Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Osten Ard
  •  » A VERY SPOILERISH DISCUSSION OF THE HEART OF WHAT WAS LOST

#26 2017-01-08 15:58:33

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: A VERY SPOILERISH DISCUSSION OF THE HEART OF WHAT WAS LOST

ylvs wrote:

I will say more very soon but am much too tired now (just waiting for that stupid laundry to stop skidding), so I just say this: towers seem not to be enough anymore, right? A collapsing mountain? Awesome!

You know, I didn't even notice that, but - no matter how short the book, Tad-themes will always turn up!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#27 2017-01-08 16:04:58

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Kia wrote:

1. We learn that house Iyora descended from Ekimeniso in the male line. Not from the queen (I'm sure they would mentioned that). So either Utu'ku was not Ekimenisos first mate or he did entertain other relationships while he was married to the queen. Cheating Utu'ku doesn't seem to be survivable though...

I was wondering about that as well.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#28 2017-01-08 16:33:38

Magpie
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Kenan wrote:

Suno'ku, did Yaarike mean to say she would become like a new Storm King in her actions? He claimed she was the best of them, just like Amerasu claimed Ineluki had been the best of them...

I made this connection as well and think this is it. That's why she could not be allowed to live in Yaarike's an Akhenabi's opinion.

I feel like I'm just posting a long list of "I didn't even think about this", because this is yet another one.

Was it actually a dark spirit that spoke with the voice of Akhenabi through Tzayin-kha? What does that imply?

No. It was Akhenabi who spoke and Suno'ku made up the evil spirit to have a reason not to obey him. And this disobiedience is on of Akhenabi's reason to want to have her killed. Because I think Akhenabi and Yaarike pursue the same goal but for different reasons. Yaarike shares his, on Akhenabi's we can only speculate: getting rid of a potential rival?

That makes sense.
I thought about this part, but not enough to make up my mind. And I remember thinking, when I read the manuscript, "I could ask Tad about it - or I could not do that, and have stuff to discuss after the book comes out."

Kia wrote:

ylvs wrote:

Kia wrote:

PS: does anyone know what 'tza' means? I guess it is some kind of honorific, but it isn't included in the Glossary...

Tad via mail wrote:

It’s a slightly affectionate honorific from an elder to his or her junior.  It’s a bit like calling someone, “My good fellow”, or “My dear Watson,” but with a connotation of age-to-youth.

(^____^) thanks for explaining, Tad and ylvs! another entry for the Gardenborn-dictonary :)

...but now I need to find a way to get rid of the image of Yaarike wearing a deerstalker and smoking a pipe - sometimes I think I should give my brain less sugar, so it won't torment me with hilarious stuff anymore XD

I love that mental image, and a part of me wants to learn to draw better just so I can draw this.

Ad1tu wrote:

Ok, just finished reading, so, a few thoughts.

First, Viyeki kind of reminds me of Simon. When Yaarike tells him they are to stop meeting, Viyeki makes the hand signs, and then, "In a flat tone Yaarike said, 'And yet I can see you still have questions.'" That was when I first noticed it. But throughout the story, he's constantly thinking, and Yaarike more than once prods him on to think on his own. Early on, when they're at Tangleroot Castle, Viyeki asks Yaarike to explain his reasons, and gets, "Have you given up thinking for yourself, Viyeki-tza?" And of course all of Viyeki's investigations and questions at the end, when he confront Yaarike about his role in the collapse of the mountain. It makes me think of what Simon & Morgenes relationship might have been like had, well, all of MS&T not happened and he had simply gone on being Morgenes apprentice.

Another "I didn't think of this" thing, but I like it!

Going to have to read the book again soon, and post more thoughts of my own.

In the meantime, here are some quotes that I particularly enjoyed. (and some DBC quotes if you go further back)

- Tad

#29 2017-01-09 00:07:15

kragadox
Pilgrim

I did not see a single mention of Black Rimmersmen in HOWWL. Ingen Jegger was an important figure in MST. He was the Queen's Huntsman. So my question is are Black Rimmersmen the "slaves" that are referred to many times. If so, I am surprised they weren't used as cannon fodder during the final battles leading up to the collapse of part of the mountain. If the mortals within Nakkiga are not Black Rimmersmen who are they? I was hoping to get some more Black Rimmersmen characters to get some insights into that "race".

