Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.


You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-27 10:48:03

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23117
Website

The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

I saw a thread for HOWWL, but not one for TWC. So here is one.

DAW has been sending out ARCs. Here's the first mention of an ARC I could find, outside of the copies sent to proofing peeps.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#2 2017-02-27 12:25:07

Kenan
Pilgrim
From: Gothenburg, Sweden
Registered: 2005-06-19
Posts: 8757
Website

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

*runs around the room with his hands covering ears singing loudly : LALALALAA*

*alternates with crouching low, hands still over ears, whimpering "not listening, I'm not listening"*


Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

 

#3 2017-02-27 12:39:25

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23117
Website

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

Don't worry, Kenan. There's no spoilers in that link. It's just a picture of the cover.

...Or are you not listening to the cover???


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#4 2017-02-27 22:09:07

Kenan
Pilgrim
From: Gothenburg, Sweden
Registered: 2005-06-19
Posts: 8757
Website

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

I don't want to read any reviews either... I don't want to get too many preconceptions.
But I'll happy to know if there are many good reviews out there. I did click on your link and saw something about exploding heads, so I deduced this novel is about the Norns spreading some kind of violent virus through the dream road.


Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

 

#5 2017-02-27 22:16:35

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23117
Website

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

Ooh, well-guessed!


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#6 2017-03-16 13:16:38

pennywit
Pilgrim
Registered: 2013-11-20
Posts: 38

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

Kenan wrote:

so I deduced this novel is about the Norns spreading some kind of violent virus through the dream road.

Funny story.  Simon chose the red pill.

 

#7 2017-03-16 13:45:30

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23117
Website

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

Isn't Simon a dreamer? Wouldn't the blue pill be more appropriate?


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#8 2017-04-14 10:06:59

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13270

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

New interview with Tad by Pat.

Reminds me of another interview I have finally given up hope to ever see ...


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#9 2017-04-14 11:21:27

Olaf
Mantis
From: Germany
Registered: 2001-07-16
Posts: 4907
Website

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

ylvs beat me to it.


Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

 

#10 2017-04-14 12:57:16

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23117
Website

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

ylvs wrote:

Reminds me of another interview I have finally given up hope to ever see ...

You will see it soon! :)


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#11 2017-04-18 21:08:08

ajl3
Pilgrim
Registered: 2017-02-14
Posts: 361

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

We must have missed this review, from March 22nd. Small spoilers in the second-to-last-paragraph (nothing you can't guess from reading the chapter list, but if you want to stay clean don't read that paragraph): http://www.unicornpara.de/2017/03/22/ha … ood-crown/

Very positive and I liked hearing about the blogger's personal connection to reading the original trilogy.

Last edited by ajl3 (2017-04-18 21:09:37)

 

#12 2017-04-19 15:14:23

ajl3
Pilgrim
Registered: 2017-02-14
Posts: 361

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

Kirkus Reviews has given Witchwood Crown the Kirkus Star, for highest rated releases. I didn't link it here because the short review manages to inadvertently spoil the gosh darn Afterword with two or three poorly placed descriptors and there's one plot line that sounds like it should not have been mentioned (involving the Hern, for those who read the book already) but in sum: they called it a possible new classic of fantasy that builds well on Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn.

Last edited by ajl3 (2017-04-19 15:15:00)

 

#13 2017-04-19 23:55:13

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13270

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

I am so glad to read positive reviews because at westeros.org Pat from Pat's Fantasy Hotlist is really hating it. Calls it bloated and boring and has put it down for the time being because he does not want to give a bad review as he is friends with Tad and Deb. He calls it Tad's weakest book. When I read his comments I have the impression he is talking about another book ...


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#14 2017-04-20 11:08:03

Olaf
Mantis
From: Germany
Registered: 2001-07-16
Posts: 4907
Website

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

I have updated Tad´s website with the reviews.


Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

 

#15 2017-05-01 23:21:13

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13270

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

Here's my completely spoilerfree review. I kinda liked it.

BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAA.


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#16 2017-05-01 23:36:18

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23117
Website

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

ylvs wrote:

Here's my completely spoilerfree review. I kinda liked it.

BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAA.

*like*


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#17 2017-05-02 02:23:01

Kia
Pilgrim
From: Germany
Registered: 2014-06-08
Posts: 1040
Website

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

great review, ylvs! I'm quite sure it was a pain to keep it spoilerfree *giggle*

 

#18 2017-05-02 02:32:34

Merenwen
Pilgrim
From: Germany
Registered: 2014-05-12
Posts: 2240

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

ylvs wrote:

Here's my completely spoilerfree review. I kinda liked it.

BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAA.

That is a good review. I hope I will be as excited and happy about it as you are when I finally get the book in my hands.

 

#19 2017-05-02 14:20:24

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13270

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

Merenwen, I soo do hope you all will!


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#20 2017-05-02 14:37:07

ajl3
Pilgrim
Registered: 2017-02-14
Posts: 361

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

If you are signed up with Penguin's First to Read, check your e-mails; I was one of the 100 randomly selected to read and got the e-mail around midnight. Just started this morning and am 30 pages in despite insisting I would only read the short prologue due to being busy.

The pacing is actually quite fast for Tad, I would say - not necessarily with action but plenty of plots and characters being established in the opening chapters. About as fast as Shadowmarch Vol. 1, but without the confusion that one sometimes gave me due to all the history/multiple POVs within the early chapters. I wish I had more time to read, because the descriptions and the bits of humor are great.

 

#21 2017-05-02 18:34:50

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23117
Website

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

ajl3 wrote:

If you are signed up with Penguin's First to Read, check your e-mails; I was one of the 100 randomly selected to read and got the e-mail around midnight. Just started this morning and am 30 pages in despite insisting I would only read the short prologue due to being busy.

The pacing is actually quite fast for Tad, I would say - not necessarily with action but plenty of plots and characters being established in the opening chapters. About as fast as Shadowmarch Vol. 1, but without the confusion that one sometimes gave me due to all the history/multiple POVs within the early chapters. I wish I had more time to read, because the descriptions and the bits of humor are great.

So glad you got selected, Ajl3! And that you are enjoying the book. As you say, there are lots of new plots. (And, I think you'll notice, many homages to GOT).


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#22 2017-05-03 03:23:35

Sahi
Mantis
From: Assendelft (the Netherlands)
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 44722
Website

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

Guess I never put up a link to my own short review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1 … _115537407


"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

 

#23 2017-05-03 18:30:54

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23117
Website

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

Sahi wrote:

Guess I never put up a link to my own short review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1 … _115537407

Yay!


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#24 2017-05-04 14:33:17

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13270

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

*plants huggle trap for Charlotte*


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#25 2017-05-04 19:52:48

ajl3
Pilgrim
Registered: 2017-02-14
Posts: 361

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS


I'm surprised how quickly I'm going through this. Tad's books can take me longer than usual due to density and/or names (and wanting to soak in foreshadowing) but I'm closing in on page 300 after only a few days. It definitely maintains some of that sadness (melancholy, I would better call it) of To Green Angel Tower and Heart of What Was Lost, but is capable of bringing in romantic gestures, cool fights, or funny gags (actually I've laughed a good bit.)

The giant is great. The description and culture of Nakkiga is great (the Queen's chamber and what she has on the walls stands out for me). The female Norn POV is great. Plenty of mysterious things going on and mysteries introduced, plus extra details about past trilogy mysteries.

Unless something goes seriously wrong writing wise in the second half (all indications are reverse of that) this is a seriously fantastic book, but maybe more so for fans. The biggest problem will be waiting 2 years for Book 2 as I can't wait for a lot of these characters to meet up.


TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS TWC SPOILERS

Last edited by Firsfron of Ronchester (2017-05-04 21:09:19)

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB