Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-12-22 08:22:19

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Re: QM - Winter solstice

Something good that came out of yesterday: I got a nice warm infinity scarf as my secret santa gift :) Is fuzzy & cozy

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#27 2016-12-22 08:26:08

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Yay to nice scarves!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#28 2016-12-22 08:42:20

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Bleh, my motivation is gone. Only half an hour until the Christmas party at work.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#29 2016-12-22 10:34:19

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Well, I hope you don't need motivation for the Christmas party...

I'm off to a class reunion myself. Guess I'll find out how warm the new jacket is. And I'll sorely miss the rest of the new gear, but I've never seen that and will be totally surprised when the Christkind delivers it on Saturday evening.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#30 2016-12-22 12:00:42

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

I'm enjoying my vacation at work. It's so quiet and people are demanding so little of me! I love it. Just enough work to keep me interested, but enough time to take long breaks.

I'm going to take a reading and social media fast for a few days, starting tonight. I'm kind of nervous. I'm so addicted to my phone ...

Google is telling me it's 56 minutes to get home. Google wants me to leave work EVEN earlier.

#31 2016-12-22 12:03:54

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Dragged myself off the couch and into the kitchen for more cleaning.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#32 2016-12-22 12:23:54

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Drinks have been had, bonus question has been asked, and food has been fetched. (It's in the oven now.)

Scrollbearer

#33 2016-12-22 12:24:18

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Will have to do some dusting and vacuuming after dinner.

Scrollbearer

#34 2016-12-22 12:58:54

Magpie
Mantis
Website

The good news: the kitchen cupboard with all the food is clean and organised for the first time in... I don't even want to think about it.
The bad news: I had to throw out a lot of stuff that had gone bad/moths had gotten into.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#35 2016-12-22 13:54:25

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Well at least is gone now...

Didn't get to clean after all, Ivo brought home guests.

Scrollbearer

#36 2016-12-22 17:54:40

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

House is now toasty. New furnace got installed today. It smells a little funny, but that'll pass.

Now I'm waiting for my hot glue gun to heat up so I can burn myself, I mean glue things.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#37 2016-12-22 23:20:30

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Well, I have managed to ruin my shoulder. It's been hurting a bit every now and then, but nothing like this. Not the best timing, with Christmas tomorrow and a trip next week.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#38 2016-12-22 23:21:50

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I'm glad the new furnace could be installed so quickly!

#39 2016-12-22 23:46:01

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Woohoo! Woke up to a Bert & Ernie Christmas song on the radio!

Scrollbearer

#40 2016-12-23 01:49:55

ylvs
Mantis

Gmaen Mint.

I don't want to go for groceries. It will be a zoo ...

#41 2016-12-23 02:21:16

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Too much to do in the next couple of days...

Today:
Grocery shopping
Make calendars
Wrap presents
Pick up my grandmother and take her to my mother's place (that means two hours of driving, help!)
Put up the tree with my brother
Probably go to LG's place afterwards

Tomorrow:
Go to LG's parents' place for lunch and Christmas with his family
Christmas with my family in the evening

Sunday:
Lunch at LG's grandmother's house

Monday:
Probably visiting my mother's family (at least that's what we usually do, I haven't asked yet if we will do it this year as well.)

I'm already feeling exhausted.

- Tad

#42 2016-12-23 03:15:47

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

good morning mint!

sounds like Christmas craziness is about to start for everyone. Thanks the heavens that I finished grocery shopping yesterday - the supermarket was packed with stressed people!  No fun :(

Now all what's left is to continue food preparation: I need to bake fresh bread and get the roastbeef into the sous vide and my mom will prepare a BIG bowl of fruit salat for the coming days *hums happily*

Ad1tu, glad to hear you place is warm again - however, the idea of being bundled into a nice scarf and lots of patchwork blankets does also holds it charm :)

*sends healing vibes for Peter's shoulder*

Yesterday our girl's club met for cinema and cocktails. We went to see 'Magical creatures and where to find them' and found it quite charming. The place we went to for cocktails and food was also very nice, so I might say the evening was a success. Only downsite: I had to prepare the pre-doughs after my return at midnight. Thus bread will be finished quite late today...

#43 2016-12-23 05:40:11

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I spent the day with a visit to the doctor and then a trip to buy the final present. Also had to buy some groceries to avoid starvation. That is the only reason I managed to drag myself out again as my shoulder was hurting like hell after the shopping trip (and it didn't do anything except keeping my arm from falling off like in a Tad FB profile picture).

#44 2016-12-23 05:47:18

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Typing with one hand is exceedingly difficult and slow. It seems my arm does tolerate a bit of typing though, so I can actually say "Hi and good luck getting all that stuff done!".

Shoulder is most likely a side effect of muscle tension, so I got some relaxants and painkillers. I just hope it's reasonably good by the time I travel to Berlin.

#45 2016-12-23 05:49:20

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*throws gold jellybeans at Peter's shoulder*

I got a few things done, but not as much as I would like, and now it's nearly time for me to leave.

- Tad

#46 2016-12-23 08:08:08

ylvs
Mantis

*flies by*

Time to wrap the prezzies while Husband and Daughter2.0 put up the tree and the nativity scene.

I kinda start feeling christmassy.

#47 2016-12-23 08:49:15

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Kia wrote:

Ad1tu, glad to hear you place is warm again - however, the idea of being bundled into a nice scarf and lots of patchwork blankets does also holds it charm :)

Well, I can still do that, I just have to wear light-weight pajamas instead of jeans and 2 sweaters and slippers :P

Tamishu's Ramblings

#48 2016-12-23 08:53:09

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Got some last minute errands to run. Need to see if I can find a final piece to MiL's gift, and need to pick up cards and gift cards for the impossible people *shakes head*
Then baking cookies tonight with MiL. Hopefully it's fewer types this year, and fewer ones where you have to refrigerate the dough. I like starting a cookie, and finishing a cookie, all at once. Instead of trying to multi-task. But hey, her cookies, I'm just helpin' out!

I'll probably end up swinging by the store today, buying peanut butter and hershey kisses (or maybe reese's pb cups!) and making my own peanut butter blossoms on Monday. (Because I'm off work, and what the heck else am I gonna do...lol)

Tamishu's Ramblings

#49 2016-12-23 09:06:16

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

...aaaaannnnnddddd bread is ready :)

roastbeef is still waiting for its luke-warm bath though - well, the evening is still young :-)

#50 2016-12-23 09:40:06

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Driving went fine, grandmother has been delivered. Now a few minutes at home, to do more stuff, before I head back to put up the tree...

- Tad

Board footer