Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-01-14 08:33:32

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: QM - The Heart Of What Is Silly

I should do a few more things before LG comes over (and then we'll go out for dinner with my mother, because it's her birthday), but now that I've eaten, I'm tired...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#52 2017-01-14 08:33:53

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Gabriele wrote:

Peter wrote:

You are an evil person, Kenan, seducing people to buy more books!

I suspect mine have hot book smoochies at night and that's where all those cute little paperbacks come from.

It has nothing to do with my Amazon account, really. ;-)

Oooohhh... Wouldn't that be amazing.... You buy two books and the you leave them overnight and when you come back.. BOOM... Five books....

*dreams*

Oh but which books to breed with??? Would be so interesting to mix genres and see what comes out...

O.o writing ideas....

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#53 2017-01-14 08:50:22

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

Kenan wrote:

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

I think I should, right? However I can't really afford it now... Will have to wait for next payday!!!

With Amazon you don't get charged until it ships :)

Really???? I did not know that!!!!

Yeah. Also, if you pre-order, you're guaranteed the lowest price registered between the time you place the order and the shipping date. :) So if it's registered at £12.96, like I think it is now, then drops to 10.99, and goes back up to 14.99 on release, you pay the lowest price, 10.99. Sometimes they even lower the price between the time they charge you and the time they ship the item, which gives you a refund. I can't tell how many times I got a 0.02 refund!!! Sometimes it's a bit more than that though :)

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#54 2017-01-14 08:51:11

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Gabriele wrote:

Peter wrote:

You are an evil person, Kenan, seducing people to buy more books!

I suspect mine have hot book smoochies at night and that's where all those cute little paperbacks come from.

It has nothing to do with my Amazon account, really. ;-)

Sounds like a plausible theory, I'll subscribe to it!

#55 2017-01-14 11:44:18

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I probably said this before but... Hey magpie, your mom and my brother share a birthday!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#56 2017-01-14 11:58:22

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I tried to do the only run I know during AGDQ, but I've failed several times. I was on good pace yesterday in my 5th attempt or so, when the game crashed in the load screen (happens maybe every 200 levels or so) and then I made a super silly mistake today while on reasonable pace.

I finally did a super safe run and nearly failed that twice, but could recover. Time was absolutely abysmal, by which I mean it is only 6 minutes faster than anyone else has ever played the game. But it's also 8 minutes slower than a perfect run and 3 and a half minutes slower than my current world record (which uses older strategies, I was within a minute of a "perfect" run back then).

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#57 2017-01-14 11:58:38

ylvs
Mantis

Kenan wrote:

I spent the evening with David Bowie, watching the documentary The Last 5 Years. It wasn't a great documentary I think, but decent enough.

Unfortunately I can only watch the dubbed version which is a shame. Saw most of it. I love the  part that actually is about his last five years but could do very well without the other stuff. Cause I know all that anyway.

#58 2017-01-14 12:30:01

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

ylvs wrote:

Kenan wrote:

I spent the evening with David Bowie, watching the documentary The Last 5 Years. It wasn't a great documentary I think, but decent enough.

Unfortunately I can only watch the dubbed version which is a shame. Saw most of it. I love the  part that actually is about his last five years but could do very well without the other stuff. Cause I know all that anyway.

I'm happy they don't do that here (except for kids' movies). Glad you got something to enjoy out of the documentary though :)

#59 2017-01-14 12:56:59

ylvs
Mantis

At least they did not dubb Bowie himself.

#60 2017-01-14 16:05:11

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

neighbour of doom is at it again! the hammering with friends, alcohol and loud music and no end ahead even after 4 hours *takes her bedroll and moves to the mint*

#61 2017-01-14 18:48:20

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

One of the best parts of not sharing walls with anybody anymore

No neighbors of doom and I can be as boisterous as I want

Slave of the lizard king

Master of the esoteric arts

He's exciting in a "here come the Magyrs" kinda way
http://dies-ira.tumblr.com

#62 2017-01-15 01:13:29

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Morning minters!

Today is going to be a sunny but somewhat cold (-1C) day, so we're heading out to the archipelago in a while.
Wish you all a fine Sunday.

#63 2017-01-15 01:14:36

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Kia wrote:

neighbour of doom is at it again! the hammering with friends, alcohol and loud music and no end ahead even after 4 hours *takes her bedroll and moves to the mint*

*hangs a "Do Not Disturb" sign on Kia's toe*

#64 2017-01-15 01:21:58

ylvs
Mantis

Gmaen Mint.
Time to wake family for brunch @grandparents.

#65 2017-01-15 03:05:44

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

*yawns* *emerges from her bedroll* Good morning mint! *starts to air out her futon and puts the'do not disturb sign' away to retrieve next time* let's hope for a quiet Sunday. At least I have enough marzipan buns in the freezer to console myself over the spoiled night.

Of course, brunch would be even better - enjoy ylvs!

Last edited by Kia (2017-01-15 03:06:23)

#66 2017-01-15 03:09:10

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves at Kia*

Those marzipan buns sound quite delicious...

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#67 2017-01-15 03:22:05

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

And if still frozen and propelled with sufficient force (say, by a cannon), they could work well against neighbours!

#68 2017-01-15 04:17:14

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

*waves back at Peter* *hands over a marzipan bun*
In terms of ammo my bakery goods are of little use - to fluffy ;)  I should look to for a source of dwarf bread then - it is suitable for war (but much less for eating) *ponders*.

Maybe I could ask my mother to bake some bread - the last one she made would have been suitable ammo to tear walls down. My female ancestors have a great and famous reputation for creating inedible things from flour - I'm the black (or white?) sheep in this regards XD

#69 2017-01-15 04:41:43

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*snarfs marzipan bun*

Ah, you just need to freeze them hard enough... or use sufficient force. Bullets are only a couple grams after all!

#70 2017-01-15 05:16:42

Gabriele
Pilgrim
Website

Use a sling to propel them. That should knock the neighbour out cold.

#71 2017-01-15 05:45:00

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

*freezes buns with ice-cold stare* hah, beware neighbour of doom! these buns from frozen hell shall cool you down! *misses practice target my miles*...uhhh....this was way easier to do when I did practice with the Wii

#72 2017-01-15 08:54:50

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Sahi wrote:

I probably said this before but... Hey magpie, your mom and my brother share a birthday!

Yeah, that sounds vaguely familiar. (And you share one with my youngest cousin.)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#73 2017-01-15 08:56:08

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Spent a lazy day at LG's place, finished watching season 3 of GoT. Now I should probably do something useful, but... still feeling tired and lazy (and also hungry.)

- Tad

#74 2017-01-15 09:36:46

ylvs
Mantis

You're watching the telly, Magpie? This romance truly changes you.

*smiles*

How do you like the show?

#75 2017-01-15 09:40:14

Gabriele
Pilgrim
Website

I got misgivings when they introduced that Florence Nightingale character in season 2 and gave up after season 3. From what I've read online, it was the right decision. Show and books by now exist in parallell universes, and I don't like the show one. :-)

Board footer