Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-18 14:59:16

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

QM - The Confetti Palace

You wonder in and are immediately covered in tons and tons of confetti.... in all shapes and coloours...
Several special trebuchets are lined up along the wall on either sides, ready for firing upon any guest....

The cake-bar is yonder (yes, through the line of trebuchets).... and right besides it is the drink table....

Welcome to the Confetti palace!!!

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#2 2017-03-18 15:01:23

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM - The Confetti Palace

No leaving this place without glitter all over your clothing, I guess...

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#3 2017-03-18 15:04:20

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

So this is what really happened to the garden. No unbeing, no great ships to flee on. Just a mantis with a flamethrower and it's all over...

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#4 2017-03-18 15:06:37

Mantis

I'm afraid we'll be cleaning up the glitter for the next coming months....

*looks around*

Better than dustbunnies I suppose...

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#5 2017-03-18 15:15:42

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I'm sure it burns just fine... Only need to worry about the little bit we carry on our contaminated clothes.

#6 2017-03-18 15:29:20

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*peeks in* learned how to crochet properly today. Now I just have to remember it!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#7 2017-03-18 20:18:22

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

So this is what really happened to the garden. No unbeing, no great ships to flee on. Just a mantis with a flamethrower and it's all over...

Haha!

But it behooves me to say this: Alas, my children. We are unhomed once more! Our homeland was burned by those who have caused our Undoing, and we cannot ever return there.

*steeples hands wisely, then drowns in a pile of glitter*

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#8 2017-03-19 06:10:36

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I see we have a case of severe Sunday morning message board deadness.
*slumps in a corner*

#9 2017-03-19 06:23:09

Mantis

*waves at Peter*

Doing the big cleaning.....

I wish I had some more house-maid type genes, it would be so much easier to clean if I did this really regularly, so when I clean it wouldn't be all the things....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#10 2017-03-19 06:32:02

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Yeah... Habitica helped me a lot. There are things I do every day now, like sweep and clean the counters, which go a long way. And cleaning the bathroom once a week, and changing sheets, which shouldn't feel like such an accomplishment but they do!

#11 2017-03-19 06:40:56

Mantis

Living in a caravan really doesn't make you want to clean.... everything is complicated, bending into curves to get to places etc.....

I can't wait to  be in the annex.... think my cleaning skills will suddenly be much better as well!

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#12 2017-03-19 06:57:20

Mantis

Bathroom up next.... which is the worst.... have already cleaned the toilet which take about 45 minutes due to the gross pink stuff that seems to seep into every nook and cranny...

Seriously, you would think someone would make sure caravans are easy to clean, instead of creating 50 million ridges all over the place!

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#13 2017-03-19 08:24:51

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Yeah, you would!

#14 2017-03-19 08:25:32

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

I put off laundry all weekend and am trying to make myself do it now.

#15 2017-03-19 09:27:36

Mantis

All cleaned and I've been to MaccieD with C and got their new iron!

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#16 2017-03-19 10:22:59

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Back home for the (hopefully) last bits of work on my Meisterarbeit. Some more revisions to the last part, and then finally the new plans. And then I hope I can call it done.

Peter, would you mind reading the new-and-improved version through again? Or anyone else?

Tomorrow, I'll have to remember to call the printer I found over in Linz, to ask if they also do fold-out pages, and if that'll take longer to print/bind, since their website doesn't say anything about that. Otherwise, there's still an online place that definitely does offer it. But I would feel better if it was a local place where, if it takes longer than expected, I can go and ask if they are done yet. And maybe pick the finished thing up myself instead of risking it getting lost in the mail.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#17 2017-03-19 10:30:56

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Send it over any time :)

#18 2017-03-19 10:37:58

Mantis

Yeah you can send it over to me as well.... I won't be able to tell you wrongs and rights with regarding to spelling and such, but can read it for a more general idea?!

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#19 2017-03-19 11:07:10

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I have rewritten that last part, about profitability, so many times in the last few days... Found some more stuff about it that we covered in class, and I think I actually understand it now. (And also the part that my advisor wanted me to add helped too.)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#20 2017-03-19 11:31:35

ylvs
Mantis

When reading the first draft I found that I had no useful input content wise (and iirc I did not even say anything) other than I liked it well enough and that everything sounded sensible. So if you wnat it to be read for style and typos and stuff I'd surely do it.

#21 2017-03-19 12:21:13

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I'd appreciate that, ylvs.

Got sidetracked trying to get rid of those stupid empty pages, and temporarily got them to disappear, but now they're back, and I don't know how or why. Enough with that now.

I'll send you the new and improved thing, and then go work on the plans, and then wrestle with the empty pages again.

I also looked at the writing guide again, and it says I should write a 1-2 page summary at the end. Not sure I have the brain for that any more today...

- Tad

#22 2017-03-19 12:26:56

Magpie
Mantis
Website

And sent!

Oh, and Ylvs and Peter especially, can you check if I've used the male and female forms of words everywhere? Since we have to use gender-neutral language... if you can even call it that in German...

- Tad

#23 2017-03-19 14:17:56

ylvs
Mantis

And there you have it back. You should proudly present this. It's sound and well done I think. Of course I did not check the numbers ...

There was one instance wher you didn't use the genderneutral word. I marked that.

I hope you're already calmed down a bit ...

#24 2017-03-19 14:40:09

Mantis

You've got mine back as well.... I put a couple of comments in, mostly general formatting (which might only be because I'm looking at it with a different program!)

*hug*

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#25 2017-03-19 15:01:17

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Magpie wrote:

And sent!

Oh, and Ylvs and Peter especially, can you check if I've used the male and female forms of words everywhere? Since we have to use gender-neutral language... if you can even call it that in German...

Oops. Didn't read that. I don't think these really impact my brain, so I wouldn't notice...

Sent you feedback about everything else. The profitability part looks a lot better, but it's still by far the shakiest aspect. I did not go through all of your numbers, though they mostly seem to make sense. Methods aren't always transparent though.

Board footer