Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-02-25 10:35:29

ylvs
Mantis

Re: QM - Spring Storm

You're very welcome, Pandy.
See? And because this is such an outrageous thing that happend to Firs I referred to it with a swear word. Sometimes they are justified.

#52 2017-02-25 10:50:56

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

My brain feels extra slow today, and I am also feeling clumsy as a result. Survived breakfast & errands with minimal casualties (knocked my (empty) water glass over, almost got ketchup on my poncho, broke the zipper pull thing on my wallet (again)). So... I'm just going to sit here on the couch, and find something to watch for a couple hours... lol

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#53 2017-02-25 10:52:19

Pandy
Pilgrim

Swear words are indeed sentence enhancers.  I am just not used to it here.  Is it because Tad went blue in the Dollar books? I just keep reading the header to the boards.

And thank goodness Bobby isn't Canadian. He'd be Bobby Loonie.

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
"I think Pandiqegabenikananoomookmannaq sounds even better." -Firs
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#54 2017-02-25 10:53:45

Pandy
Pilgrim

Ad1tu wrote:

My brain feels extra slow today, and I am also feeling clumsy as a result. Survived breakfast & errands with minimal casualties (knocked my (empty) water glass over, almost got ketchup on my poncho, broke the zipper pull thing on my wallet (again)). So... I'm just going to sit here on the couch, and find something to watch for a couple hours... lol

My goodness!  You just described how I usually eat. FOOD GOES IN THE DIRECTION OF MY FACE HOLE! IF NOT THERE, THE FLOOR AND MY SHIRT IS FINE.

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#55 2017-02-25 11:17:42

ylvs
Mantis

Just start the weekend slowly, Ad1tu!.

#56 2017-02-25 11:49:50

Pandy
Pilgrim

If you decide to move, and WA comes up on your radar, we got space. You are welcome here.

higheredjobsonline, man.  That's how we went from Ohio to Washington.

#57 2017-02-25 11:52:40

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Thanks, man. I appreciate it.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#58 2017-02-25 12:41:57

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Okay, two more map issues addressed, now it's time for lunch.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#59 2017-02-25 13:15:23

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

It started, innocently enough, with a building renumbering plan.

At BW (undergrad) and UB (grad) every building had it's own numbering internally, so there were lots of rooms 100, 101, 102, etc. BUT the schedules ALWAYS referred to the building name + room number. ALWAYS. It was sometimes confusing in the connected buildings, because you forget which building you were really in. Example: At BW, there were 2 connected music building, Merner-Pfeiffer and Kulas, and both had classrooms on the 2nd & 3rd floors. So if you had harmony class in the music building, lots of freshman would be on the wrong side. But, it took all of 2 minutes to get to the other side, so it wasn't a terrible inconvenience. But that's what we were used to. We learned the system easy enough, and literally everyone I saw who had some new kid ask them where something was located was nothing but helpful. But changing up something that works? What happened to, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." ?

Also, to go back to something else you said, hiring on favorites like that and admin staff circling in and out so frequently is such a huge red flag. No wonder lots of other faculty and staff left.

And out of curiosity... if you have no 300 or 400 level classes, how do kids graduate? Is that just for certain programs or campus-wide?

It does make me really happy to see that you are still helping out your students where you can. You are the kind of teacher that makes a huge impact on the kids because you obviously care about them. Not that the others don't, but when you see someone go out of their way, it's very inspirational. I know you don't want to leave them, and that has to make job-hunting even harder, but I really hope you find somewhere better soon, for your own peace of mind. *hugs*

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#60 2017-02-25 14:19:19

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Who owns the institution? Do they have some ties to the administration that explain their unwillingness to remove them?

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#61 2017-02-25 14:29:10

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Usually such a thing only happens if either the state doesn't care, or if they know someone in the state who likes them (or gets some other, more sinister benefits).

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#62 2017-02-25 14:42:32

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I don't disagree.

How are things in Austria? How is your back today?

#63 2017-02-25 14:51:54

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

Today, my mother, grandmother, aunt and uncle came to visit, and I learned something that I found quite funny. We were talking about the chain of improbable and yet entire logical things that led to me being in the acknowledgements of HOWWL, and my mother said, “Well, that was a good recommendation from Mrs (whatever her name was).”

So, long background story, but I promise that it leads back to Tad.

So, my brothers and I all went to the same kindergarten. Me, the oldest, because it was the closest one to our place then. Then my one brother was the first child with disabilities to go there, and I vaguely remember someone writing a paper about that, and my other brother went there even though we didn't live in the area any more, because my parents (or my mother in particular) liked it that much.

And so many things in our lives keep connecting back to that place.

My mother kept in touch with the staff there even when none of us kids went there any more. My mother is a trained masseuse, and still does it a bit on the side, and some of the kindergarten staff were among her regular customers, as well as the grandparents of one of the girls I was friends with at kindergarten.

For a while, we rented a garden from the parents of a boy I was also friends with, and I think they were also the couple my parents later sold their house to.

Then at some point, they got the budget to hire another person, and immediately offered the job to my mother, who happened to be looking for a job then.

And now Squirrel goes there as well.

And what does all of this have to do with Tad? Today I learned that one of the children who are there now - is the grandchild of the librarian who recommended MST to my mother when she was looking for books for me.

