Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#101 2017-01-11 12:45:37

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

Merenwen wrote:

My parcel arrived at home!!! Can't wait to finish work and find a lovely, warm place on the shelf for my precious!

*is too late to the party*

*dances anyway*

W00T! Enjoy, Merenwen!

(Also: didn't anyone want to gush over the maps, yet? *preens*)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#102 2017-01-11 12:50:08

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

cyan wrote:

I bought the ebook for my kindle but have to buy the hardcover too.  I have a gift card for Barnes & Noble (given to me by a lovely visiting duke) but I never have it on me when I'm actually near a B&N.  So just now I went and put the gift card in my purse.  Tomorrow, I'll have to remember to stop at the B&N on my way home.

I know what you mean about the curse of gift cards: they're never with you when you're at the appropriate store. Still, I wanted to get you something for all your efforts while I was in Oakynland.

Did you get it? Are you reading it? What did you think? As official gift card purchaser, I'm legally required to be notified by the gift card purchasee what she thought of said purchased item. It's the law. ;)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#103 2017-01-11 19:04:48

cyan
Mantis

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

cyan wrote:

I bought the ebook for my kindle but have to buy the hardcover too.  I have a gift card for Barnes & Noble (given to me by a lovely visiting duke) but I never have it on me when I'm actually near a B&N.  So just now I went and put the gift card in my purse.  Tomorrow, I'll have to remember to stop at the B&N on my way home.

I know what you mean about the curse of gift cards: they're never with you when you're at the appropriate store. Still, I wanted to get you something for all your efforts while I was in Oakynland.

Did you get it? Are you reading it? What did you think? As official gift card purchaser, I'm legally required to be notified by the gift card purchasee what she thought of said purchased item. It's the law. ;)

You silly duke!  Yes, I did buy HoWWL yesterday, along with Lost Gods by Brom, a knitting magazine, and a bookmark.  And yes, I started reading HoWWL when I got the ebook but am only a few pages in.  I haven't been reading much the last couple of weeks.  But this will change this weekend as I've decided to dedicate one day to reading and the other to knitting.  :-D

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#104 2017-01-12 00:41:37

Sahi
Mantis
Website

My bookstore only had the trade paperback, so slightly less tempted to buy it yesterday. So both of them are still on the trolley of books that they still have to put on the shelves. (Unless they've actually shelved them already.)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#105 2017-01-13 01:21:56

Tiny
Pilgrim

Caved and ordered from bookdepository.com .. now we wait. 8 days away on holiday should fill the gap :)

#106 2017-01-14 06:10:02

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

I'm soon close to finishing the book...like 15 more pages

#107 2017-02-08 12:26:20

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Today, my workplace, an academic library, received the copies of DBC, SOF, TGAT and HOWWL which they had ordered at my request. My municipal library also received HOWWL this week, and it's now available for checkout, alongside the classic books! Huzzah!

I first "discovered" Tad's books at a library in November 1988, and I know how important good books are for a library to thrive properly. Be sure to order copies at your local library, so they will have good stuff to read.

#108 2017-02-08 12:56:48

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I also first discovered Tad on the shelves of a library where I picked up The Dragonbone Chair some 25 years ago. Libraries are the best!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#109 2017-02-08 14:03:51

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I first heard about Tad and DBC in a sff book of the month mail order brochure! Got the first 3-4 Swedish novels there in hardcover, have since given them away long ago...

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#110 2017-02-08 17:56:31

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Very cool! I'll have to check out what our library system has. The weird part about it is we have a big system, something like 23 libraries throughout the county, but they're all very, very tiny. Like... my collection of sf/f books is bigger than most of the individual library's stock. As a result, they have multiple upon multiple copies of popular titles, and genre stuff is sporadically located. The ones I go to all seem to have the Bobby Dollar books at least!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#111 2017-02-08 19:25:13

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

Very cool! I'll have to check out what our library system has. The weird part about it is we have a big system, something like 23 libraries throughout the county, but they're all very, very tiny. Like... my collection of sf/f books is bigger than most of the individual library's stock.

