Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-01-29 16:06:17

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: QM - Tangleroot Castle

Yeah, I've done plenty of that on tumblr too.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#52 2017-01-29 22:09:45

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

It's Monday again, I slept poorly, and I have an afternoon meeting *yawns* can this day be over soon?

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#53 2017-01-30 00:16:07

ylvs
Mantis

Gmaen Mint.

*wavies at the second Duke*

*conjures Monday away*

#54 2017-01-30 00:34:32

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I slept reasonably well last night.

Well done on the cleaning, Peter!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#55 2017-01-30 01:31:56

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Apartment is moderately clean, the wall sockets for TV have been changed as well as the modem, hopefully fixing the super-unreliable internet.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#56 2017-01-30 01:35:19

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*wishes everyone a good morning*

Well, my morning was crappy. I haven't slept much because I am an emotional wreck since yesterday. :D

I haven't expected that finishing the story of FFXV would leave me behind like this. I seriously feel so sad and empty. I am not exaggerating. I was glad that I was alone at home yesterday, because I just let the tears flow. And all I did after crying was sitting in my room, brooding about the game and listening to the OST. And I really didn't feel like getting up this morning. Yes, I know, that must sound ridiculous to most of you. But I can't help it. 

Maybe I give a more detailled opnion about it in the games thread later.

#57 2017-01-30 01:57:50

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Came across a very useful article on how to deal with the Trumpeltier situation: https://medium.com/the-coffeelicious/ho … .waocy8gv4

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#58 2017-01-30 01:58:33

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*hugs Merenwen* I hope your mood improves a bit during the day!

Scrollbearer

#59 2017-01-30 02:47:37

Magpie
Mantis
Website

More snow. And a headache. Lovely.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#60 2017-01-30 04:21:24

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Apply your head to that snow?

Scrollbearer

#61 2017-01-30 04:31:33

Magpie
Mantis
Website

A snowplow broke down outside my house and is getting towed.

- Tad

#62 2017-01-30 05:39:08

Sahi
Mantis
Website

sensation and excitement!

Scrollbearer

#63 2017-01-30 06:03:35

Magpie
Mantis
Website

And now I have listened to all the Fredrik Vahle songs I could find on youtube, and I'm disappointed because I can't find Der Müllmann, Der Kastanienbaum and Ritter Klipp von Klapperbach.

- Tad

#64 2017-01-30 06:58:13

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Turns out I actually still have the recordings I made off my old cassettes, but the quality is absolutely awful.

- Tad

#65 2017-01-30 07:32:33

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Sahi wrote:

Came across a very useful article on how to deal with the Trumpeltier situation: https://medium.com/the-coffeelicious/ho … .waocy8gv4

I definitely need to keep #1 in mind... I need to stop checking Twitter first thing in the morning to see what craziness I missed while sleeping! Yes, that is my train of thought.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#66 2017-01-30 07:57:56

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Well that just means you know some birthday presents! (As I'm assuming the entire collection can be gotten on CD.)

Scrollbearer

#67 2017-01-30 08:12:19

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Sahi wrote:

*hugs Merenwen* I hope your mood improves a bit during the day!

Well, it has not. I am still brooding and all melancholic. :) Despite a lot of storytelling flaws, they did something right, I guess. I have read and watched and played so many stories that didn't evoke any feelings, that didn't make me care for the characters and the world building at all, and now I am here, craving for more because it wasn't enough what was shown. I feel both disappointed about the short story and all the important things that were cut from the game, and yet I loved what I have got.

Long story short, the game felt incomplete and too rushed in the end, as if they had no time to finish it properly. It felt like we were just scratching on the surface of what they actually had in mind, and that is a shame. If they had expanded the story and put more efforts into the storytelling, I am sure this would have been a masterpiece.

... And now I am feeling genuinely sorry for bothering the mint with the laments of a die-hard FF fan. This does not belong here. But I am feeling very talkative right now. :D

#68 2017-01-30 08:16:59

Merenwen
Pilgrim

I really think I am going to pester my mexican online friend with this. She has played the game herself and is just a sick fangirl as me. :D I got to know her at the Dark Souls online mode.

Last edited by Merenwen (2017-01-30 08:27:18)

#69 2017-01-30 08:23:29

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Sahi wrote:

Well that just means you know some birthday presents! (As I'm assuming the entire collection can be gotten on CD.)

I'll have to see if they're on the CDs that we gave to Squirrel and Chipmunk.

- Tad

#70 2017-01-30 10:55:46

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*hugs Merenwen*

It does indeed sound like they did some things right, if they made you care this much about the characters and world :) . Your issues are with the way they told the story, or is the story itself too dark as well, as you feared originally?

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#71 2017-01-30 11:06:11

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Magpie wrote:

A snowplow broke down outside my house and is getting towed.

Heh. Even the machines are *done* with this cold winter :D
(Only 2 more months... ok, this is depressing)

#72 2017-01-30 12:08:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Hey, even though we might not care about the game as much as you do, we do care about you, so feel free to rant anytime, Merenwen! That's what we all do, no matter what it's about.

Scrollbearer

#73 2017-01-30 13:12:42

Magpie
Mantis
Website

The bad news: I looked at Smarchmoot pictures and now I'm sad because I miss you all and you're so far away.

The good news: do you remember that video from Tad's panel at Brighton that I couldn't get to work? And nobody had taken notes because we were relying on the video? I just tried it again... and it seems to work now. I have no idea why... but... it .... works...

Should chop it up into youtube-sized pieces and upload it, but I also have other things I should be doing.

- Tad

#74 2017-01-30 13:22:33

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Huh, awesome! I know about the should be doing department. But at least I polished my recorders (after oiling it yesterday), I knitted and I had a look at what kind of cakes I want for my birthday. Still not quite sure, as they're sending me to a training on my birthday (along with the rest of my team). Very inconvenient, I had just been so pleased to find out that it was on a Monday, so I could use the weekend for baking! Now I'm not sure when to bring cake to work...

Thinking about baking cookies tomorrow night to celebrate my lustrum at work.

Scrollbearer

#75 2017-01-30 13:47:08

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

That's a weird happy birthday from work, sending you for training... lol

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

Board footer