Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#601 2017-02-14 14:26:39

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Re: QM - Tangleroot Castle

1,908 hours to walk from Lisbon, Portugal to New Dehli, India.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#602 2017-02-14 14:47:54

Pandy
Pilgrim

Nonstop, right?

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
"I think Pandiqegabenikananoomookmannaq sounds even better." -Firs
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#603 2017-02-14 16:02:22

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

*drops into mint*

Oh Magpie, I hate when that happens.... Hope you're not too bruised!!

Dog owners can be soooo stupid.

We have this yellow leash here with a yellow tag... Basically if a dog is wearing it, it means the dog doesn't really like others dogs or tends to be scared or snappy... My friend has a Romanian rescue dog and I often walk her (I'm one of the few people she accepts) and it just annoys me to no end that people don't control their dogs around her... We're clearly proclaiming "stay away" and when they don't and Zara snarls, they're all upset... Pfff...

I used to be with the animal ambulance and we did a lot of school lessons and training for people who considered getting a dog... We'd give them advice on which breed would suit them and such.... I so want to just walk up to some people and tell them that dog is not suitable for them...

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#604 2017-02-14 16:49:18

Mantis

*sees Marian in magic mirror*

*prepares pouncyhuggle trap*

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#605 2017-02-14 16:53:32

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

The dogs-in-front-of-owners thing isn't really true. That's one of those old-school dominance theories. Domesticated dogs have evolved much differently from wolves in the wild. You can have a very well trained dog that walks ahead of you.

Hunting dogs are a good example. They naturally lead the way, but they are in service to their master, on a scent. It has nothing to do with their place in the pack, they know they will be rewarded if they do a good job for their master.

It's been really important for my hound to feel like he has a job, since I don't need him to hunt. :) He is very pleased by basic training, and loves to do his "work".

#606 2017-02-14 16:54:29

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Hi Libra! :)

#607 2017-02-14 16:57:43

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Interesting info on dominance theory:

http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-is-the-RSPC … g_475.html

#608 2017-02-14 17:05:00

Mantis

Marian wrote:

Hi Libra! :)

Hiya!!

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#609 2017-02-14 20:03:33

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Pandy wrote:

Nonstop, right?

I believe so. It's something like 22% of a year. So even if you walk for a full 12 hours each day, you're looking at almost half a year.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#610 2017-02-14 22:52:39

Magpie
Mantis
Website

My knee still hurts. Not too badly, but riding my bike and walking up and down stairs is going to be fun today.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#611 2017-02-15 00:52:29

Magpie
Mantis
Website

There were too many people on my train today. (Looked like a school trip.) I did not approve.

I want my usual seat and my usual quiet.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

Board footer