Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-01-29 01:48:08

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Re: QM - Tangleroot Castle

I guess the last bit of ice here will melt today: it's raining.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#27 2017-01-29 01:49:47

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

*waves to Sahi*

Enjoy the thaw!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#28 2017-01-29 03:18:48

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

They keep promising us it will get a bit warmer, but they haven't been right so far. The snow did just barely melt in the city, but outside it's all still here, despite falling a month ago. It is pretty rare for the temperature to be constantly below 0 here for such a long time.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#29 2017-01-29 06:30:29

Gabriele
Pilgrim
Website

ylvs wrote:

Of course it is not under the castle. This is not Asua but Wilhelmshöhe. Here is a link to a recent article in the local paper warning to go on the ice. You see pics of times when it was possible more often. More pics here

*is envious* The Kiesteiche here never got enough ice to be safe for skating.

#30 2017-01-29 06:41:03

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Technically we haven't had enough frost for the ice to be safe for skating. Of course that didn't stop all those ice-maniacs. Yesterday somebody even got into trouble for trying ice-sailing... (And made the news for it.)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#31 2017-01-29 07:04:42

Magpie
Mantis
Website

According to my mother, the lakes here are safe for skating, but I haven't felt like going. Certainly not today, I only just managed to drag myself out of bed and make breakfast.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#32 2017-01-29 07:40:03

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Oy, that's a late breakfast! Somewhere within the next hour I'm going to my mom to have dinner!

Scrollbearer

#33 2017-01-29 08:33:53

ylvs
Mantis

Skating was fab! After I initially felt my feet would break and I could not stand the pain from the shoes for longer than a few minutes I really enjoyed it and did 8k. And then funny enough when we left I noticed the sign warning to walk on it because it's too dangerous ...

#34 2017-01-29 09:24:02

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

I'm not very good at ice skating, and the few times I've been, there were too many people so I couldn't really enjoy myself. Couple times at an indoor rink, once at a small outdoor rink. My problem is balance. I don't really feel comfortable balancing on ice skates, and having a ton of people zooming by me is scary enough. I dunno, maybe I'd feel different now if I tried it...

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#35 2017-01-29 10:52:43

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Should call my father to say happy birthday, but I don't really want to...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#36 2017-01-29 11:03:19

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

I did ice skate only once in my life in an indoor rink. In fact it was more 'sitting on the ice and cursing'.

But I guess I'm just a non-sports person - no matter what kind of sport is involved...:)

#37 2017-01-29 11:28:42

Magpie
Mantis
Website

No work again tomorrow... Well, at least I can hope I will feel better then and can actually do things...

- Tad

#38 2017-01-29 12:20:43

ylvs
Mantis

I did loads of ice scating as a kid. We had a little park close to our house with a kind of basin (no idea what putpose it originally served nowadays it hold two basket ball fields). When the temperatures sank below zero a firefighter truck came and put water in, thus making a skating rink. It took me one whole winter to learn how to do it (I am not very good on the motoric side as well) and I loved it ever since. The lake is best of course but as I said it does not often freeze over sufficiently any more. And it took me quite a while to remember how it works today ...

And I when we came home I worked on the secrit thing. On page three now. Half done. It was a good day.

#39 2017-01-29 12:52:31

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Learning to skate is kind of an important memory for me, because it's the only thing I remember my father ever coming to my school for - we went over to the rink near my primary school, with some parents coming to help teach us to skate, and he was one of them.

But I find rinks too crowded and noisy, so the last time I went was the last time the lakes were properly frozen, and that was years ago.

- Tad

#40 2017-01-29 13:43:44

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I can't even remember the last time I skated, I haven't had ice skates for years and years.

Scrollbearer

#41 2017-01-29 13:48:28

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Ice skating is something I have never done.
I would like to say the same about cleaning my apartment and a couple days ago it sure looked like the truth, but a lot of cleaning has happened since, with lots of breaks to rest my back.

Mostly done now, just a couple surfaces left.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#42 2017-01-29 14:08:29

ylvs
Mantis

Rink sucks, lake rulz.

#43 2017-01-29 14:21:37

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Thinking about a song I listened to a lot as a child, and wondering how to rewrite it to make fun of the Trumpeltier.

I don't know a damn thing about Fredrik Vahle as a person, but from all the songs I've grown up with, it's easy to tell he would be against anything das Trumpeltier stands for.

*sings*
Nanu, was ist das für ein Tier?
Ach, ein kleines Trumpeltier.
Das grabscht mal da, das lügt mal hier,
das kleine Trumpeltier.

- Tad

#44 2017-01-29 14:57:29

ylvs
Mantis

Now I know why I thought that Trumpeltier is much too nice a name for the orange monster! I subconsciously remembered this song. I loved Vahle as a child and Daughters listened to his music as well when they were little. and I still sing a song of his to Daughter2.0 as lullaby sometimes. (She definetly would berate me if she knew I tell peeps she still likes her lullaby).
And Vahle is an old lefty hippie. He would certainly approve.

#45 2017-01-29 14:58:58

ylvs
Mantis

I just watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes  for the first time. Was mightily impressed with the animation of the apes.

#46 2017-01-29 15:04:32

Magpie
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Now I know why I thought that Trumpeltier is much too nice a name for the orange monster! I subconsciously remembered this song. I loved Vahle as a child and Daughters listened to his music as well when they were little. and I still sing a song of his to Daughter2.0 as lullaby sometimes. (She definetly would berate me if she knew I tell peeps she still likes her lullaby).
And Vahle is an old lefty hippie. He would certainly approve.

I've only recently discovered how much of my values were at least partly shaped by his songs.
Some of his CDs were among the first presents that Squirrel and Chipmunk got.

- Tad

#47 2017-01-29 15:26:46

ylvs
Mantis

My favs are Die Rübe and Anne Kaffekanne.

#48 2017-01-29 15:30:20

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I couldn't say which ones are my favourites, but those two would probably be pretty high on the list.

I should go to bed but I need to listen to all the songs I can find on youtube now...

- Tad

#49 2017-01-29 15:33:21

Magpie
Mantis
Website

(Except maybe for the Christmas songs, because I actually have those on CD and still listen to them every year.)

- Tad

#50 2017-01-29 15:55:45

ylvs
Mantis

Much better than what I do: watching the world go  down the drain via my twitter feed.

Board footer