Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#76 2017-01-05 22:52:04

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

Neemo wrote:

Yes...but I feel like a bad person now...I let the dog out when I  got home and started reading....I dozed off for about 30-40 minutes and realized that she was still outside...oops...luckily I woke up...would've been bad to leave her out overnight in this cold

Yes, that would have been bad in the frozen tundra wastelands of Qanuc-da. ;)

Anyway...I was a bit surprised how small the book is (being an osten ard novel, even my wife said as much lol)

Haha! True! For an Osten Ard novel, it is quite short. We're so used to Tad-bricks. But HOWWL actually just started out as a short story, and (of course) grew in the telling.

But just wait until you see The Witchwood Crown! Even before the Appendix was added, I estimate it was already Tad's fourth-longest novel. And after...? Not sure if it will rank as #4, #3, or #2 in size, but it will definitely be one of the biggest Tad-bricks ever.

And congrats to those who were mentioned in Tad's opening (even tho I only recognized Firsfron and Ylvs) that is super cool!

StrangeShe and Magpie are also mentioned; I'm thrilled to be included among such Osten-Ard-iana titans, support-rocks, and opinion-offerers.

Neemo, we've very much missed you. Hope you stick around during the months between now and when TWC appears; Kenan suggested doing a re-read of HOWWL, and it just wouldn't be the same without you!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#77 2017-01-05 23:11:41

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

So I posted my review on amazon.com, amazon.de, amazon.co.uk, barnesandnoble.com and goodreads.

Anything important I missed?

Thanks so much for doing that, Ylvs. It really, really helps. I'll be posting my own (full) reviews when I finish HOWWL.

Books-A-Million might be a worthwhile site on which to leave a book review (Here is my review of DBC on BAM). BAM is now the third-largest remaining brick-and-mortar bookstore chain in the US, after the untimely deaths of Hastings, B Dalton, Borders, Brentano's, Waldenbooks, and Crown Books.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#78 2017-01-05 23:21:33

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

*begin decipher script*
ostensibly = osten
and = ard
*end decipher script*

Hee!

#79 2017-01-06 00:45:16

ylvs
Mantis

Sometimes, Firs my dear, I wonder why you are thanking me. As if this is an effort of some kind and not something I am as wholly engaged in as you are or the other maniacs on this board.

*grins*

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#80 2017-01-06 11:17:24

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

As long as I can keep up with everyone else's reading...I've only managed 16 pages so far....*blushes*

#81 2017-01-06 12:59:06

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Neemo wrote:

As long as I can keep up with everyone else's reading...I've only managed 16 pages so far....*blushes*

No need to feel embarrassed, Neemo. I've only reached page 63 myself, due to RL issues. And there are others here who haven't yet even received the book. It'll be weeks before everyone has finished this book, I bet.

#82 2017-01-06 16:30:40

Blue&Green
Pilgrim

Just got my physical copy today. It's beautiful, but I probably won't get to it for a while. Nice to have though, and first print too. I'm not sure if it's first edition though. How would I find that out?

#83 2017-01-07 01:35:44

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Blue&Green wrote:

Just got my physical copy today. It's beautiful, but I probably won't get to it for a while. Nice to have though, and first print too. I'm not sure if it's first edition though. How would I find that out?

It's definitely the first edition, since there only is one edition so far. First print? I'd wager yes, there probably hasn't been a second printing of the first edition yet. If it's a DAW book it would say "first printing" and the month and year on the information page at the start of the book. Also, at the same page there will be numbers counting down from 10, if it goes to 1 it's first printing.

Last edited by Kenan (2017-01-07 01:39:10)

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#84 2017-01-07 07:23:54

Blue&Green
Pilgrim

It's definitely the first edition, since there only is one edition so far. First print? I'd wager yes, there probably hasn't been a second printing of the first edition yet. If it's a DAW book it would say "first printing" and the month and year on the information page at the start of the book. Also, at the same page there will be numbers counting down from 10, if it goes to 1 it's first printing.

Thank you.

#85 2017-01-07 15:05:15

Gabriele
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Haha! True! For an Osten Ard novel, it is quite short. We're so used to Tad-bricks. But HOWWL actually just started out as a short story, and (of course) grew in the telling.

Yeah, I know that sort of story. Beware those cute, fluffy plotbunnies. They always bring their family.

Tad is not the only one. Brandon Sanderson got 4 novels out of a planned short story he wrote in his Mistborn setting. :-)

But just wait until you see The Witchwood Crown! Even before the Appendix was added, I estimate it was already Tad's fourth-longest novel. And after...? Not sure if it will rank as #4, #3, or #2 in size, but it will definitely be one of the biggest Tad-bricks ever.

Oh, I love me some Tad doorstopper.

Anyone taking a bet that monster will be another 4 book trilogy? Likely not, I suppose; the chance is too great. ;-)

#86 2017-01-07 19:37:08

Tiny
Pilgrim

Still trying to find a paperback copy locally, and wavering over whether to order the hard cover from book depository instead, or just get the kindle version...

#87 2017-01-07 19:59:08

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Tiny wrote:

Still trying to find a paperback copy locally, and wavering over whether to order the hard cover from book depository instead, or just get the kindle version...

Hey Tiny! Good to see you!

I don't think HOWWL is in paperback; I've only seen hardcover editions from the publishers. Kindle might be your best bet, if you don't want a hardcover.

#88 2017-01-07 23:49:58

Olaf
Mantis
Website

New Zealand and Australia should get the UK trade paperback which is an export edition designated for overseas markets. Usually, these editions are published at the same time as the hardcover.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#89 2017-01-08 01:20:51

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Yeah, we're supposed to get the UK trade paperback here as well.

#90 2017-01-08 14:21:11

Tiny
Pilgrim

Olaf wrote:

New Zealand and Australia should get the UK trade paperback which is an export edition designated for overseas markets. Usually, these editions are published at the same time as the hardcover.

That's the one - but it doesn't seem to be available yet. It's listed on a few sites as unavailable or out of stock.

Kindle is a last resort or something I use to try out new authors for cheap.

#91 2017-01-09 05:07:51

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

I'm supposed to get it on Wednesday... *squee*

Now I'm going to have to decide whether to read all the other books first or just dive in... Think I might just dive in.. Seeing as I've been very occupied with the books over the last months!!!

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#92 2017-01-09 19:10:26

PeterJW
Pilgrim

I purchased my copy this past Saturday.  I am quite surprised at how thin the book is.  Not a typical Tad sized tome.  I would say it is most likely his shortest work.  That being said, I am still only on page 8.  Even so, it is amazing.  It does not feel  all that long ago since we were last immersed in Osten Ard.

#93 2017-01-09 19:39:45

cyan
Mantis

I bought the ebook for my kindle but have to buy the hardcover too.  I have a gift card for Barnes & Noble (given to me by a lovely visiting duke) but I never have it on me when I'm actually near a B&N.  So just now I went and put the gift card in my purse.  Tomorrow, I'll have to remember to stop at the B&N on my way home.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#94 2017-01-09 23:56:59

ylvs
Mantis

I haaaassss it! Shiny and new and all mine. Preciousssssss.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#95 2017-01-10 01:05:16

Merenwen
Pilgrim

I probably get it tomorrow. From Amazon. My bookstore obviously isn't able to order english books. They are putting me off from day to day and can't even tell if the book arrives this week, and I am getting tired of that.

#96 2017-01-11 04:14:31

Merenwen
Pilgrim

My parcel arrived at home!!! Can't wait to finish work and find a lovely, warm place on the shelf for my precious!

*is too late to the party*

*dances anyway*

#97 2017-01-11 08:57:32

Gabriele
Pilgrim
Website

Merenwen wrote:

I probably get it tomorrow. From Amazon. My bookstore obviously isn't able to order english books. They are putting me off from day to day and can't even tell if the book arrives this week, and I am getting tired of that.

German bookstores have lost me as customer years ago when the last privately owned store here closed. Those chains are hopeless if you want something more complicated than the latest 50 Shades of Something in German. ;-)

Last edited by Gabriele (2017-01-11 08:58:01)

#98 2017-01-11 10:47:53

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I got my UK hardcover today as well. It's so pretty!

#99 2017-01-11 12:44:04

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

PeterJW wrote:

I purchased my copy this past Saturday.  I am quite surprised at how thin the book is.  Not a typical Tad sized tome.  I would say it is most likely his shortest work.

I'm sure Caliban's Hour and Child of an Ancient City are smaller, though.

That being said, I am still only on page 8.  Even so, it is amazing.  It does not feel  all that long ago since we were last immersed in Osten Ard.

I totally agree, Peter JW! I'm only halfway through, and yet I feel as if I never left Osten Ard. I'm very happy with the front half of the book.

#100 2017-01-11 12:44:34

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

I got my UK hardcover today as well. It's so pretty!

Yay! Enjoy, Your Dukeliness!

Board footer