#30 2017-01-09 00:12:56

ylvs
Mantis

Kia wrote:

ylvs wrote:

Kia wrote:

- the coffin of a fallen hero would be a perfect place to leave a copy of a prized jewel without your family asking to many questions, wouldn't it?

Haha. That is something I did not think about at all. I do not think it is so, though. In a conversation with Isgrimnur Ayaminu says that the humans do not need to punish the Norns as they are likely doing that themselves. Regret, death obsession and sacrifice seem to run deep in Norn culture. So I think that Yaarike did in deed put the HOWWL in Suno'ku's grave to atone for his sin (or however one would call that in Norn instaed of christian terms) of killing her.

My initial thought was that he somehow gave it to Ayaminu. I reminded me about Iyu'unigato giving Ti-tuno to Hern as a token of trust when they forged their pact. But you are right. It might also be true that Yaarike did bury it - maybe as atonement, maybe as a symbol to 'burying the past'.

Hm. A possibility worth pondering. Only adds to the mystery of Ayaminu's reasons for being there.

There seems to be more goiing on between sithi and norns after the  parting that we were aware of so far. Discussing the atate of the walls at Three Raven Tower Ayaminu says: “Because repairs were done—but they were hasty. My people sent a number of our families to help them. This was before the Hikeda’ya moved openly against us, but Queen Utuk’ku still refused our o er. We know, though, that the repairs were over-swift, most likely because the queen’s eye was turned southward to the lands of men.”

If the sithi sent a help party to Nakkiga who knows what else was going on maybe between old firends who's freindship wasn't broken by the parting.

Lots of mystery around sithi-norn-relations, so much is sure.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#31 2017-01-09 00:19:59

ylvs
Mantis

Magpie wrote:

Kia wrote:

1. We learn that house Iyora descended from Ekimeniso in the male line. Not from the queen (I'm sure they would mentioned that). So either Utu'ku was not Ekimenisos first mate or he did entertain other relationships while he was married to the queen. Cheating Utu'ku doesn't seem to be survivable though...

Who says that the immortals have only one partner? Serial monogamy makes even more sense if you live  practically forever, right?  So it might be from a spouse before Utuk'ku.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#32 2017-01-09 00:21:30

ylvs
Mantis

kragadox wrote:

I did not see a single mention of Black Rimmersmen in HOWWL. Ingen Jegger was an important figure in MST. He was the Queen's Huntsman. So my question is are Black Rimmersmen the "slaves" that are referred to many times. If so, I am surprised they weren't used as cannon fodder during the final battles leading up to the collapse of part of the mountain. If the mortals within Nakkiga are not Black Rimmersmen who are they? I was hoping to get some more Black Rimmersmen characters to get some insights into that "race".

I say three words to that: The. Witchwood. Crown.

Scrollbearer

#33 2017-01-09 09:00:22

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

kragadox wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the passage in tHoWWL that mentions this, there's also mention of other humans than actual slaves, more like servitors perhaps, and when I read that passage I was thinking Black Rimmersmen.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#34 2017-01-09 10:57:37

kragadox
Pilgrim

Kenan wrote:

A Witchwood Crown on the coffin... time to speculate again about the next novel, for those of us who haven't read it! Could the title then refer to a crown that has been buried? Even Suno'ku's burial crown? Will her body be re-animated by the spirit of the Storm King? *shivers* (no I don't think so...)

HOWWL wrote:

Prince-Templar Pratiki of the queen's own Hamakha clan placed a sacred witchwood crown upon the empty coffin...

It says "a" sacred witchwood crown.  Does this mean there are others?  It seems like there might be a few laying around Nakkiga and not a one-of-a-kind object.  So is this "the" witchwood crown?  It has some significance as it was one of Sunoku's tributes.

