Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-02-24 09:34:01

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: QM - Spring Storm

Oof, this has been a busy week - at the potting machine almost the entire time. On Monday, one of the greenhouses was almost empty - today, it was almost completely full, and I was almost drowning in piles of empty potting mix bags.
It's always funny when people are so surprised that I can lift the bags - I don't know how many times I fill up the potting machine in a day, and every time I fill it, I need to lift six or seven 70 litre bags.
... they would probably stare even more if they saw me move an entire pallet of those bags... that is quite a bit bigger than me!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#27 2017-02-24 09:41:48

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

How heavy are those things? Probably around 20-30kg depending on the mix? They are always a bit awkward to handle because they flop around so much. I am surprised there are no different packages / transport forms for the quantities you use.

I did lug a lot of those around for my mother, when I was still living at home, usually putting a few at once in the wheel barrow, because I am lazy (not necessarily a great idea, because our garden is not flat at all).

Edit: Looking at this a little more, potting mix for consumers is usually in slightly smaller bags, the larger bags are for lighter materials. So I guess those potting mixes might be close to 40kg? That is pretty heavy.

Last edited by Peter (2017-02-24 09:52:46)

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#28 2017-02-24 09:58:41

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I'm not sure how heavy the bags are (one day, I will take scales to work to find out). Definitely less than 25 kg, though, because that's how much the boxes of flower bulbs weigh, and I can just barely lift those onto a table.

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that one litre must weigh one kg, so they get very worried about me lifting the bags. Um, no, even when some rain has soaked into the bags, the potting mix still weighs less than water.

There are heavier ones, though, like the kind we use for the soil cubes - which I can carry, but not lift from the ground, I need to have them at about chest height to pick them up (or higher, it's always easier to let a bag slide down from above and get my arms around it than to have to lift it.)

As for the sizes, there are also 500 and 1000 l bags, but because of the way our potting machine is built, it would be difficult to fill it with these. And the place where it stands is often very full of stuff so we couldn't get near it with the electric pallet jack, which we'd need to lift the bags high enough to get them into the machine.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#29 2017-02-24 10:05:04

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Also the weight depends a lot on what ingredients are used - mixes that are meant to be used in the garden, as opposed to pots, or organix ones, or just low-quality ones tend to be heavier.

- Tad

#30 2017-02-24 10:29:46

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I know; the sacks with bark chips are huge, but they are probably lighter than the 40l bags of earth.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#31 2017-02-24 11:02:51

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

*waves to everyone*

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#32 2017-02-24 11:36:39

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves at Firsfron*

#33 2017-02-24 11:46:06

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*sleepywaves*

I think I'll go to bed.

- Tad

#34 2017-02-24 11:57:49

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Good luck getting to sleep so early Magpie, hope you can sleep through the night.

*yawns and waves to minters*

10 days with a cold, but I only had fever last weekend so I was at work all week. So. Much. Fun. Going to try to do as little as possible all weekend.

Hope you all are doing better.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#35 2017-02-24 12:37:58

Pandy
Pilgrim

Hey!  Maen all!

IT'S FRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDAY!

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
"I think Pandiqegabenikananoomookmannaq sounds even better." -Firs
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#36 2017-02-24 12:54:09

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

*huggles mint*

Lovely day off.... spend a lot of tie in bed, then when for lunch with L in her friend's mum's pub, which was utterly relaxing....

Then spend some time reading, having nacho and was just admiring Arcturus in the night's sky....
(mostly because L called C worrying about this ridiculous bright thing in the sky.... C told me and I of course had to google it, as I know not a lot about astronomy)

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#37 2017-02-24 13:35:25

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I should be asleep, but I still needed to finish the laundry, so I'm not. And I just spent a long moment staring at a strange piece of clothing that seemed like it had been made for a person with too many limbs... until I figured out it was a black hoodie and a pair of black leggings, tangled together.

*mumbles something about tentacles and goes to bed*

- Tad

#38 2017-02-24 14:11:23

Mantis

Magpie wrote:

I should be asleep, but I still needed to finish the laundry, so I'm not. And I just spent a long moment staring at a strange piece of clothing that seemed like it had been made for a person with too many limbs... until I figured out it was a black hoodie and a pair of black leggings, tangled together.

*mumbles something about tentacles and goes to bed*

Wahahahaha... that reminds me of this one time I decided to buy a "girly" piece of clothing.... I was all by myself.... ended up in the dressing cubicle completely in a know, which no chance to escape without simply tearing it up... finished with having to call a friend to plead with her if she could please please come to the shop and help me untangle myself from said piece of clothing.... as I was too embarrassed to ask a shop assistant....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#39 2017-02-24 15:13:18

Pandy
Pilgrim

My mind, it is boggling.

**edited to add:
I can't imagine getting caught in clothes that I couldn't remove. So my mind is going through the hoops of trying to figure out everything.

I have been boggled.

