for the Berlin reading.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#17 2017-10-20 06:32:02

ylvs
Mantis

The upside is that this finally makes me get new glasses. Had these for 11 years now and have been wanting new ones for ages. So: yay to new glasses.

#18 2017-10-20 07:48:12

ylvs
Mantis

Second moot day.

Deb and Dog were busy the whole day long so we only met them in the library at 5:30. But since when do we need D&D to have fun? I spent the morning writing about Kassel for ostenard.com and then around noon met Olaf and Lily at the library. we had coffes and chats and then went into the amazing building. Wow. What a thing of beauty. Breaking my glasses while taking pic put me a bit off track but when the optician I went to for lenses gave me a poir for free I was all in a good mood again. and after all: how can the moot mood be bad anyway? *grins*
Back to main station because Lily had sensibly decided to change her train ticket in order to not spend the night on her own until 5am. Change went smoothly and we then had lunch on Königstraße awaiting Sebastian who shortly joined us for spätzle and beer.
Him and I had come up with the idea that I might join him on stage reperforming the song from the other night with him playing to it. So we rehearsed it twice in the sun on Schlossplatz and at least I thought it was good enough. It turned out the peeps running the event disagreed and gave the idea a very polite refuse. and boy, after listening to Sebastian I was so glad they did. I might be alright on my own but not beside someone who is able to send shivers up and down your spine like he does. They spared me an utter embarrassent and I am very grateful for that. Too bad though that I had not thought about asking Olaf to record the rehearsal on Schlossplatz. Silly me.

It goes without saying that a bookshop was visited again, mainly because the new Asterix was out today, but also because Sebastian wanted to enlighten me about Discworld and recommend a good starting point. I had try to get into it via the first novel ages ago and had not succeeded. Everybody seems to agree that that was not a good idea so now I am curious how I will like Mort. Sebastian got Quality Land the new Marc-Uwe-Kling which I had warmly recommended. don’t be fooled by the title: it’s a German book. For those who know the name: much darker than Känguru Chroniken but still very funny.
The reading itself does not need any further telling as you all can watch it if you like.
It took much longer than we all expected so sadly Olaf and Lily had to leave when it was done. Deb, Sebastian and myself stayed and evetually went out foodhunting before Dog was done signing. Which prooved a good idea as the kitchen of the place around the corner we went to had just closed. Alas. Lucky for us they agreed to serve us some antipasti and wine which was all we needed beside the company. It was just five of us, the afore mentioned and Tobias, the master mind behind Dragon Days. We chatted and laughed still engulfed by the high energy of the thing. As always time flew by and we had to stop chatter and laughter all to soon but were all dead on out feet as well. We said goodbye to Tobias and on our way back I finally cornered Dog to talk about TWC but the way was too shot and I could not look at my notes and forgot half of what I had wanted to ask. Alas. I’ll post the things I remembered in another thread …
The Bard of Osten Ard left us at main station and I am very convinced that that was not the last we have seen of the awesome guy.
I had a teary parting with D&D at their hotel door. I lent a bike and rode home. Took me hours to fall asleep.

Now I am almost home. 10 minutes to Kassel.

#19 2017-10-20 08:20:04

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I was very sorry that I had to leave so apruptly, but my friend had waited for me for an hour already and we had another drive of almost an hour ahead of us...

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#20 2017-10-20 08:52:48

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Thank you for the reports and all your tweets, Ylvs!

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#21 2017-10-20 08:58:21

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

ylvs wrote:

Sebastian wanted to enlighten me about Discworld and recommend a good starting point. I had try to get into it via the first novel ages ago and had not succeeded. Everybody seems to agree that that was not a good idea so now I am curious how I will like Mort.

That's still a very, very early Pratchett work. Only around The Truth did he "discover the joys of plot". If you want a pretty much standalone work to see what he's like near his peak (particularly if you discover that Mort doesn't work for you either), I'd strongly recommend Monstrous Regiment. It's not his best work, but it comes close, and there'll be only a few references to regular characters that you'll miss out on.

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#22 2017-10-20 09:10:36

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I am not as intimate with the whole body of work, but I can confirm that the later books are quite different from the earlier ones, in that they feature much stronger plots (though I adored the early books in my youth, just for the sense of humour).

The Feucht von Lipwick books (starting with Going Postal IIRC) might also be a good starting point, as they are late works, yet feature a new set of characters.

If you intend to read in German, I recommend picking something translated by Andreas Brandhorst. None of the other translators can touch his brilliance.

#23 2017-10-20 12:30:24

ylvs
Mantis

Aan`allein wrote:

ylvs wrote:

Sebastian wanted to enlighten me about Discworld and recommend a good starting point. I had try to get into it via the first novel ages ago and had not succeeded. Everybody seems to agree that that was not a good idea so now I am curious how I will like Mort.

That's still a very, very early Pratchett work. Only around The Truth did he "discover the joys of plot". If you want a pretty much standalone work to see what he's like near his peak (particularly if you discover that Mort doesn't work for you either), I'd strongly recommend Monstrous Regiment. It's not his best work, but it comes close, and there'll be only a few references to regular characters that you'll miss out on.

Thanks Aan. Mort was what Sebastian deemed the best try from what they had in the bookstore. The choice wasn't that big ...

#24 2017-10-20 14:46:09

Diorna
Pilgrim

I really loved the music at the Stuttgart reading!!

That said, now a question:
The live stream broke off sometime and when it came back on, I only got a half sentence about 18th Dyn Egypt. I knew Tad was interested in that from early on and loved the stuff he did in Otherland, and I somehow thought, that he was done with it. Apparently not. Can anyone complete that sentence for me? What was that about? Are there any concrete plans or projects?

#25 2017-10-20 15:16:07

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Tad started writing that Egyptian book right after TAILCHASER, but Daw wanted him to continue with fantasy, so Tad wrote MST instead. He later used a lot of that research for OTHERLAND, but there are no plans to go back to that book, even though Tad would love to someday...

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

Board footer