HOWWL wrote:

When the ceremony was ended, the coffin and tributes were carried in a slow march through the crowds and then deposited in the Iyora clan vault.

It seems to me that the crown was not exactly buried and would be fairly accessible if someone were to try to retrieve it.

#35 2017-01-09 11:03:22

kragadox
Pilgrim

Kenan wrote:

kragadox wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the passage in tHoWWL that mentions this, there's also mention of other humans than actual slaves, more like servitors perhaps, and when I read that passage I was thinking Black Rimmersmen.

I remember reading about mortal slaves and low caste Norns.  I don't remember the mention of other humans.  I will go back and look for it.  If the slaves are not Black Rimmersmen or other Rimmersmen, what mortal population would they be from?  Rimmersmen would be the closest "race" to choose from.  I suppose the Norns could pick and choose what mortals to take as slaves but they have been confined to the north for a very long time.  Could some of the slaves be trolls? If the Norns will be breeding with mortals it doesn't seem like they would choose to breed with Rimmersmen who they seem to regard as subhuman.  Maybe Black Rimmersmen are deemed more acceptable?

#36 2017-01-09 11:15:46

kragadox
Pilgrim

Kia wrote:

2. Remember the story of Hamakho Wormslayer walking through Tzo feathered by arrows? As it seems, The Lost Garden wasn't that quiet of a paradise, if you could get feathered by arrows there. It might be the doing of the doing of the Unbeing, but Hamakho was said to be the founder of Utu'kus clan and Utu'ku lived at the Garden before the Unbeing came.

Before I read this, I had considered the Garden to be more of an idyllic place.  Like a Garden of Eden.  I'm wondering how Hamakho came to get "a dozen fatal arrows" in him.  Who was he fighting against?

#37 2017-01-09 11:25:17

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

kragadox wrote:

I remember reading about mortal slaves and low caste Norns.  I don't remember the mention of other humans.  I will go back and look for it.  If the slaves are not Black Rimmersmen or other Rimmersmen, what mortal population would they be from?  Rimmersmen would be the closest "race" to choose from.  I suppose the Norns could pick and choose what mortals to take as slaves but they have been confined to the north for a very long time.  Could some of the slaves be trolls? If the Norns will be breeding with mortals it doesn't seem like they would choose to breed with Rimmersmen who they seem to regard as subhuman.  Maybe Black Rimmersmen are deemed more acceptable?

If it's not Rimmersmen, it has to be men from way back in time. They mentioned ten(s of) thousand(s), and that many wouldn't go missing without us having heard about it recently. So I'm thinking people from when Nabban was an empire even into the north maybe.

#38 2017-01-09 11:28:00

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

Jumped in with my eyes covered to say that I'm about 60 pages in...can't wait to come in here and discuss

#39 2017-01-09 11:29:48

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Go back to reading Neemo!!

#40 2017-01-09 12:04:32

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

ylvs wrote:

Magpie wrote:

Kia wrote:

Who says that the immortals have only one partner? Serial monogamy makes even more sense if you live  practically forever, right?  So it might be from a spouse before Utuk'ku.

Generally spoken, yes, I also think that serial monogamy is the best choice if you live thousands of years. I just never thought of Utuk'ku as someone who would be satisfied by being the 'second choice' (and would even less tolerate any official mistress of her husband).

If I consider some interactions between Viyeki and his wife, I wonder if 'love' is the focus of norn  companionship or if (at least among the nobles) (clan) politics are more important - as it is done among the noblility of the mortals. On the other hand, the sithi seemed less concerned about the whole 'who marries who' thing (at least if you believe Aditu). It might be one of the points, which separated the tribes - remember how furious Utuk'ku was when Drukhi married Nenai'su?

kragadox wrote:

Kia wrote:

2. Remember the story of Hamakho Wormslayer walking through Tzo feathered by arrows? As it seems, The Lost Garden wasn't that quiet of a paradise, if you could get feathered by arrows there. It might be the doing of the doing of the Unbeing, but Hamakho was said to be the founder of Utu'kus clan and Utu'ku lived at the Garden before the Unbeing came.

