Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-28 13:23:00

ylvs
Mantis

QM - Tangleroot Castle

Just because I really like the name and think we should keep celebrating the return to Osten Ard.

*points at the bar beside a huge and crackling fire*

Have fun, peeps.

#2 2017-01-28 14:34:27

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM - Tangleroot Castle

Nice! Tangleroot _really_ evokes passages 'neath the earth. Hey Tad, did you ever consider using such in your stories? :D

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#3 2017-01-28 15:18:51

Magpie
Mantis
Website

It's a really beautiful name. Even if it's not such a nice place.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#4 2017-01-28 15:29:26

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

The place seemed fine, but no one seemed to like the company.
This will be a hard Mint to avoid spoilers in...

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#5 2017-01-28 16:08:14

ylvs
Mantis

A bleak place as the world is this last week. We'll make it warm ad cozy anyway.

#6 2017-01-28 16:09:11

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

*tumbles into mint*

Had a lovely day... First helped L and C out with making the bed that had finally been delivered... C had done her back in and L couldn't do it on her own... And the kids were no help either!!

Then, as a thank you, they took me to the caravan showroom place so I could decide on the model I want to have... Then we went to the woods with the kids and dogs (already almost dark so was lots of fun trying to find Henry - a purple, pink-spotted monster with scales and sticky things, who will be marrying the youngest one)... We ended the day in Nando's where we consumed an extreme amount of food, having missed all our lunches...

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#7 2017-01-28 19:39:34

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*drags in talk from previous Mint*

Sahi, I thought of you today when I saw single butter knives at the grocery store! Too bad you are far away :(

Merenwen, I had the same experience with VR! I tried it out and my husband's friend's house over the summer, and played a bit of a game called Raw Data. I was going through the tutorial level, died, spawned in the middle, and did not realize the enemies do not reset when you die. Spawned RIGHT NEXT TO A GIANT ROBOT, and they both thought my reaction was absolutely hilarious. No. No. Suddenly finding yourself next to the giant death machine that wants to kill you is terrifying.
The few hours I played a couple different games, I never got used to how real it all feels. Hiding behind something, I still expected to be able to *feel* it. It's weird having the visuals, but not the tactile-ness.

Had a decent day today. I went shopping for clothes for work and actually found the pants I wanted! In a size that fits! Plus some shirts, a cardigan, and a blazer. And I opened a store charge card... but I saved, like, an extra 33% off my bill because of that. So, worth it. I just gotta figure out now if I can set up an online account to pay it (probably, it is 2017...)

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#8 2017-01-29 00:07:29

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Woke up to more snow today. Didn't expect that...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#9 2017-01-29 00:58:33

ylvs
Mantis

Gmaen Mint.

Serious winter is about to be over. Today is the last chance skating on the lake beneath the castle. I hope I manage!

#10 2017-01-29 01:00:35

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

It has been snowing here, too, off and on for weeks. It melts very quickly, often as soon as it touches the ground, during the day (today was almost t-shirt weather), but the mountains have stayed snow-capped. Miller Peak, just behind my house, looms icily like Stormspeik, its snow-capped peak white and menacing...

This is a lovely, well-named Mint! Love it!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#11 2017-01-29 01:03:02

ylvs
Mantis

Firs!

*pouncyhuggles*

How are you? How is life? How is your mom?

#12 2017-01-29 01:05:46

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

*pouncyhuggles back*

I'm well. Mom's doing better every day. Yesterday, she buckled her seatbelt in the car for the first time since December 22nd. With the brace, the pain, and the awkwardness, this was not possible until now. I suspect in a few weeks, she will be driving again.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#13 2017-01-29 01:06:24

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Tell me about the ice-lake under the castle. That sounds magical!

#14 2017-01-29 01:17:14

ylvs
Mantis

Of course it is not under the castle. This is not Asua but Wilhelmshöhe. Here is a link to a recent article in the local paper warning to go on the ice. You see pics of times when it was possible more often. More pics here

#15 2017-01-29 01:19:40

ylvs
Mantis

And I am really happy your mom gets better. So normal life for you is on the horizon as well.
Did you get my mail on the timeline issue? I dunno how to deal with this. Ideas?

#16 2017-01-29 01:21:44

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ah, so it is simply castle-adjacent! Well, ice-skating there sounds like it will be a lot of fun! Hope you and the family have a great time!

#17 2017-01-29 01:24:58

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I got the email about the timeline issue, but hadn't yet had a chance to email. But it's not horribly complex: it's simply a matter of pushing some dates back 500 years. When dealing with the Gardenborn, 500 years is nothing, and the dates of Utuk'ku and her descendants' births were always meant to be approximate anyway. Utuk'ku can easily be 10,035 years old and Tad's comments can still be true; it just means it pushes Amerasu's birthdate back a bit in history.

#18 2017-01-29 01:29:09

ylvs
Mantis

Ok cool, so I'll do this later today then. After skating under the castle.

*giggles*

Need to find someone who lends me skates, though. My pair is from 1984 and kinda falling apart ...

#19 2017-01-29 01:30:43

ylvs
Mantis

Btw, did you see that the interview vid is linked on the page of Dog's German publishers? That's mighty awesome imho.

#20 2017-01-29 01:32:21

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Yes, well, be sure to grab a glow-sphere when skating under a castle. It gets dark down there! ;)

1984? That is a long time to own footware! I know my skates from 1984 wouldn't fit me anymore. I was 10!

#21 2017-01-29 01:33:32

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Btw, did you see that the interview vid is linked on the page of Dog's German publishers? That's mighty awesome imho.

Oh, yes, that's incredible! It brought a big smile to my face to see your face on the German publisher's page.

#22 2017-01-29 01:35:48

ylvs
Mantis

I was 14 and my feet did not grow since. They were very good skates made from fine leather, state of the art at the time. But now the foam cushioning the flap is literally disintegrating which is kinda gross.

#23 2017-01-29 01:37:50

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have kept a few pairs of shoes too long, and they sure get disfigured over time. Mine wear out in the heel and the ankles long before the tongue.

I did not grow much between the ages of 10 and 14, but then hit a growth spurt from 14 to 21. I didn't stop growing up until then. At age 12, I was almost as small as my smallest sisters, six and seven years younger than me.

#24 2017-01-29 01:38:22

ylvs
Mantis

Right, sweetness. I gotta dash to wake up family to go to brunch at my parents.
It was so good seing you. Have a very good night!

And I do sincerly cross my fingers that you might be somewhere with proper interwebs soon so I will see more of myself on youtube. Fame becomes addictive.

*giggles*

CU soon!

#25 2017-01-29 01:41:47

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Have a great day, enjoy the skating and the brunch!

Board footer