Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-02-15 13:02:46

Pandy
Pilgrim

Re: QM - Nakkiga Gate

Ad1tu wrote:

*reads the roof discussions with interest*

We get lots of snow and ice (obviously) so we have shingles and membranes and insulation and oh lots of stuff up there. Never dawned on me that not all houses are built this way...

There's something weird about seeing Northern climate roofs in southern climate environs.  45 degree angled roofs in an area where snow doesn't exist?  Kooky!  The angles help keep the snow from crushing the house.  My roof is angled at maybe... 10 degrees?  6?  And that's to keep the rain on moving and not settling and soaking my house.

Heck, out here we get tons of moss on our roofs.  Standard shingles, heck, even WOOD shingles are used here.

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
"I think Pandiqegabenikananoomookmannaq sounds even better." -Firs
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#27 2017-02-15 14:18:09

Pandy
Pilgrim

So my boss had me remote into his computer to train me on the next task on my sisyphean task list, and his machine was just crawling in the database.

Finally we get through it all, and I open it up on my remote PC, and it's flying.  I tell him that my machine is moving quickly, and he replies:

"I think I have issues."

To which I replied,

"The first step is admitting it."

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#28 2017-02-15 16:37:52

Pandy
Pilgrim

Click this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPv9yKC76hE

Trust me, it will put a smile on your face unless you hate kittens.

My family watches this, because it's better than TV.

#29 2017-02-15 16:38:06

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

I don't think our roof is angled that much, but it's still got to be around 30 degrees.

Heck, a lot of the commercial buildings around here have these heating coils for roofs and/or gutters to help prevent ice dams from forming.

Ha, and I just remembered this conversation I had with someone while I was in high school... I was bummed that we weren't going to have a snow day, and a friend and I joked that it was because the next school district over was in a more affluent neighborhood so everybody probably had heated driveways. Now I wonder if that's a thing, or if we just made it up...

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#30 2017-02-15 16:39:34

Pandy
Pilgrim

#31 2017-02-15 16:41:25

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Aww, kitties!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#32 2017-02-15 16:43:57

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Huh. How about that!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#33 2017-02-15 17:21:01

Pandy
Pilgrim

That's pretty much what I said.

#34 2017-02-16 01:57:17

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Maen Mint!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#35 2017-02-16 02:03:15

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

We have that on some of our shopping/walking only streets, as well as bicycle paths. Awesome stuff.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#36 2017-02-16 02:23:47

ylvs
Mantis

Gmaen Mint.

This is not my day.

*collapses on office desk*

#37 2017-02-16 02:28:48

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*hugs Ylvs*
Hope it gets better!

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#38 2017-02-16 05:32:13

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Hurray, squishing two three-day courses into a five day period and then needing 3,5 days for the first course...

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#39 2017-02-16 06:33:41

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Paraphrased by me, as seen on my company's intranet...

"Unfortunately, bad news. Very sad. Don't worry, (department), you will have options, it'll be ok. You guys did a great job last year and we're all super proud of you. Way to be team players. BTW, (my department) you guys won't have to reduce your staff because (other department) did such an amazing job. The end."

Yeah, that could've been phrased better. *eyeroll*

Tamishu's Ramblings

#40 2017-02-16 08:05:30

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Seems like a great day all around...
I'm mostly fine, but I'd appreciate getting a good night's sleep and my back isn't all that happy with me.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#41 2017-02-16 08:27:02

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

I can post again!!!!

oh what horror to only be able to read, but not write!!!!

*huggles mint*

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#42 2017-02-16 09:09:30

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Why couldn't you post before, Libra?
Any progress on the house of dreams?

#43 2017-02-16 09:23:30

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

*is also curious about that*

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#44 2017-02-16 09:24:52

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Gmaen Mint.

This is not my day.

*collapses on office desk*

*tosses jellybeans of the appropriate color*

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#45 2017-02-16 09:26:11

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Tired. Spent at least two hours this afternoon carrying heavy stuff down the cellar stairs (buckets and boxes of fertilisers, boxes of flowerpots.) The upside: my knee doesn't hurt so badly any more. The bad news: everything else hurts.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#46 2017-02-16 10:48:12

Pandy
Pilgrim

Maen, gang.

ylvs, my condolences. I've been there.  If you need snarky words tossed at anyone, I'm your foole.

Libra - you must let me know what topics to avoid so I can post I MEAN NOT POST when you are like that again.

Peter - I feel your pain.  Woke up with migraine class headache, and I am avoiding playing with a database right now. And by playing I mean subjugated by.

Ad1tu - does that mean what I think it means?  Team A screwed up so badly, will lose people, but your team will be okay because of it?  That's... that's Michael Scott level.

Sahi - Am I correct in assuming that at least you've been to this training, or partially, before?

Kenan - I just want my bathroom to have heated floors.  And, if I have to admit it, a heated toilet seat.

Firs - Hey buddy! 

Magpie - I hate the "this hurts more so that doesn't hurt as much" game.  At least you were gravity assisted.  You could have been bringing them UP.  ... granted that seems to be in the future for you so I probably should not bring that up any more.

#47 2017-02-16 11:28:44

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Pandy wrote:

Ad1tu - does that mean what I think it means?  Team A screwed up so badly, will lose people, but your team will be okay because of it?  That's... that's Michael Scott level.

*waves*

Eh. Not really. Basically, Client A (very big client) got bought out by Company B. Company B no longer requires all the services we provided to Client A (which was the bad news) so some people will probably end up getting let go at the end of the contract. Luckily, Company B will probably have equivalent positions for these people available internally, so most of the people have a shot at getting immediately hired on by Company B.

Nobody really screwed up, Company B just has totally different internal procedures and structure, so they're working to assimilate and reconfigure Client A.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#48 2017-02-16 11:43:14

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Pandy wrote:

Kenan - I just want my bathroom to have heated floors.  And, if I have to admit it, a heated toilet seat.

Heated floors are very nice, my mom has them in her house. Heated toilet seat... seems like I've experienced that somewhere, and it was the. best. thing. ever. Worthy pursuit!!

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#49 2017-02-16 11:48:27

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Gmaen mint!

*falls over and waves weakly to everyone* two days of an exhausting workshop are over - unfortunately there is more to come. Extra-hours for me as it seems...

*offers yoga-tested-anti-sore-balm to Magpie* hopefully all of these muscles are remembering soon how to behave.

Libra, glad internet is back to posting mode - what happened?

*gives hugs to ylvs* hopefully, tomorrow will be better - the weekend is almost upon us :-)

Hi Pandy, nice to meet you *waves*

#50 2017-02-16 11:48:39

Pandy
Pilgrim

Kenan wrote:

Heated floors are very nice, my mom has them in her house. Heated toilet seat... seems like I've experienced that somewhere, and it was the. best. thing. ever. Worthy pursuit!!

I once rented an apartment that had the hot water tank hooked into the toilet.  While that is exceptionally awful for the wax ring and the diseases that could form, it was the most wonderful thing in the world.

Thank goodness I didn't pay the hot water associated bills, because we might have flushed it a lot.

And by a lot I of course mean obsessively.

Board footer