So my mother might get the chance to tell her the story, of how her book recommendation ended up changing my life so much.

(Hm. Maybe I should translate my fairy tale into German and have my mother give it to her?)

This is such a neat story. One of those things where you realize how much small communities have that "the uncle of my cousin's friend is the shopkeeper who lives next door to me, and mentioned this newspaper article which got me the job that years later made me decide to donate my kidney to my neighbor's cousin's uncle, and the surgeon just happened to be the shopkeeper's sister"-type vibe.

#64 2017-02-25 15:44:49

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

hello! Not much to say that wouldn't be whiny and complaining. And I don't have the energy to whine and complain, right now. but I didn't want to stop by and read without saying hello.

#65 2017-02-25 15:57:39

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

*waves to the good Maid Marian*

#66 2017-02-25 17:01:50

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Magpie wrote:

Today, my mother, grandmother, aunt and uncle came to visit, and I learned something that I found quite funny. We were talking about the chain of improbable and yet entire logical things that led to me being in the acknowledgements of HOWWL, and my mother said, “Well, that was a good recommendation from Mrs (whatever her name was).”

So, my brothers and I all went to the same kindergarten. Me, the oldest, because it was the closest one to our place then. Then my one brother was the first child with disabilities to go there, and I vaguely remember someone writing a paper about that, and my other brother went there even though we didn't live in the area any more, because my parents (or my mother in particular) liked it that much.

My mother kept in touch with the staff there even when none of us kids went there any more. My mother is a trained masseuse, and still does it a bit on the side, and some of the kindergarten staff were among her regular customers, as well as the grandparents of one of the girls I was friends with at kindergarten.

For a while, we rented a garden from the parents of a boy I was also friends with, and I think they were also the couple my parents later sold their house to.

Then at some point, they got the budget to hire another person, and immediately offered the job to my mother, who happened to be looking for a job then.

And what does all of this have to do with Tad? Today I learned that one of the children who are there now - is the grandchild of the librarian who recommended MST to my mother when she was looking for books for me.

So my mother might get the chance to tell her the story, of how her book recommendation ended up changing my life so much.

(Hm. Maybe I should translate my fairy tale into German and have my mother give it to her?)

Ohhhh yes yes you should.... I myself would find it amazing to know that a book recommendation had such an effect on someone!!!

Hug!

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#67 2017-02-25 17:06:14

Mantis

Magpie wrote:

This is such a neat story. One of those things where you realize how much small communities have that "the uncle of my cousin's friend is the shopkeeper who lives next door to me, and mentioned this newspaper article which got me the job that years later made me decide to donate my kidney to my neighbor's cousin's uncle, and the surgeon just happened to be the shopkeeper's sister"-type vibe.

You are one of those people as well, Firs.... teachers have such an impact and you, with your actual caring for your students (on your not-students), probably have this kind of impact very often....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#68 2017-02-25 17:42:28

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I don't disagree.

How are things in Austria? How is your back today?

Oh, it's back to its usual antics, but I'll live. Probably.
Otherwise not much to report. Played some games (though I should not) and watched some shows. Now my eyes are asking for mercy.

#69 2017-02-25 17:43:46

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves at Marian*

#70 2017-02-25 18:34:15

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Oh, it's back to its usual antics, but I'll live. Probably.

That's the spirit!

#71 2017-02-25 18:50:18

Mantis

Oh I can imagine!!! It's one thing to want something, but a whole other thing to actually wanting to put time and effort in for it.... Cool group!!!

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#72 2017-02-25 19:27:36

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

Oh I can imagine!!! It's one thing to want something, but a whole other thing to actually wanting to put time and effort in for it....

... Says the lady who has just done so much to make something so cool happen! :)

#73 2017-02-26 01:02:22

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Maen mint!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#74 2017-02-26 02:12:49

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Judging by the lack of vision, this wasn't enough sleep.

#75 2017-02-26 03:32:01

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Gmaen mint!

*waves to everyone* phew, busy busy week. Tons of meetings and needy-customers. And so much stuff to tell...

Had a lovely mantra-yoga lesson on Monday - very very relaxing, even though the sore musles did hurt! A lot!

One of our chinese customers came to visit us at Wednesday and gifted my coworker and me with homemade sweets ... sometimes I love my customers (TwT)

I got my new glasses at Thursday (the old ones fell apart after 15 years) and the world is still spinning around me when wearing them (@.@)

Had a coffee-meeting with an old friend on Friday - which was kind of awkward since we haven't seen each other in months due to work.

But most the best news *drums* I got the salary increase I was asking for since summer and much praise from my manager *celebrates**basks in praise*

Tomorrow we will have the famous 'hippo-food-event' at work (one of my colleagues really likes cooking and once a year he brings a buffet for everyone to enjoy). Good thing I managed to go through my fasting day yesterday...

Regarding time and effort topic: I guess you have to be a bit of an idealist to put time and effort in a topic which is gaining you nothing but the satisfaction of creating something. But it is always cool to see things actually 'happen'. Afterwards one feels quite proud - at least I do and I'm sure Libra feels the same after finishing the 'cool thinggie' *broad grin*. The remarkable thing is: if the right people get together, they are inspired by each others works and the result is better than everything anyone could have done by their own *nodnod*

Board footer