Before I read this, I had considered the Garden to be more of an idyllic place.  Like a Garden of Eden.  I'm wondering how Hamakho came to get "a dozen fatal arrows" in him.  Who was he fighting against?

I guess that at least there were dragons in the Lost Garden - hence Hamakho's 'nickname'. Means: there were dangers around. However dragons do not fire arrows. Therefore I was either killed by other Keida'ya, Tinukeda'ya or members of a unknown race, which also lived at the Garden.  I guess the Gardenborn tend to idalize their former home due to the fact that they were more part of these lands than of Osten Ard. But these are just musings....

ylvs wrote:

There seems to be more goiing on between sithi and norns after the  parting that we were aware of so far. Discussing the atate of the walls at Three Raven Tower Ayaminu says: “Because repairs were done—but they were hasty. My people sent a number of our families to help them. This was before the Hikeda’ya moved openly against us, but Queen Utuk’ku still refused our o er. We know, though, that the repairs were over-swift, most likely because the queen’s eye was turned southward to the lands of men.”

If the sithi sent a help party to Nakkiga who knows what else was going on maybe between old firends who's freindship wasn't broken by the parting.

Lots of mystery around sithi-norn-relations, so much is sure.

...and Suno'ku mentioned that Utuk'ku sent some of her people to Asu'a to help Ineluki. Inter-tribe relations might be quite complicated. On the other hand, the sithi also were also willing to establish some interaction with Eahlstan, therefore I guess relations are never completly broken if you live that long - you never know when they become handy.

#41 2017-01-09 12:18:35

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Kia wrote:

ylvs wrote:

Magpie wrote:

Generally spoken, yes, I also think that serial monogamy is the best choice if you live thousands of years. I just never thought of Utuk'ku as someone who would be satisfied by being the 'second choice' (and would even less tolerate any official mistress of her husband).

Considering the Norn's difficulty of creating offspring, polyamory could be encouraged.

I guess that at least there were dragons in the Lost Garden - hence Hamakho's 'nickname'. Means: there were dangers around. However dragons do not fire arrows. Therefore I was either killed by other Keida'ya, Tinukeda'ya or members of a unknown race, which also lived at the Garden.  I guess the Gardenborn tend to idalize their former home due to the fact that they were more part of these lands than of Osten Ard. But these are just musings....

My reasoning went along these lines too. Another humanoid race, or conflict in the Garden, could open up a whole can of worms. But this doesn't mean the garden wasn't a "paradise" for the Keida'ya at some point too. Or it might just mean that the Keida'ya was so far above any other humanoid races, that they were like gardeners in that piece of the world. Anyway, it opens up a lot of possibilities, and we'd need a whole lot more to draw any conclusions.

#42 2017-01-09 13:17:58

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Kenan wrote:

Kia wrote:

Considering the Norn's difficulty of creating offspring, polyamory could be encouraged.

You are right, it would raise the chances for offspring for sure but it is an option which would be difficult to handle. The norns wouldn't be able to identify the father of a child of a polyamory relationship, since they are not familiar with DNA analytics. If polyamory would be encouraged as procreation politic for the whole tribe this would result in a lot of norns with unclear genetic heritage. To deal with this you would need to install very strict rules about the choice of life companions or risk genetic degeneration.

...and given how obsessed the norns are with their bloodlines I cannot see them conceiving children with unclear heritage.

The only way this could work, would be to limit polyamory to men. This way the children genetic heritage would be clear. However I can't imagine any of the norn ladies we encountered so far tolerate such a politic - do you remember how jealous Khimabu acted when Viyeki refused her request for attention due to the upcoming war counsil? I can't see her accepting any other woman receiving attention from her husband while he is 'hers' - and he is afraid enough of her not to try such a thing without her consent XD

#43 2017-01-09 13:23:02

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Sound reasoning, Kia. How about serial monogamy? :)

#44 2017-01-09 13:29:06

kragadox
Pilgrim

What about Tiamak's writing in the Appendix?

