Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.


You are not logged in.

#26 2017-01-03 11:01:13

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23130
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

ylvs wrote:

I dunno yet when book will be here. No email from bookstore yet ...

Are you hitting the "refresh" button on your email every five minutes? ;)


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#27 2017-01-03 11:01:36

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23130
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

Seitherin wrote:

Was happily waiting for me on my various devices when I got up this morning. Can't wait to dive into it.

Huzzah!


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#28 2017-01-03 11:36:00

Kenan
Pilgrim
From: Gothenburg, Sweden
Registered: 2005-06-19
Posts: 8763
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

ylvs wrote:

Kenan, I am impressed by your strenght of will to finish other book first!

I know, right! :D


Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

 

#29 2017-01-03 12:16:19

Ad1tu
Pilgrim
From: Buffysadharc
Registered: 2004-02-22
Posts: 6339

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

B&N printed a label and sent mine off to the UPS facility. No estimated time yet, but I did apparently get 3 day shipping, so maybe it'll show up Friday?! That's ok, I'm still on Stone of Farewell and I'm REALLY not sure what to do! Do I keep up with my re-read or do I break to.... OH I KNOW. I will break to read THoWWL, finish my re-read, then read THoWWL again! Ok, that'll work.


If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

 

#30 2017-01-03 21:55:39

Jeremy_Erman
Pilgrim
From: California
Registered: 2012-06-24
Posts: 262

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

I just went to the local bookstore tonight* and they had two copies on the shelf. One of them is now mine.

It's so lovely! And so elegant! I knew it was short, but I didn't realize how short: a hardcover Tad novel that doesn't require brute strength to lift!

----

*I am currently warm and dry at the library. But soon I will have to venture onto the streets again, furtively clutching The Heart of What Was Lost under my coat. For it's raining in Baychester, you see, and I have a few blocks to go.

 

#31 2017-01-03 22:08:26

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23130
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

Jeremy_Erman wrote:

I just went to the local bookstore tonight* and they had two copies on the shelf. One of them is now mine.

Woohoo! Congratulations!

I am currently warm and dry at the library. But soon I will have to venture onto the streets again, furtively clutching The Heart of What Was Lost under my coat. For it's raining in Baychester, you see, and I have a few blocks to go.

Travel carefully, my friend, and do not allow yourself to be waylaid by bandits in the rain until you get your precious cargo delivered to your home, for proper perusal!


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#32 2017-01-03 22:20:19

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23130
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

Amazon says they sent me the book, but it did not arrive. It is probably still in some cold, impersonal shipping warehouse, instead of warm and in my hands, where it rightly belongs. It is unhomed! Alas and alack! So while others merrily read HOWWL in bed tonight, their faces lit up with the joy of the written word, each page turning faster than the one before, instead my home is quiet and lonely, my abode's dark, labyrinthine halls bereft of merriment.

*sigh*


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#33 2017-01-03 23:23:37

Sahi
Mantis
From: Assendelft (the Netherlands)
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 44731
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

I'm not reading it yet either. I've already spent this month's budget, so I didn't allow myself to buy it yet.


"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

 

#34 2017-01-04 00:34:06

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13279

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

Firs my dear, maybe you exaggerate a bit? It's not as if you dunno the story. But yeah I want the finished book in all its glory as well ...


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#35 2017-01-04 01:10:25

Merenwen
Pilgrim
From: Germany
Registered: 2014-05-12
Posts: 2249

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

Oh man, I am getting nervous because a lot of you got (and read) the book already, and I have no choice but to wait...

@ylvs @Olaf Is there a way to get the english editions (of books in general, not reduced to HOWWL) on the release date here in Germany? Do you know better bookstores where I can order? That is the first time I pre-ordered an english book, and my local bookstore seems to have problems to get it.

 

#36 2017-01-04 01:22:29

Kenan
Pilgrim
From: Gothenburg, Sweden
Registered: 2005-06-19
Posts: 8763
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

Hope you can get it fast, Merenwen!

And personally, on to page 1!


Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

 

#37 2017-01-04 09:33:25

Olaf
Mantis
From: Germany
Registered: 2001-07-16
Posts: 4908
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

Merenwen wrote:

Oh man, I am getting nervous because a lot of you got (and read) the book already, and I have no choice but to wait...

@ylvs @Olaf Is there a way to get the english editions (of books in general, not reduced to HOWWL) on the release date here in Germany? Do you know better bookstores where I can order? That is the first time I pre-ordered an english book, and my local bookstore seems to have problems to get it.

Getting English language books on pub date in Germany can be difficult. However, often books start appearing sometime up to two weeks early in bookstores. I have a search archived at Abebooks.de which informs whenever a new copy of HOWWL is up for sale and many were up early. Abebooks can often get books early, as can Amazon. If you live in or near a bigger city with a decent sized bookstore, it might make sense to place a pre-order with them.


Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

 

#38 2017-01-04 09:43:17

Peter
Pilgrim
From: Austria
Registered: 2001-08-23
Posts: 39226
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

In this case either Amazon.de could not get a shipment in time or it was too small of a shipment to fulfil the preorders. So I shall have to wait a while.


May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

 

#39 2017-01-04 09:51:45

Kenan
Pilgrim
From: Gothenburg, Sweden
Registered: 2005-06-19
Posts: 8763
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

If you pre-ordered the US version amazon.de may have the same problem as amazon UK. I got an order update saying:

We're still trying to obtain the following item[s] you ordered on December 03 2016

  Williams, Tad "The Heart of What Was Lost (Osten Ard)"

We're awaiting a revised estimate from our supplier, and will email you as soon as we receive this information.

---

As I ordered both the US and UK versions, the UK one should still be shipped soon. But it hasn't gone out yet despite the fact that we have passed the publication date.


Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

 

#40 2017-01-04 09:57:13

Peter
Pilgrim
From: Austria
Registered: 2001-08-23
Posts: 39226
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

They only have one edition and it appears to be the british one. They messed up and didn't list the publisher (unless "Memory, Sorrow & Thorn" is a publisher now), but the cover is identical to the kindle and paperback editions, which are from Hodder & Stoughton.


May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

 

#41 2017-01-04 10:12:50

Magpie
Mantis
From: miraculously thistle-free town
Registered: 2006-03-27
Posts: 32667
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

Just got an email saying mine was shipped and should arrive tomorrow. Usually I'm all for saving money, but this time I was willing to pay for express delivery and also the ebook to read in the meantime. (Which I'm halfway through, I'm not very good at focussing on anything right now.)


Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

 

#42 2017-01-04 10:21:31

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23130
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

ylvs wrote:

Firs my dear, maybe you exaggerate a bit? It's not as if you dunno the story.

No, of course I know the story. But I'm sure there were changes between the ms. and the final version. Did anything I say (or you say) change some details? We didn't see the results. I want to know this!

Plus, I haven't had the pleasure of purchasing a new Osten Ard novel since To Green Angel Tower in 1993. So I'm excited!


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#43 2017-01-04 10:22:46

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23130
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

Peter wrote:

They only have one edition and it appears to be the british one. They messed up and didn't list the publisher (unless "Memory, Sorrow & Thorn" is a publisher now)

Haha! And wouldn't that be a cool publisher?


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#44 2017-01-04 10:36:23

Olaf
Mantis
From: Germany
Registered: 2001-07-16
Posts: 4908
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

My US hardcover copy will probably arrive tomorrow.


Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

 

#45 2017-01-04 10:41:06

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23130
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

Olaf wrote:

My US hardcover copy will probably arrive tomorrow.

*wishes Olaf and everyone else luck on getting their HOWWL deliveries*


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#46 2017-01-04 11:11:13

Peter
Pilgrim
From: Austria
Registered: 2001-08-23
Posts: 39226
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Peter wrote:

They only have one edition and it appears to be the british one. They messed up and didn't list the publisher (unless "Memory, Sorrow & Thorn" is a publisher now)

Haha! And wouldn't that be a cool publisher?

Proof: (kinda, the other information is 2 screens above, couldn't get it all in a screenshot)
https://twitter.com/PeterGruy/status/816707861023752195


May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

 

#47 2017-01-04 11:15:59

Seitherin
Mantis
From: Texas, near Houston
Registered: 2001-06-01
Posts: 8045
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

I will probably start reading later today. I have to finish my daytime book before I start, but I don't have that much left to go on it. I even gave up gaming so I could read. Hardly ever happens.


"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

 

#48 2017-01-04 12:43:09

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23130
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

Peter wrote:

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Peter wrote:

They only have one edition and it appears to be the british one. They messed up and didn't list the publisher (unless "Memory, Sorrow & Thorn" is a publisher now)

Haha! And wouldn't that be a cool publisher?

Proof: (kinda, the other information is 2 screens above, couldn't get it all in a screenshot)
https://twitter.com/PeterGruy/status/816707861023752195

Is this Amazon? I guess it's the same company that is selling Bin Otherland Empty.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#49 2017-01-04 13:21:26

Peter
Pilgrim
From: Austria
Registered: 2001-08-23
Posts: 39226
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

Yep Amazon.de and sold directly by them as well. They did get it right for the other editions.


May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

 

#50 2017-01-04 13:46:41

Seitherin
Mantis
From: Texas, near Houston
Registered: 2001-06-01
Posts: 8045
Website

Re: Celebrating The Heart of What Was Lost

I am on page 8. Such a familiar voice.


"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB