Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-01-04 14:16:37

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

I've just finished.

Now I should scrape together enough words for a review, right?

I've also posted a couple of quotes on tumblr, but since there's a grand total of one person who liked them, I'm not sure how useful that was for creating interest in the book... but I'm not giving up hope that one day I will convince someone there to read Tad's books...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#52 2017-01-04 14:59:02

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Seitherin wrote:

I am on page 8. Such a familiar voice.

Isn't it funny how the author's voice (in this case, Tad's) carries through all his works?

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#53 2017-01-04 15:06:18

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

I've just finished.

Now I should scrape together enough words for a review, right?

Yes, please. :)

I've also posted a couple of quotes on tumblr, but since there's a grand total of one person who liked them, I'm not sure how useful that was for creating interest in the book... but I'm not giving up hope that one day I will convince someone there to read Tad's books...

IMO, you should never underestimate your own wonderful words, or what people see or will be interested in, Magpie. This blog post received 1,030 views this week, but only one "like".

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#54 2017-01-04 15:28:08

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Isn't it funny how the author's voice (in this case, Tad's) carries through all his works?

I think Tad is actually quite flexible in this department. Otherland is very different, with a modern, less poetic style and the original online Smarch was also different, being in present tense.

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#55 2017-01-04 15:29:19

Magpie
Mantis
Website

IMO, you should never underestimate your own wonderful words, or what people see or will be interested in, Magpie. This blog post received 1,030 views this week, but only one "like".

True. There's no way to tell how many people see anything on tumblr...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#56 2017-01-04 15:38:09

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

I think Tad is actually quite flexible in this department. Otherland is very different, with a modern, less poetic style and the original online Smarch was also different, being in present tense.

You have a point, Peter, but I could still tell. For example, both MS&T and Otherland used the phrase "long moments" repeatedly. This, and other key phrases, set that tone. I don't know if HOWWL contains the phrase "long moments", but even the preview version I read had lots of phrases and word structures that just felt very Tad-like.

#57 2017-01-04 15:43:05

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

You have a point, Peter, but I could still tell. For example, both MS&T and Otherland used the phrase "long moments" repeatedly. This, and other key phrases, set that tone. I don't know if HOWWL contains the phrase "long moments", but even the preview version I read had lots of phrases and word structures that just felt very Tad-like.

That's where the ebook comes in useful - yes, it does, seven times. (And "a long moment", six times.) ;)

- Tad

#58 2017-01-04 20:08:17

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Awesome! I suspected it did! Thanks very kindly for the verification, Magpie! I appreciate your diligence, as always. :)

Also: THE BOOK ARRIVED TODAY!!!!!!111ONE!!!!

#59 2017-01-04 20:13:18

Jeremy_Erman
Pilgrim

So while others merrily read HOWWL in bed tonight, their faces lit up with the joy of the written word, each page turning faster than the one before, instead my home is quiet and lonely, my abode's dark, labyrinthine halls bereft of merriment.

It's really a beautifully designed book, with embossed artwork and titles that catch the light if you hold it right...

*angles HOWWL to reflect a single stray beam of pure light into the heart of the Duke of Ronchester's twisting, shadowed lair, dispersing all gloom and sadness to the Old Night from whence they came*

#60 2017-01-04 20:18:16

Jeremy_Erman
Pilgrim

If I'd posted 5 minutes and 2 seconds earlier my timing would have been perfect:)

#61 2017-01-04 20:22:12

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Jeremy_Erman wrote:

It's really a beautifully designed book, with embossed artwork and titles that catch the light if you hold it right...

*angles HOWWL to reflect a single stray beam of pure light into the heart of the Duke of Ronchester's twisting, shadowed lair, dispersing all gloom and sadness to the Old Night from whence they came*

Thanks! Even though I got my own copy, your beam of HOWWL-light saved Ronchestlair, since I hadn't unwrapped my copy yet!

