Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-04-02 06:11:35

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM - Master of the Meisterarbeit

Can't do the floors today, because I need to vacuum them first (too much noise) and I can't take care of the dusty surfaces either, because I used all of my rags and microfiber cloths to clean the windows (again, washing is too noisy).

So it's lots of detail work and tidying today. So far I removed all the cobwebs, hopefully getting downrated on spider travel websites. Also cleaned the shower and bathtub.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#52 2017-04-02 08:32:04

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Also cleaned the fridge and the cutlery drawer. I wanted to clean the drawers I use to store food, but those would also benefit a lot from using the vacuum cleaner, so I guess that will be delayed. Shouldn't take long anyway.

Right now I'm in the phase were a lot of stuff gets done, but the apartment looks worse and worse, because random stuff is everywhere while its proper place is cleaned.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#53 2017-04-02 09:30:19

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

*cheers on Peter in his cleaning efforts*

I tried to vote for you on the spider travel sites, but they require eight-legged verification.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#54 2017-04-02 10:38:32

Pandy
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Yeah, I was just kidding, anyway...

NO!  Impossible!

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
"I think Pandiqegabenikananoomookmannaq sounds even better." -Firs
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#55 2017-04-02 10:51:53

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I know, it's not at all like me...

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#56 2017-04-02 10:52:33

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Vacuum cleaners are to noisy? What time was it?

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#57 2017-04-02 10:54:49

Pandy
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

I know, it's not at all like me...

To be honest with you, a remarkable amount of important parts were indeed 3d printed.  Which startled me!

But the frame is aluminum and heavy stress parts are acrylic.  It's kinda cool.

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#58 2017-04-02 10:55:41

Pandy
Pilgrim

Sahi wrote:

It's not the time, it's the fact his Vacuum cleaner is jet powered.

#59 2017-04-02 11:11:27

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Sahi wrote:

Sunday? Not allowed to do noisy work on Sunday. Mowing the lawn, vacuuming, doing laundry. Maybe if I had one of those super silent modern vacuums, but nope, mine is loud as hell (and doesn't do much to balance that out).

#60 2017-04-02 11:32:31

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Then I'd never get my house clean... Glad my neighborhood doesn't have rules like that. (Not to mention the fact that a machine would have to be _really_ noisy for our neighbors to hear...)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#61 2017-04-02 11:38:18

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Well, yeah, if you're alone in your house it's hardly an issue. But in my case those machines are probably louder for my neighbours than they are for me (at least in the apartment below). You can even mow the lawn in a house.

#62 2017-04-02 12:03:24

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Had a lovely long hike with my best friend today - lots of sunshine and flowers.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#63 2017-04-02 12:04:37

Pandy
Pilgrim

Peter,

You are welcome to move into a spare room here.  You can run the vacuum and the washer as much as you want.

#64 2017-04-02 12:40:51

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I'm pretty sure I'd get that kind of deal from my parents as well :D

#65 2017-04-02 12:58:47

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*grins*

Bought a succulent today, echeveria I think. It's tiny and has a stalk with flower bulbs.

Scrollbearer

#66 2017-04-02 13:41:20

Magpie
Mantis
Website

At some point, I have to start sorting through the far-too-many photos I have been taking lately. But maybe if I wait longer, they will sort themselves?

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#67 2017-04-02 14:35:37

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Probably. Works exactly like cleaning.

#68 2017-04-02 15:25:18

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

*drops into mint*

Halloooo....

Weird weekend, had to temporarily move out of the caravan and into the main house, sleep in a kid's bed and be slightly awkward all weekend despite the fact that I now really know these people.... L was really great, but I'm still not the kind of person who will just take stuff out of people's cupboards and such.... or the person that just claims up space....

First night was horrendous.... started with me getting home way later than planned, as stupid colleague, and having a completely silent house await me... and dark.... couldn't find the light switches, so I made a cup of tea and went outside to sit on the ridiculously empty drive to read and just sit.... went to bed silly early for me.... woke up straight up in bed a couple of hours later because I heard something moving in the room, took me a while to remember that the kid has a hamster.... went back to sleep only to wake up again due to one of the other kids having a nightmare.... which she repeated one hour later.... slept in the wrong position, because I didn't want to make the bed creak, so woke up with massively pain shoulders and neck, which continued all of yesterday.....

Last night was okay, only huge headache (from neck) in middle of the night....

Today was nice though....we went to a car boot sale, sat in the gorgeous sunshine having a sausage sarnie there.... went back home and played with bubbles.... and had a nice meal all together....

Now I'm back in the caravan.... and it's really quiet.... hahahahaha....

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#69 2017-04-02 15:48:14

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves at Libra*

That sounds like a stressful weekend!
Any progress on the house of dreams?

#70 2017-04-02 16:47:01

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

The house of dreams will have running water by end of Monday or Tuesday!

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#71 2017-04-02 18:04:52

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Sahi wrote:

*grins*

Bought a succulent today, echeveria I think. It's tiny and has a stalk with flower bulbs.

Some of those echeverias are really beautiful. Enjoy!

#72 2017-04-02 18:08:05

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

*drops into mint*

Halloooo....

Weird weekend, had to temporarily move out of the caravan and into the main house, sleep in a kid's bed and be slightly awkward all weekend despite the fact that I now really know these people.... L was really great, but I'm still not the kind of person who will just take stuff out of people's cupboards and such.... or the person that just claims up space....

First night was horrendous.... started with me getting home way later than planned, as stupid colleague, and having a completely silent house await me... and dark.... couldn't find the light switches, so I made a cup of tea and went outside to sit on the ridiculously empty drive to read and just sit.... went to bed silly early for me.... woke up straight up in bed a couple of hours later because I heard something moving in the room, took me a while to remember that the kid has a hamster.... went back to sleep only to wake up again due to one of the other kids having a nightmare.... which she repeated one hour later.... slept in the wrong position, because I didn't want to make the bed creak, so woke up with massively pain shoulders and neck, which continued all of yesterday.....

Last night was okay, only huge headache (from neck) in middle of the night....

Today was nice though....we went to a car boot sale, sat in the gorgeous sunshine having a sausage sarnie there.... went back home and played with bubbles.... and had a nice meal all together....

Now I'm back in the caravan.... and it's really quiet.... hahahahaha....

So glad you enjoyed your... *googles "sausage sarnie"* ...sausage sandwich and the sunshine! Good luck with the house plans! It all sounds terrific!

#73 2017-04-02 18:28:08

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Hi! I'm still alive. Went to doctor. I don't have bronchitis or pneumonia, but I do have the Flu! There are two strains going around now that aren't in this year's flu shot.

I also have a sinus and upper respiratory infection.

Fortunately, I was within the window for Tamiflu to be effective. So I'm taking a bunch of pills! No work for a few days. Bad timing, but health is priority!

#74 2017-04-02 21:08:50

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Feel better soon, Marian! Flu sucks!

#75 2017-04-02 22:26:48

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Glad it's not something even more serious, Marian. Hope you can recover quickly and that the meds make it a little more bearable!

Board footer