Last edited by Pandy (2017-02-24 15:16:55)

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#40 2017-02-24 16:07:00

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Weekend!

Nothing specific tonight. Tomorrow is meeting friend for breakfast & then my usual Saturday errands. Sunday we have planned to go to the botanical gardens! I've never been, so I'm excited.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#41 2017-02-24 16:38:14

Mantis

Pandy wrote:

My mind, it is boggling.

**edited to add:
I can't imagine getting caught in clothes that I couldn't remove. So my mind is going through the hoops of trying to figure out everything.

I have been boggled.

Girly clothes suck..... they looked very pretty on the mannequin, but I couldn't figure out how to put them on, and just stuck my arms through random holes.... and got very very stuck....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#42 2017-02-24 16:38:59

Mantis

Ad1tu wrote:

Weekend!

Nothing specific tonight. Tomorrow is meeting friend for breakfast & then my usual Saturday errands. Sunday we have planned to go to the botanical gardens! I've never been, so I'm excited.

Nice!!

I've actually been able to tease a friend out of her usual "stay at home" mode and am doing something, with someone... it's amazing!

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#43 2017-02-24 23:53:33

ylvs
Mantis

Gmaen Mint.

Firs, can you get your Osten Ard map panel filmed? You know your most interested audience is here ...

#44 2017-02-25 01:59:28

ylvs
Mantis

Hm. I kinda expected that response. What about audio taping it?

#45 2017-02-25 04:04:04

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Or if you'd rather not have your voice heard on the internet (wasn't that the issue with the video game video?) what about recording it just to make/have someone make a transcript?

- Tad

#46 2017-02-25 05:29:12

Mantis

ylvs wrote:

Gmaen Mint.

Btw, can you get your Osten Ard map panel filmed? You know your most interested audience is here ...

Yes please!!!!!!

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#47 2017-02-25 08:56:47

Pandy
Pilgrim

A transcript would be lovely.

Firs, what happened to you at work? You can take it private if you wish.

And... since coming back, I've noticed quite a bit of swearing here - why is that?

#48 2017-02-25 10:18:14

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Today, my mother, grandmother, aunt and uncle came to visit, and I learned something that I found quite funny. We were talking about the chain of improbable and yet entire logical things that led to me being in the acknowledgements of HOWWL, and my mother said, “Well, that was a good recommendation from Mrs (whatever her name was).”

So, long background story, but I promise that it leads back to Tad.

So, my brothers and I all went to the same kindergarten. Me, the oldest, because it was the closest one to our place then. Then my one brother was the first child with disabilities to go there, and I vaguely remember someone writing a paper about that, and my other brother went there even though we didn't live in the area any more, because my parents (or my mother in particular) liked it that much.

And so many things in our lives keep connecting back to that place.

My mother kept in touch with the staff there even when none of us kids went there any more. My mother is a trained masseuse, and still does it a bit on the side, and some of the kindergarten staff were among her regular customers, as well as the grandparents of one of the girls I was friends with at kindergarten.

For a while, we rented a garden from the parents of a boy I was also friends with, and I think they were also the couple my parents later sold their house to.

Then at some point, they got the budget to hire another person, and immediately offered the job to my mother, who happened to be looking for a job then.

And now Squirrel goes there as well.

And what does all of this have to do with Tad? Today I learned that one of the children who are there now - is the grandchild of the librarian who recommended MST to my mother when she was looking for books for me.

So my mother might get the chance to tell her the story, of how her book recommendation ended up changing my life so much.

(Hm. Maybe I should translate my fairy tale into German and have my mother give it to her?)

- Tad

#49 2017-02-25 10:21:55

ylvs
Mantis

Magpie wrote:

(Hm. Maybe I should translate my fairy tale into German and have my mother give it to her?)

You absolutely should!

#50 2017-02-25 10:23:03

Pandy
Pilgrim

Wow.

Thank you, ylvs.

They totally used that as an excuse to clean house.  I've worked in higher education in some form since ... oh, 2005? From private schools to public community college. I've taught, too. And my wife has worked in all sorts of roles, from Presidential assistant to Senior VP Executive assistant, which touched on legal aspects, and I can tell you, new administrations like to come in and CLEAN. HOUSE. In the middle Aughts, there was this idea of bringing in business people to run a school, and SURPRISE they didn't know bupkiss about higher ed.

Sometimes, that's good.

They used the law as an excuse.  The actual dollar amount difference would have truly been minimal, and there are many ways they could have solved this problem with job restructuring versus cutting things.

The real teller is the fact that they used a law intended to help to get rid of people. No need to pay unemployment if people quit.

It's brilliant, it's scummy, and firs, you are an amazing person to stick around.  I left my last Community College job because they were forcing me to pay Union Dues.

That was, like, less than a dollar per pay check.  BUT IT WOULD NOT HAPPEN TO ME! 

I give you lots of credit, man.  Your brilliance should be somewhere that people at the top recognize, friend.

Board footer