Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-03-20 01:04:35

ylvs
Mantis

Re: QM - The Confetti Palace

Gmaen Mint.

In an all cranky mood today.

*wishes day away*

#52 2017-03-20 01:06:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

*huggles for cranky Ylvs*

What is wrong, my dear?

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#53 2017-03-20 01:27:37

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Maen Mint!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#54 2017-03-20 03:04:44

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*waves*

A wonderful monday morning to you all! *irony on*

#55 2017-03-20 03:26:02

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Well I don't have to work on the project from hell anymore, so it was a lot easier to get out of bed this morning.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#56 2017-03-20 04:03:50

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves good morning*

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#57 2017-03-20 04:31:30

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

I don't know.... the Ghost Hug card was more disturbing... whoever thinks that would be appropriate to send to someone,.. well... I don't know, but they would not be right....

Hunting for a good condolence card is just next to impossible. Either the poem inside is too sappy, or the cover has too many flowers, or the card is too religious, or there's a goofy ghost character on the cover, or something else makes it completely inappropriate. Glad you found a few that would be appropriate, Libra! It's just so hard to find appropriate ones.

There's a whole market there ready to be taken over..... it's near impossible!!

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#58 2017-03-20 05:12:11

Magpie
Mantis
Website

More revisions on the train this morning, and then I sent it off to my advisor when I got to work. Now all that remains is wrestling the formatting into submission. Stupid stubborn empty pages.

Unless of course my advisor asks for any more changes.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#59 2017-03-20 05:25:44

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Magpie wrote:

More revisions on the train this morning, and then I sent it off to my advisor when I got to work. Now all that remains is wrestling the formatting into submission. Stupid stubborn empty pages.

Unless of course my advisor asks for any more changes.

How are you putting the tables and images in? Are you doing the images as pictures? In that case, right click on the picture, choose for "wrap text" and then choose for "square". This will make your pictures more manageable and allow you to put them wherever you want them.

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#60 2017-03-20 05:32:31

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

As I said, I'm happy to help you with formatting, but you should make sure to be on exactly the same version of the software or we might not get good results (of course I can also make the PDF for you, that should be fairly safe).

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#61 2017-03-20 06:01:54

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Good maen! Also cranky. Mondays, man.

#62 2017-03-20 06:03:28

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*bounces through passing round happy memories*

I'm working on a new Duchess site during work hours. :)

Scrollbearer

#63 2017-03-20 06:10:21

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

I could see the ghost card going over either really well or really poorly.. Because on one hand, thank you for not sending another generic "sorry for your loss" type card and for trying to inject some humor. I do agree it's probably not appropriate for most things, but it could work for some people/situations.

So obviously, I survived my road trip. Turns out it wasn't to RI, but to juuuuuuust north of RI, somewhere between Worcester, MA and the border. And we had a small change of plans partway out there. Father-in-law is borrowing his friend's camper so he can stay in it at a camp site rather than spend all his per diem on hotels, so he was driving this camper out there. Well the entry door had a slight issue, in that it decided to "spontaneously delaminate" while going 70mph down the thruway. Somehow it cracked about halfway up, and the bottom half of the door just... whoosh... left. So we had to stop to revise plans a bit, we ended up going to an RV dealer not too far away from where the campsite was and dropping it off there before heading to the hotel.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#64 2017-03-20 06:21:33

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I think ghost hug cards are entirely appropriate if you write them for your own passing.

#65 2017-03-20 06:36:17

Sahi
Mantis
Website

That's quite an awesome idea, Peter!

Scrollbearer

#66 2017-03-20 06:39:43

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

It's a bit of a hassle though.
"Damn, I'm going to die tomorrow, better shop for cards!"
As if dying weren't stressful enough...

#67 2017-03-20 07:29:06

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Sahi wrote:

That's quite an awesome idea, Peter!

I agree. :D

#68 2017-03-20 07:33:58

Merenwen
Pilgrim

In other news, we are going to the cinema tonight again. It is Beauty and the Beast this time, although I am disappointed that they dubbed the songs. Our cinema unfortunately doesn't offer the movies in original language.

#69 2017-03-20 07:41:55

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Ugh, never has that cartoon about the comparison between drawing tutorials and coding tutorials felt as apt as right now. 'And that's how you generate your theme!' Great, but now where do I leave it in the rest of my project and which bits do I need to add to make it look like something?

Scrollbearer

#70 2017-03-20 07:44:27

Merenwen
Pilgrim

And my sister keeps distracting me from work by sending me pictures of the new Mass Effect and its "masterful" animations and bugs. We would be laughing if this wasn't so sad.

Really, this game seems so badly developed again, it is a cheek to sell it for the full price.

Imagine books were sold like this: Well, we didn't manage to finish and correct the manuscript in time, so you get half the book with typos and missing pages (for the full price of course), and we deliver the missing content and corrections in addition, let's say in a few months...

It is not that I wanted to buy this game, but I really don't like this trend in the gaming industry right now. It gets worse and worse. In the past, they finished the games before releasing them.

#71 2017-03-20 07:51:54

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Also, I have nothing to do anymore, but I still have to stay at work for at least two more hours...

*looks for something to eat*

*finds a banana*

*watches random stuff online*

#72 2017-03-20 08:46:29

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves at Merenwen*

I've heard mixed things about the new Mass Effect so far. Lots of complaints about the animations, but gameplay seems ok? Definitely waiting for more reviews. And benchmarks, because I doubt it will work well on my video card.

I would not call Mass Effect 3 unfinished, however. They made some bad calls on the ending, but it was still solid as shipped. Some games have been shipping with extremely shoddy ports on PC in recent years, such as Dishonored 2 or Batman: Arkham Knight. Basically those games were unplayable at release, even on high end PCs. Never fixed Arkham Knight and Dishonored 2 still requires very fast hardware, though it seems in playable shape now.

#73 2017-03-20 09:06:23

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*waves back*

As far as I have heard, people seem to enjoy the story and gameplay nevertheless, but there are a lot of weird bugs and animation fails that can easily ruin a serious scene or dialogue... I don't know enough to go into details, but the things I have seen were ridiculous.

And I didn't mean ME3 when I ranted about unfinished games nowadays - I have seen the first ending version and thought it wasn't that bad actually -, it is just a general observation, mostly in terms of gameplay and bug fixes. You know, when I wanted to try out Witcher 3 for example because everyone said what a "masterpiece" this game is, I couldn't even play it on my PS4 when it came out because it was full of bugs. Even the first patch was full of bugs! Fortunately I just rented it - I brought it back the same day and never touched it again. The same goes for other big titles.

#74 2017-03-20 09:46:03

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I played Witcher 3 on a fairly early patch on PC and it was fine. Don't think it was 1.0 though, but one or two patches down the line, partially because I had to upgrade my video card first. I did get stuck in the ground a couple times and things like that, but those kind of bugs are really hard to avoid.

I really don't know how prevalent those bad animations are in ME:A. Some are totally ridiculous, so if those problems are common, it would affect the game. If they are rare, it's probably not a problem. I've definitely played my share of games that would have needed another month or three.

#75 2017-03-20 10:21:32

Pandy
Pilgrim

Maen Mint!

this weekend was interesting. got food poisoning, replaced a toilet (not related, those two), looked at flooring, and drove my bus around. It was fun!

I will be getting ME:A because all of the ME and BioWare games have been buggy.  Nothing I have seen suggests it's a bad game. 

I'll play it and then decide.  I mean, if I can't be chased away by the horrid ending of ME3...

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
"I think Pandiqegabenikananoomookmannaq sounds even better." -Firs
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

Board footer