*bows to Sir Erman the Wise*

#62 2017-01-04 20:25:42

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*sighs*

*checks tracking number again*

*sighs*

Mine is in Philadelphia, estimated arrival still Friday. What are the odds it'll get to Buffalo overnight and then out on a truck for delivery tomorrow?

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#63 2017-01-04 20:43:54

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

Just picked up my copy tonight!

So excited!

Last edited by Neemo (2017-01-04 21:24:16)

#64 2017-01-04 22:05:34

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Neemo wrote:

So excited!

Hey Neemo! :)

It is very exciting, isn't it?

#65 2017-01-04 22:36:58

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Also: THE BOOK ARRIVED TODAY!!!!!!111ONE!!!!

Yay, *celebrates!!!!111oneunoett*

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#66 2017-01-04 22:48:17

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

*sighs*

*checks tracking number again*

*sighs*

Mine is in Philadelphia, estimated arrival still Friday. What are the odds it'll get to Buffalo overnight and then out on a truck for delivery tomorrow?

Hang in there, Ad1tu! Surely the delivery people know better than to delay an Osten Ard book to someone named Aditu!

#67 2017-01-05 00:51:46

Magpie
Mantis
Website

The mailman just chased me out of bed, and I don't mind in the slightest.

*cuddles her book*
It is cold. How very appropriate.

- Tad

#68 2017-01-05 05:15:35

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

Neemo wrote:

So excited!

Yes...but I feel like a bad person now...I let the dog out when I  got home and started reading....I dozed off for about 30-40 minutes and realized that she was still outside...oops...luckily I woke up...would've been bad to leave her out overnight in this cold

Anyway...I was a bit surprised how small the book is (being an osten ard novel, even my wife said as much lol) but now I realized it's more of a short story setting up the next trilogy

Anyway we will have to add this to our re-read when we have all had tike to digest!

And congrats to those who were mentioned in Tad's opening (even tho I only recognized Firsfron and Ylvs) that is super cool!

Last edited by Neemo (2017-01-05 06:17:52)

#69 2017-01-05 05:24:02

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Neemo wrote:

Neemo wrote:

So excited!

Yes...but I feel like a bad person now...I let the dog out when I  got home and started reading....I dozed off for about 30-40 minutes and realized that she was still outside...oops...luckily I woke up...would've been bad to leave her out overnight in this cold

Anyway...I was a bit surprised how small the book is (being an ostensibly and novel, even my wife said as much lol) but now I realized it's more of a short story setting up the next trilogy

Anyway we will have to add this to our re-read when we have all had tike to digest!

And congrats to those who were mentioned in Tad's opening (even tho I only recognized Firsfron and Ylvs) that is super cool!

*waves* friendly neighbourhood Tad Williams fan here

*begin decipher script*
ostensibly = osten
and = ard
*end decipher script*

#70 2017-01-05 06:18:39

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

Oops...autocorrect strikes again...I fixed it

:)

#71 2017-01-05 06:32:15

ylvs
Mantis

Hullo Neemo, long time no see, how are you?

Thanks for the congrats. Beta reading this and TWC was actually one of the biggest joys evs.

And I like the re-read idea. And what a fast thing it'll be ...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#72 2017-01-05 07:18:03

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

Oh you know...work and family rinse and repeat...

I have so little time for reading anymore I started collecting comics again...a little reading is better than none

But I'll devour this little guy...and I'm dying to know what you guys are thinking as well

I was going to buy the book on the release date but I couldn't find my book store gift card that I had gotten for xmas ... so yea....sorry for the delay :-D

#73 2017-01-05 07:24:43

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Finally got shipment confirmation for the UK hardcover from Amazon. Should be here end of next week...!

#74 2017-01-05 07:37:30

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

#75 2017-01-05 14:25:44

ylvs
Mantis

So I posted my review on amazon.com, amazon.de, amazon.co.uk, barnesandnoble.com and goodreads.

Anything important I missed?

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

Board footer