Same here. The three bigger libraries have a good-sized collection, but the small libraries are often just one wall of books, or one room of books. We even had one high school library which had almost no books at all... except someone donated hundreds of romance novels. Which... might not be entirely useful in a high school...

Fifteen years ago, the municipal library here moved from a very tiny, two-room overcrowded building (which had been perfectly acceptable in the 1970s when the community was much smaller) to the massive structure it now inhabits. When that happened, they moved all the old books from the old library to the new library, and there were approximately two books per shelf! It looked ridiculous. It took them almost a decade to get a collection that filled most of the shelves, and they still have plenty of room to grow. But they have a decent SF/F collection that takes up an entire side wall and one additional long stack, so it feels sufficient, and I can find plenty of good stuff. But in 2001... oh my goodness.

#112 2017-02-08 19:27:47

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Olaf wrote:

I also first discovered Tad on the shelves of a library where I picked up The Dragonbone Chair some 25 years ago. Libraries are the best!

Oh yes, they are! We wouldn't be on these boards without them!

#113 2017-02-08 19:34:58

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

I first heard about Tad and DBC in a sff book of the month mail order brochure! Got the first 3-4 Swedish novels there in hardcover, have since given them away long ago...

I do like the Swedish covers; they feel very adventurous, yet still manage to illustrate the novels correctly. Remember when mail order books were really popular? Good times...

#114 2017-02-08 22:11:03

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Kenan wrote:

I do like the Swedish covers; they feel very adventurous, yet still manage to illustrate the novels correctly. Remember when mail order books were really popular? Good times...

Such a long long time ago...

The covers didn't make a lot of sense though, with the scene from Da'ai Chikiza being on the first part (first part being the same as Simon Mooncalf). :)

#115 2017-02-09 06:55:28

Max
Pilgrim

Yippee!! After a month long intense battle with the mail and the book depository, my copy is here! And ofcourse I started reading right away.. now at page 10..

Currently reading: The Heart of What Was Lost
GoodReads: Apokalisp

#116 2017-02-09 09:37:50

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

Kenan wrote:

Such a long long time ago...

The covers didn't make a lot of sense though, with the scene from Da'ai Chikiza being on the first part (first part being the same as Simon Mooncalf). :)

Well, you raise a very good point. They should have saved the first Whelan painting for book 2.

#117 2017-02-09 09:38:44

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Max wrote:

Yippee!! After a month long intense battle with the mail and the book depository, my copy is here! And ofcourse I started reading right away.. now at page 10..

Welcome, Max!

Congrats on successfully slaying the Book Depository demons!

#118 2017-02-09 12:46:28

Max
Pilgrim

Thank you! Their prices are great but the wait is sometimes so tedious.. if I order the book I want to read it as fast as possible. Next time I'm paying a little extra and saving myself the intense fight. ;-)

Currently reading: The Heart of What Was Lost
GoodReads: Apokalisp

#119 2017-02-09 13:00:21

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Max wrote:

Thank you! Their prices are great but the wait is sometimes so tedious.. if I order the book I want to read it as fast as possible. Next time I'm paying a little extra and saving myself the intense fight. ;-)

Definitely worth paying a little extra to get some books fast :)

#120 2017-02-15 10:19:26

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I didn't realize this, but E-bay now allows reviews of books. Since I had purchased a UK edition of HOWWL on Ebay, I was invited this morning to write a review, which I have now done. Five stars, baby!

#121 2017-09-28 00:08:15

Jeremy_Erman
Pilgrim

Wow! Whelan painted a full landscape for the cover of The Heart of What Was Lost.

http://tumblr.michaelwhelan.com/post/16 … e-heart-of

#122 2017-09-28 03:08:32

ajl3
Pilgrim

Jeremy_Erman wrote:

Wow! Whelan painted a full landscape for the cover of The Heart of What Was Lost.

http://tumblr.michaelwhelan.com/post/16 … e-heart-of

I never even noticed there was much of a background on the US cover, but can see it now that I have seen the full version. It's a shame they didn't make the blue filter more transparent or *cough* not use it at all. I think one of the international editions is this but with Cold Root or Cold Leaf up close to the point of view, sticking out of the ground - it looks amazing even in tiny online store view.

Board footer