Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-03-10 12:46:24

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: QM - The Lost Garden

ylvs wrote:

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

I would like to see this Kassel, with its trees and fairytales.

And I sooooooooooooooooooooo want to show you around.

The way you describe it, it does sound pretty amazing. A 1,000-year-old city, covered in beautiful trees, dotted with castles and named after them...

But there are no blueberry muffins? Hmmm.... That is a setback.

I was in Berlin for five days in 2001. Huge city, as you know. It was completely overwhelming. I didn't speak the language, so that was intimidating. And on the tram, the names of the stops were called out over the intercom, but they all sounded like, "Waa-waa-waa" to me, so I got hopelessly lost. German food is really great, though. But every time I think of revisiting Germany, I feel very intimidated. People in Berlin, at least, seem very unfriendly. That was my impression. I mean, if you even said hello or smile at someone, they would avoid eye contact and walk the other way. And even in the shops, you are there strictly to buy, not talk with anyone at all. I felt tiny, tiny, tiny when I was there. The size of an ant. And an ant who didn't understand anything and who couldn't find its way anywhere.

But the bread was baked fresh daily, I was assured. This was given huge importance. I couldn't understand how such importance was given to bread when it was impossible to get anywhere without hours of wandering. Culture shock!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#52 2017-03-10 12:50:36

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*sigh*

I want to go somewhere and visit some Smarchers.
Or have some Smarchers visit me.
I miss you all so much.
The summer is too far away.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#53 2017-03-10 12:58:46

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

But the bread was baked fresh daily, I was assured. This was given huge importance. I couldn't understand how such importance was given to bread when it was impossible to get anywhere without hours of wandering. Culture shock!

Well you wouldn't want stale bread at the end of your wandering, would you?

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#54 2017-03-10 13:02:28

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Yay Libra, you rockstar!

#55 2017-03-10 13:04:23

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

Well you wouldn't want stale bread at the end of your wandering, would you?

I would take day-old bread if it meant a little less wandering, or finding anyone helpful.

It was just a culture shock, that is all. I was not prepared for this, because I had no problem at all finding helpful, friendly people even in London, Calais, and Amsterdam, and continued to experience friendly, helpful people in Malmo (where I lost my wallet and train tickets and even got them back), Gothenburg, Stockholm, and Helsinki.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#56 2017-03-10 13:11:17

ylvs
Mantis

ylvs wrote:

I would like to see this Kassel, with its trees and fairytales.

And I sooooooooooooooooooooo want to show you around.

The way you describe it, it does sound pretty amazing. A 1,000-year-old city, covered in beautiful trees, dotted with castles and named after them...

Of course there are blueberry muffins in Kassel. Just not regulary in my house like coffee is.

Tsk.

#57 2017-03-10 13:11:18

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

I was in Berlin for five days in 2001. Huge city, as you know. It was completely overwhelming. I didn't speak the language, so that was intimidating. And on the tram, the names of the stops were called out over the intercom, but they all sounded like, "Waa-waa-waa" to me, so I got hopelessly lost. German food is really great, though. But every time I think of revisiting Germany, I feel very intimidated. People in Berlin, at least, seem very unfriendly. That was my impression. I mean, if you even said hello or smile at someone, they would avoid eye contact and walk the other way. And even in the shops, you are there strictly to buy, not talk with anyone at all. I felt tiny, tiny, tiny when I was there. The size of an ant. And an ant who didn't understand anything and who couldn't find its way anywhere.

Firs, it was ill luck for you to visited Berlin first off all German cities. The people there are famous all over our lovely country for their foul mood - which is especially true for the sales persons (T.T)
But there is one true thing : there is nothing more holy than freshly baked bread ;-)

#58 2017-03-10 13:15:16

ylvs
Mantis

Indeed Berlin peeps are famous for their nastiness. Followed by Kasseläner which is luckily not as broadly known. You'd all be good though, you have me.

And I did not hear what you said about stale bread, Firs. Heresy.

#59 2017-03-10 13:21:49

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kia wrote:

Firs, it was ill luck for you to visited Berlin first off all German cities. The people there are famous all over our lovely country for their foul mood - which is especially true for the sales persons (T.T)
But there is one true thing : there is nothing more holy than freshly baked bread ;-)

Well, it does make sense that people in the biggest city would be more... brusque. Unfortunately, although I had planned to visit the countryside, there turned out to be not enough time for that, outside of one night in a Biergarten somewhere outside of Berlin (I couldn't say where, except that that area had a lot of lakes and forests), so I really only have Berlin for a reference.