He states:  "But some Tinukeda'ya are as big as mountain giants, and seem to serve only as beasts of burden".  What?!  We know of dwarrows and niskies.  There has been some speculation in the past that the diggers and giants were some form or "corrupted" Tinukeda'ya.  I don't think I had ever heard of these "beasts of burden".  Were they just in the Garden or are they in Osten Ard?

#45 2017-01-09 13:40:54

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

kragadox wrote:

What about Tiamak's writing in the Appendix?

He states:  "But some Tinukeda'ya are as big as mountain giants, and seem to serve only as beasts of burden".  What?!  We know of dwarrows and niskies.  There has been some speculation in the past that the diggers and giants were some form or "corrupted" Tinukeda'ya.  I don't think I had ever heard of these "beasts of burden".  Were they just in the Garden or are they in Osten Ard?

Maybe some became dragons, and when Hamakho Wormslayer went on a rampage, other Tinukeda'ya picked up their bows...

#46 2017-01-10 09:41:57

RS
Pilgrim

Great albeit short. But then again if seen as a chapter of Memory, Sorrow & Thorn it fits nicely.

I have some questions for those who are in the know. If I understand correctly the work for the collapse of the mountainside started long before there was any thought of parley. So if the plan was also to solve the “problem” of Suno'ku there seems to be an inconsistency … unless, unless Ayaminu had something to do with it. Am I correct in thinking this ?

#47 2017-01-10 11:49:56

kragadox
Pilgrim

RS wrote:

… unless, unless Ayaminu had something to do with it. Am I correct in thinking this ?

In her last talk with Isgrimnur, Ayaminu state "my work here is finished", which leads me to believe she somehow had some contact with the Norns (with Yaarike would be my guess).  I don't think she necessarily had anything to do with the rockfall and, in fact, she also says "I promise I have not interfered in your war".  So it's a bit muddled but I think she certainly had at least a political role in things maybe making an alliance with like-minded Norns.

#48 2017-01-10 12:51:00

RS
Pilgrim

No not the rockfall but the fact that Suno'ku would be out in front of the gates at some point.

#49 2017-01-10 12:57:45

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Kenan wrote:

How about serial monogamy? :)

I think serial monogamy would be the most convinient solution. But even with this reduced numbers of intimate relationships, keeping track of different levels of kinship among the offspring would be a nightmare. Just imagine - half-siblings born with a millenia or more age difference and sometimes in different clans. This is a whole new level of patchwork-family for sure ;)

I just wonder how long the 'taking a new mate' practice lasts. Neither Utuk'ku nor Amerasu re-married after Ekimensio and Iyu'unigato died. I can imagine that Utuk'ku was to proud to let any 'new' husband see her aged self (she was already wearing the mask when Ekimensio was still alive). But Amerasu couldn't let go of the memory of her lost sons and husband. My guess is that there is only a certain amount of loss Gardenborn can endure before they stop to choose new lovers.  It is not so far from the modern mortal habits, just streched over a longer time: a row of more loose relationships during their 'youth' and a very limited numbers marriages. Of course, the exception proves the rule  ;)

#50 2017-01-10 13:22:22

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

RS wrote:

I have some questions for those who are in the know. If I understand correctly the work for the collapse of the mountainside started long before there was any thought of parley. So if the plan was also to solve the “problem” of Suno'ku there seems to be an inconsistency … unless, unless Ayaminu had something to do with it. Am I correct in thinking this ?

From what I understood the work on the mountain slide began right after the siege (at least the worker told Viyeki so). Akhenabi further destabilized the stone after the rise of the dead (he was considered in healing sleep but in fact he worked on loosening the mountain). So my guess is that Yaarike was planning the mountain slide just from the beginning of the siege, but at some point he wanted to hasten the whole thing and therefore had to made a pact with Akhenabi and Muyare. The reason for the haste might have been Ayaminu. She convinced Isgrimmnur to make an attempt of parley, which was the perfect opportunity to get rid of Suno'ku. I cannot believe this was just by mere chance.

• Index
  •  » Osten Ard
  •  » A VERY SPOILERISH DISCUSSION OF THE HEART OF WHAT WAS LOST

Board footer