Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-15 00:59:23

Sahi
Mantis
Website

QM - Nakkiga Gate

By ylvs' request!

Maen Mint!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#2 2017-02-15 01:11:45

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM - Nakkiga Gate

Maen Sahi.

Uh oh, we're farther and farther north.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#3 2017-02-15 03:11:25

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*expects to be stabbed any second*
We better be quiet in here, lest the norns find us...

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#4 2017-02-15 03:16:10

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

*waves to Peter*
Perhaps we should be more afraid of getting a mountain on top of us?

#5 2017-02-15 03:29:33

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

At least the mountain would make it quick...

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#6 2017-02-15 03:37:33

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Ever the optimist, Peter.

#7 2017-02-15 05:00:11

ylvs
Mantis

Sahi wrote:

By ylvs' request!

Maen Mint!

Thankee, dear!

Gmaen Mint.

#8 2017-02-15 05:01:06

ylvs
Mantis

*looks up*

Naahh, at least 25 ages until that one explodes.

*nods*

#9 2017-02-15 05:02:47

ylvs
Mantis

Such a lovely day outside and already a day's worth of work done. Sofa and book is the perspective for the coming hours.

Yay life.

#10 2017-02-15 05:33:40

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I guess we know how this Mint will end...

#11 2017-02-15 07:01:02

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*looks up suspiciously*

You stay up there where you're supposed to.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#12 2017-02-15 09:45:37

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I am sure Master Destroyer Ylvs has the timing down...

#13 2017-02-15 10:39:07

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ooh, nice Mint!

*hangs from the icicles*

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#14 2017-02-15 11:25:09

Pandy
Pilgrim

Maen, all.

Today is shaping up to not be a well being day.

But boy oh boy, is the rain nice to hear on my new space age roof.

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
"I think Pandiqegabenikananoomookmannaq sounds even better." -Firs
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#15 2017-02-15 11:35:10

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Pandy wrote:

Maen, all.

Today is shaping up to not be a well being day.

Sorry to hear that!

But boy oh boy, is the rain nice to hear on my new space age roof.

Space-age roof? What is this witchery?

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#16 2017-02-15 11:40:47

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I wish I had the time and brain to keep up with all the HOWWL threads, or to contribute to them. Sorry.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#17 2017-02-15 11:43:57

Pandy
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Space-age roof? What is this witchery?

I live in an area that gets maybe, tops, 3 inches of snow every five years.  It's actually considered one of the wettest spots in Washington, outside of the rain forests here. With that said, my house was built in the 50s as a large vacation cabin.

When I say large vacation cabin, it's not a cute 800 foot outdoorsy cabin, which one would expect.  It's ...well, it's large. And boxy, and from the outside it looks like a doublewide because the exterior has no "curb appeal" holy cow it's ugly.

Still with me?

The interior, it is nice.  Needs work, though. And I need to stop getting descendants of the original pukey the cat (Sons and Daughters of Siam) so i can actually have nice floors. ANYWAY.

The original roof was torch down, which is usually used in commercial applications, and is nothing more than rubbersheets glued to the roof with hot tar.  Men with flamethrowers install it.

Well, 60 years later, the rubber was giving up the ghost, and we needed to replace it.  We did, and used a polycarbonit plastic instead. And they put down some insulation.  And used a robot to seal the plastic to my roof. 

Hundreds to perhaps a thousand pounds were removed from my roof, and dollars have literally dropped off my heating bill.  When we replace the single panel windows sometime in the future, I won't cry when it hits 30 degrees F anymore.

Or 90.  Really, we should do it ASAP, but these windows be large yo.

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#18 2017-02-15 11:45:15

Pandy
Pilgrim

Magpie wrote:

I wish I had the time and brain to keep up with all the HOWWL threads, or to contribute to them. Sorry.

Magpie, I am pulling a few of them together into a discussion thread firs and I are tossing back and forth.  If you read any of them, hopefully it's this one, because I'm abandoning all the others since I am not discussing the original topic in them anymore.

Man, it feels good to be posting again. I am sorry if it's too much, though.

#19 2017-02-15 11:47:15

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Pandy wrote:

Magpie, I am pulling a few of them together into a discussion thread firs and I are tossing back and forth.  If you read any of them, hopefully it's this one, because I'm abandoning all the others since I am not discussing the original topic in them anymore.

Man, it feels good to be posting again. I am sorry if it's too much, though.

It's not too much. We like a lively board. :)

#20 2017-02-15 12:00:12

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Pandy wrote:

The interior, it is nice.  Needs work, though. And I need to stop getting descendants of the original pukey the cat (Sons and Daughters of Siam) so i can actually have nice floors. ANYWAY.

I know the curse of cat ownership and keeping clean floors!

The original roof was torch down, which is usually used in commercial applications, and is nothing more than rubbersheets glued to the roof with hot tar.  Men with flamethrowers install it.

Well, 60 years later, the rubber was giving up the ghost, and we needed to replace it.  We did, and used a polycarbonit plastic instead. And they put down some insulation.  And used a robot to seal the plastic to my roof. 

Hundreds to perhaps a thousand pounds were removed from my roof, and dollars have literally dropped off my heating bill.  When we replace the single panel windows sometime in the future, I won't cry when it hits 30 degrees F anymore.

Or 90.  Really, we should do it ASAP, but these windows be large yo.

That sounds very cool. Here, in general, roofs are terrible. Corrugated tin roofs are still common in certain neighborhoods. I, however, do have a nice steel roof which is supposed to last a long time.

When people think of Arizona, people think of a dry desert. But I am in an intermontane area which receives very heavy rainfall during the summer. I am in one of the purple splotches. The rains are so heavy during July and August that they alter the shape of the land in my yard. Hills become valleys. Indentations vanish between one year and the next. When non-residents see my roof, and all of the gutters and storm gulleys, I'm sure they think it is overkill. It definitely is not!

#21 2017-02-15 12:09:37

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

I have no doubt that if we had more plant-related discussions, you'd contribute. :)

#22 2017-02-15 12:27:56

Pandy
Pilgrim

Magpie wrote:

Nevermind. I've had the wind knocked out of my sails... I'll return to this after TWC comes out, maybe.

#23 2017-02-15 12:41:17

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Magpie wrote:

*waves*

Busy with the Meisterarbeit of doom? No with valentines day, presumably.

#24 2017-02-15 12:45:23

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Magpie wrote:

*waves*

Busy with the Meisterarbeit of doom? No with valentines day, presumably.

Birthday preparations, mostly.

And some stuff for the secret thing.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#25 2017-02-15 12:55:20

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*reads the roof discussions with interest*

We get lots of snow and ice (obviously) so we have shingles and membranes and insulation and oh lots of stuff up there. Never dawned on me that not all houses are built this way...

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

Board footer