Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-23 07:19:52

ylvs
Mantis

QM - Spring Storm

At the center of a roaring springstorm there is a spot of quietness and cozyness. That is where you find this incarnation of the Mint ...

*points at the bar*

#2 2017-02-23 07:47:34

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM - Spring Storm

Why am I not surprised by the end of the last Mint? :D
I hope this one does not feature torrential downpours...

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#3 2017-02-23 08:34:56

Pandy
Pilgrim

Maen Mint.

I'm feelin' grumbly.

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
"I think Pandiqegabenikananoomookmannaq sounds even better." -Firs
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#4 2017-02-23 08:45:09

ylvs
Mantis

Shout it in the storm, Pandy. That helps.

What did you expect, Peter? I did announce it on page one after all ...

#5 2017-02-23 08:52:04

Pandy
Pilgrim

When you are down and out, sometimes you just gotta shout,

"I'M DOWN AND OUT!"

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#6 2017-02-23 08:56:26

Pandy
Pilgrim

On the plus side, I have a gaming group again!

#7 2017-02-23 09:00:54

ylvs
Mantis

So just get through stupid work day and all will be well.

Or just come over to my side of the pond. We already have feierabend.

Yay Europe.

#8 2017-02-23 09:12:31

Pandy
Pilgrim

Google tells me that feierabend is a specific pub? 

We have one here!  http://www.smokingmos.com/  but they are closed. For renovations.
Pubs are great as long as you have pub people.

Last edited by Pandy (2017-02-23 09:19:43)

#9 2017-02-23 10:01:32

ylvs
Mantis

Hahaha. No.

Feierabend is a word that has no counterpart in English and so here on Smarch we decided to make it another foreign word. It worked for earworm that was not common in the US a few years ago but now is known. As I disticly remember having explained it on the board I mockingly claim to have coined it. And that is what I plan for feierabend as well.
Literally translated it means celebrate the evening. It's the time of the day when work is done and you're free to do whatever. Like when leaving work people wish each other a happy feierabend istead of saying goodbye.

#10 2017-02-23 10:06:13

Pandy
Pilgrim

Oooooh.

That pub I mentioned? It's in Seattle, Feierabendseattle.  Silly me, reading comprehension fail on my part.

#11 2017-02-23 11:26:22

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Wait. Are YOU the reason I know the word earworm???

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#12 2017-02-23 11:53:59

Magpie
Mantis
Website

So, today was definitely a lot better. Sunshine, really warm (I even worked in just a t-shirt for a while), work was fun/got a lot done, left early because I had a dentist appointment, and met Herr Journeyman on the train (he is still doing his community service, so I hadn't seen him in ages, and it was nice to be able to catch up.) And I didn't have to wait at the dentist, which rarely ever happens. And maybe it's kind of weird, but I almost enjoy going to the dentist because he is so friendly and cheerful.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#13 2017-02-23 13:21:12

ylvs
Mantis

Ad1tu wrote:

Wait. Are YOU the reason I know the word earworm???

That is entirely possible. I used it here way before I saw it popping upon the interwebs. I remember being quite surprised that you had no word for the phenomenon in English.

#14 2017-02-23 13:26:02

ylvs
Mantis

I do not find the conversation I am thinking of. Weird.

#15 2017-02-23 14:42:55

Pandy
Pilgrim

I remember earworm from more than a decade ago when I worked at a steel company.  We used it with a friend who also had chronic lyrichosis, a disease in which you never hear the correct words to a song.

#16 2017-02-23 15:10:15

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Pandy wrote:

I know from personal experience how important that is. Congrats!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#17 2017-02-23 15:45:07

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Pandy wrote:

Oh I'm jealous!!!

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#18 2017-02-23 15:47:03

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Has weekend!!!! Got today off as I should have had Monday off, but it didn't work due to silliness.....

Gonna spend all of tomorrow doing whatever I want.... even if that means staying in bed!!!

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#19 2017-02-23 17:10:12

Pandy
Pilgrim

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Pandy wrote:

Oh I'm jealous!!!

You are more than welcome at casa de Monium.  I have a feeling that unless I do some real good world 'splainin' I might not get repeat customers.

I'll post my weebly down yonder this weekend.

Last edited by Pandy (2017-02-23 17:10:38)

#20 2017-02-24 01:00:11

ylvs
Mantis

Gmaen Mint.

The storm has passed, the sun is out. Daughter1.1 got a big surprise yesternight (her French sis is here to visit for a week and Daughter1.1 had ho idea until she opened the door) and weekend is ahead.

All shall be well.

#21 2017-02-24 02:28:01

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Maen Mint.

Full day ahead again. Today is the last day of the training. After that I have a vet appointment in the afternoon, and tonight we are going to the cinema. And I feel like I am getting sick again, which is no surprise. We are passing colds around at home. It is my turn next week again.

#22 2017-02-24 02:31:17

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

It's like you had a kid in Kindergarten, Merenwen...
Hope your immune system can fight off the cold!

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#23 2017-02-24 03:51:24

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Maen mint!

Proud of myself for only going a little over budget last month despite an unexpected hospital bill (from a year ago).

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#24 2017-02-24 07:05:29

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Subsidized lunch again today! Downside: I don't get to read on my lunch break. But hey, free lunch!

Last week was a department thing. This week, the one manager wanted to thank me for the extra help I've done, helping to cover for coworker on maternity leave. So this week it'll just be me, her, and my manager, which is much nicer than all 12 people crammed in a conference room.

Ok.. back to w*rk... too much to do!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#25 2017-02-24 07:19:43

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Enjoy your lunch, Ad1tu!

Board footer