And I know you can't realistically judge a country (or even a city) from spending only five days there. So, I try to keep an open mind... but it is intimidating to even think of visiting Germany again. Still, a slightly smaller area such as Kassel just sounds really inviting.

#60 2017-03-10 13:24:56

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Indeed Berlin peeps are famous for their nastiness. Followed by Kasseläner which is luckily not as broadly known. You'd all be good though, you have me.

Well, an Ylvs-guide would be extremely useful, for sure!

And I did not hear what you said about stale bread, Firs. Heresy.

*says three Hail Marys* Forgiven?

#61 2017-03-10 13:26:48

ylvs
Mantis

Always.

#62 2017-03-10 13:43:48

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

If Germany has a whole turns out to be too imitiating, just think on the small good things: the German smarchers, Biergardens and off course the holy bread. And do not forget fun sports like 'Boßeln' (^_____^)

Last edited by Kia (2017-03-10 13:44:10)

#63 2017-03-10 13:53:54

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Congratulations, Libra!

Sounds like a fabulous start to 2017!

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#64 2017-03-10 13:57:58

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I suspect Vienna would be much the same as Berlin. Not that I've ever been to Berlin. We are a grumpy and unfriendly bunch though.

And I had never heard of Boßeln. It sounds like Kegeln, you just forgot the Kegel...

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#65 2017-03-10 14:28:29

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Well, it is like outdoor-kegeln...without Kegel. Similiar to Boccia.

I'm finally HOME! *collapses on her soft bed* Thank for travelling with Deutsche Bahn...ufff

#66 2017-03-10 14:44:47

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Welcome back :)

#67 2017-03-10 14:55:18

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kia wrote:

If Germany has a whole turns out to be too imitiating, just think on the small good things: the German smarchers, Biergardens and off course the holy bread.

The holy bread (made fresh daily) is good, but I still do not understand the fuss. Smarchers, of course, are a huge lure.

And do not forget fun sports like 'Boßeln' (^_____^)

*Looks up "Boßeln"* I have never heard of this road-bowling thing, and it would not draw me to Germany, unlike Smarchers, castles everywhere, fairy-tale capitals of the world, and 1000 years of history.

#68 2017-03-10 15:05:44

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I had a bath and some stale cookies, which were a poor substitute for blueberry muffins.

Now, which would be the more responsible choice: to go to bed early-ish, or to work on my Meisterarbeit a bit more? Or at least on the calculations I apparently also have to make. Or rather, calculations in preparation for the calculations I really have to make. Because apparently I should calculate what some of our plants cost us to grow, and to do that I need to know such things as average labour cost per hour (and also how much of our time we actually spend growing plants, and how much we spend on other things, and I have no clue, and no real way to find out, I can only guess) and overhead costs per square metre per day...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#69 2017-03-10 15:25:29

ylvs
Mantis

It's 1101 year if history actually.
*grins*
And I have neverever heard of Bosseln before. And I snobbily call boccia Pétanque.
And if you decide on working on the Meisterarbeit make educated guesses of the things you don't know, be transparent about it and use those figures.
It's a theoretical work for the time being, right?
*hugs*

#70 2017-03-10 15:52:16

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

It's 1101 year if history actually.

Well, that extra 101 years is even more impressive!

And I have neverever heard of Bosseln before. And I snobbily call boccia Pétanque.

Oh, we know Petanque here. But it doesn't seem quite the same to road-bowling, which my google-fu is telling me is Bosseln. Petanque is played on dirt or gravel in a squared-off area, not a paved road.

(Although admittedly when we were kids, we played Petanque with croquet balls on the grass, which must be some kind of official Petanque rules violation).

#71 2017-03-10 16:24:42

Pandy
Pilgrim

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

Never had such a review.... words like phenomenal and awesome were used....

I am pretty sure there are a bunch of people here who completely agree.

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
"I think Pandiqegabenikananoomookmannaq sounds even better." -Firs
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#72 2017-03-10 16:25:18

Pandy
Pilgrim

Kia wrote:

Gmaen mint!

passing Kassel at this very moment on my way home from Munich *waves out of the train window*

Is this the Kassel run?  How many parsecs?

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
"I think Pandiqegabenikananoomookmannaq sounds even better." -Firs
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#73 2017-03-10 16:29:58

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

I suspect Vienna would be much the same as Berlin. Not that I've ever been to Berlin. We are a grumpy and unfriendly bunch though.

I would like to see Wien; so much history there, too!

#74 2017-03-10 17:13:46

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Weekend! Waiting to hear if we're helping father-in-law to take camper out to his work site.. Wasn't supposed to happen until April, but husband said something about it being this weekend?? So we'll see!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#75 2017-03-10 23:49:49

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Going hiking today.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

Board footer